Bernard Hodes

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alan V. Schwartz

Great people!

Collections/Acct Coordinator (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsI worked in Collections in NY and as an Acct Coordinator in Orlando, FL, 2007 and 2008. Had a great desk in NY with ample workspace. My manager in NY was very supportive and had a real passion for what he did. Orlando people could not have been any more nicer and supportive. Great benefits!

ConsSome people complained more than they worked. They needed to replace the complacent workers and promote the competent.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeed out the dead wood.

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, atmosphere and work-life balance

ConsSalary could be better, but offset by work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementOK

Complete Disappointment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat and talented co workers

ConsPoorly managed, disengaged from the people and way to much politics going on for such a small company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove on and let the next generation take over. Your hey days are over.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A company in constant upheaval, politics were rampant.

Copy Director/Senior Copywriter (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSome wonderful, friendly, kind people to work with. Also, a good work/life balance.

ConsPeople were getting laid off right and left. This led to an atmosphere of being under siege at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, care about what they have to say to you. Happier employees will be more productive for you. Give them a chance to grow and prosper. Don't be in such an ivory tower.

Great Experience Until Findly Acquired

National Digital Team Member (Former Employee)

ProsRemote work options, great work life balance, decent benefits & pay
    I loved my manager, he trusted me to do my job and let me be. Co-workers are helpful and you have the opportunity to work with some very well known companies.

ConsRegions are siloed, projects are organized chaos at best, don't expect cost of living raises, most development is outsourced to India, no development best practices, some career sites are great while others are a mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe place went down hill since Findly acquired. Lots of lay-offs and leadership in not honest. "There will be no layoffs" But there have been 3 sets of layoffs since July and I'm sure more to come. When they decide to dismiss you, they treat you like a criminal. HR should apply some of what they preach to clients. Stop hiring overpaid executives an keep the people around that are DOING the work. Stop making lay-off decisions based on senority.

Was a leader at one time then politics got in the way

New York, NY

ProsExceptional clients who were leaders in their fields were a pleasure to work with. Some very creative people worked there but gradually most of them lost their jobs

ConsPolitics, weak leadership, inflexible leaders and favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the new leaders take charge

Great Place to Work!

ProsGreat learning experience while working here.

ConsNothing that has restricted from this experience.

Been struggling for several years, but am hopeful with the recent purchase things will be more stable.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSmart dedicated employees, who are extremely client focused.

ConsManagement unsure of how to harness talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementRely heavily on new Findly management team to provide a strategy.

Incompetently run organization--maybe the new owners might do some good.

Account Director (Current Employee)

ProsSomewhat personable and had a family run legacy. To some degree very casual and approachable management style where you can do your own thing.

ConsNo structure, getting projects done is like pulling teeth. No collaboration between departments. As long as the legacy business was somewhat prevalent, the agency had something to hang onto. Not any more.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really sold the new owners a bill a goods! I just can't see how the company can survive in this intensely digital and integrated world.

Lost glory

Strategy (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsBernard Hodes was the recruitment brand buster in the 1990s.

ConsAbout six years ago, an old fashioned and inflexible management team returned to the New York office. This leadership team seems stuck in the 1980s and aggressively squashed down any innovative or creative thinking. This led to a massive talent drain and eventual loss of most of the marquee clients. The economic downturn and NY leadership's inability to adapt pretty much decimated the office, and the place feels like a ghost ship run by a skeleton crew. The saddest part is a fearful and undermining culture where the junior and mid-level staffers are too afraid to ask questions or make suggestions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorkplace culture starts at the top. If you want a nimble, collaborative and forward-thinking agency, you need nimble, collaborative and forward-thinking leaders

Worked for Bernard Hodes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bernard Hodes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bernard Hodes CEO Alan V. Schwartz. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Bernard Hodes employees.