Best Buy

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,322 ratings)

4,750 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of"
    in 585 reviews
  • "Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with"
    in 100 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare"
    in 133 reviews
  • "Difficult to obtain full-time position; schedules are made up to avoid risk of overtime"
    in 137 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

You know

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

ProsEasy place to work, good fun people

ConsUpper Management never gets corrected for wrong decisions... Lack of leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementActually have your DM's control their stores, and not let the GM's get away with anything they want

A company with a losing approach and sad outlook

Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate (Former Employee)
East Hanover, NJ

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of your coworkers become your friends.

ConsManagement is horrid. If you like working hard for unfair wages, and having clueless managers breathing down your neck constantly, then this is the job for you. I worked at Best Buy for 3 years, and every year was worse then the last. It doesn't matter how many sales you make management will always find something to complain about. Write ups and sit downs are a constant in the daily life of a Best Buy employee. Moral is constantly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour salespeople are the life force of your business. Instead of degrading them, and treating grown men and women like children, reward them for their performance. You are stuck in the ways of the past by putting fear into employees. Become a 21st century proactive company with different practices and attitudes that rub off on the employees. Some of you don't even deserve a managerial title, because you don't know what that means. You will fold as a company because your methods are antiquated.

dollars, dollars, dollars

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Best Buy

ProsI enjoyed the pay and my co-workers.

ConsThis job comes with a lot of stress and its all about the dollars and cents. Not about the employee experience (even though they keep emphasising employee experience).

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to take care of their employees and their families.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The worst place ever. Commission base makes more money!

Appliance Specialist (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Best Buy full-time for less than a year

ProsThe only thing good about it is the employee Discount on accessories and geek squad protection. Good place for someone in high school with little experience and use to being hall patrolled, not a 25 year sales veteran looking for stress free job close to home.

ConsManagement hall patrol the sales associates making it a difficult work environment. Pushed sales to every one that walked thru the doors but give terrible customer service when there is a problem after the sale. Hourly pay, would of made 3 times more than hourly if I was on commission..

Advice to Senior ManagementDaily and monthly Sales number should tell you who to keep an eye on. Promote managers with leadership qualities.

Watching a ship sink.

Best Buy Mobile Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is ok once you pass the line level associates. Supervisors make anywhere inbetween 15-25 dollars an hour depending on what department you supervise. Mobile and Geek Squad being the highest. Discount is awesome.

ConsNo work-life balance. I've had vacations I've planned for and requested off for cancelled infront of my eyes due to new company operating model. If you request off good luck getting it accepted in the first place. They talk about all the vacation and absence time they give you but HIGHLY frown upon using it. I've seen serious HR abuses at multiple locations, when someone is disliked they are quickly cut down for any reason possible. I've had multiple GM's tell me if they want someone gone "they will find a way". This is retail hell. Run away from this company, run as far as you can. DO MORE WITH LESS IS THE COMPANY MOTTO.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive your company values, you talk about them all the time but no one follows them. Quit firing people and bowing to wall street pressures. I saw my store comp down 2% YOY, and they cut management from 9 to 5 people. Not only did they cut them, they knew who they were gonna cut for two months and my GM told his favorite manager who was staying and going. This manager went around being super coy and vague to all the mangers he didn't like about how he wasn't sure if they had a job. Scaring them into quitting so they wouldn't have to pay severance.

Don't even think about applying for seasonal employment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Best Buy

ProsCompensation is horrible. Overworked for very little pay.

ConsManager was as lost as most seasonal employees.
Huge lack of communication.
Pay was horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider informing new hires that

Inconsistent

Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

ProsGood Discount, lots of oppurtunities for growth and relocation.

ConsManagement does not care about the employees, which is the reason for a high turnover percentage. Pay is terrible, the amount of skill and knowledge required to perform at a reasonable level is insane. $9.50 an hour cannot be justified, the amount of sheer work that goes into some of these cell phone activations is ridiculous, I have spent more than 6 hours with customers for one activation, the managers in the store have no idea how to do it themselves, which make the mobile employees even more valuable. I made more money washing dishes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and they will take care of the customer.

Every man/woman for yourself

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Springfield, OR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoy helping customers find what they need without having to make a second trip.

ConsThe company acts like they care about other things than attaching their protection plans, but in reality if you work there you'll realize the truth. I've even heard supervisors tell employees it's ok to sell the customer a cheaper product (even if it doesn't fit their needs), so they can afford the extended "warranty." If you have morals, I would work elsewhere.

Love the people there , but very unappreciated for what I do, feel used.

Mobile Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Tampa, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are great both employees and majority of the managers. Discount is great but only when you can afford to buy stuff. Diverse people from different places around the world.

ConsHours suck , they show appreciation for eemployes that kiss up and don't do much work. Bi-lingual eemployes get used and receive no appreciation for being able to speak a second language when most the customers speak that language. Pay is the worst compared to what other eemployes are getting. Been there almost 3 years and only 18cent raise yet everyone around is getting paid at least 3 dollars more. Pay is not far. They only give a raise to eemployes whom threaten to leave and get another job yet the people whom are loyal eemployes they treat them like dirt. HR is not help with any concern that one may have. This company's pay scale is the worst. If this really was a actual scale they scale would not be balanced.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlmost 3 years working there and no recognition for what is done , below 9.50 an hour and still work hard and always stay long hours. As management there are eemployes that need to be recognized for what they do and not who's butt they kiss. With out no recognition all the good eemployes will leave all ready lost 5 good eemployes in my store and many all ready looking to leave. Recognition is key and I don't mean a cup or a pin or P2E points, there are many of us that have bills to pay and less then 300 dollar checks are not good for some one to pay rent car Insurance cellphone gas or any other expenses that are needed. Especially as some one whom is bilingual to get paid what I am getting compared to some other eemployes whom don't work as hard and can only speak to English customers this is not right at all. Especially I have just won a presidents club award .... another pin that Best Buy spent 25cents on. This company only values eemployes who act like they work and take other eemployes sales and kiss there managers butt. My job title does not say to kiss anyone's butt and be a brown noser. I am here to work and have fun. But not getting what I deserve is not fun. Hopefully this gets read and can escalate to many stores. Or it may be just like I hear all the managers say when there is a problem " I Will Address It " and nothing happens. Mister CEO or any manager who reads this ask yourself can you live with at least 600 a month. ? This is not right and this is sad how you treat the eemployes that plan to stay but yet give lots to people whom threaten the managers to leave. You guys need to respect and recognize the employees that are there to stay. If this comes back as an unapproved or no opinion from the CEO that just shows how much this company cares.

It's all a downward spiral

Best Buy Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

ProsThe discount is alright, looks good on the resume, get trained well, can sometimes work with really interesting people.

ConsAnytime employee discount is used they're taxed extremely highly on the purchase which is taken out of their paycheck.
The company is completely centered around their extended warranties, and accessories, other than that there is really no motivation to sell anything else.
They've changed the bonus system to be more difficult to achieve, there are completely unrealistic goals set for employees to sell, which are seldom achieved, but the entire sales group has to hit this "goal" which is more of a quota in order to bonus. Which as a side note, when huge things come out like the superbowl or iphone, ipad or any other garbage that gets people into the store, they're not looking at anything else, hurting revenue in other departments, it's more of a roll on the slot machine, trying to get all 7's.
Shipping always seems to be losing something or another, and it gets counted against the store, and each department, there is no reason you should have anything beyond you or your peers control count against you. I.E. if 12000 dollars worth of merchandise is missing from the shipment, that counts as stolen from the store, on the watch of the department, which in the end determines the budget for the future.
They offer other benefits as well through purchase programs and awards programs, but anything through bestbuy but you have to be very careful as an employee because if not you can get a good part of your check off in taxes.
It's retail, so the environment is centered around the customers, which involves often taking alot of nonsense, but it's very rare that managers or supervisors get involved, most of the time the responsibility goes to the associate to actually deal with customer issues, which wouldn't be a problem if they wouldn't continuously reiterate these "goals" from a chair in a back while you're being barraged by some person who allegedly bought sometime a week ago from an associate that never worked there while 5-6 other people are floating through the section your maintaining and another 2-3 are waiting around drilling holes into your back with their eyes annoyed that you're the only person around. This happens actually pretty (but i don't think it's isolated it's a cultural problem, i've been to other bestbuys and i watch same thing happens), which managers have the people to schedule, but not the budget to do so because of one reason or another.
An employee could literally make thousands of dollars a month, and receive nothing but their managers/supervisors favor, and their name in a weekly email.
It's a stressful job, and other employees may not see it the same as i do especially managers and supervisors because they've already been through this and have gone through all sorts of things with the company, but there exists a problem with the company, whether you see it as one big one, or a bunch of small ones.

Advice to Senior Managementthe job is stressful, and the only real promise is paycheck, and a pretty small one at that. The job exists because we [the associates] make it exist, which in turn makes your jobs exist. There may be thousands of other lined outside for our job, but maybe if you invested more in the people that work for you, you would see a more positive return.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All 4,750 reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.