Best Buy Canada

Best Buy Canada Reviews

Updated December 14, 2014
Updated December 14, 2014

Ron Wilson

Pros
  • employee discount on a wide range of stuff (in 20 reviews)

• There was a great work environment with fun team dynamics (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time staff should be guarantee a set amount of hours (in 10 reviews)

• Also, they really push you to sell service plans for their products (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company gone bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time

Pros

good benefits, good opportunity to network, good office amenities

Cons

very poor leadership, no direction or company vision, claim they are people first but actions say opposite

look beyond your egos and make decisions that benefit the business not your personal agenda

Antiquated business model with little support provided

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Specialist in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Specialist in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discounts are fantastic, flexible schedule.

Cons

Antiquated business model with total lack of leadership and training.

They try to push a culture which just isn't supported by their managers.

Start by making trainings regular and interactive.

Look into the online purchasing model and start offering employees better incentives to stay with the company than just the discounts.

Great Company to Work for, solid staff, leadership is excellent. Really teach life long skills.

Former Employee - Mobile Manager
    Former Employee - Mobile Manager

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Leadership
    - Coaching
    - Training
    - Great People
    - Benefits
    - Employee Assistance program

All in all the company has a great outlook and really look out for their greatest asset which are their staff, as long as you work hard and come to work with a positive outlook and follow the process in place to succeed you will LOVE this organization.

Cons

- Manager Plateau
    - Corporate Head Office is in BC

The only down side of everything is that if anyone is ever qualified to move into a corporate role they would have to uproot their entire life and consider moving to BC. But, if that is the path one would choose then the possibilities are endless and the benefits become greater.

No Advice, they are bang on with everything. Great Leadership

not bad for a part time gig

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility
    fun staff
    easy to work around other activities

Cons

management problems
    high turnover
    lots of uneducated staff

needs to improve

Change your business model!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here is lots of fun, mostly owing to the great staff and interesting products. Customers are of course hit-and-miss. They're sometimes demanding, difficult, and abrasive, but most of the time they're fine. Throughout my time here, managers have accommodated my schedule. Managers emphasize having fun and tend to be helpful. I can safely say that I've learned a lot about technology and sales. The discounts can be very good. You just have to be smart. Of course you get accessories and headphones for fairly cheap. For bigger core items like computers and TVs, if you wait until they are open box and clearance, chances are you will get a ridiculous deal if you talk to your sales manager.

Cons

First, and most obvious, the uniforms are horrible. Luckily we can wear our own black pants but the shirt is not comfortable. It's nylon and feels like an athletic suit from the '90s. I'd much prefer a 100% cotton polo without the weird lines that run down the sides (I'm still not sure why those are there). The worst part is that we have to pay twenty dollars for each one, though you're supposed to get two when you first start. They're not always available, though, so you could be stuck with a super-oversized shirt for many months.

It's no mystery that the company has shifted its strategy in favour of services and accessories. Prices on core products are usually barely above cost so that they can compete with online retailers. A mark-up on cables is not a dumb strategy since waiting to have one shipped to you is often nonsensical. Pushing service plans, though, is a strategy that few customers are comfortable with. Many of the ones that have the decency not to turn your pitch into a shouting match will at least not even bother to listen to you.

Lots of these customers are jaded by such sales and, from a consumer point of view, this is understandable. I just worry that when certain types of customers are no longer around, the company will lose market share or maybe even cease to exist. I'm not saying that these products shouldn't be available or even that salespeople shouldn't tell customers about them, but technology-savvy in touch customers have heard it all before and will buy into it if they see a need for it. Pressuring them can drive them away until they make their next big electronics purchase through Amazon.

Best Buy likes to pass around certain gospel truths, such as the benefits of their salespeople not being commissioned. In reality, managers drive us to sell because they make bonuses. The only reason that we're not is so the company pockets some more money and so we can tell customers this to ease some pressure. Most employees will pressure customers just as hard to buy services, though, because all of his or her higher-ups depend on it. When it comes to performance reviews, sales aren't officially taken into account, but they still matter.

For the amount we put in, we get very little out of it. Pay is close to minimum. I'd suggest that we look to a forward-thinking retail company like Costco, which employees and customers alike love, rather than the Wal-Mart model of exploiting their own workers and their vendors, just so customers can save a little bit of money. No one loves Wal-Mart anymore, they just shop there when they have to. I would argue it's the same with Best Buy. Change with the times and pay us more. They occasionally have prizes and giveaways for us, but the vast majority of this is stuff that can't be sold or it comes out of a fund that we pay into.

Managers, while great for the most part, are often out of touch with the sales floor. After my first six months, I found I'm teaching them much more than vice versa. I get that management has a completely different set of responsibilities, but it seems like they depend on me to have specific knowledge of regular store procedures. For example, I ask them to assist me with something in our system and they tell me it can't be done, when I know for a fact that it can. I would do it myself if I had permission.

That brings me to my final point. I've learned quite a bit about the company and daily operations at a store level, both within my role in sales and outside and above it. Yet management is often condescending and talks to me as if I'm a new hire. My strong work ethic is almost never noticed except when my sales are also excellent. Opportunities to move up in the company are hardly talked about and when they are, it's just the position directly up from it, such as from part-time to full-time or full-time to supervisor. Sometimes it's a change in department.

Management never mentions corporate opportunities for retail employees. In fact, several higher ups talk about my position as if it's obviously dead end and when someone leaves the company then they speak of it as if they're leaving to actually begin a career. With the nature of retail, there will almost always be high turnover, but paying employees more and giving them actual opportunities to do better in life will go a long way for the company. Managers may know that an employee is well-educated and is looking for better-paying work elsewhere, but instead of presenting internal opportunities, they keep their mouths shut, as if they don't care either way.

I don't know if I can say that Best Buy fails as an employer. They're delivering exactly what they want to deliver, which is a fun, transient, and inconsistent work opportunity for young people that need some extra cash. If you continue to work there after you're done school, though, they'll be the first to look at you funny.

I believe it's all above. One other thing: RewardZone needs to offer more in certificates or there should at least be more giveaways. When I mention how much they can get back, many customers consider it paltry and don't bother with it. If we expect customers to continue to choose us, then we have to stand out from the crowd. RewardZone, I would like to think, is a much smaller factor than customer service, but realistically I don't think so.

Great Environment, great people

Current Employee - Mobile Manager
    Current Employee - Mobile Manager

I have been working at Best Buy Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Even if you come from a different background, you are always welcome to share your ideas. So much opportunities to learn and develop yourself.

Cons

The Salary benefits should increase as because mobile department don't get any commission like other dealer companies or carriers..

Need to focus on e-learning before launching any new services. It will definitely help the associate to present it to the customer

Learned tremendously from this environment

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The competitive environment, the amazing people, a ton of skills that you eventually develop and be thankful for. Such a fast past environment that you dont realize how much you gain until later on in your career. The network value is tremendous.

Cons

Worklife balance, you always feel under compensated, constant changes in the org

Too much pressure to sell services...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount, good co-workers, paid 15 minute break (although you usually don't get it), laid-back culture

Cons

Bad pay, pressured to sell B.S services.

If you're going to force employees to sell useless services and evaluate them on it, at least give them some as commission! The only people who get bonuses for the services sold are managers, and they don't do any of the selling!

Little to no pressure from management, with a fantastic environment

I have been working at Best Buy Canada

Pros

Great salary, with little pressure. No issue time off and benefits

Cons

Lack of ability to move up in the corporate ladder. Would have loved to stay with the company but had to move elsewhere

Make it easier to move up the ladder

Unbelievable Workload, Unforgiving bosses, and little pay.

Former Employee - Electronics Repair Technician in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Electronics Repair Technician in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at the repair depot. You get to work dissembling and fixing everything from PC's, tablets, iPods, iPads, iPhones, Blackberry, notebooks, Macbooks, iMac's, so it is a fun and a divergent experience.

Cons

Unbelievable quota. 15 PC's / shift to be detailed, repaired, catalogued, and cleaned. 15 cell phones to be dissembled, repaired, tested for connectivity/camera/bluetooth/battery/etc, AND keyed into the database AND logged into your daily productivity worksheet!

IF you make a clerical error, or a unit fails, BEWARE! At least 2 bosses will come down on you. Even if your sweaty fingers leave a mark on the device, YOU have to answer before a boss!

The Brampton Repair Depot is run like a military camp, an army base. Overall workers morale is LOW, job security is NONE (unless you KNOW to affiliate with the dominant, monopolizing group), employee retention rate is LOW (2-3 months fresh meat for processing), HIGH stress, LOW pay in proportion to what is being demanded.

Management is NOT highly educated to begin with. Without naming names, there are many in the upper management, who are in a position of SECURED authority but lack TECHNICAL expertise and proper EDUCATIONAL backdrop to initiate CHANGE, QUALITY IMPROVEMENT, reduction of testing costs, or revamping existing processes.

Management does not offer solutions to problems, instead it comes bearing down with an iron hammer to squash the problem by NOT sponsoring technical solutions that even the "technical supervisors" do NOT understand, but rather punish the problem-solvers!

Management only enforces QUOTAS and DISCIPLINARY actions.