Best Buy Reviews in Houston, TX

6,002 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,967 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 753 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 321 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 202 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 186 reviews)

More Highlights

108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Starting Point, Move on if you want to move up in the company.

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on your Leadership the training is great, Hours depending on what type of store you are at are good also

Cons

Lowest paid employees in retail next to walmart, If you want to move up in the company you need to join the local Good ole boys club. Its about who you know and not what you know.

Its an ok place to work as part time

Former Employee - Advance Repair Agent in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advance Repair Agent in Houston, TX

Pros

Cons

Management are not well trained , a lot of favoritism, and they are not fair with all of the employees. Always not enough staff working especially on Geeksquad. Lack of leadership from top managers.

Only good as a temporary position

Former Employee - Asset Protection Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers!
    Employee discount
    Flexible Hours
    Great place to work if you are into electronics

Cons

Poor Wages
    Poor Management
    No Breaks/Lunches
    Security plan is very weak and does not allow for effective loss prevention.

You need to keep a full staff on the premises at all times. Customers do not get the help they are looking for and employees cannot take breaks or lunches when you only keep a bare bones staff.

Changing company

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The employees are great and so are some of the customers

Cons

The major changes that are happening. Its like they dont care about the employees anymore

Take care of your employees and they will take care of yoy

Great place to thrive

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent learning experience at the store level. If you work somewhere front office (cashier, sales, etc.) you will literally experience every aspect of retail: sales, cashiering, inventory, loss prevention, etc. The management is a blast to work with. The expectations of a sales position are reasonable for the pay. The benefits are fantastic! You get to challenge yourself in problem solving every day. Close knit connection between peers. The customers are rational for the most part. Training is extensive but rewarding. Access to payroll, schedule, training all available online. Extremely coherent company.

Cons

Customers often take out from our NPS score when certain things are not within our grasp to improve. This is retail, so expect working when everyone else is off. There's no reason why associates should have to stick around in the store as late as 2am working on a "truck night". The push to sell services and Geek Squad Protection is often excessive.

You guys have nailed the training experience for associates, but sometimes you have to understand that there are people out there that are sufficiently skilled that they don't benefit from services we offer.

Started out fun in the beginning...

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started off as an ARA ( Advanced Repair Agent)for Geek Squad and began fixing everything from laptops to phones. Virus removals, complete tear downs of laptops to replace HDDs deep inside of mostly Dells... The occasional iPhone and laptop screen replacement.. Anything and everything except build the computer I did it.

Cons

HOURS. (It's retail, so it shifts everyday) I went in being promised 40hours a week, but the most I'd ever get was 35 being full time. No appreciation, no help from management. The Consultant Agents (CA) don't know much about computers and will check in anything for any reason to make the sale of tech support for ($199 a year) Sometimes they are told to sell as much as possible for any reason to make the day's quota. I have seen many people conned out of their hard earned money when if the CA would have known what they were doing could have easily fixed it for them and charged a $29 client education fee. Instead the company and management want their money, so they'd rather take more of the customer's dough. I've fixed countless "rush my repair" computers where the client is charged an extra $100 to get their computer back in 24 hours in 3-4 hours. Simple stuff, that may come easy to somewhat who knows what they're doing still shouldn't cost a customer that much money. Geek Squad is a rip off & their tech support is immediately shoved down your throat when you bring in a computer that has minimal problems.

Treat your employees right and remember without them there is no YOU. Schedule hours correctly, and don't have your employees stay until 10pm closing and then have them show up at 7am the next day.

Customer Service Agent/Associate/Specialist.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people have made every day working there excellent. Like any entry-level retail position, it has its ups and downs. I'm okay with what I've been given in such a short time. You pick up certain skills that can come in handy. As a shy person, I've developed a more pronounced way of expressing myself, with has helped me quite a bit.

Cons

Management is too pressured by the higher-ups. Their stress is passed down to the floor associates, which sometimes affects the overall work atmosphere.

Stick to the rules. Stick to the policies. Be fair with every customer. Train your employees better. Throwing them into a position they know nothing about without their consent and expecting them to do well is never a good thing.

Worst place ever

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing pro to say about this company

Cons

no training, pay is a bit over min wage, management doesn't even know half the company policies ect ect

Get some training and treat your employees better

DCI

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great developmental training in leadership

Cons

Shifts are long, no family time

Good company

Current Employee - Geek Squad Operations Agent in Spring, TX
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Operations Agent in Spring, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

time off is great, the planning for manning the office is good.

Cons

personal growth is not very good. It requires other positions to open up and they don't open very much

keep up the good work