Berlitz Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.7

Mark W. Harris

Pros
  • The work environment is pleasant (in 11 reviews)

• Opportunity to meet new people and make new contacts and connections (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely low pay- minimum wage (in 7 reviews)

• No opportunities for advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great students, great staff

Current Employee - English Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Berlitz part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent office space, nice managers, flexible schedule.

Cons

Low pay, not enough hours.

Good people at mid level, non-strategic management

I worked at Berlitz

Pros

Good brand. good colleagues. Global coverage

Cons

Non-strategic management. Declining business being managed in a very short term way

Great Career Opportunity

Current Employee - English Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - English Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Berlitz part-time

Pros

I can honestly say Berlitz was the most positive work experience I have had. The instructional managers are extremely helpful and supportive and provide great ideas and feedback. It's common to go from teaching a class of six 5 year olds to teaching a middle aged Japanese banker to a group class of Brazilian fashion designers in one day. It's always fun and interesting, and the variety of classes has really helped me become more dynamic and grow as a teacher.
    The support of the managers and fellow instructors at the Rockefeller Center location is unbelievable. I've never worked with such truly caring and kind people.

Cons

The teaching schedule changes daily and is emailed every night, which can be a bit frustrating. Even so, the staff is very good about covering classes if you are not available for the scheduled time.
    The online training is very tiring and not as comprehensive as it could be. On-site training would probably be more beneficial.

The management team here is one of the best I have ever encountered. They are all amazing. If I ever have any questions, concerns, or needs, the managers are always here to help in anyway.

Good Place to Gain Work Experience but it's a Struggle

Current Employee - Market Area Instruction Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Market Area Instruction Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Berlitz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I know that my ratings are low but I do recommend this company as a good place to start your career to gain work experience. I worked in the LA Market Area as an Instruction Manager and this position allowed me to do a number of things. Part of it was because we were shortstaffed so I had to take the reigns to learn everything. Yes it was very busy and stressful at times, but now I can say I have skills in many things including recruitment, hiring, training, HR processes, counseling, inventory, accounting, professional development, performance evaluations, etc. It was actually due to this position and my director's encouragement that I found my passion in HR.

Berlitz is also a great place to meet new people from all over the world. I think it's a great place for people to become language instructors if they want flexible, part-time work.

Cons

We were not making much profit and it definitely reflected on all of our salaries. There are no perks. Full-timers' benefits are okay; I didn't go to the doctor's very much during that time so I'm not too familiar with the package. If you're a part-timer, they may market that there is a benefits package available but it is very expensive, especially knowing how much my staff makes so I never mentioned that when I hired people unless they asked. If my salary was higher I would have stayed, but my responsibility was incredibly high for what they were paying me.

The pay is pretty low for our instructors. Berlitz really needs to pay them better as they are on the front lines of the company; they are the faces of the company. They need to be treasured and appreciated a lot more. I know that increasing compensation for them was impossible, so the Instruction Team tried their best to show recognition and appreciation by providing certificates and giftcards to instructors that go above and beyond.

During my time here (less than two years), there was incredibly high turnover at all levels. 2 out of my 3 bosses were laid off. In less than 2 years the company went through 3 CEOs so I knew they were struggling over at Princeton HQ.

Teaching is a pleasure!

I worked at Berlitz

Pros

The Berlitz method is excellent.

Cons

May not get many working hours depending of the demand of the language you are teaching.

I had a good experience and enjoy teaching there. The classes sizes are adequate, the atmosphere is collegial.

Current Employee - Teacher of French Language in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher of French Language in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at Berlitz part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is quite a lot of independence in the teaching, curriculum and class content and there is an opportunity to be creative and to add activities and materials to the program proposed. I also enjoy the flexibility in the schedule and the occasional opportunity to take on more classes and private students, as the need arises.

Cons

The basic training to the Berlitz method could be improved. The opportunity to have classes vary, is irregular from time to time, and the scheduling of class is inconsistent, with sometimes gaps between sessions and classes; also, there is no guaranty to have a minimum amount of weekly hours of teaching.

Provide better training and feedback on classes.

Excellent Experience

Current Employee - Instructor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Instructor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Berlitz part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good enviroment, good schedule, good salary. The staff is open minded, friendly, and kind.

Cons

To taylor your teaching experience to the method.

Started out with a premium product but through 15+ years of terrible management now offering sub par services.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Berlitz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about the job was having clients from all over the world and from many different industries. Very rewarding to see students improve their language skills. There are still a good amount of veteran instructors who still make the company great by taking great pride in their work (despite their low salaries).

Cons

The Berlitz method is what made this company great but sadly it's no longer used by most of its instructors. Training in the method has not happened since the 1990s. The books are not updated regularly and are not worth what they charge. This is evident in the new English, Spanish, Italian, French, German binder format books.

Teachers are not paid to prepare for classes and as a result many show up unprepared. There is no quality control. Lack of transparency in pricing. What are students paying for if programs are not customized, teachers are not prepared, books are not good, and there is serious under staffing which causes problems in class scheduling? Almost all language schools are understaffed and the staff that is there is overwhelmed and underpaid.

If Berlitz were to re-focus on the method and on providing better quality products, they could keep their high prices. If the quality is not there, then students will not be willing to pay for the "premium brand" service they are offered.

Instructors should be paid a living wage and outstanding instructors should help mold and develop better books for the company.

Satisfying job, very low pay

Current Employee - Language Instructor in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Language Instructor in McLean, VA

I have been working at Berlitz part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a relative freedom in the teaching methods and style. Administrative staff is very communicative. The hours are set by the instructor initially, and if there is a match, then you get the student and the hours you want to work.

Cons

Extremely low pay- minimum wage. It takes the fun out of the job really. I would recommend this job for someone who's looking to get experience, not pay rent.

Increase instructors' pay.

I learned new Teaching system

Current Employee - Spanish Instructor in Laredo, TX
    Current Employee - Spanish Instructor in Laredo, TX

I have been working at Berlitz part-time (more than an year)

Pros

To talk face to face is wonderful

Cons

I have extended my teaching experience.