Best Buy

Best Buy Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights
302 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company but a lot or restructure frequently

General Manager (Current Employee) Rogers, MN

ProsStrong brand, competitive prices, employee discount, compensation good, field managers very in tune with their stores, overall a good company for many

ConsHours, promotional opportunities, many times it can be who you know to get roles, work, life balance, change frequently, last min changes to schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that restructures shouldn't be drawn out for months

Enjoyed ROWE while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsROWE, fun employees, campus amenities

Conscalling the "help desk" for anything, having work outsourced

Used to be great

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsThere has always been plenty of opportunity to make an impact at Best Buy. You can work on high-visibility projects and build a good resume. The company used to put high-value on employee engagement and giving employees opportunities to give their opinions on what the company was doing. Execs used to care about their people.

ConsThe biggest challenge today is that top execs truly, genuinely do not care about how employees feel about working at Best Buy. They have actually said so. People work to serve the stock price, which now enrichens only a couple top execs - the CEO and CFO, both recent outsiders. They are Wall Street darlings, but a nightmare when it comes to creating a positive work experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sucking. Harvest your millions and move on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Once a great place to work, now a sinking ship.

Legal Technology (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsWorking for Best Buy, you have the opportunity to work in a hugely diverse number of roles across the company. The employee discount is great. The corporate headquarters is a beautiful office with great amenities.

ConsPoor management throughout the organization -- a very strong good old boys club. As the stock price fell, Best Buy was too slow to adjust strategy. Culture was discarded quickly. Internal promotions and job changes are not rewarded with industry competing salaries. People often have to leave and come back to be paid fairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMicromanaging doesn't solve problems. Best Buy is a young person's company. It should be run with not only young customers in mind, but also provide a work environment that young employees are looking for.

Sr. Product Manager

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsThe best about working at BBY was their discounts

ConsTerrible management, specially Directors. Additionally,the HR department was a disgrace for any organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to deal with diversity or you may cease to exist as an organization.

Great company, challenging environment

Consumer Insights (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsWhen I started at Best Buy I really enjoyed the company, the culture, the learning opportunities, etc. It was a great place to learn and offered a lot of professional growth opportunities.

ConsToo many organizational restructuring activities that disrupted the working environment on an ongoing basis! It just became too difficult to be effective in my role.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee morale is extremely low with all of the change impacting the organization. The leadership teams need to address this, and sincerely do so, if they want to keep talented folks on board.

It used to be a great company to work for, but it has rapidly declined.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsCo-workers, compensation, company products and industry

ConsRapidly declining culture ad work environment, lack of trust in the direction of the company and the leaders

Great Company with Hubert Joly and Sharon McCollum leading the way

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsHubert Joly and Sharon McCollum
    middle leadership is open to ideas of employees when a compelling case is stated
    I was able to gain a great deal of experience and grow my network profoundly

ConsMiddle leadership was very erratic at times in decisions they made as well as their strategy. I think this was mostly due to their own uncertainty of their jobs as executive leadership evaluated every position and dollar spent at the company during that time.

Work life balance was really poor under some Directors and VPs, some teams were stretched really thin and lower level management was poor in some areas (not all).

In some areas of the company promotions were made not based on skill, talent or leadership ability, but time in-chair.

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your lower level managers to be leaders.
    Support your best employees with traning and development opportunities if requested.

Lots of change

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsI like the work that I do, and feel important

ConsWorkload increases each time job eliminations happen. Not always clear direction from leadership. No accountability for those who do a poor job, and difficult to have upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clear direction and direct feedback regularly. Understand the impact of employee morale prior to making large changes within the organization, and the impact that it has on the workload of current employees.

It Procurement and Sourcing -Run as fast as possible

IT Procurement Sourcing Manager (Former Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsHard to think if anything at this point. I will say discounts are good on small ticket items.

ConsI am a previous employee who left on my own. This group has serious issues. More than half this team has quit within two months. The remainder are looking for new opportunities. Terrible management with no support. Processes change everyday. Extreme favoritism, advancing only the people who are part of the "In Crowd" who are not qualified. No concern at all that all the people with any knowledge are leaving No training provided, took away the only good thing and that is working from home. No raises for previous or future year. Bonus requirements changed making it to difficult to meet. Why hasn't HR and upper management started to question why everyone is leaving. I just can't encourage anyone thing about accepting these jobs to keep looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at what and why employees are so unhappy and leaving. Try to make this a functioning team again. Value each employee and bring out their strengths instead of beating them or ignoring them completely

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!