Best Buy

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

305 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

It Procurement and Sourcing -Run as fast as possible

IT Procurement Sourcing Manager (Former Employee)
    Richfield, MN

ProsHard to think if anything at this point. I will say discounts are good on small ticket items.

ConsI am a previous employee who left on my own. This group has serious issues. More than half this team has quit within two months. The remainder are looking for new opportunities. Terrible management with no support. Processes change everyday. Extreme favoritism, advancing only the people who are part of the "In Crowd" who are not qualified. No concern at all that all the people with any knowledge are leaving No training provided, took away the only good thing and that is working from home. No raises for previous or future year. Bonus requirements changed making it to difficult to meet. Why hasn't HR and upper management started to question why everyone is leaving. I just can't encourage anyone thing about accepting these jobs to keep looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a hard look at what and why employees are so unhappy and leaving. Try to make this a functioning team again. Value each employee and bring out their strengths instead of beating them or ignoring them completely

Good company but a lot or restructure frequently

General Manager (Current Employee)
    Rogers, MN

ProsStrong brand, competitive prices, employee discount, compensation good, field managers very in tune with their stores, overall a good company for many

ConsHours, promotional opportunities, many times it can be who you know to get roles, work, life balance, change frequently, last min changes to schedule.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that restructures shouldn't be drawn out for months

Enjoyed ROWE while it lasted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Richfield, MN

ProsROWE, fun employees, campus amenities

Conscalling the "help desk" for anything, having work outsourced

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to work, but people matter less and less each year

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsCompensation is decent and while ROWE is "dead" many still allow you to work when and where you need to to get it done.

ConsIt seems that hiring and keeping talented people is no longer a "Renew Blue" priority. Benefits have gone downhill the last couple years. Anyone that was in a position of getting stock was moved into a higher bonus bracket, but there was a 6 month lag.

Great first company to work for

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Duluth, MN

ProsUnder stand processes and work with a variety of managers

ConsRetail schedule wears down employees during the holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more freedom to high performers

Good for now. Long term success of company is questionable.

Geek Squad Covert Agent (Current Employee)
    Richfield, MN

ProsWork from home. Good colleagues. Full benefits package and good pay if you live in an area with a cheap cost of living.

ConsNo advancement opportunities. Bloated and untrained middle management. Silly cost cutting to boost stock at expense of customer service and quality.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop outsourcing repair and dispatch work to third party and overseas companies. Client experience suffers and we lose what made us the best. Train your managers to lead and not just manage. Please spin Geek Squad off rather than let it sink with the rest of the company.

Best Buy is a technology retail company that is in constant change.

General Manager (Former Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsOpportunity to advance. Cutting edge products. Company values as lived. Times when you will get to do things and experience things that no other company has to offer.

ConsDifficult for anyone not used to running a business on a day to day basis. Meaning, at Best Buy its not just about running the store for the monthly budget, its about what can you impact in the next 15 minutes to produce higher performance.

Good

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsVery good working environment . There are opportunities for growth and learning. its also laid back adn demanding at times giving you flexibility

ConsNot much processes in place

Advice to Senior Managementmore recognition

Satisfied so far

Senior Specialist (Current Employee)
    Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe people that I work with on a day-to-day basis are great and I enjoy working with them. I've learned a lot about being a leader, dealing with difficult situations, pushed outside of my comfort zone and communication.

ConsThe pay still is a little less than competitive and we are losing talent to other companies due to this. When reviewing headcount, they often cut a position and not reviewing the talent and keeping the best talent they have. There are so many hoops to jump through just to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay needs to be reviewed as always, but culture and incentives are down in the dumps. The new executive leadership team has not done anything to maintain a positive work environment, nor have they done anything for employee moral. There are so many things that could be done without spending money to retain talent. They need to learn how to motivate better without giving grand speeches that make them look and sound good with no tangible results.

Pleased with corporate environment

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Richfield, MN

ProsGreat corporate campus. Strong finance leadership. Solid focus on career-pathing and strengths-based personal and professional development. Transparency in performance management rhythms & expectations. Building cross-functional relationships is highly encouraged to achieve desired business objectives.

ConsConstantly under-resourced from an IT and human-capital perspective. Communication between corporate and field/store leaders could be stronger. There are many opportunities for greater transparency & alignment on financial metrics that most-effectively drive desired business results.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings in Minnesota — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All 305 reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.