Best Buy

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

91 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worst Buy

Product Process Associate (Former Employee)
    Baytown, TX

ProsFun coworkers. Started out being flexible with employees but that soon changed as the company made changes to management positions.

ConsHorrible management, over the years each new manager was worse than the last. NO manager seemed to truly care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to relate to your employees

Not the best place too work for

Digital Imaging (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosco-workers are fun too be around

ConsManagement could be better by talk too you not at you

Advice to Senior Managementlearn how too treat the employees with some respect

Training inadequate, lot's of system issues, very stressful, hard to get paid if you do get paid.

Work At Home Agent-Customer Service (Former Employee)
    Humble, TX

ProsSaved gas, no commute, paid training, Not much else to say as far as pros, Even if you are computer savy, you will still be confused on some of the policies and also how to navigate in 6 different systems, plus learning pages and pages of company issues. They use IE and Java which is not compatible so expect a lot of system issues.

ConsTo be a work at home agent for Best Buy you have to buy an office phone with a mute button $45.00 headset $25.00. You also need a hardwired land line and it cost me $80.00 plus $20.00 a month just for a dial tone, high speed internet $60.00. Training is only 1 wk to learn 6 systems and it is not fun at all, our trainer was distraced most of the time and very scattered with the subjects. I started 3 wks ago and still no pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrainer should speak clearly and concisely and stay on one subject before going to another one. New employees need at least 2 weeks to learn everything before handling customer complaints and issues. Pay your employees even if you have to cut them a check.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great in the beginning!

Home Theater Specialist (Former Employee)
    Conroe, TX

ProsFairly flexible work schedule for students. There are a few good people with good attitudes and supervisors will often work with you with scheduling. Definitely a good place to keep up with technology.

ConsConstant weekend trainings that are mandatory get really old really fast. A lot of opening shifts right after closing. Never a set schedule, its always changing. Tons of 4 hour shifts that are hardly worth driving from home if you live further away. Not to mention if you have a set availability they don't care. A whole lot of favoritism! Employee discount is almost non-existent now and so are the store bonuses. If you don't share the managements opinions then you better keep them to yourself!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the favoritism shift the focus back to the employee and this company might succeed.

it sucks, if you have a better place to work for go there isntead, best buy wants you to be available all the time......

Sales Associate Lead (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood pay, great friendships, hot guys, blue crew buck (bonus) awsome discount on accessories. on other stuff.

Conspoor training sitting on a desk for hours doing elearnings... poor management that all they do is rant about why we didnt sell black tie when the customer doesnt want it and blame it on us that we didnt sell enough. o.O hours are crazy, like we dont have a life outside of work. very selfish people (management) unfair they take as long as they want on their lunch, constant harrasment to hit revenue takes a long time to move up..

Advice to Senior ManagementDont be a fat booty and sit all day, actually help the employees not tell them to take care of the customer... managers and sups are suppose to know everything about the store... yet they dont. well learn more like we did. also, give us a break from all the black tie protection stop harrasing us.

Only good as a temporary position

Asset Protection Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers!
    Employee discount
    Flexible Hours
    Great place to work if you are into electronics

ConsPoor Wages
    Poor Management
    No Breaks/Lunches
    Security plan is very weak and does not allow for effective loss prevention.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to keep a full staff on the premises at all times. Customers do not get the help they are looking for and employees cannot take breaks or lunches when you only keep a bare bones staff.

Worst place ever

Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsNothing pro to say about this company

Consno training, pay is a bit over min wage, management doesn't even know half the company policies ect ect

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some training and treat your employees better

Great for high school and college attendees

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Pros- most people who work there are laid back
    - hours always available

Cons- can be very cliquish amongst management
    - black friday is like a religious holy day to them
    - regardless of what management does, you will be held accountable for their actions as well as your own as a CSR
    - pay sucks and now has cap

I did not enjoy working for this company at all.

Wireless Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
    Sugar Land, TX

ProsUp to date on latest technology

ConsLittle to no training
    Discount is not good
    Highly competitive
    Long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementOversee training of new employees more carefully, do not allow them to go on to the floor with minor computer training

As a lower level, it's a decent company

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsDecent pay compare to other retailers or what's left of other retailers.

Some stores are flexible with hours

You get some retail experience that may help you in the future, depending on what you're planning on doing in the future.

ConsIt's hard to give the company a lot of pros considering my positions varied greatly during the 9 years I worked there. If you're a line level employee, expect to be pressured to sell a variety of protection plans, subscriptions, etc. If you make it through to the higher levels of management, expect even more pressure without inhibition. Yelling, cussing, threatening, etc... The HR dept is almost non-existent if the issue is not sexual in nature.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile I understand that you have quite a bit of pressure on you from your district and regional staff, please respect your line levels. Work with them, lead them, treat them with respect. This maybe a narrow point of view from the couple of stores I worked in, but the corporate culture that runs through almost all Best Buys is a very similar one. Managers are very concerned about numbers that they forget about people. What's a company without its people?

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All 91 reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.