Berkshire Hills Bancorp

Berkshire Hills Bancorp Reviews

Updated Jun 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Berkshire Hills Bancorp President, CEO, and Director, Berkshire Hills Bancorp and Berkshire Bank Michael P. Daly

Michael P. Daly

Amazing Culture - Doesn't trickle down

Teller I (Current Employee) Ludlow, VT

ProsThe organizational culture is amazing, the RIGHT values (Respect, Integrity, Guts, Having fun, & Teamwork) are great and really are a part of decisions that are made and daily interactions. Good benefits, especially healthcare and 401k matching.

ConsUnless you are in a higher position, monetary compensation is horrid. Be prepared to do the work of 2+ roles without having a title change or raise. BB does not give cost-of-living raises. Career opportunities are also few and far between.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo an anonymous annual work environment survey to see how your lower-level employees really feel. The CEO is extremely inspiring however it doesn't trickle down to the lower levels past the annual meeting. When career development is mentioned in coaching sessions and annual/mid-year review it would be nice to ask the employee where they want their career to go, not just what the next level of their current job entails.

Too much change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAdvancement due to huge turnover

ConsManagement is bad, too much growth.

previous employer review

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Needham, MA

ProsWas able to earn a basic living and learn new skills

Consunstable company, lays off people when profit projections are not met

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved it at first now not so much

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe hours and the prizes employees can win in goal contest

ConsEVERYTHING they have the wrong people filling the wrong positions especially management. Berkshire needs to upgrade their computer systems and have set policies procedures and train their staff better. Managers seem to become lazy and don't do ANYTHING this company was great but now with all the changes it's not "AMERICAS MOST EXCITING BANK" they need to change their logo because they cannot live up to it

Advice to Senior ManagementMike daly is a awesome CEO I have nothing bad to say about him but the rest need to check and evaluate their job titles fathers it's regionals branch managers/ assistant managers.

The Salary may be enticing, but don't do it!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBerkshire Bank used to be a great place to work, when it was a smaller hometown bank. The employees were friendly and the customers were pleasant, because they were well taken care of. But corporate greed reared its ugly head and Berkshire Bank became too big- too fast. There were not proper policies or systems in place to run a bank of its size and customer service and caring about their employees became a thing of the past. There are no longer any "pros" to working for this organization.

ConsExecutive Management has no idea what they are doing. Its all about inflating the numbers to keep the stockholders happy and hit their EPS. They do this by continuing to buy banks with no regard for the overworked staff (and sometimes underpaid staff) or back office systems that can't handle this rapid growth. They have the wrong people in the wrong positions and cannot fill simple positions even being one of the higher paying organizations in the area.
    The goals they set are highly inflated so that managers are not capable of attaining them and therefore are withheld a bonus. Massive turnover and mass exoduses of departments have left this bank very weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are all horrible people and you should be ashamed of yourselves for what you did to a perfectly good company. Oh sure, it all seems successful on paper doesn't it? If you are reading this because you are thinking of taking a job here....take my word for it...Don't. I wasted way too many years of my life here, don't make the same mistake.

My experience at Berkshire Bank was satisfying for a young person seeking full-time employment.

Teller I (Former Employee) Feeding Hills, MA

ProsSome of the pros to working for Berkshire Bank, are consistent work schedules, comparable pay to similar positions in other companies, benefits for full time employees at a reasonable cost, enjoyable staff, and occasional overtime.

ConsThe biggest downside at the time that I was employed with Berkshire Bank, was the fact that the banks intentions of growing into a nationally sized bank, kind of clashed with the customers who were used their small town banking experience that they were used to when the company was originally Woronocco Savings Bank. For the most part, people do not tend to favor change, and become set in their ways. With Berkshire Bank constantly expanding, and wanting to offer new products and solutions to their customers, along came the "retail banking" style. In my own personal experience, the customers seemed to be annoyed with sales pitches, and towards the end of my time with Berkshire Bank, employees were actually given contact sheets to start cold calling in-between customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that the intention of most companies is to grow and expand as fast and as far as possible and I cannot condemn Berkshire Bank for doing so, as they are expanding rapidly and with great success. My only advice to the Senior Management is to show a little bit more compassion to the customer. Let them know you care about their experience, and ask for their feedback. My suggestion would be more surveys. Have a survey sweepstakes to give the customer incentive. Place survey cards in the branches. Have pop up surveys on the online banking site. Also being a customer of the bank, I have not experienced any of the above suggestions.

Worked for Berkshire Hills Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!