Best Buy Reviews in Chicago, IL

5,971 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,948 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 744 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 316 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 201 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

190 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Deputy CIA Supervisor

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great enviroment for development, career growth and new opportunities! I have been with the company for over 8 years and am still going.

Cons

Decline in leadership structure, workloads have increased due to newer operating model. Would like to have more leadership present.

NA

Home office specialist

Former Employee - PC Home Office Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - PC Home Office Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly work environment. Lots of sales orientated departmental goals to meet.

Cons

Tough to get salary raises, since it's not commission based

Awesome, If you want to become good at sales then you have an oppurtunity to improve

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

employee discount, you barely have to put things away and down stock like other retail jobs, there are some pretty amazing managers,

Cons

Boring after a while, not much unless you are looking to move up in the company, the systems slack sometimes and get pretty annoying after a while, they tend to over staff for the holidays and leave a lot of people without hours after January

Offer more opportunities for improving sales associates, and spent more time trying to hire the right people instead of hiring people right away

Great place to work

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent Discount
    You really gain a true understanding for retail
    Great work environment
    Tuition Assistance

Cons

Not compensated fairly
    retail hours
    back Friday

Pay your employees

A good learning experience.

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best buy offers a good employee discount and the hours are usually pretty flexible, excluding holidays.

Cons

The hours can be very hectic around holidays and there is a lot of pressure to make credit goals.

none

Decent structure, good atmosphere, although the pay is falling behind the times.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The several stores that I have worked for all have been fun and engaging places to work.

Cons

Best Buy starts employees out at a base pay rate that is well below other retail locations.

College Town Employee, Not A Satisfying Experience

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in DeKalb, IL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Obviously the employee discount was a pro. Mainly the only reason I took the job to begin with
    Exposure to new technology

Cons

Poor management in my store, it was all about dollar signs, while understandable, though, in a small town, laughable. Getting mad at employees for not obtaining "new credit card applications" on a daily basis seems a bit...ludicrous. Not everyone wants a card, and second, the regular customers already have one. I'm a very realistic person when it comes to credit, and opening random store cards is not for everyone and not always advised, so after I would give a simple offer, and the customer would decline, I'm not going to continue selling it, and I was "reprimanded" multiple times for not cramming the cards down their throats.

Pay was less than acceptable. I had worked as a sales associate for 4 years and new hire employees with no experience came in making more than I was after that amount of time. Absolutely unacceptable, and was my reason for leaving. Every attempt made to be compensated for the lack of pay went unanswered on ears that couldn't care less.

Be realistic. Yes the retail environment is ever changing and competitive, but be a normal person to your employees and customers. Be open to a different style of sales from employees, selling "by a book" is assuming you're selling to robots, and it doesn't work.

Great company for a long time, then it went downhill fast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I learned so much at Best Buy! It was truly one of the most influential work experiences I've ever had. For a long time they were so very people-focused; development and training were top priorities. Not just at the store level, but fully supported and assisted by the district and regional management. Managers truly focused on promoting from within, cross-training; if you worked hard you were rewarded. This was also an energetic, upbeat, fun workforce. The people I worked with were awesome!

Cons

Uncertain job security, consistent and too frequent realignment of district and leadership, massive restructuring that caused a lot of job and talent loss, hours cut to the bone resulting in poor department coverage and frantic, stressed sales force.

The CEO leadership 2009-2012 was haphazard at best, and often was negligent of feedback that was coming directly from the front line employees (who dealt with the customers more often than the upper management) who could see what was happening before the frantic, reactionary moves that were made by the CEO seemingly without long-term consideration the best competitive asset they had, their store associates. Best Buy invested time and energy into developing tenured associates and leaders and then fired them during restructures, sending all that talent to go work for their competitors.

Sales

Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some two managers were outstanding, and some of the co-works are pretty cool too.

Cons

Good luck trying to have lunch or a beak. Its all about who likes you not how hard you work.

crappy store crappy people

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Burbank, IL
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Burbank, IL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

none, the store is terrible

Cons

terrible management and terrible people

/a