Best Buy Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • Great Benefit with the employee discount in the stores (in 780 reviews)

• Great discount plan (yes not as good as it used to be (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work / life balance as a manager (in 217 reviews)

• Not a lot of full time openings (in 199 reviews)

1. salesman

Current Employee - Sony Expert in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Sony Expert in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Fun positive environment , great discount

Cons

Work most weekends, and nights

2. Don't do it.

Current Employee - Inventory, Merch, Security in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Inventory, Merch, Security in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No punishment for poor actions ,A couple loyal nice co-workers, Bosses are easy to get along with... sometimes too easy. Scheduling/flexibility depending on supervisor, discount

Cons

No punishment for poor actions, Pay system, Core job responsibilities, Favoritism, Moving up in company is a joke, (GM was on his last day of his two weeks and did a leadership interview for me, couldn't care less),

Advice to Management

Wake up. Get better.

3. The Best Buy Promise

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY

Pros

Helps develop multi tasking skills Flexible Scheduling Adaptaptable Warm and friendly environment

Cons

Can sometimes be too competitive even though "we don't work on commission" Sometimes unrealistic expectations such as credit card application quotas whien given minimal hours

Advice to Management

Be more relaxed about check ins and binders!

5. Death Spiral

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Friends and having a good time

Cons

Leaders hate their jobs because of all the restructuring in operating models and unubtainable goals for a company in a death spiral. Highly political and inconsistent from top down. No more growth potential, the company is dying. When I started my 7 year tenure there were 15 leadership positions in my store, now there is 6. Alost everyone I have known have either left on their own or been layed off. Oh, the pay is not comparable to the industry and this also makes the culture more hostile.

Advice to Management

Hubert wants to cut everything. Im sure many more stores will be closing in the next few years.

6. Sales consultant

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Managers are always pushing you to reach sales goal. Assistant always available.

Cons

Very low paid and leaders need to be well trained because they know nothing more compare to a regular sales associate.

Advice to Management

Train your leaders so they'll know how guide their team.

7. Don't go on a medical leave of absence unless you want to get fired

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got to meet great people and I learned a lot from my three years of working at Best Buy and the employee discount was great. I started on the Sales Floor and Then went to cashing and then I was working in the warehouse unloading the trucks and putting the merchandise away.

Cons

The other departments weren't willing to help out when the new merchandise came out on the floor when it was a truck day the employees would say that is not my job when in all reality it was part of their job description because when I was a sales associate we were required to help put the truck away when the department wasn't busy. The hours are great during the holiday season but after that your hours go way down. Instead of calling employees in when you are short staffed actually schedule people in advance so that you are not frantically calling staff to come in and when they do come in they do not even get a thank you for coming in on such a short notice .

Advice to Management

Abide the rules that you enforce to the employees instead of walking around the store on your cell phone texting or checking your FB But if an employee does is they get written up or when the store is dead and an employee needs to call for a ride and no one is around give them a second chance instead of automatically firing them and then offer to bring them home after you just fired them. instead of weighing out the cash actually invest in a money counting machine and Back your employees if their is an issue instead of always siding with the customer or another manager. But there were some great managers that I encountered in my three years of employment.

8. Great entry level experience and good work environment.

Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY
    Former Contractor - Sales Associate in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Best Buy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees made work environment enjoyable. Was not overly stressful

Cons

Not much room for growth Low pay

Advice to Management

Be more attentive to employee's schedules.

Easy place to work if you can handle customers well.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very flexible with scheduling, fun atmosphere, and really friendly people to work with. We did a lot of out of work group activities. And they always hire full timers and supervisors or mangers from with in the company,almost never from outside hires. They have a good tuition assistance program if you are full time.

Cons

Obviously working with the public is tough, you have to have a thick skin. Customers will be rude and nasty to you and you just have to smile and take it. Management is good about siding with the employee if the customer is being outrageous, but most of the time the customers that are jerks to you are going to get exactly what they want when they complain to a manger. So you have to be able to deal with that. Also the holidays will be a terrible time of year for you if you work here, You will dread Thanksgiving and Christmas.

10. Fun job with flexibility. Perfect for student attending college. Has up and down days but what job doesn't.

Current Employee - Sales Support in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts, working with all different types of technology, payed to keep up on product learning.

Cons

Micro managing, must be available on weekends,

11. Fun, but troubling.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tight-knit family, employee discounts and bonuses, flexible scheduling. The employees seem to mesh very well and the culture has always been a big reason why people stay there as long as they do. Many employees stay part-time even if they have other jobs simply because of the discount.

Cons

Erratic expectations, unclear goals, blatant favoritism and double standards. I have been praised and chewed out on the same sale by two different managers, and the whole management staff is clearly not on the same page. There is no consistency or coherency in their plan of action.

Advice to Management

I believe they should be more consistent with their expectations and practice what they preach. Our manager does not follow their own edicts, thus their employees have a hard time following them as well.

Showing 21 of 8,633 reviews