Best Buy Reviews

3.4
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,940 Ratings

Pros
  • Great Benefit with the employee discount in the stores (in 780 reviews)

• Great discount plan (yes not as good as it used to be (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work / life balance as a manager (in 217 reviews)

• Not a lot of full time openings (in 199 reviews)

8,214 Employee Reviews

1. A great place to grow and learn!

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Home Theater Professional in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Home Theater Professional in Leesburg, VA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

You build strong friendships with all co-workers and feel a real sense of accomplishment when we work as a team to bring an excellent experience to all of our customers. Even though Best Buy is a large organization, I feel very independent and everyone encourages individuality and bringing our own unique experiences to the table. There are areas to grow and always learn something new about technology and even yourself. There are opportunities all over the store to learn new skills and information regarding product. The pay is above average and my relationship with management has allowed flexible times for me to work when I come home for breaks from school. Best Buy is the ideal place for me.

Cons

Sometimes it does feel that Best Buy takes up a lot of personal time when I am not working, for instance a customer I may have been working with would like to meet with me on a day that I was not scheduled, or someone may have called out and we need a replacement as soon as possible. If you cannot educate or even deal with certain customer issues or complaints, the job may not suit a person as well. Organization and following up with customer concerns is a must, others do not like to have to always fix or adjust careless mistakes from other employees. Management can seem tough at some times, but they really just have to make sure they get their points across and help the store run more efficiently. A huge drawback (like most retail) is the lack of time off around Thanksgiving and Winter holidays.

Advice to Management

Maybe focus on the individual a little bit more and give more recognition to certain associates to go above and beyond a simple job description. Dedicating and striving to provide the customers with what they need and want is a very demanding task and reminding associates of a "job well done" is a real moral booster.

Best Buy: the place to work!

Current Employee - Space Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Space Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Great culture! Results-Only-Work-Environment: They focus more on results rather than on face-time in the office. Most employees receive laptops so they can do their work away from the office, if needed. You are not constantly watched to see if you are working for your whole entire shift; they just trust you to get your work done. Great amenities at Corporate: At corporate, they have a fitness center, dry cleaning, car maintenance, two Caribou Coffee locations, cafeteria, U.S. Bank, video games, pool table, child care, and grocery delivery. Great strong and lived-out values: Best Buy's values are (1) Have fun while being the best, (2) Learn from challenge and change, (3) Show respect, humility, and integrity, and (4) Unleash the power of our people. They are great, grounded values that you can see lived out by even the CEO. These values instill a great, fun culture among all employees. Great employee discount on products: Best Buy offers a very steep discount on its products which is a big incentive for many individuals.

Cons

Some other large companies may offer a slightly higher starting base salary: When looking at other companies' offers, I may have been able to receive a higher base salary pay, but looking at all the other factors of working at Best Buy, the small pay discrepancy was not a big deal. I do believe they are comparable to other companies in their industry, other companies such as Target. The only other downside I can think of is the location. I have not met many people that live super close to Corporate, but luckily they have a carpooling program that is used by a number of employees to save on the gas consumption.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to retail. They are at the front-lines. Continue to be open to innovation and practice servant leadership. Servant leadership is a tactic that has worked time and time again in many companies and through the course of time.

3. If you are a hard worker who wants to work retail [and loves technology], Best Buy is your place.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Compared to the world of retail jobs, Best Buy tries to hide this and make it seem like a job of much higher status. This presentation that Best Buy displays to new employees empowers you to work in a more respectable manner rather than you thinking that you have a lesser-status job. Next, they do not throw you into the battlefield immediately, they make all employees work one month without the blue shirt in order to be trained on and off the store floor. You don't have to know a whole lot about technology to get a job at Best Buy, overtime you are trained to learn about the products that are sold and how they benefit the customer's needs. The discount is unrivaled to any electronics and\or department store. I can't provide the details on it due to confidential issues, but it is generous.

Cons

Once you are fully trained, you are expected to make sales like a machine. Getting management to notice your great sales is overshadowed by any time you don't perform as well. If we we're commission based in some way, it would truely make efforts to sell products more worth it. You also have to constantly track your sales on a sheet, which gets very tedious and actually hinders you from making more sales. Most of the time it doesn't even seem like management has time to look at those sales tracking sheets anyway. Overall though, if you plan to work retail, Best Buy still shines over your other options.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower employees to do their jobs, and do give more recognition. If some employees don't have much to be recognized, start focusing on them and see where they can go. Try to recognize as many employees as possible, even for smaller sales.

5. Best Buy is a great place to have fun while being the best!

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Westfield, IN
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Westfield, IN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

It is a fun place to work, you get to meet great, cool people, the pay is not bad for the work, and the employee discount is amaizing. They are like my second family. As an example, my store is really laid back and will host fun games. Such include going outside and playing football before the store opens on Sundays. We have a softball team which play's other Best Buys around the city. All the departments try to help each other out and we all try to succeed while having fun. Managers don't harp on us for not selling a certain number of things and we all approach our success in qualitative terms.

Cons

It can be a little stressful if you don't know what you are doing and the rules and systems of Best Buy can make it really confusing. Certain customer service issues are the worst as customers always think we screw them over or blame us for their product not working and request we fix it for free, even when it is only under a manufacturer's warrenty. Also, we try to get so many things at once in terms of metrics for the store. On each sale (think computer sales for this example) we need to get not only the proper product, but any accessories, Geek Squad services, appropriate software, service plans, branded payments (Best Buy Credit Card), Reward Zone, and anything else to make sure the customer is getting as much benefit as possible out of their experience. Trying to balance getting all these things on each customer without being longwinded and seeming like you are forcing them into a deal is a bit hard to do.

Advice to Management

Please try and hire managers and expecially store managers that are intelligent, respectable, and honest. Our store has gone through too much drama with the hiring and firing of managers for reasons that are really stupid (meaning the people are so obviously corrupt). Also, please please please invest more money in streamlining and consolidating computer systems/programs. Our POS and even more so ETK/Green Screen/STAR (expecially STAR!!!) are outdated, badly designed, buggy and slow. We would save so much money, time, and frustration if our systems were consolidated and built right. Get more of the people who program Geek Squad tools (MRI and Customizer guys) to take over all the other systems in the store.

6. Best Buy - A great place to work.

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Skokie, IL

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The benefits are excellent, and the team is wonderful to work with.

Cons

Retail is not the best place for a career if you are going to have a family.

Advice to Management

Take the advice and suggestions of employees.

7. Best Buy. One of Fortune Top 50 Companies.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

I enjoy working at best Buy because of the Friendly work environment. Best Buy is the type of company that accepts anyone rather its through Disability, Handicapped, Sexual Preferences and so on. Through out the years while working for Best buy, I have seen people come and go, But everytime a new employee is hired, there is always something differnt about them, and thats what I like about this Employer.

Cons

There really are'nt any downsides with working for Best Buy. Every Company has there Flaw, but Best Buy is the type of Company to where you come and, do what you have to do, but at the smae time have fun, and you want have any Downsides with working for the Company.

Advice to Management

Fairness Is the key to Running any Corporate Establishment thats not your Own. Favortism is whats going to Lead your employees to turn against you, because they feel as If that they have no one that they can go to.....

8. A great job with interesting benefits, but not without its flaws.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Lees Summit, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Lees Summit, MO

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

5% Overcost Employee Discount, Great Accommodations from partners like Apple, Bose, Shure, and ATI to name a few, Management is very practical and flexible, time and labor management (like days off) are a lot easier to deal with, meetings are short, sweet, and to the point, and you get properly and effectively trained.

Cons

They keep a close watch on your sales, are hesitant when you ask for a non-lunch break, push branded payments a bit, supervisors can be real idiots, and closing duties can take up to two hours after the store has closed.

Advice to Management

Continually maintain one-on-ones with your employees, continue to be flexible, and make sure to take the opinions or feedback of employee's over corporate BS

9. thousands of possibilities...at best buy!

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Awsome and fun work enviornment. Great opportunities to advacne your career, and have fun while being the best. where else can you get paid to work with the coolest gadgets and toys and get paid to do it.

Cons

None, I love working with customers to satisfy their needs and wants. It does get very busy at times but you have to manage your time with customers and satisfy their needs in a timely maner.

Advice to Management

More recognition and more competitive salary perks for part time employees. And tuition assistance program to eligable part time employees.

10. Best Buy is the BEST company I have every worked for!!

Current Employee - Non-Commissioned Sales in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Non-Commissioned Sales in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Best Buy is a really fun and exciting company to work for. One of the things I enjoy most about working for Best Buy is that I get to see all the latest and greatest technology. What could be more fun than seeing all the newest and coolest toys available? Best Buy is also a family oriented company. They take a good interest in your well being and the well being of your family. I also feel like my fellow employees are like family. We take care of each other no matter what the need. Best Buy is also a FUN company to work for. I have never had more fun at a job in my life. While we are very competitive with each other and the customer is always our number one focus we know how to have fun at the same time.

Cons

I personally don't have any downsides to working for Best Buy. I absolutely love every aspect of the company. Some downsides others may not like are: 1. Amount of time that you are required to commit to or work during the holidays. During the holidays it's crazy at Best Buy. The stores are always busy from open to close. While I enjoy the chaos of the holidays, some find it stressful and overwhelming. Customers can be very demanding and are always in a hurry during the holidays. 2. If you plan on Best Buy being your career the company expects you to make them your number one priority. If they need you to work late, you will. If some one calls in and they need you to come in and work on your day off, you will. Some employees find the work schedule of full-time or higher to be too demanding. Me, I have no life so I have nothing better to do :) Plus if you are asked to come in or work late that means overtime!!

Advice to Management

Sometimes in some stores managers can be so focused on certain things that hard work can go unrecognized.

11. Great first job

Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

is fun and you meet a lot of people. its especially cool if you are young and its your first job because at least it isnt fast food

Cons

there is a lot to learn

Advice to Management

communicate a little bit more with employees on changes

Showing 8,214 of 8,267 reviews