Best Buy

6,317 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,142 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people and great environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive and friendly atmosphere with good HR policies. The benefits are very good compared to other retail jobs and the atmosphere is very positive.

Cons

You have to apply separately for a full time position when there is an opening and there are usually multiple applicants, so even with good job performance it can sometimes take a while to get out of a part time position.

It worked for a bit

Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Solutions Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on the store: The environment can be super friendly and engaging. The discounts were great and overall it was better than not.

Cons

The pay is awful, holidays are awful, the discounts got worse, the company fires as much as it hires, prepare to work with kids and adults who act like kids.

Better compensation, interactive training, better engagement w/ your employee

Good company

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job, fun working with technology

Cons

Getting beat by Amazon, little room for growth

Too much scripting

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The customers are great for the most part. Every day brings an interesting challenge.

Cons

I am no longer a human being on the phone with these people. Why even bother hiring humans to read these scripts? An IVR could do it, and the IVR wouldn't draw a salary. Some people who call in already think I am an IVR because of the scripts, they start barking out commands like people tend to do when they are talking to a computer. It would be funny if it weren't for the obvious conclusion you have to draw from this. I see the writing on the wall and I am looking for work because I know you won't keep us once you figure out how to make an IVR work for this line of business.

I take sales over the phone. I'm good at it. My record speaks for itself. Or it did until all the scripting started. I understand the reasoning behind it. There are agents who need the scripts. But by idiot proofing the process against those agents, you've cut the good agents off at the knees. You will reduce the entire workforce to mediocrity with these scripts. There is a certain segment of the population who would prefer an IVR, so I can see the advantage of setting one up for basic sales. However, there comes a point in some transactions where the caller is going to want to speak to a live human being. They should have an option to do so, and that human being had ought to be working with minimal scripting. When you have that set up working please keep me in mind. I like my job. Some scripting is necessary. But the level of scripting going on now is extremely disheartening and actively interfering with me giving my best.

Fun, Relaxing and enjoyable

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was not bad, there was room for growth, the work environment was laid back and the staff was so much fun to work with! A lot of personality and diversity within the company for sure!

Cons

Benefits weren't great, coworkers would hang out outside of work on our own, but not too many company activities.

Great Company Having to Make Changes to Survive!

Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Fun environment to work in with cool gadgets to play with.
    - Employee discount is awesome to have.
    - Pay is good, but come at the retail price (hours, holidays).

Cons

- Work-life balance can be hard to achieve sometimes.
    - It is retail hours which means no holidays off and every year you are opening earlier and earlier.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonuses and discounts, people you work with

Cons

worrying about you individual progress

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Multi-Channel Sales Support Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Multi-Channel Sales Support Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay for retail managers. Good associates. Great experience to get to the next level at other Big Box retail.

Cons

Everything else. Hours, salaried expectations, you name it, miserable work life balance. Terrible upper management, district staff was a joke.

Take care of your employees.

Great if you're 20

Current Employee - Many in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Many in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits- healthcare, 401k, ESPP
    Good development program- its easy to get promoted and gain the skills you need
    Great Skills for the rest of your life-Good leadership skills can be carried on beyond Best Buy

Cons

Low pay
    A lot of sexism and good ole boys club
    Not family oriented towards employees-Id actually say you get held back if you try to put family first(forget Sundays and Holidays off!)
    LOOONG hours

Stop changing your organizational model every 2 years-change takes time to impact
    Tailor your careers more towards mom, outside of the Minnesota/Corporate area

Mostly good people to work with, but upper management is uneducated and inexperienced.

Former Employee - Sales Support Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Support Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The employee discount is the best thing about working for this company. Your co-workers are generally friendly people and fun to work with. Benefits are much better than most retail jobs. I did have the rare manager (maybe 2) in my 10 years from which I learned a good deal.

Cons

Most of the managers that I worked with in my ten years there were extremely uneducated (e.g., one had to ask me how to spell words every time he sent an email) and seemed to be lacking in abilities to manage their staff. Hours were generally tight and when I was not in a supervisory role, I was lucky to get more than 32 hours (full-time minimum) each week. For some reason, Best Buy seems to attract the most entitled and irate customers who expect you to make deals for them for no reason. Upon my resignation after 10+ years, no manager or member of district staff even attempted to retain my employment. Don't dedicate yourself to this company, it will get you nothing in the long-run.

Require four-year degrees for your AMs, GMs, and members of district staff. You should be embarrassed to employ senior management with less intelligence than those in full-time or supervisory positions.

Find other ways to trim expenses beyond cutting so much labor. My managers were stressed out on a daily basis due to pressures from district staff around cutting their labor and we were ALWAYS understaffed (which angered our customers when they could not receive assistance).