Best Buy Reviews

Reset
3.2
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • Great Benefit with the employee discount in the stores (in 780 reviews)

• Great discount plan (yes not as good as it used to be (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work / life balance as a manager (in 217 reviews)

• Not a lot of full time openings (in 199 reviews)

1. Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Best Buy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with great benefits. The environment was great and the company promoted a fun healthy work environment

Cons

Long hours during the holiday season

Advice to Management

N/A

2. Watch your back

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Department Coworkers. Folks in Mobile are always good. New PTO/Sick Bank/Vacation time sick bank. Decent 401k and Stock Option

Cons

Overpriced Insurance Plan. Cheaper to get Prescription without using the Insurance. Higher premiums for hourly workers versus salary. Come on at $10/hour no one can afford this. Pressure to sell and open branded payment accounts (store credit card) like never before.

Advice to Management

Stop recycling old Managers. Let them go for a reason. Create a real process to allow growth and a teaching/coaching environment that encourages development in the company and not just for sales. Nepotism gets in the way of real folks getting promoted even though there's some structure in place - I had a GM tell me she would let me know when I'm ready for leadership roles. Until then, don't do anything until she says "I'm finished baking. It's much easier to go out with her support and she'll happily call to let whoever know that I'm such a great worker." Mind you this was immediately after letting me know she can send me back to my old store.

3. BBY Veteran

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, aggressive pay rate. Company focus and direct very concise and clear

Cons

Like any sales oriented business pressures of sales. Slow promotion and growth

Advice to Management

None

Great Company

Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Great Coworkers, Flexible with schedule

Cons

mandatory holidays, long hours on holidays

6. Good, but losing sight of their goal

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Buy had the feel of a big company but did a great job at making the culture at each store feel like a family. There didn't seem to be much growth opportunity unless you were willing to really push the sales numbers and get involved in management, instead of being selected and groomed by management. This isn't a bad thing, I just always felt like some less-fitting individuals were promoted merely because they were interested in moving up. Management surfaces GMs, which is great. They area also pushing the negative stuff down through other managers, so you always feel like you have a "good guy/girl" to go to who is above the bosses you may have had conflicts with.

Cons

When I first started at Best Buy it really did feel like it was customer-centric--not just advertised as such. Over the years it became increasingly clear that the company was struggling to stay on top and all that mattered was the bottom line. Some managers at our store would print out sales receipts from that day and ask why customers didn't buy service plans/extended warranties. When they would deny to accept your claim that you offered said options but the customer declined, they seemed unhappy with the response, even though many of us had been there for years.

Advice to Management

Even if it's a facade, get back to making the associates feel like the goal really is to be customer centric. Customers came back asking for associated on an individual basis in the beginning, but over the years it was clear that customers came to DREAD coming into the stores since they felt the pressure to buy things they too knew they didn't want.

7. Fast paced and always changing

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

A lot of the people here are young, tech savvy students, who like to sell. Managers are flexible with scheduling. Fun to go to work.

Cons

A lot of company restructures. Always having to sell more services than anything else. No room for moving up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Have one on ones with each employee to see if they are truly happy with their current position. A lot of the times, employees want to work their way up the ladder and there isnt much room for upward movement.

8. A Stepping Stone to a great career

Current Employee - Computers, Tablets, DI, and Connections Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gain solid face to face sales experience, encounter metrics and mild competition with numbers, gain vast product knowledge for lots of new technology, great discounts, meet and make connections with many large corporations and reps who are partnered with the company

Cons

Low pay, irregular hours, less than professional sales people and team mates, too much expected product knowledge and job responsibilities

Advice to Management

This company has the potential to truly be something great and I've always had terrible mixed emotions working for them. If they paid better they could really attract legitimate sales people and up their customer satisfaction rates and gross revenues and margins. Its hard to count on reliable and professional team mates when they're hiring at such a low rate and people with little to no sales experience. They need to also schedule more people. Some of the most ball busting and stressful times comes when they're are 3 or more customers or groups of customers in your department and not enough coverage. Everything goes down hill pretty quick. There are so many wealthy technology companies that have their hand in the pot at Best Buy that they expect you to have A grade product knowledge for all of them and to try to sell and recommend all of them when all of their reps are making twice as much as the average sales associate and only have a small number of products to worry about. With as much sales experience as I have, and I will admit that working at Best Buy has only made me better, I'm going to treat this job as a good stepping stone towards another legitament sales position in another field or with another company that pays better and has better management and I recommend you do as well. It is just simply too hard to work into upper management at this company and with the state of the stocks and day to day sales I'm honestly less confident than I have ever been about having a future with this company. Best Buy needs to cowboy up and go big or go home. Pay your people real good money including legit individual commissions and expect them to be real product knowledge experts across the board with stellar customer service and sales performance, or just go under and let Amazon rule the world. End of rant!

9. This was the second worse job experience I have had in 40 years.

Former Employee - Geek Squad CIA Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Geek Squad CIA Agent in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discount that you get on certain items.

Cons

Some managers are dishonest and try to cheat the customers. Sales are pushed so hard, customers actually become uncomfortable and leave.

Advice to Management

Do not use forced sales tactics. Do not tell your sales force to lie or mislead the customer. Do not have the security Gestapo (the "yellow" shirts) constantly standing at the entrance, rummaging through paying customer's bags. Allow Geek Squad to do their job (professionally repair computers) and stop sending them to the cash registers, so that they can strong arm customers into buying the Geek Squad Protection plans.

10. Constrained.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are that it can be fun. Depending on your store manager, they throw parties and events and even sometimes provide your lunch.

Cons

Your growth is limited. Yea, they may shuffle you around departments, but you have to be there 10 years to actually get anything done you may want to improve about the store and ideally company policy.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. If you sense passion, try and seize the moment, because your employee loyalty ratio is crap.

11. Better Than Your Average Retail

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a Geek Squad agent at a local store. Our store was definitely not your typical Best Buy. We really had a family atmosphere and management that really did their best to work with us to make it a great place. The work environment made up for a lot of the other problems that the company tried to pile on us, but that was our managers keeping us insulated from the worst of it. Let me repeat. OTHER BEST BUY STORES ARE NOT LIKE THIS TO WORK FOR. When the company closed our location I took a severance package rather than transfer to another store.

Cons

Forget a work life balance. They preach it but in reality you will be working long hours every holiday, on weekends and nights. Your schedule will never be the same week to week, it's actually against their corporate policy to have standard schedules. If you are in college you had better schedule all your classes for one day of the week, and either one evening or one morning because otherwise they will schedule you during your classes then fire you for not being able to adhere to a schedule. I watched that happen to 5 different people in other stores and was told by at least 2 managers that they did that purposely because college kids make writing the schedule a pain. The insurance has been getting steadily worse over time, paid time off has been cut consistently over the past several years to the point that people there over 7 years that were getting 3 weeks vacation plus sick time and floating holidays are now getting three weeks total time off and that has to be used for vacation, sick and holiday. Also, they have stopped paying overtime for working on a holiday at least for some positions. I honestly think the company is circling the bowl, and it won't be many more years till FLUSH!

Advice to Management

Give your employees their benefits back. Grownups can't make a living working for you unless they're in management and even assistant managers make on average over $10,000 less per year than comparable positions with other chain stores! So, get your act together and start working with your college kids that need a part time gig to get them through school. Get your prices in line so everyone doesn't use Best Buy as a showroom for Amazon and MonoPrice so you can actually keep your customers in the building.

Showing 31 of 8,193 reviews