Best Buy Reviews

5,641 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,780 Ratings

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Not worth the money!

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good stock rewards, good discount on accessories, great cell phone service discount, great salary

Cons

ZERO TRAINING!!! They offer you a good salary, promise you a great career and then offer no assistance to you. The districts are ran like frat's it's all about who is best friends with the district staff. That includes your management staff, so if they feel that they should have been given the position over you they will start complaints about you. Sadly credible evidence does not matter, nor does proof of hearsay. They will fire you for nothing if it suits you, unfortunately in a right to work state there is no legal recourse.

This is a terrible place to work from day one, you sign your paperwork and they send you to your store. They do not show you how to even log into the system much less anything else. I have in my 22 years of retail been treated the way I was there, nor have I seen upper management cuss on the salesfloor to associates in front of customers. Customers service is awful here and they treat their customers like garbage. Hands down the worst company that I have been involved with.

Stop running the place like a Frat house and run it like a professional business or you will find your future much like that of Circuit City.

Sure hope those exec's enjoy the fruits of our labor....

Current Employee - Asset Protection
    Current Employee - Asset Protection

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Adaptable schedule to school. Discount is pretty decent... but nothing that couldn't be beaten with some savvy shopping.

Cons

Low, substandard, non-livable Pay. Toxic work environment. Inconsistent labor practices. Inability or lack of desire to retain quality employees.

Lets try treating your employees with a little respect and dignity. Don't nickle and dime pay "increases" when supervisors and management brag about pulling 50-60k a year. I understand that BBY is a business... buy BBY earned 42 BILLION dollars last year... but you cant seem to pay a living wage, or invest in your companies IT (ironic huh?) or physical security and surveillance in your company. There is a reason why 95 percent of your hourly employees cannot wait to quit.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Best Buy Customer Sales Associate  in  Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Best Buy Customer Sales Associate in Falls Church, VA

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

the discount, coworkers were great

Cons

Mangers that are very selfish, Annoying angry customers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst management ever!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and great employee discount,

Cons

Too much pressure on selling. Very disorganized management.

Needs to appreciate employee.

Too much pressure.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discount. The people can be fun to work with. Some of the customers can be fun too. They also have a good team work atmosphere.

Cons

The management pressures employees to sell protection plans. If, you don't sell a desirable amount, they will have you show up on weekends to take sales classes. They even have random checks to make sure you're doing everything you can to make a sale.Eventually, they will cut your hours if you're not meeting sales quotas.

Take it easy on employees who aren't big sellers. Some times the customer just doesn't want to pay for an extra protection plan.

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

NONE! Yeah, after 11 years I was making over 80k a year. Unfortunately, having to work 7 days a week 12 hour days really sucks!

Cons

Hours
    Pay
    Work/Life Balance= None
    Restructure every year! Always chop out the higher paid employees......regardless of performance. In my tenure I saw employees who lived and breathed BBY Blue lose there positions.
    Holidays suck big time. Always forced to work 6-7 days from Thanksgiving to Xmas.

Get rid of all the people who are getting paid six figures who add no value what so ever! The line level employees who make 8-10 bucks an hour need hours! No one who has any sales skills what so ever want to work at BBY. Corporate is so out of whack with the reality of whats happening in the stores. CLUELESS!!! Bring Hubert Joly in to work Thanksgiving....all day till the next day!

A representation of adults that never left high school

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The discount on products is the only good reason to work here. Although from time to time the company changes it and it seems to become worse and worse.

Cons

The managers are barely adults and seem to encourage an environment that promotes high school drama.

Grow Up!

Worst company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  East Northport, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Northport, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount isn't too bad

Cons

The company doesn't care about the sales people. They only care about the numbers b

Treat your staff like you treat your customers!!

Hell on Earth

Former Employee - Technology Education Agent  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Education Agent in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount, awesome co-workers, you learn new things everyday, hands on with the newest gadgets

Cons

Upper management has favoritism and you can't voice your opinions. You always had to play by Best Buy politics.

Value your employees, because that's the only reason why you're getting paid to sit on your butt.

Retail Joke

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Counter-Operations Agent (COA)  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Counter-Operations Agent (COA) in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No position in the store is diffacult to do task wise.

Cons

Mismanaged, poorly run. Every 6 months a new plan comes out the goes against the previous plan. Company is full of cronism and who knows who. Claims to support a corprate philosphy then goes against it at every moment. Management does nothing to support rank and file. Stores are understaffed on purpose so management bonuses. company promotes team bonuses so only certain individules pull the weight while others collect checks for being lazy layabouts. Pay is sub standard for level of stress and work placed on employees. With the removal of supervisor spots the low chance of moving up became just impossable.

Take a pay cut and pay your rank and file emploees more. Have more checks on store leadership that isn't per anounced and make it easier to get rid of poor empoyees.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!