Best Buy Canada

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ron Wilson

Pros:
  • "employee discount on a wide range of stuff"
    in 18 reviews
  • "There was a great work environment with fun team dynamics"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Part time staff should be guarantee a set amount of hours"
    in 7 reviews
  • "service plan is almost always imposed on customers for purely "numbers" driven motive"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best Buy is in "Big Bye" trouble

Best Buy Geek Squad, Agent Senior (CIA Senior ) (Former Employee)
    Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsCompany has excellent medical/dental plans and benefits.

ConsThere are no more seniors, supervisors, merchandising and inventory managers, "leaders", positions in most of their stores. This will greatly effect all customers in store. Current and future employee's will lack the necessary training and guidance from senior employees (as there is not many of them left anymore) due to the ongoing restructuring of the company. Best Buy has decided to get rid of people that have serviced the company for many years, mostly do their salaries. In my opinion this company along with the Future Shop brand is in more serious trouble then they tell public and investors

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for Best Buy to return to the proper company values they had back around 2003-2010. After 2010 you've started cutting all the important positions and letting go of the people that made your company.

Was Fun until the restructuring hit

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat Work- Life Balance
    Great Benefit
    Employee Discount

ConsHorrible Management
    Lack of Focus on people
    Pay was mediocre

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your people, the money will come after!

Was great a few years ago but has slid downhill...

Richmond, BC (Canada)

ProsCo-workers can be great though hardworking ones are few they typically are friendly.

ConsManagement is the biggest issue, not just store level we're talking corporate whom has no clue about reality.

Advice to Senior ManagementLaying off too many senior people and trying to have as few full timers and keyholders as possible is insane... you get rid of the hardest working people that care about the job keeping mostly part timers whom don't care. You're leaving customers with less to help them whom care about them and less people to resolve issues as needed. One department for sales is insane as people are never going to have the needed knowledge. If a manager has a bunch of complaints about them there's probably an issue... those hardworking people that care whom you haven't laid off are being driven away by being left to deal with bad managers and issues you're creating - those that have yet to leave are either talking about trying to find somewhere or hoping to be laid off.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding experience in terms of personal development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Brampton, ON (Canada)

ProsGood learning experience, people aspect was good

ConsSilos, Lack of Communication from top down

Advice to Senior ManagementClear communication of strategy and its execution to the middle management and front lines

Mixed Bag

Mobile Electronics Installation Technician (Current Employee)

ProsDecent financial compensation for the more technical positions that were available during this period of time. Actually seemed like you would be able to build a career in retail :s

ConsAll went to hell once some corporate restructuring happened with the management of their mobile electronics & geek squad departments. Jobs cut, opportunities dissapeard.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't mess with a good thing.

Ok company to work at.

Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay. At the time I was making $3 more than minimum wage which was great because I was a student. There are opportunities at the company, however, they are mainly at store locations and not at head office (which is located in Burnaby, BC).

ConsPoorly managed company, management does not stand behind employees when following policy. There is a lot of turnover because of this. In the 3 years I worked there we had 4 different store managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand by your employees when they are just following policy.

Good culture, great training, very supportive from the management.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Markham, ON (Canada)

ProsVery good and intensive training. Paid training. Great entry level job.

ConsCant see any cons for now.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Great Experience

Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, learn a lot about customer service and sales. Decent hourly pay (see comments about commission).

ConsLots of pressure for sales without commission. District managers are disconnected, no longer aware of how stores function internally. IT systems are outdated, slow and cause many problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce pressure for low level, underpaid (non-commission) employees, or add incentives for sales. Update IT systems, invest in better computers and software. EPOS is slow and inefficient. Offer better training to new employees.

work environment

(Current Employee)

Proscollegiate, workplace diversity, energy, open office layout, good benefits, gym, diverse cafeteria with healthy alternatives

Conssilos and cliques, little-to-no training, short-term focus, inconsistencies

just ok

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosfriendly staff, decent discount, flexible schedule

Constry to hire partite for no benefits favouritism

Worked for Best Buy Canada? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy Canada reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy Canada CEO Ron Wilson. All 171 reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy Canada employees.