Best Buy

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

91 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I survived Best Buy

Best Buy Mobile SAS Lead Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe people I worked with were awesome and made the job fun and rewarding.

The bonus was based on how the store did as a whole- I liked that better. It gave everyone a level playing field and the opportunity to motivate the team instead of just individuals.

The discount was always nice.

I worked in the Galleria in Houston and I got to meet different people everyday from around the world. It was a great experience.

Always room for advancement-if you work for it!

ConsTwo words:customer service. It will never be an easy going job, but it makes you stronger. We dealt with our fair share of crap customers (we all know those people exist) but it's manageable.

Best Buy now opens on Thanksgiving night, which I completely disagree with. Luckily, I left in Nov. 2012 when that started.

Store Managers often came and went.

Ok Job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFlexible hours and free shirts. Co workers were very respectful at all times and managers seemed to be nice.

ConsConstant pressure to sell sell sell garbage service protection plans that were way too expensive

Great Starting Point, Move on if you want to move up in the company.

Inventory Specialist (Former Employee)
    The Woodlands, TX

ProsDepending on your Leadership the training is great, Hours depending on what type of store you are at are good also

ConsLowest paid employees in retail next to walmart, If you want to move up in the company you need to join the local Good ole boys club. Its about who you know and not what you know.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good beginning job

SWAT Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. Good incentives. Strong desire to make sales

ConsHard to earn promotion. No appreciation for inventory staff

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace more stringent standards and hold people accountable to their actions

Its an ok place to work as part time

Advance Repair Agent (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees

ConsManagement are not well trained , a lot of favoritism, and they are not fair with all of the employees. Always not enough staff working especially on Geeksquad. Lack of leadership from top managers.

Only good as a temporary position

Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers!
    Employee discount
    Flexible Hours
    Great place to work if you are into electronics

ConsPoor Wages
    Poor Management
    No Breaks/Lunches
    Security plan is very weak and does not allow for effective loss prevention.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to keep a full staff on the premises at all times. Customers do not get the help they are looking for and employees cannot take breaks or lunches when you only keep a bare bones staff.

Changing company

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe employees are great and so are some of the customers

ConsThe major changes that are happening. Its like they dont care about the employees anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and they will take care of yoy

Started out fun in the beginning...

Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsI started off as an ARA ( Advanced Repair Agent)for Geek Squad and began fixing everything from laptops to phones. Virus removals, complete tear downs of laptops to replace HDDs deep inside of mostly Dells... The occasional iPhone and laptop screen replacement.. Anything and everything except build the computer I did it.

ConsHOURS. (It's retail, so it shifts everyday) I went in being promised 40hours a week, but the most I'd ever get was 35 being full time. No appreciation, no help from management. The Consultant Agents (CA) don't know much about computers and will check in anything for any reason to make the sale of tech support for ($199 a year) Sometimes they are told to sell as much as possible for any reason to make the day's quota. I have seen many people conned out of their hard earned money when if the CA would have known what they were doing could have easily fixed it for them and charged a $29 client education fee. Instead the company and management want their money, so they'd rather take more of the customer's dough. I've fixed countless "rush my repair" computers where the client is charged an extra $100 to get their computer back in 24 hours in 3-4 hours. Simple stuff, that may come easy to somewhat who knows what they're doing still shouldn't cost a customer that much money. Geek Squad is a rip off & their tech support is immediately shoved down your throat when you bring in a computer that has minimal problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees right and remember without them there is no YOU. Schedule hours correctly, and don't have your employees stay until 10pm closing and then have them show up at 7am the next day.

Customer Service Agent/Associate/Specialist.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe people have made every day working there excellent. Like any entry-level retail position, it has its ups and downs. I'm okay with what I've been given in such a short time. You pick up certain skills that can come in handy. As a shy person, I've developed a more pronounced way of expressing myself, with has helped me quite a bit.

ConsManagement is too pressured by the higher-ups. Their stress is passed down to the floor associates, which sometimes affects the overall work atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the rules. Stick to the policies. Be fair with every customer. Train your employees better. Throwing them into a position they know nothing about without their consent and expecting them to do well is never a good thing.

Great place to thrive

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsExcellent learning experience at the store level. If you work somewhere front office (cashier, sales, etc.) you will literally experience every aspect of retail: sales, cashiering, inventory, loss prevention, etc. The management is a blast to work with. The expectations of a sales position are reasonable for the pay. The benefits are fantastic! You get to challenge yourself in problem solving every day. Close knit connection between peers. The customers are rational for the most part. Training is extensive but rewarding. Access to payroll, schedule, training all available online. Extremely coherent company.

ConsCustomers often take out from our NPS score when certain things are not within our grasp to improve. This is retail, so expect working when everyone else is off. There's no reason why associates should have to stick around in the store as late as 2am working on a "truck night". The push to sell services and Geek Squad Protection is often excessive.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys have nailed the training experience for associates, but sometimes you have to understand that there are people out there that are sufficiently skilled that they don't benefit from services we offer.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All 91 reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.