Best Buy Reviews in Cleveland, OH

5,655 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,787 Ratings

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not a terrible environment and it can pay well if you have a good manager but I had very little training when I started

Former Employee - Computer Sales Specialist  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to move up in the company
    Company had good employee benefits
    Not commission based but bonus with base pay

Pretty much if you hit your numbers and can prove in front of management that you can consistently you'll get what you want. If you don't you will hate your job and I have seen people cry.

Cons

High stress environment - pressure to push attachments and not products
    Need to make good sales
    Pain to get an interview even for qualified candidates

Management will essentially dictate if you like working here and I have seen them make employees cry by telling them they suck. Also management will randomly tell you that you have to do more than what is in your job description and you are not expected to argue back.

Better leadership but I from you can see in the stocks and company performance this has changed a little.

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good pay young people keep it fresh

Cons

sales numbers are becomeing to big, pushy managers, unhealthy life work balance. I was told I had to earn a home life

Treat your employees better. I tell people not to shop there now

Retail...

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will make friends for life. Great first job where you will learn a lot of skills in this job that will help you in future careers. Plus the discount isn't too shabby either.

Cons

You won't move up unless you are a favorite. There is not as much growth in this company for employees as there once was previously.

Employees are valuable to your company. They put in effort everyday to be the best they can for you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy for less than a year

Pros

Great culture - team environment is guaranteed. Management is always engaged with employees and customers to improve work and shopping experience for both sides.

Cons

As with any retail job, the hours can be long. It's hard to find anyone in a bad mood when working here.

a company trending downward

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits, if you are full-time. Some solid accommodations w partner brands in terms of discounts. Depending on your store, you can take advantage of extra savings on open box items.

Cons

Way too much politics, especially with store level management and above. Company fosters a system of "it's not what you know but who you know" to the extreme...typically, most supervisors, managers and district staff know each other and have been doing favors for others for years.

Severely understaffed due to poor sales and a failure to adjust accordingly to the advent of Internet sales by amazon. This puts a strain on the staff to perform.

Geek squad is nothing but a ripoff, most of the services they charge for you can either do yourself or have someone do it for 1/4 the price.

Basically a popularity contest, the more they like you, the safer your job is. the minute you do something to anger someone, or cause more work for the higher ups, consider yourself on shaky ground.

Highly unethical places. People taking bribes to hire employees, Poor policy on dating coworkers which is never upheld, tons of theft and a general failure to help customers immediately and correctly.

and, Best buy claims to bring out the best in their employees but go into any store and see how most of them are beat down left and right because they either got passed over for a promotion, or treated like crap so much that they hate working there.

if you're not willing to do the work in training and supporting your staff, then how do you expect people to shop your stores?

A fun place to work until management decided to change sales floor, with floating sales people

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun culture and nice discount I also enjoyed the customers and my fellow employees and as a customer I would visit Best buy once a week to now maybe once every 3 months, because I can never find what I want or can NEVER FIND AN ASSOCIATE UNLESS it is home theater or computers

Cons

low hourly wage and the sales process was changed from experts in certain areas of the store to floating sales which meant the customer lose the expert in cameras or media who new the new songs and where to find anything,recently I went to Best Buy to buy a CD but even though inventory said 6 available no one could find them..sad

trust your sales force and please rethink this "new sales program because it annoys me and I am sure other customers, I went from a guy who as a customer loved the place so much i got a job there to a guy who hardy goes to the stores anymore

Meh....

Current Employee - Sales  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you're in high school or college, it's good enough for spending money.

Cons

Pay wasn't great and the managers are very demanding, always pushing you to "make your numbers" as though you aren't trying hard enough in the first place... They get a bonus if their store hits a certain figure, but the actual sales teams do not.

Hire better, smarter, and mor professional store managers.

Disconnected Message

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere, meet all different sorts of people, helping customers solve their problems is rewarding.

Cons

Best Buy preaches its values as no customer goes unserved and no employee goes untrained. Sounds great and something employees can believe in and rally around, but in reality, BBY does not live up to these values. Training is minimal and scattered. Once you hit the floor the customer service first idea is quickly abandoned for closing sales, upsells, GSP, branded payments and selling services. There is a clear disconnect.

Apply the values you preach. Train your people well, be experts, solve problems for customers. Stop selling and lead customers through a buying experience. The key to building a relationship with anyone for any reason is helping someone solve a problem and expect nothing in return. Live that approach for a while.

Employment opportunities

Current Employee - Mobile Lead  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Mobile Lead in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co workers and team members, Department integration. Work incentivies and benifits. Work well with school schedule and can accomodate for unexpected occurances in a person's life.

Cons

Managment accountability and peer to peer respect. Inventory as well as department and store functionality.

Work and understand the point of view of the individual employees of each department. Better communication between management.

keep moving or you'll get stuck...

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

its really not a hard job...if you have any type of assertiveness whatsoever. discount "was" good until company cut it drastically. vendors usually gave you free stuff.

Cons

its not what you know, but "who" you know, and how you benefit them. very easy to get in someone's doghouse, and if someone wants you gone, its very easy for that to happen, too. company values are not consistent with day-to-day sales expectations. big-box stores are a breeding ground for sexual harassment and somewhat-encouraged sleeping around.

if you dont train your employees the right way, then don't be surprised by the results you get. also, line-level workers can see the bs a mile away. don't gloss them over and expect them to run thru a brick wall for you.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!