Best Buy

3.3 5,394 reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,658 ratings)

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 672 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 162 reviews)

• To move to full-time you need to be numbers focused ALL OF THE TIME(in 158 reviews)

5,394 Employee Reviews

Great company to develop at

Senior Market Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDevelopment of internal talent.
    Challenging work with fun products.
    Great 401k, time off and health benefits for full time employees.
    World class short term bonus system, even for part time employees.

ConsThe company is very leadership top heavy making innovation hard. New employee training at the store level is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating so many competing priorities for people to go after. Continue the investment in development of employees and creating a fun workplace.

Fun place to work!!

Computer Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Buford, GA

ProsI have been working there for about 8 months and I have really enjoyed it!! The location I work at is one of the more highly rated stores. Its big and beautiful. The people I work with are fun, the managers are really down to earth and are always involved. The store really promotes a team work experience and attempts to really draw people together. Especially working as a salesman, you get MANY opportunities for promotions, bonuses, events, contests, and every month you're walking away with store credit, extra cash, or even a new computer or headphones, its always something!! The employee discounts are great, having access to all products in store at manufacture price!! The work force is very organized and energetic, and everyone loves to be there.

ConsWorking in this type of sales puts you in contact with a lot of empty headed, middle aged individuals who approach you with major expectations for some new gadget to they are coming to buy, whether a new comptuer, tv, or cellphone. The people seem very selfish and greedy many times, it makes you want to go give money to an shelter after you finish your shift just to make yourself feel better. The customers understand very little a lot of times about what they are buying, but come in with an attitude as if they know more than you. To sum it up: They understand nothing, they expect everything, and if not given to them how they like it, they give you fire. However, for those who love electronics, it is a joy to work with those occasional customers who actually do have a head on their shoulders and do understand, and can truly appreciate what you have to offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been disappointed to see the quality of some of the employees that you allow. Work more closely and create tighter reigns in the quality of the workforce, and the numbers will increase.

Great part time position

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsClear expectations
    Adequate training
    Great coworkers
    Great perks
    Flexible scheduling
    Management was efficient, clear, and direct
    Upward mobility
    Job was not overly demanding

ConsEery corporate culture
    Can be negatively impacted by policy that you have no control over
    Locations are usually inconvenient to commute to
    Shrinking industry

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Buy Mobile sale Consultant

Promotional Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Phila, PA

ProsHour's are flexible depending on management. Full time student- and part time employee (20-30 hours)

ConsNot for people who are not willing to customer one on one sales. Not cash and clerk

Fulfilling while it lasted

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe associates are the best part about working at Best Buy, I've met amazing people and made great friendships. The employee discount is awesome.

ConsI've worked at a few stores and the leadership at every store isn't always its best. You have to deal with unfair leadership at certain stores.

Good Place to start, Terrible place to stay.

Best Buy Sales Associate (Current Employee) Springfield, VA

ProsIf you're a student, Best Buy will be incredibly flexible with you. That was probably the main perk of working there. The managers vary store by store and district by district so you might have really chill management or really strict. It looks good on your resume and they have decent benefits for full time employees but nothing really for part time. They can pay about $3,000 for school if you're a full time worker and students and it does teach you a lot about sales. You are gonna be become really good friends with your department, really chill atmosphere.

ConsManagement can be very demanding. Pay when I first started was 8.50 and half a year later they start people off with 9.50 and 10.00 and when I ask for a raise they don't give it to me. They tell me I have to wait a full year to go up to 9.50 maybe. The inconsistency with pay was what made me leave. They constantly make you take eLearnings and learn new useless information. Very hard company to move up in, a lot of butt kissing is involved.

Pretty good pay, high turnover.

Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate (Current Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsNice pay relative to other retail sales positions.
    Employee accommodation programs from companies to purchase products directly.

ConsHigh turnover rates for sales position and management.
    Position satisfaction highly dependent on personal performance and direct management

Great place to work at

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEveryone was very nice and supportive
    goals were not hard to meet
    always recognize their employees if they did an outstanding job that month

Conssome of the cons about working about best buy is how long the process from hiring to getting on the floor, and also, I was part-time, and would still get scheduled for 7-8 hour shifts

Manager

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Altoona, PA

Prosnone everything is good for now

Consnone everything is good for now

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great company

Sales Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsRewarding environment if you like high volume and fast pace!

ConsWaaaaaay too much politics and favoritism from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust do the right thing and stay business minded...

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!