Bertucci's

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Bill Freeman

Pros
  • food is good ,,,manager love the food they even invite friends and family to eat (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule, and a pleasant work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high turnover with new employees (in 3 reviews)

• There also needs to be monetary support for current restaurants that need additional materials or updates (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

from a management level

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Bertucci's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great people that work here.... But every place has those, is this enough to make it worth it?

Cons

The company itself is in a rebuilding phase after years of no clear path being laid out and focus being taken off the guest and instead put solely on numbers.

Unfortunately the new CEO although he preaches about AGS (Absolute Customer Satisfaction), he handcuffs management with lower budgets across the board that hampers us from achieving this. Work harder with less is a common situation during rebuilding, but what suffers is the service. Management across the board spends more time on the line cooking than they do managing which leaves many things chaotic and unorganized.

Good restaurants with great customer service and managers on the floor at all times might run a 25% labor. We as a company are budgeted for 17%-19% which means management picks up the slack for the lack of hourly labor. Corporate is more concerned with validating their jobs than making things easier for us in the trenches. I understand that they are afraid for their jobs, and have conformed to doing everything the CEO wants. They have seen that you need to conform to him or else go. This would be ok if he was here to stay, but we all know he as a CEO gets companies showing a profit and ready for sale and then leaves. I could be wrong but this is what he did at Mccormick and Schmick's with a multi-million dollar payout. Every day new procedures and changes are emailed out from corporate to the point where most of us get lost in their wake and are weeks behind. It isn't until that new memo that came out, that then becomes the "flavor of the week" and is pushed by ADs (Area Directors), that everyone is made to focus on this immediately. Everything else (labor, cleanliness, sales, etc) get forgotten as they drive home this new idea and that is all you hear from everyone. Then eventually two weeks later, it gets forgotten about when everything else suffers and numbers start to turn sour. This doesn't help management as we all work 60-70 hours each week (mostly cooking) and only have short amounts of time in between to focus on the overall picture.

Moral amongst management level is at an all time low as the bonus program has been such an impossible goal to reach as more and more "clauses" get tacked on. This raises the bar on what you must pass and achieve to actually qualify. This unfortunately has everyone on the same "bus" believing that their sacrifices, especially quality of life, is no longer worth it. Lower management (AM's) have high turnover and low productivity as they get overworked, overwhelmed and underpaid. The few solid ones we have soon learn that there is almost no way to get fired (besides stealing) and fall into the rut with the rest of the under-aspired AMs that are shuffled around to "bandaid" manager shortages.

Concepts: Corporate has launched two new concepts in the past few years. Two Ovens and Bertucci's Concept Kitchen. Both different from the original concept, it seems that these are lifeboats they are testing to try to save the company. Two ovens, unfortunately didn't work and after building one, they've halted all and gone another direction. This unfortunately diversifies the attention of corporate as they are many times so busy with the new concepts that the foundation of what Bertucci's really needs (updated computer systems, updated facilities, etc).

Pay is 40k-60k for assistants, 55k-65k for GMs on average. The bad point of coming up in the company from an hourly is that they will low ball you to death. Come in at a good rate as an AM or else you'll never reach anything without having to switch companies. The only way to get any significant pay increase is to get a huge promotion (like from AM to GM) or else threaten to quit and "be convinced to stay" with a pay bump. I've seen this happen quite a bit and too many times it was for someone they should have let go for the better of the company and "replaced" with someone new. The problem is we hang on to those that should be turned as far as AMs.

In the end, it's the guests that suffer and their experience... AGS is a great ideal, but give us the tools to achieve this! Labor is the most expensive line in any restaurant, but people and service is what sets the experience.

Upper management... Help us in the trenches, don't make it more impossible for us. You've already set us for failure setting bars too high and then chopping our legs out from under us. There's no need to hire more and more people up at corporate just to, you need to simplify things, not make them more complicated. Fix the foundation of this company first, don't just "patchwork it" with a new coat of paint to make it look shiny and new. Most of us work and try hard. Do us a favor and get rid of the ones that don't and give the rest of us a reason to want to kill ourselves for you. Most managers are looking elsewhere and it's only finding the next right move that's holding them back.

I prefer as most do for a company that appreciates their employees and takes care of them. I as a manager bend over backwards to do that for my hourly whenever possible. I wish Bertucci's was a corporation like Market Basket. We just went through watching how dedicated the employees were to Arthur T. DeMoulas and what they did for him in return for what he's done for them. This is the opposite unfortunately at Bertucci's.

Great place to work for high school students

Current Employee - Hostess in Warrington, PA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Warrington, PA

I have been working at Bertucci's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment, easy work, face paced

Cons

Low pay, management is not organized

Better training, take job more seriously

eh

Current Employee - Line Cook in Glastonbury, CT
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Glastonbury, CT

I have been working at Bertucci's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only upside is having my friends around me at my work

Cons

There is a lack of teamwork between the cooks, front of the house, and managers. A lot of the people here tend to try to find the easy way out or are lazy. I literally hate working here. As a cook you're not allowed to eat any of the food unless paid for. I personally work my butt off every night to make sure that my station is cleaned and all the managers care about is their labor hours ( getting you out early). I"m a guy that likes to do a good job because my name is on it. That tends to mean nothing here. Everyone is too worried about themselves than to work as a team. I would never recommend working in salad here especially. I HATE IT!!! Working pizza is the best for a cook. Also the waiters and front of the house get all the praise and attention with things like money prizes for making the most money.... really... you made a boat load of money and you get more? what about the cooks, and dishwashers that bust their humps to get your food. Also the servers have no respect for the cooks and you are always given an attitude.

Work on the teamwork in the building! help the servers and the cooks appreciate one another and realize it's not all about yourself.

Decent for a college student

Current Employee - Hostess in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Hostess in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bertucci's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Decent pay. Great co-workers.

Cons

Management wasn't adequate. You could tell she played favorites (especially with the male employees)

It was fine

Current Employee - Waiter in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Waiter in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Bertucci's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good food ok thats it

Cons

Bad customers ok thats it

Keep up the good work?

Host

Former Employee - Host in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Host in Needham, MA

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I Didn't have a lot of work to do when it was slow and I usually got to leave earlier than other co-workers.

Cons

They rarely had me working more than 15 hours a week and when it was busy management often did a poor job delegating responsibilities or was understaffed. In one instance when it busy I making sure that none of the waiters would be overwhelmed so we had a 10-15 minute wait. My manager at the time came up and seated all of the customers against my best judgment, within 10 minutes 3 separate waiters yelled at me for overwhelming them with too many customers.

Don't micro manage your employee's and follow through with your promises when hiring new employee's.

Fast environment for quick money

Former Employee - Server in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being a server here allows you to set your own schedule which is helpful if you are a college student.

You can work as little as 1 or 2 shifts and make $150 on a very good night.

Great way to meet people and make connections for future opportunities.

Cons

Very, very fast paced work environment.

High stress during peak days and hours.

Off peak hours and days you make very little money depending on the location of your restaurant, do your homework on the location.

Training of servers should be more comprehensive. I did not feel as if I knew the computer system well enough when I started.

A varied experience

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun staff, simple menu, much easier than waiting tables at a high end restaurant

Cons

Inconsistent management, huge variation in tips from night to night/location

Care about what matters like good service with your waiters and don't nit pick little things that are irrelevent. Also hire enough staff

Decent part-time experience

Former Employee - Hostess
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Bertucci's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-you get a portion of the servers's tip-out which is cool
    -if you worked there part-time for a couple of months, save the tip-out money, it can add up!
    -ideal time to get hired/work at restaurants is september-january because that's when a lot of holidays come up, families eat out, and you get more tip.
    -my boss was friendly and flexible
    -servers I've worked with were nice and approachable
    -everyone helps each other out

Cons

-start off minimum wage
    -extended work hours especially if your shift is near closing time
    -expect your work shift to be cut if it is not busy, or extended if it gets crowded
    -on holiday weekends, expect to work long hour shifts

-increase minimum wage

No respect for employees

I worked at Bertucci's

Pros

If in a good location, money can be steady.

Cons

No respect for employees, questionable business practices.