Best Buy

Best Buy Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 672 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 162 reviews)

• To move to full-time you need to be numbers focused ALL OF THE TIME(in 158 reviews)

297 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company but a lot or restructure frequently

General Manager (Current Employee) Rogers, MN

ProsStrong brand, competitive prices, employee discount, compensation good, field managers very in tune with their stores, overall a good company for many

ConsHours, promotional opportunities, many times it can be who you know to get roles, work, life balance, change frequently, last min changes to schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that restructures shouldn't be drawn out for months

It Procurement and Sourcing -Run as fast as possible

IT Procurement Sourcing Manager (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsHard to think if anything at this point. I will say discounts are good on small ticket items.

ConsI am a previous employee who left on my own. This group has serious issues. More than half this team has quit within two months. The remainder are looking for new opportunities. Terrible management with no support. Processes change everyday. Extreme favoritism, advancing only the people who are part of the "In Crowd" who are not qualified. No concern at all that all the people with any knowledge are leaving No training provided, took away the only good thing and that is working from home. No raises for previous or future year. Bonus requirements changed making it to difficult to meet. Why hasn't HR and upper management started to question why everyone is leaving. I just can't encourage anyone thing about accepting these jobs to keep looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at what and why employees are so unhappy and leaving. Try to make this a functioning team again. Value each employee and bring out their strengths instead of beating them or ignoring them completely

Enjoyed ROWE while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsROWE, fun employees, campus amenities

Conscalling the "help desk" for anything, having work outsourced

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It used to be a great company to work for, but it has rapidly declined.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsCo-workers, compensation, company products and industry

ConsRapidly declining culture ad work environment, lack of trust in the direction of the company and the leaders

Great Company with Hubert Joly and Sharon McCollum leading the way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsHubert Joly and Sharon McCollum
    middle leadership is open to ideas of employees when a compelling case is stated
    I was able to gain a great deal of experience and grow my network profoundly

ConsMiddle leadership was very erratic at times in decisions they made as well as their strategy. I think this was mostly due to their own uncertainty of their jobs as executive leadership evaluated every position and dollar spent at the company during that time.

Work life balance was really poor under some Directors and VPs, some teams were stretched really thin and lower level management was poor in some areas (not all).

In some areas of the company promotions were made not based on skill, talent or leadership ability, but time in-chair.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your lower level managers to be leaders.
    Support your best employees with traning and development opportunities if requested.

Lots of change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsI like the work that I do, and feel important

ConsWorkload increases each time job eliminations happen. Not always clear direction from leadership. No accountability for those who do a poor job, and difficult to have upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clear direction and direct feedback regularly. Understand the impact of employee morale prior to making large changes within the organization, and the impact that it has on the workload of current employees.

Nice place to work, but people matter less and less each year

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsCompensation is decent and while ROWE is "dead" many still allow you to work when and where you need to to get it done.

ConsIt seems that hiring and keeping talented people is no longer a "Renew Blue" priority. Benefits have gone downhill the last couple years. Anyone that was in a position of getting stock was moved into a higher bonus bracket, but there was a 6 month lag.

Manager

General Manager (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsGreat people, good work/life balance (almost to a fault, some people don't do anything).

ConsToo many reorganizations and too much instability today.

Satisfied so far

Senior Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe people that I work with on a day-to-day basis are great and I enjoy working with them. I've learned a lot about being a leader, dealing with difficult situations, pushed outside of my comfort zone and communication.

ConsThe pay still is a little less than competitive and we are losing talent to other companies due to this. When reviewing headcount, they often cut a position and not reviewing the talent and keeping the best talent they have. There are so many hoops to jump through just to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay needs to be reviewed as always, but culture and incentives are down in the dumps. The new executive leadership team has not done anything to maintain a positive work environment, nor have they done anything for employee moral. There are so many things that could be done without spending money to retain talent. They need to learn how to motivate better without giving grand speeches that make them look and sound good with no tangible results.

On the decline

Corporate (Current Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsFairly well compensated, flexible hours, in house workout facility, great cafeteria, good location, coffee shops aplenty, ability to work from a number of different locations, employee discount

ConsLack of unique vision from leadership, lack of leadership domain/ industry knowledge, lack of career tracks in IT, cost cutting measures over innovation (what innovation?!), ungodly amount of process in simple things like basic invoice process and procurement, lack of trust of employees to do the right thing, overreaching leadership

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!