Best Buy

3.3 5,370 reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,650 ratings)

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 672 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 162 reviews)

• To move to full-time you need to be numbers focused ALL OF THE TIME(in 158 reviews)

5,370 Employee Reviews

On the decline

Corporate (Current Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsFairly well compensated, flexible hours, in house workout facility, great cafeteria, good location, coffee shops aplenty, ability to work from a number of different locations, employee discount

ConsLack of unique vision from leadership, lack of leadership domain/ industry knowledge, lack of career tracks in IT, cost cutting measures over innovation (what innovation?!), ungodly amount of process in simple things like basic invoice process and procurement, lack of trust of employees to do the right thing, overreaching leadership

Not sure about latest changes

ProsDepending on your position, you may have a good work life balance, such as hourly employees. If you are in a great area, and have great immediate management, your world will be great.

ConsManagers have to accept very difficult and constantly changing working conditions, as far as work hours, poor work life balance, unrealistic demands, etc. There is a huge amount of the buddy system going on, resulting in qualified people being passed over for promotions while the hiring manager's friend is rewarded for their loyalty. Protection of people who should be sent packing, while quality people are targeted.

Advice to Senior ManagementHorrible decision to open on Thanksgiving. Just horrible. Please be an industry leader and close on Thanksgiving.

Not worth it.

Sales Expert (Former Employee) Roseville, MI

ProsGreat associates made good friends. Parties thrown by the company. Free food on holidays. Double time and a half paid when working on holidays (Full Time employee's only)

ConsPushed to hard for the pay given. Upper management only cared about them selves was denied promotion in a store closer to my home because the location I was at said I was to valuable to them to leave. Treated like commission sales and non is given. Impossible to hit budget in departments because it is raised to an unreachable amount. You are pushed to offer best buy credit cards to customers if non are sold you will be written up when there is no incentive to offer them. I worked there full time because the company struggles I was given less then 37 hours a week was forced to take vacation time to fill the gaps to reach 40 even. The company all around is poor with how they treat their employee's. They make you use dossiers to write all information used between you and the guest to be written down if not written instant write up these were the biggest waste of time no one liked them because they did not help drive business.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiscuss with your team and take consideration in what is said by the employees. Make the store worth working for do not push to hard because eventually you will lose your best associates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Their own worst enemy

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood employee discounts, Cool merchandise and nice stores.

Conszero payroll to serve customers, making the biggest advantage they have customer service and knowledgeable staff non-existent. They are Amazons and Costco's best customer producer.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've always said your biggest differentiator is your knowledgeable staff, but you've eliminated all of them, Your stores are no longer merchandised to any standard and your movement has made the highest quality associates look and find other work. No job security has left you high and dry.

Was once a fantastic company to work for.....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscompensation is good...highest paying in the business

ConsSince the new leadership has taken over they have tried to save themselves to solvency. Their strategy is to eliminate the highest compensated employees. I hope that for the sake of many of my friends who still work there that they do succeed in the long run. I believe the only way they will is to start to sell margin rich product and stop with the flea market mentality they now have with vendors renting out space.

Formerly a great employer however however after about 2009 the company took a turn for the worst

Geek Squad, Autotech (Current Employee) DeKalb, IL

ProsYou learn a lot about technology , and some of the discounts are pretty cool. The company is always trying to retool its business model.

Conshours and pay was not what i would expect, not always a clear path or possibility to advance in the company. the company is constantly changing the business and sales model so once you get familiar with one model you have to completely forget it and learn a new one (every 6 or so months)

Best Buy May Not Survive

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsHad a great team of co-workers until this second company restructuring in April & May 2014

ConsWith the second Best Buy company restructuring this past April & May, loyal, well trained employees on store and district level were fired.. causing staff morale to hit rock bottom.. and more part time long term employees left the "sinking ship". Now, most hired are part time with even lower pay, no trained store managers or supervisors to train new employees.. customers often leave angry because new employees have no idea what they are talking about.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop having company restructuring every two years and laying off your best employees.. train, value and promote loyal employees, keep a close eye on asset protection.. too much is going out front and back door costing the company thousands. For God's sake... get trained managers in there to train all these new part time employees so they can do their jobs effectively and not walk around not knowing what to do! Stop hiring store general managers who have NOT been properly trained to do his/her job. It causes a negative domino effect. MORALE is at an ALL TIME LOW at most stores!!! We all talk to each other!!
    Wake up and do something to make it better!! Otherwise you will continue to loose more employees to retail big box companies who actually care! Everyone is saying Best Buy is quickly going the way of "Circuit City"... do all you can to keep www.amazon.com from killing Best Buy in sales every Thanksgiving-Christmas holiday season! Best Buy can't afford to go through a 3rd year of having Amazon kick us in sales & service!!

Tragedy at Best...

Home Theater Sales Associate (Current Employee) Hiram, GA

ProsLearning about all the new technology.
    Paid holidays.
    Four weeks of Sick/Personal Time.
    Ability to work overtime, if needed.

ConsBest Buy went to high pressure sales goals without proper incentive. (Commission Sales without the commission)

Pay Scale - No matter how good in sales you are, you make the same. A person can sell $1000/month or $150000/month. Best Buy only allows you to make up to $12/hr as a full-time sales. Also, most merit increases are less than a quarter per year.

Most associates seem stressed and are highly pressured to hit numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBest Buy needs to do a refocus on their employees. If they make their employees happy in turn the employees will make the customers happy which will increase sales. If not, Best Buy will turn into Circuit City.

Horrible experience

ProsTalking to friends, meeting new people

ConsToo much work required and does not pay enough. do not let you sit for a minute.

poor treatment of employees

Planner (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosthere is not much good about this place other than the hard working employees that have been here for a while

ConsPoor management, and really bad managers, weekly layoffs to get around reporting downsizing staff

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!