Best Buy

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

173 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One Of The Better Sales Jobs I've Had...

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsCompared to other sales based jobs especially commission based positions the atmosphere at least at my store was much more relaxed. From the top down there isn't a harsh expectation to tow profit margins you're just there to sell what makes sense. The hours are also not nearly as long so the work-life balance is great.

ConsCareer opportunities are more lateral than upward. Though the titles change the responsibilities once you reach supervisor are not much different than manager.

Could be worse retail jobs -- but not many

PCHO Specialist (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe discount was really nice, and most of the people working there were fun (for a fellow early-twenty-something.) A lot of learning opportunities, if you're interested in technology.

ConsBreak policy was terrible, compensation was terrible, and there was always high pressure to sell protection plans, credit cards, etc. to the point of harassing customers. Zero benefits for part-timers, even those who work 30+ hours/week. Constantly called on days off to fill in for other employees and received guilt trips from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to make your managers run the sales floor like you're paying employees commission when you're not.

Supervisor

Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Algonquin, IL

ProsHuge discount perks, 5% over cost is amazing. Generally employees and managers are great to work with.

ConsPay is a bit low for expectations. Company in general is focusing on trying to beat pricing game and cutting costs at the expense of the employee and customer experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementBest Buy has a huge brand that should be leveraged with knowledgeable employees and the value that can add to a person to person experience instead of trying to directly compete with online retailers like Amazon that don't have the overhead costs like a brick and mortar.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a stress free environment

Representative I (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsClean environment not messy at all , discounts and you meet good friends

ConsPressure on employees to sign up customers for magazine subscriptions

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Working at best buy

Best Buy for Business Specialist (Current Employee)
    Gurnee, IL

ProsEasy paycheck. Decent benefits. Cool co-workers

ConsToo political. Hard to move up after a certain point

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better raises and promotion structure.

Mobile Sales Lead

Best Buy Mobile Sales Lead (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat entry level that teaches you a variety of business acumen.

ConsCustomer services takes patience. Some managers need more management training.

Has it's ups and downs

Home Theater Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Valparaiso, IN

ProsVery cool college job. I've learned a lot and met some really great people along the way. You learn the basics of how to sell, how to deal with the general public, and the ever changing field of technology. It's exciting to be thought of as an expert, and I enjoy being the go to person. In my particular store, you will ALWAYS get recognition, training, and support. Also, my favorite part, they have tuition assistance, which is extremely easy to qualify for. As soon as I was promoted to full-time, I was instantly eligible. Also, there's no policy stating you have to stay with the company. This job is worth it just for that.

ConsI don't know how I feel about the company in general. The new CEO is really making some serious changes, that probably needed to be made. However, it's still hard to accept it. The company as a whole just went through a major restructure, and I lost 6 of my supervisors/managers. Now, the leadership left in the store are overwhelmed because their workload just grew tremendously. I think the change was on too large of a scale, and they're taking away what made Best Buy so wonderful to begin with.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe store can't run with only three managers. Plus, that leaves someone like me, that was once considering a career in this company, no where to go but to look for a job in a more stable, trustworthy company.

Geeksquard

Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat work environment all around with a ton of really smart people

ConsNot really anything worth mentioning at this time

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work

Good place to work but not for everyone

Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
    Schaumburg, IL

Pros- Deal with the latest and greatest electronics and technology.
    - Flexible schedule
    - Employee discount on products.
    - You meet new people everyday.

Cons- Some Managers aren't always the most effective in leading or the brighest crayon in the box.
    - Holidays can be a drag but fun.
    - Some customers are too rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementEffectively train all your employees not just line level. I do not care if they have been a manager for years or at multiple stores, your never to old to learn something new and to put someones ego in check.

Easy work, poor training, and little pay

Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsEasy work, great co-workers, pleasant environment

ConsCompensation is minimal, poor training, lack of organization

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hold employees accountable, ask more of it's workers and pay better

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All 173 reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.