Best Buy

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,337 ratings)

4,781 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of"
    in 585 reviews
  • "Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with"
    in 100 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare"
    in 133 reviews
  • "Difficult to obtain full-time position; schedules are made up to avoid risk of overtime"
    in 137 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Supervisor

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat team to work for

ConsCorporate layoffs and it is owned by share holders

Hired, but forgotten?

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

ProsPros? I did not notice anything positive about this experience. They promised nice discounts and benefits as well as a good schedule.

ConsI was hired on as a seasonal employee, the process took about 1 month from putting inn the application. Afterwards 2 weeks passed before they scheduled orientation. After that my calls to HR went unanswered and to my knowledge none ever tired to get in contact with me to have me start working. I think they over hired and had a very inexperienced HR manager at the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow though with the hiring process and don't ignore people. I filled out paperwork, went to orientation and showed up several times to figure out why no one would talk to me about the job I was hired to do.

You know

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

ProsEasy place to work, good fun people

ConsUpper Management never gets corrected for wrong decisions... Lack of leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementActually have your DM's control their stores, and not let the GM's get away with anything they want

A company with a losing approach and sad outlook

Magnolia Home Theater Sales Associate (Former Employee)
East Hanover, NJ

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of your coworkers become your friends.

ConsManagement is horrid. If you like working hard for unfair wages, and having clueless managers breathing down your neck constantly, then this is the job for you. I worked at Best Buy for 3 years, and every year was worse then the last. It doesn't matter how many sales you make management will always find something to complain about. Write ups and sit downs are a constant in the daily life of a Best Buy employee. Moral is constantly low.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour salespeople are the life force of your business. Instead of degrading them, and treating grown men and women like children, reward them for their performance. You are stuck in the ways of the past by putting fear into employees. Become a 21st century proactive company with different practices and attitudes that rub off on the employees. Some of you don't even deserve a managerial title, because you don't know what that means. You will fold as a company because your methods are antiquated.

dollars, dollars, dollars

I worked at Best Buy

ProsI enjoyed the pay and my co-workers.

ConsThis job comes with a lot of stress and its all about the dollars and cents. Not about the employee experience (even though they keep emphasising employee experience).

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management needs to take care of their employees and their families.

The worst place ever. Commission base makes more money!

Appliance Specialist (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Best Buy full-time for less than a year

ProsThe only thing good about it is the employee Discount on accessories and geek squad protection. Good place for someone in high school with little experience and use to being hall patrolled, not a 25 year sales veteran looking for stress free job close to home.

ConsManagement hall patrol the sales associates making it a difficult work environment. Pushed sales to every one that walked thru the doors but give terrible customer service when there is a problem after the sale. Hourly pay, would of made 3 times more than hourly if I was on commission..

Advice to Senior ManagementDaily and monthly Sales number should tell you who to keep an eye on. Promote managers with leadership qualities.

Watching a ship sink.

Best Buy Mobile Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is ok once you pass the line level associates. Supervisors make anywhere inbetween 15-25 dollars an hour depending on what department you supervise. Mobile and Geek Squad being the highest. Discount is awesome.

ConsNo work-life balance. I've had vacations I've planned for and requested off for cancelled infront of my eyes due to new company operating model. If you request off good luck getting it accepted in the first place. They talk about all the vacation and absence time they give you but HIGHLY frown upon using it. I've seen serious HR abuses at multiple locations, when someone is disliked they are quickly cut down for any reason possible. I've had multiple GM's tell me if they want someone gone "they will find a way". This is retail hell. Run away from this company, run as far as you can. DO MORE WITH LESS IS THE COMPANY MOTTO.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive your company values, you talk about them all the time but no one follows them. Quit firing people and bowing to wall street pressures. I saw my store comp down 2% YOY, and they cut management from 9 to 5 people. Not only did they cut them, they knew who they were gonna cut for two months and my GM told his favorite manager who was staying and going. This manager went around being super coy and vague to all the mangers he didn't like about how he wasn't sure if they had a job. Scaring them into quitting so they wouldn't have to pay severance.

Don't even think about applying for seasonal employment.

I worked at Best Buy

ProsCompensation is horrible. Overworked for very little pay.

ConsManager was as lost as most seasonal employees.
Huge lack of communication.
Pay was horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider informing new hires that

Inconsistent

Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Orlando, FL

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

ProsGood Discount, lots of oppurtunities for growth and relocation.

ConsManagement does not care about the employees, which is the reason for a high turnover percentage. Pay is terrible, the amount of skill and knowledge required to perform at a reasonable level is insane. $9.50 an hour cannot be justified, the amount of sheer work that goes into some of these cell phone activations is ridiculous, I have spent more than 6 hours with customers for one activation, the managers in the store have no idea how to do it themselves, which make the mobile employees even more valuable. I made more money washing dishes.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees and they will take care of the customer.

Every man/woman for yourself

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)
Springfield, OR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

ProsI enjoy helping customers find what they need without having to make a second trip.

ConsThe company acts like they care about other things than attaching their protection plans, but in reality if you work there you'll realize the truth. I've even heard supervisors tell employees it's ok to sell the customer a cheaper product (even if it doesn't fit their needs), so they can afford the extended "warranty." If you have morals, I would work elsewhere.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All 4,781 reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.