Best Buy

6,170 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,055 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 760 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 323 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 204 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 189 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun so far

Current Employee - Digital Life Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Digital Life Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

great people and a nice discount. Get to network and meet new people everyday. game nights at the store where we play video games all night long.

Cons

management does not know how to manage. Not a great opportunity to move up in the company most definitely not enough money to support a family. Oh and it's retail.

Give more opportunities to move up with in the company for people who might want to make best buy their carrer.

Quality of job dependent on location.

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great fellow associates, great discounts.

Cons

Management is awful and high turn over.

Don't treat your employees horribly if you want them to stick around!

The team I worked with was awesome, the company is very indecisive about major changes, lots of bad managers.

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome environment with other employees, cool products to work with all day, and in a couple of months you will be schooling everyone you know on electronics!

Cons

Lots of terrible management that a lot of the time only care about you "numbers" and performance. Which sadly, in return creates a impersonal experience with your leaders. Changes from corporate that trickle down in to stores a lot of the time feel "inaccurate" to what actually is going on and the changes usually don't fix or help to make the customers or employees experience better. Seems like corporate is out of touch with its stores. EXTREME lack of communication all across the board.

Start listening to your employees input more. LEARN HOW TO SCHEDULE! Finally, make accurate communication to employees on what is being said to you from your GM and DM! Stop hoping they figure it out on their own.

Best Buy is a great job to work your way up.

Former Employee - Computer and Tablet Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Computer and Tablet Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The starting pay is usually pretty decent, and hours, even as a part time employee were good. There are a lot of opportunities to bonus and obtain extra incentive through Path to Excellence points. The knowledge you gain by working in your department is pretty substantial.

Cons

Management is...awful. It's hard to explain whether it was their general attitude or the fact that they acted like your boss, instead of leading you in the right direction. It fluctuated while I was there, but generally they had a pretty bad demeanor.

You must remove yourself from the pedestals you think you're on. Come down to our level and coach, don't just boss us around.

Alright Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Fun place to work (at times), good employee discount, fun co-workers but NOT fun managers, great products, monopoly over the competition

Cons

Long hours, tedious work, not enough training, too much emphasis on multiple items for sales such as selling "insurance" on products

Be friendlier and more open to staff. It's hard to work for managers that don't seem to care and are only their own good.

Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

There are a good amount of benefits

Cons

Management! The worst place I've ever work for in my life. The level of disconnection between managers and their employees is appalling. Best Buy might be bearable if managers treated their employees with a modicum of respect, unfortunately corporate training for managers must include belittling, yelling, and disrespecting employees in front of each other, because that's all I've ever experienced. I will be elated when I leave this job!

Hire people with morals.