Best Buy Canada

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ron Wilson

Pros
  • employee discount on a wide range of stuff(in 18 reviews)

• There was a great work environment with fun team dynamics(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Part time staff should be guarantee a set amount of hours(in 8 reviews)

• service plan is almost always imposed on customers for purely "numbers" driven motive(in 7 reviews)

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

"Great People and a fun place to work!"

Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat opportunity to grow your career and gain amazing experience in a variety of areas. A strong management team that really tries to make sure every employee is positioned for success. The people really care about the company and they are very results oriented, it was great working with like minded individuals, it really fostered a strong sense of belonging and teamwork.

ConsLeadership can become too involved with micro management which can interfere with your ability to execute your job properly.

An ever changing environment

Merchandise Manager (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsGood benefits and company works hard to communicate its objective and goals to its employees.

ConsIts a high stress environment and you either keep up or move on.

I had worked for the company for over 15 years

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsThe company values and guiding principle created a solid foundations for all levels, really focusing on Customer experiences and innovative ideas, selling some great and cool products with latest technology. On line business has been growing fast

Consas on line biz grows, it started hurting the big box traffice

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the core and transformations

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management changes quickly, but working with teammates is a great experience.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsPretty relaxed when it is not busy. Management offers incredible hours for strong performers and they often have contests to who can sell the most services.

ConsIf you think it's "No Commission, No Pressure", you're wrong. They monitor your numbers and sales managers will pressure you to do well. In the end, it's sales and you must be comfortable with selling and doing well.

Good place to get experience but definately not a career

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsSomewhat flexible hours but absolutely no work/life balance. To continue working here you have to be married to your job. You can move up as long as you know how to network yourself (aka.. cozy up to the right people).

ConsAbsolutely no direction or company vision. The company has it's hands tied and will not grow. The big box days are a thing of the past... get in, get the experience and get out.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate and listen to your people. Dictatorship style management and management by fear is a thing of the past.

Mixed feelings

Assistant Merchandise Manager (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Pros-Decent work environment
    -Friendly co-workers
    -Staff purchase

Cons-Senior leadership don't know how to run a brick and mortar business any more
    -Bonus structure is terrible
    -Pay is low
    -Website development is too slow and company is behind in the ecom market

Advice to Senior Management-Rebuild the websites from scratch, with more focus on speed and reliability
    -Consider not cutting more and more benefits as it cuts moral and productivity

Learning what makes a retail ops run!

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsThis is the place to work if you're looking to gain some valuable back office experience. People are generally friendly and willing to help. There are areas to grow from Merchandising, Finance, HR, IT, etc. On-line merchandising or eCommerce business has grown exponentially.

ConsRetail has been hard hit of late and just coming around to profitability. As a result, there has been headcount reductions and other cutbacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your employees to take courses and get more training.

Great for developing skills, unfair compensation

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Burnaby, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat skills development
    Great benefits
    Good growth opportunities
    Nice cafeteria at head office
    Good staff discount
    Nice people to interact with

ConsWay-below market salaries
    Politics
    Long hours for some positions
    Culture of cost-cutting leads to loss of good employees
    Disorganization - feels like you are always chasing the ball

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more honest, don't talk in riddles, and pay up.

Pays well , weird company

Key Holder (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsPays well to regular associate, great discounts at best buy and future shop

ConsFires their employees like a game, no job security

Pretty good job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsEasy and relaxing job that mostly contains interactions with customers. Not much heavy lifting or any kinds or dirty work that needs to be done.

ConsThey don't give a lot of hours for part time workers when there isn't a lot of customers in the store. Part time staff should be guarantee a set amount of hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementPretty good

Worked for Best Buy Canada? Contribute to the Community!