Best Buy Reviews

7,244 Reviews
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,551 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

1. Not enough managers

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

Nice people, good comradary. fun times

Cons

not enough technical traing, we were expected to be experts. The pay was too low for the job we were doing. Also not enough managers

Advice to Management

spend less on frills, more employees.

2. good experience, very poor company to work for

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Best Buy (More than a year)

Pros

I got a lot of good experience in sales, customer service and goals. Literally only real pro from working here was the employee discount.

Cons

There is absolutely no moving up unless you move out and get experience elsewhere first. The GMs don't see you as a person but as a machine and its very rare to find a GM that actually cares about you. Its a very numbers driven company if you meet your goals you need to do better if your not meeting your goals they expect you'll be gone soon.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that understand people, my manager, who was great with people was fired for someone who could point out every mistake and and always let you know your not good enough.

3. Cashier

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

No Pro's they are so bossy

Cons

Always pushing credit cards which was annoying.

Advice to Management

You guys need to stop micro-managing everything

5. worst place

Former Employee - PC Sales Associate in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - PC Sales Associate in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

great employees to work with, being next tot he latest technology is an awesome bonus

Cons

no room for growth, forced me to work full time but would not give me benefits, worked a 19 hour shift on thanksgiving with one break only!

Advice to Management

improve your work environment and your incentive to sell these additional features to customers.

6. Best Buy will let go of years worth of talent to pay some one less to do the same job. No job security.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Reliable pay check, free shirt, climate controlled.

Cons

No job security. Pay is minimal. Bad training. Stressful goals.

Advice to Management

I have seen many friends lose their jobs in the reconstruction so they can pay new people less. I have been in the same full time spot for ten years no one invested in my growth.

7. Best Buy? Really?

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

On some stuff their prices are pretty good.

Cons

Most items they carry can be bought online for less. Is it REALLY the best buy?

8. Was strong when I started now a bunch of idiots are given power and they are losing focus and the integrity that is gs

Current Employee - Technician for Geek Squad in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technician for Geek Squad in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The discount and the experienced techs I can really call my co workers and friends.

Cons

Geek squad leadership is going to the bad side with several people in positions of power that should never be in that spot to begin with from previous "issues"

Advice to Management

Hire the true leaders this company needs and not people that went from theif to chief literally!!!
    I know our main GS agent would not approve of this

9. Waste of time

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, New products to look at all the time, nice coworkers

Cons

Horrible leadership, The management rarely took interest in their employee's career goals, unreliable POS and Inventory systems, Horrible store layout

Advice to Management

Fire the higher ups

10. Not worth your time.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Joplin, MO

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

you learn alot. theres nothing good about this company, im sorry. unless youre 16 and need candy money. dont work here

Cons

poor pay
    company is cheap
    company going downhill
    no leadership

Advice to Management

invest more in the team, not your pockets. we work to hard to only get paid peanuts. respect us the ..worker

11. Really not worth the hard work they demand

Former Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pros to working at Best Buy are the friends you can make while there and the employee discount on accessory items.

Cons

Management doesn't care about you. They really don't try to hide how expendable they think you are as a line level employee. They also don't make an effort to care about your breaks or any time off when they can show up late or spend two hours on lunch. I worked on the phones while I was there, and when we had someone from out department quit, we were both stuck working 10am-8(or 9)pm shifts three days a week without any breaks or back up. Corporate is always cutting hours and their "competitive pay" is a joke. They rather hire on a kid just out of high school for a lower hourly pay rate than give seasoned employees a reason to stick around. The policies are always changing so no one, not even management, ever knows what's going on which causes a lot of customer upsets that you have to take the brunt of. No one is ever willing to step off of the sales floor to help the one cashier ring out a line of 10-20 customers, but with the way management treats sales and numbers (for non-commissioned employees), I don't blame them wanting to stay in their departments. They recently changed their scheduling policy to releasing the schedule only four days before the following week, and you can't have any time off between mid-november to february. There are rarely any opportunities to grow within the company, especially if you aren't willing to be a suck-up for it and they generally only give out 20 cent annual raises. Management is a joke and they tend to be incredibly unprofessional (gross jokes and drinking with line level employees).

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they deserve to be treated - with respect. They're the reason you're still in business because they're the ones going on the floor and selling to customers everyday.