Berlitz

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
2.7

Mark W. Harris

Pros
  • The work environment is pleasant (in 12 reviews)

• It's better and has more flexible schedule than Aeon and others (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely low pay- minimum wage (in 9 reviews)

• No opportunities for advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful people and atmosphere

Current Employee - Service Representative
    Current Employee - Service Representative

I have been working at Berlitz full-time

Pros

The benefits are not bad and people are wonderful.

Cons

The salary is not very competitive.

Management

Former Employee - Language Center Director in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Language Center Director in Miami, FL

I worked at Berlitz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Berlitz is a global training company and has provided various types of training to their employees to meet the company's needs. Excellent methodology and a growing product offering via online and cultural programs as well as Leadership programs for companies.

Cons

Berlitz has lost it's appeal by constant upper management changes that have the company changing directions constantly and has affected their market share over the last 5 years. In addition to poor upper management practices Berlitz has lost touch with reality as to the customer's needs. It has allowed the competition to grow their market share by over pricing their products and lack of creativity in finding the right programs to meet the customer's needs.
    There is very little room for growth within the company after you become a manager.

Keep to the philosophy of being a premium brand however understand that you can be a premium brand yet it can also be affordable to a large audience. Starbucks has a 6 dollar cup of coffee but it also has a 2 dollar cup. Yet both are from premium brand company. In addition the management style used by Berlitz is to intimidate rather than mentor. Fear management can only last so long. Berlitz will loose their bright managers because ultimately who wants to feel threatened at work on a daily basis. The career tract at Berlitz needs to be re-evaluated and find ways to promote those who are successful.

Great People, Poor Pay

I worked at Berlitz

Pros

Wonderful coworkers. Also a great opportunity to tutor interesting students.

Cons

Very low hourly pay rate.

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Berlitz as a contractor

Pros

People are great, hourly rate competitive, easy to work with

Cons

Contract work was dependent on client demand, so hours not regular, although that is the nature of freelance/contract employment.

Great students, great staff

Current Employee - English Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Berlitz part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent office space, nice managers, flexible schedule.

Cons

Low pay, not enough hours.

Good people at mid level, non-strategic management

I worked at Berlitz

Pros

Good brand. good colleagues. Global coverage

Cons

Non-strategic management. Declining business being managed in a very short term way

Atmosphere is negative, staff is underpaid and overworked; most employees are friendly.

I have been working at Berlitz

Pros

Most teachers work hard and even though training is lacking, they are professional and try to deliver a good product.

Cons

Management seems to have lost direction, the main purpose seems to be to sell as many lessons as possible, employee turnover is very high due to minimal training, guidance and low pay.

Teaching at Berlitz

Current Employee - Language Instructor in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Language Instructor in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Berlitz part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provide basic training for teaching a language using their method. You don't have to have had prior experience as a teacher to get a job there. It could be good for getting experience teaching. Also good if you have a flexible schedule and you don't really need the income (second or part time job)

Cons

I would say that pay was the biggest issue. I never knew if I was going to have work and for how long. There wasn't that much feed back on how I was doing. I felt a bit like I was on my own on how to follow their method. Here is the book...go teach

Lowest pay rate ever... Poor management

Former Employee - Language Instructor in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Language Instructor in Vienna, VA

I worked at Berlitz part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training provided, fellow teachers and some of the staff.

Cons

Very low salary.
    Poor managerial practices.

Offer better compensation to limit employees turnover.

Some managerial employee need to be replaced (poor management practices, unprofessional demeanor).

Great Career Opportunity

Current Employee - English Instructor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - English Instructor in New York, NY

I have been working at Berlitz part-time

Pros

I can honestly say Berlitz was the most positive work experience I have had. The instructional managers are extremely helpful and supportive and provide great ideas and feedback. It's common to go from teaching a class of six 5 year olds to teaching a middle aged Japanese banker to a group class of Brazilian fashion designers in one day. It's always fun and interesting, and the variety of classes has really helped me become more dynamic and grow as a teacher.
    The support of the managers and fellow instructors at the Rockefeller Center location is unbelievable. I've never worked with such truly caring and kind people.

Cons

The teaching schedule changes daily and is emailed every night, which can be a bit frustrating. Even so, the staff is very good about covering classes if you are not available for the scheduled time.
    The online training is very tiring and not as comprehensive as it could be. On-site training would probably be more beneficial.

The management team here is one of the best I have ever encountered. They are all amazing. If I ever have any questions, concerns, or needs, the managers are always here to help in anyway.