Best Buy Reviews

3.4
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,940 Ratings

Pros
  • Great Benefit with the employee discount in the stores (in 780 reviews)

• Great discount plan (yes not as good as it used to be (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work / life balance as a manager (in 217 reviews)

• Not a lot of full time openings (in 199 reviews)

8,214 Employee Reviews

Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have an amazing team that worked with me every step of the way! The manager hired really great people. During the holidays I received a large pay check! Best Buy's employee discount is great.

Cons

The demographic I work in is very difficult to work with. Customers are deciding between buying food or a cell phone. It is hard to make the sale with them. They are usually "just looking" or only come during sales.

Advice to Management

Please understand how hard it is to sell to people who do not have money. Turning a "just looking" customer into a big sale is hard.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Sales in Fort Smith, AR
    Current Employee - Sales in Fort Smith, AR

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best buy put a lot of time into training and they really care about their employees

Cons

Nothing bad really. It can be overwhelming at times if you don't know what you're doing, but that's retail in general. I enjoy a fast paced environment though, so it doesn't bother me.

Advice to Management

Service attachment goals can be unrealistic, especially during slow months. But I know the managers don't decide what they are. My managers are awesome, So I say keep up the good work!

3. Appliances

Former Employee - Appliance Sales
    Former Employee - Appliance Sales

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Awesome job, really takes care of employees. Really work around school schedule, and other personal agendas.

Cons

Not to much to really complain about, could always use a little more pay. In reality got paid very generously for the work that was done

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Doing a real good job creating and maintaining an environment that is easy to work in.

Great Place

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

A few of the best reasons to work there include great co workers and management. Helping customers really gives you a great feeling.

Cons

The only con could be that you are on your feet most of the day but there's nothing wrong with that as it's part of the job.

Advice to Management

The place I worked at had very attentive management and they were willing to work with employees to create a great working environment.

6. Not that bad

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Representative in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Representative in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Best Buy (Less than a year)

Pros

As far as part time jobs goes best buy wasn't nearly as bad as I expected retail sales to be. I learned a lot and the training they gave us was outstanding.

Cons

Rev goals are hard to keep up with if you work low traffic shifts, but you always usually have the ability to hit. Selling $300-600 of stuff every hour isn't close to impossible

Advice to Management

More one on one time with employees , and relax a little bit this isn't their life time goal in most cases this is just a stepping stone .

7. Inventory Specialist

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting so many different cultures or and backgrounds is one of the best reasons for me. I love to learn about peoples backgrounds and stories. Working with so many different people as well when it comes to co-workers. Learning about different companies and their products.

Cons

During the summer so many people are hired but half of them or even more then half quit or get fired. Most people to start out in best buy usually don't last because its not always a permanant job to keep. Also a lot of students apply and get hired because of the flexibility with best buy.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your co-workers a little more. As a sales associate in best buy it gets really busy in the evening because that's when everyone is getting out of work. Sometimes there's managers who see that a sales associate is busy but they wont do much. Only a few help around and stay around. Also if there is an employee that's not performing well please talk to them about it. Don't tell someone else about it. Also don't talk about that employee that's not performing well to another manager while there's another employee around. First thing that's going to run around their mind is this is how mangement speaks about their employees ? very unprofessional !

8. Great Place to Work

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

I personally enjoy talking to people and helping them. This job takes me enthusiasm for computers and electronics and lets me use that as my toolset to help. Lots of people to rely on for help and assistance unlike a lot of other jobs. Employees Ive worked with are genuinely happy with the job and we can joke around while still getting work done. Its not labor heavy either, no running around sweating and stuff. Fun events like pizza parties and bowling events with the whole store sometimes. Lots of fun. Plus, summer Olympics is fun too. You really feel the companionship.

Cons

Long, consecutive shifts can be tiring especially when there short on people. Recognition can sometimes be missed

Advice to Management

What I have seen, in my store is really great. Take time to listen to each other and even the lower employees get there point in and it really feels like a team.

9. It is a great company with awesome flexibility for students

Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Mira Loma, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Mira Loma, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement Employee discount Company frequently creates positions for growth and promotes from within the company. Company values diversity and individuality You can have tattoos and work there

Cons

Need more hours for employees No longer does store parties functions bbq events Poor scheduling results in associates not able to take their breaks

Advice to Management

Schedule more associates

10. a job for driven individuals

Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay good discounts good benefits knowledgeable coaching alot of possibilities for advancement

Cons

long hours they watch your numbers like what you sell alot they make you keep track of your numbers they try to drive a commission based approach to selling without giving you any real incentive to selling (meaning they are pushy about you getting your numbers up, but if you sell more or better you still get paid the same)

Advice to Management

if you are knowledgeable about the products and services of bestbuy drive every associate to be as knowledgeable as you

11. Fast-Paced and Fun

Current Employee - Lifestyles Sales Consultant in Woodbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Lifestyles Sales Consultant in Woodbury, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products, good values, comprehensive benefits, interactive (PAID) trainings, growth opportunity, company sponsored events and outings. Love my team and my store!

Cons

Disjointed communication between departments, stores, branches, and corporate. Sales pressure can kill morale if you're not careful or if you let it get to you too much.

Advice to Management

Recognize and appreciate your team and they will bring you success along with their loyalty. Make sure everyone is on the same page and that the trainings are being implemented to their full extent. Morale, morale, morale, and the sales will follow.

Showing 8,214 of 8,267 reviews