Best Buy Reviews in Denver, CO

5,821 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,868 Ratings

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 729 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 311 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 196 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 181 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy job, fun working with technology

Cons

Getting beat by Amazon, little room for growth

Fun, Relaxing and enjoyable

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay was not bad, there was room for growth, the work environment was laid back and the staff was so much fun to work with! A lot of personality and diversity within the company for sure!

Cons

Benefits weren't great, coworkers would hang out outside of work on our own, but not too many company activities.

Too much scripting

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The customers are great for the most part. Every day brings an interesting challenge.

Cons

I am no longer a human being on the phone with these people. Why even bother hiring humans to read these scripts? An IVR could do it, and the IVR wouldn't draw a salary. Some people who call in already think I am an IVR because of the scripts, they start barking out commands like people tend to do when they are talking to a computer. It would be funny if it weren't for the obvious conclusion you have to draw from this. I see the writing on the wall and I am looking for work because I know you won't keep us once you figure out how to make an IVR work for this line of business.

I take sales over the phone. I'm good at it. My record speaks for itself. Or it did until all the scripting started. I understand the reasoning behind it. There are agents who need the scripts. But by idiot proofing the process against those agents, you've cut the good agents off at the knees. You will reduce the entire workforce to mediocrity with these scripts. There is a certain segment of the population who would prefer an IVR, so I can see the advantage of setting one up for basic sales. However, there comes a point in some transactions where the caller is going to want to speak to a live human being. They should have an option to do so, and that human being had ought to be working with minimal scripting. When you have that set up working please keep me in mind. I like my job. Some scripting is necessary. But the level of scripting going on now is extremely disheartening and actively interfering with me giving my best.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company Having to Make Changes to Survive!

Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Fun environment to work in with cool gadgets to play with.
    - Employee discount is awesome to have.
    - Pay is good, but come at the retail price (hours, holidays).

Cons

- Work-life balance can be hard to achieve sometimes.
    - It is retail hours which means no holidays off and every year you are opening earlier and earlier.

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Multi-Channel Sales Support Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Multi-Channel Sales Support Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay for retail managers. Good associates. Great experience to get to the next level at other Big Box retail.

Cons

Everything else. Hours, salaried expectations, you name it, miserable work life balance. Terrible upper management, district staff was a joke.

Take care of your employees.

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Bonuses and discounts, people you work with

Cons

worrying about you individual progress

Great if you're 20

Current Employee - Many  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Many in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits- healthcare, 401k, ESPP
    Good development program- its easy to get promoted and gain the skills you need
    Great Skills for the rest of your life-Good leadership skills can be carried on beyond Best Buy

Cons

Low pay
    A lot of sexism and good ole boys club
    Not family oriented towards employees-Id actually say you get held back if you try to put family first(forget Sundays and Holidays off!)
    LOOONG hours

Stop changing your organizational model every 2 years-change takes time to impact
    Tailor your careers more towards mom, outside of the Minnesota/Corporate area

Mostly good people to work with, but upper management is uneducated and inexperienced.

Former Employee - Sales Support Supervisor  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Support Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The employee discount is the best thing about working for this company. Your co-workers are generally friendly people and fun to work with. Benefits are much better than most retail jobs. I did have the rare manager (maybe 2) in my 10 years from which I learned a good deal.

Cons

Most of the managers that I worked with in my ten years there were extremely uneducated (e.g., one had to ask me how to spell words every time he sent an email) and seemed to be lacking in abilities to manage their staff. Hours were generally tight and when I was not in a supervisory role, I was lucky to get more than 32 hours (full-time minimum) each week. For some reason, Best Buy seems to attract the most entitled and irate customers who expect you to make deals for them for no reason. Upon my resignation after 10+ years, no manager or member of district staff even attempted to retain my employment. Don't dedicate yourself to this company, it will get you nothing in the long-run.

Require four-year degrees for your AMs, GMs, and members of district staff. You should be embarrassed to employ senior management with less intelligence than those in full-time or supervisory positions.

Find other ways to trim expenses beyond cutting so much labor. My managers were stressed out on a daily basis due to pressures from district staff around cutting their labor and we were ALWAYS understaffed (which angered our customers when they could not receive assistance).

Exciting people to work with, but a robotic force fed sales force where attachment is valued above true solutions.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There used to be opportunity for performers to advance, and the compensation was strong.

Cons

The business model is grossly outdated, and like EVERY other business of its type that is already gone, the end is likely looming.

You told us all change is a value, and that BBY changes quickly. Now that I have been a customer for a year, I will tell you the experience IS NOT DIFFERENT for the rest of us. It's a lottery. One day you get a rock star, most days you get a minimally trained and only slightly motivated employee to go through the motions. I know you try to fix this... but the success is limited.

Good environment with terrible management

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee discount,great peers and decent pay

Cons

Awful management, stacking customers due to awful schedule creation

They are hopeless. No need for advice.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!