Best Buy

6,331 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,147 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

200 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Valparaiso, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Valparaiso, IN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

People were enjoyable and interesting to work with

Cons

Management was unengaged from time to time

Figure out food ways to motivate people

Best company ever

Former Employee - Cashier in Norridge, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Norridge, IL

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Great pay
    Awesome management
    Excellent hours
    Good benefits
    Sometimes lost pervention can be a little over excessive about tracking down theft

Cons

Some bad co workers
    Lost prevention
    Corporate needs a total overhaul. They aren't completely awareof whats going on in the stores

Give more promotions

Not worth it...

Current Employee - Supervisor in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The pay is great .. And when you get bonuses even better.

Cons

Lack of ethics of higher ups in company .. Work life balance is terrible. Be prepared to work 60 plus hours a week.

And if you ever speak up they are quick to remind you how easily replaced you are

Your brick and mortar concept is slot dying .. "Amazon's show room " isn't something to be proud off.

Pick a different position.

Former Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Tinley Park, IL
    Former Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Tinley Park, IL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee Discount
    Other associates that are your age

Cons

Wasn't even the position I applied for. Never got an orientation. Signed me up for their ADP pay card without my consent. 3 out of the 5 managers are extremely rude for no reason. Everything about this store is completely unorganized, which leads to customer and employee frustration. No time to learn to the companies policies at all. As a multi-channel sales associate, they expect you to know everything with bare minimum pay. Will inevitably force you to work over your max hours during holiday season.

Learn how to communicate with the entire store and stop showing favorites.

Love my co-workers and staff very friendly consider them family

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Orland Park, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

love the environment and the benefits

Cons

work life balance. the hours get very long when you close because we have to prepare for the next day.

Friendly, professional, and down to earth work staff while having the daily activity of serving people in the community.

Former Employee - Asset Protection Lead in Kildeer, IL
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Lead in Kildeer, IL

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good management, decent pay, room for growth, overtime, time and a half, good coworkers, excellent training program to get you up to speed on the job you while be doing

Cons

Working holidays, working weekends, training is on the computer and can take a good chunk of time, some long hour shifts and some over night shifts depending on what department you work in

Horrible attendance policy

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount was probably the only thing I like about working here. It isnt even that great, but it made the place worth staying at for awhile.

Cons

The "goals" they gave you every month were downright outrageous, at least at my location. I worked customer service (which I guess now its considered both checkout lanes and actual customer service desk) and they gave me a minimum of 30 apps a month. 99.99% of the time, I was dealing with rude, obnoxious people who were mad at me because apparently it was my fault that their product didnt work or something.

The attendance policy was downright ridiculous. I missed two days of work in maybe 4 months, which to me, is not that bad considering alot of other employees called off more than one time a month, and I got put on final warning for "excessive absences" when one of those absences was excused by a doctor's note.

The pay wasnt worth the hours I was getting. I got maybe 15 hours a week if I was lucky. When I asked why, they said it was because I wasn't meeting my goals every month, yet wouldn't give me a chance to actually meet them by putting me in a position to. I asked to be put in front lanes to help me get my app number up, but then constantly would be put at customer service and ridiculed for not having more than maybe 10 apps a month. I am not a shy person either, and would ask even people at customer service to apply for a credit card regardless of how angry they were at me for whatever.

Instead of paying attention to your employees goals and other unnecessary stuff like that, try adhering to the customer more. Give hangs on training to your employees and actually take some one on one time to explain things instead of throwing them in front of a computer to do elearnings so you could stay in your office and chat with other managers.

If you like almost no downtime, work here

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on merchandise, 401k match, employee stock purchase program

Cons

Worked at a very high volume store. GeekSquad seems to be its own separate store which means you will sometimes have no backup.

Support that department because they have to explain what your sales floor does not.

Many Pros. Many Cons

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People tend to be pretty laid back.
    Leadership is great at department level.
    Raises based on quarterly or annual reviews.
    Discount is fantastic.

Some of the people in leadership positions are wonderful and know what they're doing, and they are willing to help you expand your skills. Others, not so much.

Excluding a select few, everyone seems to be very friendly and open here. It does become like a second family since most people, even part timers, seem to be at work more than anywhere else. Which could merit a good or bad thing based on preference.

It seems like a great foot-in-the-door opportunity, giving you a decent amount of knowledge and experience working in a retail position.

Cons

Pitiful Life/Work balance.
    Leadership can be somewhat rude.
    Questionable pay and compensation.
    Training could definitely be worked upon.
    Too pushy with services and credit cards.
    Brutal attendance policy.

It seems that you're supposed to come in the door with the ability to hit a specific number day one, and when you don't, instead of being lead in the right direction it seems that you're shunned and expected to make up for it without being given a different approach or being properly guided.

Having to balance work and school with this job can be nearly impossible if you don't make it abundantly clear what you can do. Even with multiple requests to have hours for a part time position reduced to under 30 weekly, (Average for part time for me has been 35-40, which I find completely obscene considering I don't get compensation for working what I believe is legally full time) I have yet to see it drop to a reasonable number.

Deputy CIA Supervisor

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great enviroment for development, career growth and new opportunities! I have been with the company for over 8 years and am still going.

Cons

Decline in leadership structure, workloads have increased due to newer operating model. Would like to have more leadership present.

NA