Best Buy Canada Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Quick review

Current Employee - British Columbia in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - British Columbia in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dynamic, Fast-paced, Growth-mode, new CIO has been a great choice and he is driving a lot of positive change.

Cons

Large-organization, heavily process driven, sometimes work is slowed down by the inter-country politics. Organization does not invest in modern furniture and growing too quickly there is not enough space to ensure your immediate team sits in the same area or same building as yourself.

Store GM

Current Employee - Store GM in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store GM in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada

Pros

Good Money, great Staff, Lots of training material, a truly rewarding job when we have the store to ourselves to work with the customers

Cons

Regional Team runs your life, they make all the calls, as a well paid GM, I am just a puppet for them to pul my strings.

Advice to Management

Hey Ron, cut back on the fluff - we don't need an army on the regional team. Stores are tired of paying their way when we don't require so much top heavy management.

3. Best Buy is great!

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A great way to enhance/ gain valuable customer service skills

- A great exposure to the sales industry. As well as a great way to gain some crucial sales skills to add on to your resume

- Great means of increasing your knowledge on electronics and every day technology

- My experience at Best Buy taught me a lot about time management as well. As I was required to meet my daily sale goals within a fixed schedule

Cons

- Often limited to your own department.

- Angry and upset customers may choose to vent out to the salesperson at times. However, this could also serve as a great way to strengthen upon your customer service

Advice to Management

- Keep up the good work.

- Lighten up on the GSTP a little

5. A Bad Dream That Doesn't End

Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Assistant in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time

Pros

Great people to work with and the business is always changing.

Cons

- Enormous workload with no leadership representation as an MCSA.
    - Detached managers with unrealistic expectations and no regard for the realities of the store.
    - Terrible sales pressure - as strong as Future Shop (which actually had commission).
    - Customers are rude and disrespectful, and management will never defend you.
    - Reviews for non-sales personnel always involve sales targets
    - No job security: people who have worked for the company for years are abruptly laid off
    - Management are almost always intellectually deficient people with no problem solving skills

Advice to Management

Stop rolling over good employees because they're unhappy and start listening to their advice. These are the people that makes your business tick!
    Create strategies to increase customer respect for employees: no one likes being shouted at and you not standing up against that paints an ugly picture.

6. Merchandise Analyst

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great people and sweet discount off pretty much anything

Cons

The sheer amount of work and short timelines meant long hours and lots of working thru lunch with food at my desk. There is always something that needs to be done and it feels like you never get caught up with work

7. Boring

Current Employee - Customer Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada

Pros

Nothing very boring and bad to work at

Cons

Everything employees do nothing most of the tine

8. Ups and Downs

Former Employee - Management in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Management in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The employee discount was excellent, as were the bonuses and incentives. Lots of options to learn and grow, provided you continued to beat to the company drum.

Tuition reimbursement and leaders who can and often do listen effectively to your problems.

Company very forgiving on time off requests, and really good with work life balance. I'll miss this the most.

Cons

High high turnover!

Part-time associates pretty much have no hope of becoming full time. Some quality people left on PT for many years just because a manager has a negative personal opinion of them. Anonymous survey not truly anonymous, bad comments are rooted out by senior managers and directors, and those who say them are let go for "business reasons". If you're not willing to play the political game, you can kiss your job good bye.

Not a career place, management and lower rung associates alike are churned through regularly to keep things fresh. Consider it a stop along your career path, and enjoy it while it lasts.

Company uses cliché values that don't really mean anything, they're just buzz words.

Advice to Management

Stop spending so much time on "anonymous surveys" and start actually talking to your people. A fortune 500 company should be doing better than a 3.2 on the satisfaction scale.

9. Over all not the best place to work

Current Employee - Operations Senior in Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Senior in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You make a lot of friends working there that you really bond with. The employee discount is also good. But that's about it.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for the employers for poor pay after taxes. Make it very difficult to voice any of your opinions because it either doesn't get dealt with or you are scared that you will make enemies with someone on management.

Advice to Management

Take employees problems more seriously and actually follow through and address them.

10. Merchandise Manager

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced work environment, lots of autonomy, great marketing job as you control all of the "4 P's: Product, Price, Place and Promotion"

Cons

Very high stress. Management is very demanding and wants answers yesterday. Never enough time to do everything expected, which results in very long work days - and most evenings and weekends.

Advice to Management

Different negotiation styles work - not just "hard nosed". Not everyone responds well to constant pressure - you may get more from some people with a more laid back approach and should adjust your management style (to some degree) to the employee that you are managing.

11. good working environment

I have been working at Best Buy Canada

Pros

good hour and work environment

Cons

stressful on the sales when the manager have to keep monitoring you sale every time

RSS Feed </> Embed