Bertucci's Reviews

Updated April 1, 2015
69 reviews filtered by

Not ideal for long term.

Former Employee - Busser.
    Former Employee - Busser.

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Basic employee perks (Discounted food, free fountain drinks).

- Might be alright if you need a temporary 1 year job while looking for something better. But that's the most I can recommend.

Cons

- Promotions are nearly nonexistent in the company.

- Lack of Hours.

- Training in areas outside of your own highly unlikely, if ever, to be provided, even if requested. The same applies to request for more hours.

-Management demands honesty from workers, but does not hold self to same values. (I.E. If you ask for the above training or hours, expect to be given an empty response of "We'll see if there's something", with no further follow-up on the matter from them.)

- Management does not hold self to same standards as employees. Example: If an employee makes a mistake on a dish, they'll be ordered to re-fire the dish and get it right. If a Manager or Supervisor messes up a dish and a server brings it back, they will give a bored, nonchalant response. (I.E. "Ok, whatever, I don't know what I'm doing/how to do this.")

- High Turnover job

- Failure to hold regular one-on-one reviews with employees to discuss issues or concerns. Only responds to issues and concerns long after they have escalated to a point where an employee feels they need to leave the company or call HR.

- Was once told by a former manager of the location I worked at, in 2009, to lie to the state court system about being unable to serve for Jury Duty, by making up some self-slandering excuse. (Manager's "Advice" was summarily ignored for obvious legal reasons)

- Failure to properly inform staff when their position is looking to be eliminated entirely by the company.

- HR hotline fails to respond in a timely manner to concerns raised by Employees

Advice to Management

Talking about your company's values in the employee handbook, then ignoring them in practice, while lying to employees will not gain loyalty, nor inspire staff to put out their best effort. In my case, it was resigning from this company after working at one location for 6 years, having never received any requested training to further my career. This hurts your employees, and your company's image.

I found out that several weeks after I had resigned due to failure to receive training and hours, that all co-workers in the same position at the location were let go, and surprised by it after being promised more hours after summer.

2. It was okay

Former Employee - Dishwasher in Orange, CT
    Former Employee - Dishwasher in Orange, CT

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food almost every night

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity

3. okay

I have been working at Bertucci's

Pros

great people and great brand with passionate following

Cons

high turnover, older brand stories and changing leadership

from a management level

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Bertucci's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people that work here.... But every place has those, is this enough to make it worth it?

Cons

The company itself is in a rebuilding phase after years of no clear path being laid out and focus being taken off the guest and instead put solely on numbers.

Unfortunately the new CEO although he preaches about AGS (Absolute Customer Satisfaction), he handcuffs management with lower budgets across the board that hampers us from achieving this. Work harder with less is a common situation during rebuilding, but what suffers is the service. Management across the board spends more time on the line cooking than they do managing which leaves many things chaotic and unorganized.

Good restaurants with great customer service and managers on the floor at all times might run a 25% labor. We as a company are budgeted for 17%-19% which means management picks up the slack for the lack of hourly labor. Corporate is more concerned with validating their jobs than making things easier for us in the trenches. I understand that they are afraid for their jobs, and have conformed to doing everything the CEO wants. They have seen that you need to conform to him or else go. This would be ok if he was here to stay, but we all know he as a CEO gets companies showing a profit and ready for sale and then leaves. I could be wrong but this is what he did at Mccormick and Schmick's with a multi-million dollar payout. Every day new procedures and changes are emailed out from corporate to the point where most of us get lost in their wake and are weeks behind. It isn't until that new memo that came out, that then becomes the "flavor of the week" and is pushed by ADs (Area Directors), that everyone is made to focus on this immediately. Everything else (labor, cleanliness, sales, etc) get forgotten as they drive home this new idea and that is all you hear from everyone. Then eventually two weeks later, it gets forgotten about when everything else suffers and numbers start to turn sour. This doesn't help management as we all work 60-70 hours each week (mostly cooking) and only have short amounts of time in between to focus on the overall picture.

Moral amongst management level is at an all time low as the bonus program has been such an impossible goal to reach as more and more "clauses" get tacked on. This raises the bar on what you must pass and achieve to actually qualify. This unfortunately has everyone on the same "bus" believing that their sacrifices, especially quality of life, is no longer worth it. Lower management (AM's) have high turnover and low productivity as they get overworked, overwhelmed and underpaid. The few solid ones we have soon learn that there is almost no way to get fired (besides stealing) and fall into the rut with the rest of the under-aspired AMs that are shuffled around to "bandaid" manager shortages.

Concepts: Corporate has launched two new concepts in the past few years. Two Ovens and Bertucci's Concept Kitchen. Both different from the original concept, it seems that these are lifeboats they are testing to try to save the company. Two ovens, unfortunately didn't work and after building one, they've halted all and gone another direction. This unfortunately diversifies the attention of corporate as they are many times so busy with the new concepts that the foundation of what Bertucci's really needs (updated computer systems, updated facilities, etc).

Pay is 40k-60k for assistants, 55k-65k for GMs on average. The bad point of coming up in the company from an hourly is that they will low ball you to death. Come in at a good rate as an AM or else you'll never reach anything without having to switch companies. The only way to get any significant pay increase is to get a huge promotion (like from AM to GM) or else threaten to quit and "be convinced to stay" with a pay bump. I've seen this happen quite a bit and too many times it was for someone they should have let go for the better of the company and "replaced" with someone new. The problem is we hang on to those that should be turned as far as AMs.

In the end, it's the guests that suffer and their experience... AGS is a great ideal, but give us the tools to achieve this! Labor is the most expensive line in any restaurant, but people and service is what sets the experience.

Advice to Management

Upper management... Help us in the trenches, don't make it more impossible for us. You've already set us for failure setting bars too high and then chopping our legs out from under us. There's no need to hire more and more people up at corporate just to, you need to simplify things, not make them more complicated. Fix the foundation of this company first, don't just "patchwork it" with a new coat of paint to make it look shiny and new. Most of us work and try hard. Do us a favor and get rid of the ones that don't and give the rest of us a reason to want to kill ourselves for you. Most managers are looking elsewhere and it's only finding the next right move that's holding them back.

I prefer as most do for a company that appreciates their employees and takes care of them. I as a manager bend over backwards to do that for my hourly whenever possible. I wish Bertucci's was a corporation like Market Basket. We just went through watching how dedicated the employees were to Arthur T. DeMoulas and what they did for him in return for what he's done for them. This is the opposite unfortunately at Bertucci's.

6. Amazing Company

I have been working at Bertucci's

Pros

Really take care of their people, and the hours give you a chance to have a good quality of life.

Cons

Pay could be better, and they could be a little disorganized at times.

7. Not worth it

I have been working at Bertucci's

Pros

A set schedule is the only pro.

Cons

people are really overworked and underpaid, lak of quality training

Advice to Management

Stop focussing on quantity and focus more on quality.

8. Overall an enjoyable experience

Former Employee - Carryout in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Carryout in Boston, MA

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly dealing with friendly guests and coworkers, good potential to grow to a higher position if you work hard.

Cons

Management can sometimes be disorganized when it gets busy and then people get yelled at.

9. Ok to work here

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The customers and the staff!

Cons

Customers with pesky little kids

10. Room for improvement

Former Employee - Server in Springfield, VA
    Former Employee - Server in Springfield, VA

I worked at Bertucci's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great and very close to one another! New young, professional store management team. Upper level management frequently makes visits to each store.

Cons

Extremely high turnover with new employees. Many changes to company each season brought dissatisfaction to loyal customers. Lack of staff caused issues with scheduling and time-off requests.

Advice to Management

Consider a change to the training program to ensure employment and overall knowledge in newcomers.

11. Great place to work for high school students

Current Employee - Hostess in Warrington, PA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Warrington, PA

I have been working at Bertucci's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, easy work, face paced

Cons

Low pay, management is not organized

Advice to Management

Better training, take job more seriously