Best Best & Krieger

Updated June 29, 2014
Updated June 29, 2014
3.6

Eric L. Garner

The best place I have ever worked.

Current Employee - Legal Secretary  in  Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Best Best & Krieger full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Interesting work, great bosses, wonderful benefits, great team spirit. I have been with them for over 10 years and I can't imagine working anywhere else. It is the people that make it a special place to work.

Cons

I can think of anything. I have worked for law firms for that last 30 years and this has been my best job.

Too good to be true. Sadly, i left my STABLE job to come to this place, and was given no direction.

Former Employee - Litigation Secretary  in  Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Litigation Secretary in Riverside, CA

I worked at Best Best & Krieger full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice support staff. Attorneys -... not so much. Nice congenial office.

Cons

Deceptive environment. No mentoring given by some of the attorney staff which makes it hard ro acclamate yourself when you have no idea what they truly want as far as work product and give you no feedback to help you.

You should not hire people you know will fail when hiring for partners thar can't seem to work with others. Partners are allowed to just cut people out without any REAL reason or any JUSTIFIABLE excuse. Not vey nice.

Great Local Law Firm

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Best Best & Krieger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful learning opportunities for young associates. Young associates are given a lot of responsibility early. Numerous departments and associates are encouraged to try several before settling on a particular area of practice. The summer program is particularly impressive and a great deal of time is spent with summer associates.

Cons

Not sufficient mentoring for the amount of responsibility. Some succeed, but many will wash out. Lots of marketing and non-billables. It is getting harder to make partner and leadership is getting top heavy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you have to work I. A law firm . . .

Former Employee - Attorney, 5th-Year  in  Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Attorney, 5th-Year in Riverside, CA

I worked at Best Best & Krieger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are some really smart people working on some really important and interesting cases. Most of the partners are willing to teach and work with a new associate when they have time. I distinctly remember one busy partner calling me into his office, sitting down at his work table and talking with me about the changes he proposed to a draft of a brief I was preparing. I will always appreciate the instruction he gave me, instead of just handing me a redlined document. Years later, while he still made suggested edits to my arguments from time to time, I truly felt he valued my opinion. If you are smart and willing to work hard, a younger associate will get more opportunities here than anywhere else. Support staff is simply amazing. Attorneys have control over their own schedules, no mandatory clock-in and clock-out times.

Cons

Bonus structure had some flaws. Failed to reward the most competent. There is a lot of marketing and non billable activities. Otherwise, the cons are the same as with any firm: long hours, hectic schedule, sometimes difficult clients.

Don't plan on staying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Best Best & Krieger

Pros

Legal knowledge of senior attorneys is awesome
    Salary is ok
    Co-workers are great
    401k is ok
    casual Friday
    Administrative staff tries very hard

Cons

Not a place for continued growth. If you choose to work here, get the experience and get out as soon as you can. Some senior attorneys get away with things they would not be able to get away with at any other firm. Very unfair how employees can be treated. I don't think some of the partners have ever had any type of management training because many of them are horrible managers. They micromanage and don't trust their staff at all. Some departments can be better than others. I would not plan on making this a long term career stop as they do not value their employees. Have seen them hire people and throw work at them they are not capable of handling and then get angry at employee for not being able to do job. A lot of employee turnover.

If you are hired by this firm, get the experience, but keep looking for something else. This is not a place for long term growth or satisfaction with the direction of your career.

Treat people consistently. You have senior partners who do not know how to manage people and you will eventually get sued over their treatment of people.

Great!

Current Employee - Summer Associate  in  Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Best Best & Krieger

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

salary is on the low end

None.

This is an okay place to work, but could definitely use some management that is not afraid to change things.

Former Employee - Legal Secretary  in  Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Best Best & Krieger

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, casual Fridays, 401k and benefits are decent, attorneys are nice and don't talk down to staff, staffing ratios are still manageable.

Cons

Management does not communicate with anyone other than partners and lets everyone else guess at what is happening. Gossip runs rampant. Staff are not paid up to market levels. Drama is created by people, but management will do nothing about it because it's easier than finding someone new to hire. Too many people leaving the firm and not being replaced.

Home office should be more communicative with other offices, especially when a lot of people are leaving a particular office and you are not replacing them. You should hire managers that are actually trained in managing.

A great start

I have been working at Best Best & Krieger

Pros

A great place to work. Good people. Interesting and challenging work. Very good atmosphere and support staff. Flexibility and autonomy are high.

Cons

The pay is not commensurate with other firms performing the same level of work. The difference in pay from one year to the next is usually lower than the rate of inflation. The firm does not compensate for client development. Management is not responsive to the market. For these reasons, the firm has a dearth of mid-level associates. Most associates leave after second year. On the bright side, this makes for great work for a young attorney.

Compensate associates for client development. Get closer to competitive pay with other firms. Increase pay at a higher rate.

Worked for Best Best & Krieger? Contribute to the Community!