Best Buy

3.3 5,387 reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,655 ratings)

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 672 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 162 reviews)

• To move to full-time you need to be numbers focused ALL OF THE TIME(in 158 reviews)

5,387 Employee Reviews

Although my manager is moody (the only word that fits), the people I work with make the job great.

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Louisville, KY

Pros- Working with tech on a daily basis
    - Great sales staff
    - Awards program

Cons- Training is terrible
    - SOP is not clear on some of the grey areas, which means that when you do something one way, it can be criticized yet if you do it the opposite way the next time it can also be criticized. The ol' "Catch 22".

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees but don't treat them like children. They don't want to be coddled just respected.

Good Company for a first Job

PCHO Lead (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsLearning how to conduct sales, manage client systems, and perform analysis. This was a perfect first job for someone interested in the field of technology with a sales slant.

ConsOverbearing management, ineffective scheduling, lack of ability to advance in the company.

Home Theater Associate

Home Theater Sales Associate (Former Employee) Waterford, MI

ProsA lot of great people to work with, never ending supply of new technology to learn, had a good discount on merchandise.

ConsVery little upward mobility, they would be willing to let you switch departments and learn more but not willing to let you move up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you value good employees they will work very had as long as you come through on promises made. Stop telling employees if they do certain things they will be promoted. If you can't or won't come through for your employees when they do what you ask of them, they lose a lot of faith in you and the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was, to date, my favorite job.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) Arlington, TX

ProsGreat coworkers. Fun environment. Clear path to promotion. Great compensation. Amazing management. Team culture is really pushed.

ConsCustomers are frequently rude, but that's all places. Employee discount is amazing so you may spend your check where you got it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Good Place to start, Terrible place to stay.

Best Buy Sales Associate (Current Employee) Springfield, VA

ProsIf you're a student, Best Buy will be incredibly flexible with you. That was probably the main perk of working there. The managers vary store by store and district by district so you might have really chill management or really strict. It looks good on your resume and they have decent benefits for full time employees but nothing really for part time. They can pay about $3,000 for school if you're a full time worker and students and it does teach you a lot about sales. You are gonna be become really good friends with your department, really chill atmosphere.

ConsManagement can be very demanding. Pay when I first started was 8.50 and half a year later they start people off with 9.50 and 10.00 and when I ask for a raise they don't give it to me. They tell me I have to wait a full year to go up to 9.50 maybe. The inconsistency with pay was what made me leave. They constantly make you take eLearnings and learn new useless information. Very hard company to move up in, a lot of butt kissing is involved.

Currently a Great Work Envirnment

Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate (Current Employee) Rochester, MN

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity in this location. The leadership is regarded with authority and respected while the employees strive to achieve whatever goals are given to them. Department supervisor is very understanding.

ConsCurrently understaffed making the work load higher per employee. Some of the corperate dictated decisions seem to not fit well with this location.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd recomend taking a little more time to consider what kinds of things you are truely willing to let slide that might be upsetting other employees

Fun place to work!!

Computer Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Buford, GA

ProsI have been working there for about 8 months and I have really enjoyed it!! The location I work at is one of the more highly rated stores. Its big and beautiful. The people I work with are fun, the managers are really down to earth and are always involved. The store really promotes a team work experience and attempts to really draw people together. Especially working as a salesman, you get MANY opportunities for promotions, bonuses, events, contests, and every month you're walking away with store credit, extra cash, or even a new computer or headphones, its always something!! The employee discounts are great, having access to all products in store at manufacture price!! The work force is very organized and energetic, and everyone loves to be there.

ConsWorking in this type of sales puts you in contact with a lot of empty headed, middle aged individuals who approach you with major expectations for some new gadget to they are coming to buy, whether a new comptuer, tv, or cellphone. The people seem very selfish and greedy many times, it makes you want to go give money to an shelter after you finish your shift just to make yourself feel better. The customers understand very little a lot of times about what they are buying, but come in with an attitude as if they know more than you. To sum it up: They understand nothing, they expect everything, and if not given to them how they like it, they give you fire. However, for those who love electronics, it is a joy to work with those occasional customers who actually do have a head on their shoulders and do understand, and can truly appreciate what you have to offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have been disappointed to see the quality of some of the employees that you allow. Work more closely and create tighter reigns in the quality of the workforce, and the numbers will increase.

Great company to develop at

Senior Market Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDevelopment of internal talent.
    Challenging work with fun products.
    Great 401k, time off and health benefits for full time employees.
    World class short term bonus system, even for part time employees.

ConsThe company is very leadership top heavy making innovation hard. New employee training at the store level is weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop creating so many competing priorities for people to go after. Continue the investment in development of employees and creating a fun workplace.

Fulfilling while it lasted

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe associates are the best part about working at Best Buy, I've met amazing people and made great friendships. The employee discount is awesome.

ConsI've worked at a few stores and the leadership at every store isn't always its best. You have to deal with unfair leadership at certain stores.

Able to build a big network with a lot of opportunity to grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is a fun place to work. You will enjoy meeting your new co-workers and their families. The employee discount is something that you love, you get huge discount on most of the items in the store.

ConsIts a very hard work-life balance, but that also depends on you who your GM is. The company values are something that most managers and employees live by. One of my favorites is "Have fun while being the best"

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!