Best Buy Reviews

5,780 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,848 Ratings

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Company crossed the line and proved they have no value or integrity.

Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist  in  Greenfield, WI
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Greenfield, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Taught me the value of customer interaction and how not to treat my employees. Although this comes from a very negative experience, it is something I look back on many years later.

Cons

Store operations and management do not value their employees and treat them as disposable. They do not value their customers and would rather lie and cheat them to edge out a few extra cents. My story comes from a situation in which a customer wished to purchase a computer. As helpful as I could be, the service plan was just not in the budget for the customer. I was instructed by my department manager to inform the customer that the computer was not in stock and drop the sale. Reluctantly I did something I promised I would never do again and turned the customer away. The customer walked around the isles and found the computer new and in a box on the top shelf of an isle and demanded that we sell it to them. Upset with myself, I agreed to sell the computer to the customer and helped them out to the car. When I returned the General Manager was waiting for me and informed me that if I sold another one of them without a service plan he would have no choice but to let me go. To this day I still have several "customer service" awards from Best Buy and was proud of my accomplishments. I couldn't believe he would threaten me for doing the right thing. I looked at my manager and apologized, handed my name badge in and walked out of the store to never return.

Employee retention and development, are the key elements to the strength on any company.

Abysmal

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate  in  Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Frisco, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good coworkers. That's about it.

Cons

Horrifically managed, poor working environment. Managers and supervisors alike will use you as scapegoats to escape any criticism on their part. There are too many useless 'performance reviews' that do not actually help the employees. It's more of an intimidation tactic. I was told to either bring up my "numbers" or I would be fired. I loathed going to work here everyday so much I developed clinical depression.

You need to re-work your entire employee structure. Too little management, and too many responsibilities for poorly paid sales associates.

The Blue Crew is indeed blue...if you mean depressing.

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Counter-Operations Agent (COA)  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Counter-Operations Agent (COA) in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Overall, I liked a lot of the hourly employees that I worked with throughout my 5 years with Best Buy. Originally, it was a super fun place to work. The whole store had a team mentality, was in close competition with other stores, and every day was fun.

Cons

This company does not value it's employees. Like many corporations, it treats it's employees like they are disposable. Have car issues and you're late? FIRED. Have medical issues and hospital visits causing you to miss work? FIRED. Have child care issues? FIRED. But, don't do your job and have multiple write-ups for performance. NO BIGGIE, NOT FIRED. The amount of training and knowledge that a person has does not factor in to what kind of employee you're thought of. They want robots, not people. They even teach out how to make small talk with people. As if someone needs to be taught how to do that. They motivate through fear tactics. It's really no wonder this company has not done well over the past few years. The pay diminished and they are constantly restructuring and losing very valuable employees to hire new, younger, cheaper labor. This is a dead end job, with little chance for advancement. It took me 4 years of very hard work and dozens of interviews to get promoted to full-time, only to shortly afterward get dinged for being 5 minutes late. When I was "let go", they may as well have been sitting there watching my clock-on time. I got a flat-tire on my way to work, and still made it to work, but clocked in exactly 5 minutes late. I was promptly taken to the admin office and they cut a check for me on the spot and sent me walking out the door.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"this job does not teach you anything about electronics"

I worked at Best Buy part-time

Pros

No pros. Except the good people you work with

Cons

Managers expect you to take on the duties of other departments without considering giving you a raise. As a cashier, you would have to work in customer service, handle orders and reconcile cash drawers all at a pay rate of $8.50/hr

Great job but they don't care about there employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Flowood, MS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Flowood, MS

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

I like best buy because of the team they have and also its a great place to work in interact with customers

Cons

I been a best buy for 1yr and 3 months..I was suppose to receive a raise at my 1yr mark and 2 months have passed in still no raise..every time I ask my manager she say they're working on it but I haven't seen changing numbers takeso long..its ridiculous...they always calling for me to come in and help when their short but still haven't solved my raise issue also wen u contact hr they r no help...BEST BUY doesn't value their employees..as long as the managers are getting there salary pay they don't care about any one else..I have another job but I promised my manager I would still stay there because I no they are short staffed but I'm to the point were I about to walk away from best buy bcuz clearly they don't care about me so y should I care about them!!

Start acting like they appreciate their team

Asset Protection is a joke

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

I do not believe this job had any pros.

Cons

Literally everything you could think of

Hard Work for a dying company

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

product training and knowledge, time off policies

Cons

bad managers, bad company, no room for growth

get new managers, treat your employees better

Operations Supervisor

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The ability to train people in an ever-changing environment. You have the opportunity to work with different types of consumers every day.

Cons

Although your max hours are supposed to be 40 per week, you will be expected to work beyond your schedule to make up for management's shortcomings.

Allow your people to get their work finished during the time you've scheduled them.

Chasing their tails

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The vibe and camaraderie on the sales floor is fantastic.

Cons

Shrinking labor budgets cause dissatisfied customers due to lack of coverage. Work life balance is horrible. With current in store leadership structure, good luck using any time off.

The CEO is not worth his compensation package. Add another in store manager. You cut the leadership too thin, you are going to burn out the good leaders.

Multi-unit Promotions double standard

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

If you're friends with HR director, you're in! There are some that don't need to interview to get a role, while others continue to apply with no response.

Cons

If you're not in with the in crowd, don't even bother. There are people getting roles without even applying. (I.E DM position in Utah).

If you can catch her between vacations, you should check to see if she's doing any actual work.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!