Best Buy

Best Buy Reviews in Morgantown, WV

Updated May 8, 2014

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time(in 163 reviews)

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun. but underpaid

Computer Sales Specialist (Former Employee) Morgantown, WV

ProsThere was an amazingly positive work eviornment there, no drama, awesome supervisors and flexible hours, worked great for a college student like myself.

ConsA large amount of effort has to be put into selling services and attachments, and you are always hounded about keeping your sales numbers up. I'm fine with working hard, but not everyone wants, or can get, a best buy card, not everyone wants or needs geek squad protection. It was more often than not that me and my colleagues would twist the truth to make a sale better, the ones who didn't were usually lower on the spectrum in terms of preformance. Also their sales model is changing instead of having specialized departments all employees need to know everything about the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementReturn to the old sales model, specialization is what attracts people to best buy. Also pay workers a higher wage, when we are making the store 500+ dollars an hour it would be amazing to at least see a bit of our efforts returned.

Great Company Overall

Best Buy Mobile Manager (Current Employee) Morgantown, WV

ProsCareer Growth, Employee Benefits, Fast Paced industry, Fun working environment, convenient locations, flexible scheduling, On the job training, bonus potential.

Consincreased industry competition, job security in retail industry due to economic concerns, high pressure sales enviroment (if you aren't concerned with being a top performer, then you need not apply).

Advice to Senior ManagementDont forget what it's like to be a line level employee. Everyone wants to be successful but you must be realistic in your expectations.

Where have all the mom and pop shops gone?

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Morgantown, WV

ProsThe people who work there, in non-leadership positions, generally tend to be very fun to work with. The employee discount is very good, with most products being sold to employees at only 5% above cost.

ConsThe selling of unnecessary products, services, and "service plans" are forced upon the the sales-floor employees in the guise of giving the "customer" the "the complete solution. Managers do very little besides "sales leading," trying to pump up employees about competing with surrounding Best Buy stores and Best Buy districts, and sitting behind closed doors chatting. Most leadership meetings are held simply for the sake of holding meetings. The hourly employees do all of the hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore management: Start selling on the floor a little more often...walk the walk instead of talking the talk.
    Upper management: Do something more productive, and spread the wealth around the company a little more generously.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!