Best Buddies International

Be The First To
Add Photos

ANTHONY K. SHRIVER

Amazing

I have been working at Best Buddies International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMany opportunities to grow. The ability to give feedback and see changes implemented. Fantastic benefits and meaningful mission. The leadership team is down to earth and approachable and the founder and chairman makes himself available to anyone who wants or needs to speak with him. One of a kind organization!

ConsNot enough opportunities for Program Managers to stay once they reach 3 years of employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working together on behalf of the mission.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Experience at BBI

I worked at Best Buddies International full-time

ProsThis organization works towards a great cause and keeps its mission in mind. They offer great support to many programs and have great events.

ConsBBI is a non-profit that sometimes experiences the bottlenecks and frustration that occurs within a non-profit environment. Positions could be paid more.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the system.

Good, rewarding place to work: the culture of nice

Grant Writer (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at Best Buddies International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent benefits and generous time off.

ConsCompensation is a bit low.

Advice to Senior ManagementI had no problem with management. The only problem was me and I got burned out.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Best Buddies was overall a great experience getting to know coworkers and amazing participants.

I worked at Best Buddies International full-time for more than a year

ProsGetting to know the participants and be involved in the programs and events. Being apart of a larger advocacy community working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

ConsHQ is often too focused on fundraising and special events not giving enough energy to program development and evaluation. Fundraising staff do not have enough interaction or knowledge of the programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore focusing on expansion really work on evaluating your model to make it replicable and scalable.

great organization

I worked at Best Buddies International

ProsSmall office thus working closely with others

ConsLots of politics to play. Low pay grade

Very disillusioning place to work

I worked at Best Buddies International full-time

ProsGreat health benefits and training opportunities. Programs departments are great places to work.

ConsDevelopment departments and upper management treat lower level employees like work horses and will not train you into becoming a full member of the staff. Do not expect much assistance in moving upward in this department

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest your time into your support staff and they will shine.

Disorganized company with a good heart and a fun place to work!

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Best Buddies International full-time for more than a year

ProsIt was relaxed and fun environment. Everyone is nice and really fun to work with. Best Buddies does good things for the community. You don't have to spend too much time in the office.

ConsIt was a mess and really disorganized. Managers did not get along and would disagree with headquarters and fight. There were inconsistent messages.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to communicate better and learn to lead by example.

Nice Entry Level Job, No Room for Advancement

I have been working at Best Buddies International full-time

ProsGreat people, fun work atmosphere, laid back approach to work. I really loved the coworkers. The amount of time off is amazing.

ConsLow low compensation. Depends on your job and department, but your workload may not be challenging. Very very little room for advancement or career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and provide more compensation, room for professional growth and development, and

Program Manager

Program Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Best Buddies International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to start straight out of college. Young workforce which makes it feel like you are really never working. Have to do a lot of different responsibilities, but helps you learn a lot of the experience.

ConsMission is not strong enough to really convince lots of people to support the cause... Find a lot of negativity because it is a volunteer based organization, and most are young students who do not truly dedicate themselves to being true friends to people with disabilities. Don't get paid a lot starting out, but on the upside can increase your pay quickly if you meet the goals set forth from your supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization and learning that Best Buddies International is also a part of the smaller offsite offices around the country.

Good Charity - Poor Management

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Best Buddies International full-time for less than a year

ProsOccasionally enables you to leave the office to visit schools or participate in community events. The charity itself works well for those with intellectual disabilities which can be very satisfying and rewarding.

ConsManagement style is extremely poor. Management tends to remind employees who signs the paycheques. They also tend to over micro-manage and harbours a hostile work environment.

High staff turnover due to the work environment and management, and low compensation. Board of Directors do not have much of a presence as they only go based off what management tells them. Staff often do not last longer than a year, and often leave well before their contract ends. Management can be very condescending especially if it's your first job or you're an intern.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to provide proper employee feedback and input a consistent training system, in order to maximize employee success. 3-Month reviews consist of the employee telling them what they think they do correctly, and they reply with everything you do wrong. Learn to appreciate your employees for what they contribute, considering they're definitely not in it for the pay.

Focus on quality over quantity. Remember who you're doing it for, and not just for how many people. High staff turnover and dissatisfaction stems directly from poor management styles and catering to their personalities.

Worked for Best Buddies International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buddies International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buddies International CEO ANTHONY K. SHRIVER. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Best Buddies International employees.