Best Buy Reviews

5,749 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,836 Ratings

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Inventory and Merchandising

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a fairly simple job with lots of work to keep you busy. Employee discounts and compensation with bonuses are great. Good benefits with medical, dental and 401k and plenty of vacation and paid time off.

Cons

Big con is you can only make so much money. Your salary caps out at a certain point and you can no longer receive raises. There is also very little room for advancement to supervisor or manager to increase that salary.

My advice to management would be to contribute to your team. Do not just stand around with a clipboard or binder and oversee the employees. Just because you are management does not mean you cannot help a customer.

Good company, good pay, the person you work for, makes all the difference

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Good pay, good recognition in the industry, good company values. Most of Best Buy management supports things that an employee needs; development, work/life balance, etc.

Cons

Many things are being managed and decided upon by 'committee' now, with input from people who know nothing about the things they are deciding on. In an attempt for further cost cutting, they continue to let go of dedicated, hard working, long-term talent. If the companies most hard working folks are leaving, what does that say about a company?

Employee retention and development, are the key elements to the strength on any company

Ample Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (ARA)  in  Utica, MI
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (ARA) in Utica, MI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

This company is built on having the best employee experience and developing leadership. They take employee privacy seriously.

Cons

Nothing to my knowledge from a company stand point, just annoying customers, but you will get that anywhere.

Keep doing what you do, cut down on costs, and you will dominate the market.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Company

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant  in  Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training, caring environment, easy to move up

Cons

days off are rarely approves

Great opportunity to learn about new technology and assist people in purchases.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Awesome toys to test and play with.

Cons

Hours. Hours are bad. You work every weekend no matter what and your fairs of ate based on a part time associates availability.

Improve hours and communication on what the job entails.

Best Buy can be fun but sometimes very stessful

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

The ability to have different options rather then just one specific product or brand. Discount is awesome. Peers are very laid back.

Cons

Black Fridays at Best Buy are nightmares. Shift can range from 8 hours to 20+ hours. leadership need to improve.

Great culture and compensation

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are great! The discount is amazing! The company values are timeless!

Cons

Redundancy makes it tough to get things done. People are allowed to opt in or out of initiatives.

Prioritize and enable value added change

Not too shabby

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Allison Park, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allison Park, PA

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

A fun environment, management was always nice

Cons

The money isn't great unless you advance passed sales
    the hours can be a little grueling at times.

Work on the scheduling process a little
    sometimes its just too much

Good transitional job

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was hired right out of college for a position within Best Buy. Pretty basic interview questions nothing too major since they knew upfront this wasn't a lifetime career kind of job for me. I have more pro's than con's to say about Best Buy honestly. It's a great company to work for if you realize you're not going to be working your dream job. But hey, maybe selling electronics is your dream so I can't judge. EASY work, but don't get that misunderstood with un-challenging work. Dealing with customers is what makes or breaks your day. Some are fantastic people and others make you want to hide in the hub, but that's retail. As for my store I do enjoy working there. It is my part-time job so I went in thinking the managers would treat me like a nobody since my other job requires more of my time than here. All of the managers know my name and will strike up conversation when every they walk by, not just the typical sales conversations but really in depth conversations about how I'm adjusting to life out of college and what I hope to do with my degree. The biggest pro of working for Best Buy will be the employees, and not to mention the discount.

Cons

Retail hours, forget about two days off in a row, and standing for up to 11 hours a day. You may get your break you may not just depends on how busy your store is but that's life. What one manager tells you is completely different that the next so you are stuck picking between which one to listen to. Your front end leaders will think they manage more than the store manager. You use a digital time clock and just about the time you get used to using the current system don't worry, they will completely change the format.

When you are talking over the radio for someone to help a customer and we all are already helping customers why can you not at least greet the customer to let them know we will help them when we are done with our current customer. Management seems to try and avoid helping customers outside of their management duties. When two managers are standing talking to each other and a customer is asking for help who will not get help because the department is busy and they see the two managers not helping 90% of the time they will leave. A simple greet would stop this. Also, for the love of everything holy in this mortal world promote from within. Nothing makes an entire department put their two weeks in like when you hire someone from the outside for the SWAT job instead of promoting a warehouse employee.

Developing a marketable skill set

Current Employee - Demand Forecast Analyst  in  Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Demand Forecast Analyst in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Challenging work environment
    Engaged coworkers and diverse business team
    Ability to make a difference within the assigned business category with regard to the industry
    Strong focus on building a well-rounded skill set
    Training is in-depth

Cons

The systems are difficult to grasp, takes a large amount of time to understand the quirks of the business category
    There is a sense of favoritism towards other members of the business team
    Compensation was not negotiable
    While a diverse skill set is encouraged, business category knowledge is lost when moved to newer category

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!