Best Buy

Best Buy Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 11, 2014

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 672 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 162 reviews)

• To move to full-time you need to be numbers focused ALL OF THE TIME(in 158 reviews)

92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I survived Best Buy

Best Buy Mobile SAS Lead Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe people I worked with were awesome and made the job fun and rewarding.

The bonus was based on how the store did as a whole- I liked that better. It gave everyone a level playing field and the opportunity to motivate the team instead of just individuals.

The discount was always nice.

I worked in the Galleria in Houston and I got to meet different people everyday from around the world. It was a great experience.

Always room for advancement-if you work for it!

ConsTwo words:customer service. It will never be an easy going job, but it makes you stronger. We dealt with our fair share of crap customers (we all know those people exist) but it's manageable.

Best Buy now opens on Thanksgiving night, which I completely disagree with. Luckily, I left in Nov. 2012 when that started.

Store Managers often came and went.

More, More, More

Home Theater Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI enjoy the diversity and cultural acceptance. I take advantage of the insurance and 401k

ConsThe only thing that matters is getting more. More GSP, more revenue, higher margin. I understand being profitable but at what cost? As an employee we are not commissioned but all I hear every day is how we have to make bonus. That means nothing to the people actually doing the work. I feel like I am padding the supervisors and managers pockets with nothing in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your employees with adequate compensation.

Ok Job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsFlexible hours and free shirts. Co workers were very respectful at all times and managers seemed to be nice.

ConsConstant pressure to sell sell sell garbage service protection plans that were way too expensive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good beginning job

SWAT Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits. Good incentives. Strong desire to make sales

ConsHard to earn promotion. No appreciation for inventory staff

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more stringent standards and hold people accountable to their actions

Great Starting Point, Move on if you want to move up in the company.

Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) The Woodlands, TX

ProsDepending on your Leadership the training is great, Hours depending on what type of store you are at are good also

ConsLowest paid employees in retail next to walmart, If you want to move up in the company you need to join the local Good ole boys club. Its about who you know and not what you know.

Its an ok place to work as part time

Advance Repair Agent (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees

ConsManagement are not well trained , a lot of favoritism, and they are not fair with all of the employees. Always not enough staff working especially on Geeksquad. Lack of leadership from top managers.

Only good as a temporary position

Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat coworkers!
    Employee discount
    Flexible Hours
    Great place to work if you are into electronics

ConsPoor Wages
    Poor Management
    No Breaks/Lunches
    Security plan is very weak and does not allow for effective loss prevention.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to keep a full staff on the premises at all times. Customers do not get the help they are looking for and employees cannot take breaks or lunches when you only keep a bare bones staff.

Changing company

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe employees are great and so are some of the customers

ConsThe major changes that are happening. Its like they dont care about the employees anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and they will take care of yoy

Great place to thrive

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsExcellent learning experience at the store level. If you work somewhere front office (cashier, sales, etc.) you will literally experience every aspect of retail: sales, cashiering, inventory, loss prevention, etc. The management is a blast to work with. The expectations of a sales position are reasonable for the pay. The benefits are fantastic! You get to challenge yourself in problem solving every day. Close knit connection between peers. The customers are rational for the most part. Training is extensive but rewarding. Access to payroll, schedule, training all available online. Extremely coherent company.

ConsCustomers often take out from our NPS score when certain things are not within our grasp to improve. This is retail, so expect working when everyone else is off. There's no reason why associates should have to stick around in the store as late as 2am working on a "truck night". The push to sell services and Geek Squad Protection is often excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys have nailed the training experience for associates, but sometimes you have to understand that there are people out there that are sufficiently skilled that they don't benefit from services we offer.

DCI

Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat developmental training in leadership

ConsShifts are long, no family time

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!