Best Buy Canada

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
3.2

Ron Wilson

Pros
  • employee discount on a wide range of stuff (in 19 reviews)

• There was a great work environment with fun team dynamics (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time staff should be guarantee a set amount of hours (in 10 reviews)

• Not on commission but still pressured intensely to upsell the service plans (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Another Corporate Monolith in Form and Function

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Co-workers are empathetic and understanding
    - Application process is straightforward
    - Training is relatively well-structured

Cons

- Corporate structure makes lasting change impossible
    - Pay is not equal to work demanded from employees
    - Management often fails to stand-up for employees

Understand the departments outside your own (I'm looking at the retail managers who supervise the Geek Squad employees especially), if you don't understand what you're asking of your employees, maybe seek out that knowledge so you won't sell them down the river in the future.

Change your business model!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working here is lots of fun, mostly owing to the great staff and interesting products. Customers are of course hit-and-miss. They're sometimes demanding, difficult, and abrasive, but most of the time they're fine. Throughout my time here, managers have accommodated my schedule. Managers emphasize having fun and tend to be helpful. I can safely say that I've learned a lot about technology and sales. The discounts can be very good. You just have to be smart. Of course you get accessories and headphones for fairly cheap. For bigger core items like computers and TVs, if you wait until they are open box and clearance, chances are you will get a ridiculous deal if you talk to your sales manager.

Cons

First, and most obvious, the uniforms are horrible. Luckily we can wear our own black pants but the shirt is not comfortable. It's nylon and feels like an athletic suit from the '90s. I'd much prefer a 100% cotton polo without the weird lines that run down the sides (I'm still not sure why those are there). The worst part is that we have to pay twenty dollars for each one, though you're supposed to get two when you first start. They're not always available, though, so you could be stuck with a super-oversized shirt for many months.

It's no mystery that the company has shifted its strategy in favour of services and accessories. Prices on core products are usually barely above cost so that they can compete with online retailers. A mark-up on cables is not a dumb strategy since waiting to have one shipped to you is often nonsensical. Pushing service plans, though, is a strategy that few customers are comfortable with. Many of the ones that have the decency not to turn your pitch into a shouting match will at least not even bother to listen to you.

Lots of these customers are jaded by such sales and, from a consumer point of view, this is understandable. I just worry that when certain types of customers are no longer around, the company will lose market share or maybe even cease to exist. I'm not saying that these products shouldn't be available or even that salespeople shouldn't tell customers about them, but technology-savvy in touch customers have heard it all before and will buy into it if they see a need for it. Pressuring them can drive them away until they make their next big electronics purchase through Amazon.

Best Buy likes to pass around certain gospel truths, such as the benefits of their salespeople not being commissioned. In reality, managers drive us to sell because they make bonuses. The only reason that we're not is so the company pockets some more money and so we can tell customers this to ease some pressure. Most employees will pressure customers just as hard to buy services, though, because all of his or her higher-ups depend on it. When it comes to performance reviews, sales aren't officially taken into account, but they still matter.

For the amount we put in, we get very little out of it. Pay is close to minimum. I'd suggest that we look to a forward-thinking retail company like Costco, which employees and customers alike love, rather than the Wal-Mart model of exploiting their own workers and their vendors, just so customers can save a little bit of money. No one loves Wal-Mart anymore, they just shop there when they have to. I would argue it's the same with Best Buy. Change with the times and pay us more. They occasionally have prizes and giveaways for us, but the vast majority of this is stuff that can't be sold or it comes out of a fund that we pay into.

Managers, while great for the most part, are often out of touch with the sales floor. After my first six months, I found I'm teaching them much more than vice versa. I get that management has a completely different set of responsibilities, but it seems like they depend on me to have specific knowledge of regular store procedures. For example, I ask them to assist me with something in our system and they tell me it can't be done, when I know for a fact that it can. I would do it myself if I had permission.

That brings me to my final point. I've learned quite a bit about the company and daily operations at a store level, both within my role in sales and outside and above it. Yet management is often condescending and talks to me as if I'm a new hire. My strong work ethic is almost never noticed except when my sales are also excellent. Opportunities to move up in the company are hardly talked about and when they are, it's just the position directly up from it, such as from part-time to full-time or full-time to supervisor. Sometimes it's a change in department.

Management never mentions corporate opportunities for retail employees. In fact, several higher ups talk about my position as if it's obviously dead end and when someone leaves the company then they speak of it as if they're leaving to actually begin a career. With the nature of retail, there will almost always be high turnover, but paying employees more and giving them actual opportunities to do better in life will go a long way for the company. Managers may know that an employee is well-educated and is looking for better-paying work elsewhere, but instead of presenting internal opportunities, they keep their mouths shut, as if they don't care either way.

I don't know if I can say that Best Buy fails as an employer. They're delivering exactly what they want to deliver, which is a fun, transient, and inconsistent work opportunity for young people that need some extra cash. If you continue to work there after you're done school, though, they'll be the first to look at you funny.

I believe it's all above. One other thing: RewardZone needs to offer more in certificates or there should at least be more giveaways. When I mention how much they can get back, many customers consider it paltry and don't bother with it. If we expect customers to continue to choose us, then we have to stand out from the crowd. RewardZone, I would like to think, is a much smaller factor than customer service, but realistically I don't think so.

Learned tremendously from this environment

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The competitive environment, the amazing people, a ton of skills that you eventually develop and be thankful for. Such a fast past environment that you dont realize how much you gain until later on in your career. The network value is tremendous.

Cons

Worklife balance, you always feel under compensated, constant changes in the org

Little to no pressure from management, with a fantastic environment

I have been working at Best Buy Canada

Pros

Great salary, with little pressure. No issue time off and benefits

Cons

Lack of ability to move up in the corporate ladder. Would have loved to stay with the company but had to move elsewhere

Make it easier to move up the ladder

Unbelievable Workload, Unforgiving bosses, and little pay.

Former Employee - Electronics Repair Technician in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Electronics Repair Technician in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at the repair depot. You get to work dissembling and fixing everything from PC's, tablets, iPods, iPads, iPhones, Blackberry, notebooks, Macbooks, iMac's, so it is a fun and a divergent experience.

Cons

Unbelievable quota. 15 PC's / shift to be detailed, repaired, catalogued, and cleaned. 15 cell phones to be dissembled, repaired, tested for connectivity/camera/bluetooth/battery/etc, AND keyed into the database AND logged into your daily productivity worksheet!

IF you make a clerical error, or a unit fails, BEWARE! At least 2 bosses will come down on you. Even if your sweaty fingers leave a mark on the device, YOU have to answer before a boss!

The Brampton Repair Depot is run like a military camp, an army base. Overall workers morale is LOW, job security is NONE (unless you KNOW to affiliate with the dominant, monopolizing group), employee retention rate is LOW (2-3 months fresh meat for processing), HIGH stress, LOW pay in proportion to what is being demanded.

Management is NOT highly educated to begin with. Without naming names, there are many in the upper management, who are in a position of SECURED authority but lack TECHNICAL expertise and proper EDUCATIONAL backdrop to initiate CHANGE, QUALITY IMPROVEMENT, reduction of testing costs, or revamping existing processes.

Management does not offer solutions to problems, instead it comes bearing down with an iron hammer to squash the problem by NOT sponsoring technical solutions that even the "technical supervisors" do NOT understand, but rather punish the problem-solvers!

Management only enforces QUOTAS and DISCIPLINARY actions.

Great for part-time if you love electronics

Former Employee - Home Solutions Specialist in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Home Solutions Specialist in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better than minimum wage pay with benefits you can buy into.
    Lots of online training for product knowledge and information about the company and SOP.
    At least 2 weeks advanced schedule.

Cons

No way to check your work schedule online.
    Everything connected to the internet must be accessed through proxy to HQ in BC so internet can be very slow. Further, the computers the employee's use for checking on inventory, ePOS (point of sales), etc. is heavily outdated and needs major upgrades.
    Product is relocated/reorganized so frequently and has multiple locations it is almost impossible to know exactly where they are.

Not the best place to work for

Former Employee - Contractor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Contractor in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount on some merchandises. That's it. The buck stops there.

Cons

- Poor management. Especially at Headquarters in Burnaby, BC. Some of their so-called Team Leaders and so-called managers in the Technical side are clueless to IT infrastructure, building and maintaining IT system. Everything is bandaged solution that will not resolve the issue.

- No medical benefits.

- Managers should stop treating contractors and temp employees like disposable/expendable items. In the end, we just drop everything and leave and you have no way of picking up the slack because your own team lack the skills and experience to get the job done right in the first place. Simple as that.

- Inadequate tools needed for contractors and temp employees to do their job. Contractors and temp employees are forced to buy USB HDD to store data temporarily to get work done. The company should be providing these tools.

- Low pay with poor treatment = sweatshop

- Impractical demand and decision by management = poor management with poor business decision

- Too much team meetings within a day and week...so much time wasted on political debate here and there. Not very real world scenario = poor management = waste of time and money

- Poor management of resources = not very effective management

- Poor communication between Technical and Operations = poor communication in management

- Use of Lync should be recorded just like emails being recorded for paper trail and evidence = poor governance = legal & liability issues

- From an IT Management point of view, Best Buy's Head Office...it is the worse managed overall.

Company that needs to revisit its purpose for existing

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Meeting new people and seeing new technology. Having the opportunity to purchase technology for cheaper when the company can't sell the product in time. Having very useful people around to help you with anything technology related. Geek Squad ready to help you with everything related to your computer of your TV.

Cons

Poor leadership and inconsistency through all levels of management. One manager may value one thing over another which creates confusion at the store level. Compensation must be revised. It is difficult to stay motivated on very low salary with minimal incentives to sell services. Some services were definite money grabs and lack of support for the customer after purchasing services was very disappointing. Moving up in the company required moulding into a very specific person and seeing the revolving door of managers throughout the years gives little incentive to move up in the company.

Increase training opportunities and train managers to live company values

Pays the bills

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Awesome co-workers
    - Some managers are great
    - Laid back environment when store is slow
    - Excellent pay, above average
    - Good customer service experience
    - Good discounts on certain items

Cons

- Too much politics thrown around the store
    - Managers have over stepped their boundaries on occasion
    - Pressure to sell service rather than provide good customer service
    - Part-time hours are unpredictable and hard to get
    - Favouritism is trend in some stores with employees

I would recommend that upper, middle, and lower management take advice from their employees and help better structure the company. The restructuring of the company has impacted the behaviours of managers to it's employees in a negative way and it needs to change. The key to success with employee and manager relations is to providing what we want and releasing the pressure from sales in a more comfortable way rather than shoving PSP, TPP and geek squad services down customers throats.

"Great People and a fun place to work!"

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to grow your career and gain amazing experience in a variety of areas. A strong management team that really tries to make sure every employee is positioned for success. The people really care about the company and they are very results oriented, it was great working with like minded individuals, it really fostered a strong sense of belonging and teamwork.

Cons

Leadership can become too involved with micro management which can interfere with your ability to execute your job properly.