Best Buy

3.3 5,457 reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,683 ratings)

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights
5,457 Employee Reviews

Like family.

Merchandising Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsIf you're working at the right location, your coworkers will be your family. My GM is one of the most genuine people I've ever met; he treats everyone equally and does absolutely everything that he can to make sure that we are all comfortable and happy in our jobs. He makes an effort to get to know every one of us.
    There are many opportunities for moving up. Not only that, but the managers pay attention to your strengths and weaknesses. They will recommend transferring you to another area of the store if your current position isn't working out for you.
    Starting pay is higher than most other retail areas.
    The opportunity to learn is exceptional here. The e-learnings can be dull, but the actual hands-on information is priceless.
    Employee discount: awesome.

ConsCorporate is a joke. They're glorified paper-pushers. They have no idea what's actually happening in store and try to implement absolutely ridiculous goals that no one can reach, then expect the managers to punish their employees for not meeting those goals. It can be very tense for this reason. Sales structure has the expectations of a commission-based company minus the actual commission. Turnover rates are skyrocketing because of this. Losing a lot of amazing upper management due to budget cuts. E-learnings are often silly and use outdated/misguided information.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpathize with your employees when times are tough, especially your sales team. You're not the only ones going home stressed out.

Mobile Sales Consultant

Mobile Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsTraining and flexibility....and great people

ConsSome employees do not know how to communicate effectively

Advice to Senior Managementmore on the job training

Low pay, but you will learn a lot as long as you apply yourself.

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Edison, NJ

ProsA fun place to work, and could be a career option if you are looking to excel in retail industry. I like the way the company treats its employees and supports them. They have a good pay structure for someone out of high school and working through college.

ConsManagement isn't the best. Some have earned their right to be a manager by experience, but don't have the qualifications from a 4 year institution. A lot of Favoritism in the company also.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire smarter, and pay better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great development on my skill set.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers and good starting pay. I worked here for almost six years and was able to switch departments and get a pay increase without a problem.

ConsBest Buy as a whole constantly went through reconstruction. Some of the best managers and supervisors that I've ever had were laid off left to right.

Hours were based on performance. The number of reward zone and credit card sign ups would correlate with how many hours you got if you're t full-time.

Upper management would often stress about being strict on re-stocking fees(no longer exists) and other return and exchange policies but override in front of customers without reiterating the policy making you as an employee seen like an incompetent jerk.

Great Learning Experience.

Best Buy Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsLots of employee incentives. Ok, employee discount. Management very willing to work with you on scheduling, pay, time - off. etc. Competitive hours. Big opportunities to move up within the company.

ConsYounger immature employees. Kinda feels like high school sometimes. Huge recent employee cut backs, pay cuts, restructure etc. Lower pay, more work.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize Path to Excellence better, as Management issue themselves numerous path to excellence certs just before an employee purchase, oh and a huge GM manual discount on top of that. I thought P2E was more for base level employees? Rather than just a perk for Management to use whenever they want?

Best Buy was an amazing 14 year journey as a Regional Competitive Specialist. My network greatly expanded.

Regional Competitive Specialist (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsAmazing people to work around. Great learning opportunities with this company.

ConsUnfortunately over the past 5 years, the cut backs have allowed them to lose some amazing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs much as I still LOVE Best Buy.. Unless you are a General Manager inside a store, there is no security of a job.

Steady Work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Aurora, CO

ProsManagers are usually willing to work with scheduling conflicts and help ensure employees were happy. Always fun and great benefits with discount and only other benefits if Full Time

ConsHave to be full time to qualify for benefits. Pay not the greatest but still competitive for the job field.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone at this time

A Great Company to grow in.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are a self starter and can quickly adapt to changes, the ability to grow within this company is great. I started as just a seasonal employee while in college, and within my first 12 month was able to work my way up to a supervisor role and continued over my years to advance further within the company.

ConsConstant restructuring makes it hard to stay motivated and leaves employees concerned that their role will be eliminated every year. Also the amount of work and skill our associates are required to have deserves better compensation from entry level employees up.

Great Company to work for.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Hialeah, FL

ProsFlexible schedule. Good co-workers.

ConsLow pay, Work on weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was always nice and cared about the team.

Frontlane Operations Specialist

Prosgreat company, great management, a lot of room to grow within company

Constraining, perks, low compensation for a lot of hours

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!