Best Buy Reviews

3.4
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,941 Ratings

Pros
  • Great Benefit with the employee discount in the stores (in 780 reviews)

• Great discount plan (yes not as good as it used to be (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much of a work / life balance as a manager (in 217 reviews)

• Not a lot of full time openings (in 199 reviews)

8,233 Employee Reviews

You must dig down deep to find fulfillment with this jobs!

Former Employee - Digital Imaging Sales Associate in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Digital Imaging Sales Associate in Bend, OR

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

I love technology and it was easy for me to sell cameras to people! Your usually there to provide insight to customers who are not aware of tech and I have a gift to make it understandable.

Cons

For one your never compensated for what you sell. I outsold every single salesman yet there is no way to track numbers! They need to offer incentives for sales people because they are the ones doing the sales not the managers. Also management demands you to shove the protection plan down the throat of each customer. Yet if you get 95% success rate with protection plans you do not get rewarded! The manager does! This is backward business and it is complete BS. Best Buy stresses that the employees are not on commission so the "customer" does not feel rushed! This is complete BS because every manager is on commission. It looks good on paper now but wait in 5 years when you have a bunch of stoner's and drugy's who will only take the shady $10 an hour job.

Advice to Management

You need to give incentives to the sales people so they feel like they are being a part of something and being rewarded for adding accessories or adding the service plan. The sales person is what reflects the image of Best Buy and the only way to improve on this is keep good care of your front end people!

2. Geek Squad

Current Employee - CIA in Santa Maria, CA
    Current Employee - CIA in Santa Maria, CA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

If you are lucky, you will find a coworker with useful knowledge to pass on.

Cons

Pay, best buy, uniform, best buy, advancement, best buy, ...

Advice to Management

try harder

Awful

Current Employee - Geek Squad-CIA in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - Geek Squad-CIA in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Looks pretty good on resume because the company is so widely recognized.

Cons

Really awful management, they really need to listen to employees when they make complaints about management.

Advice to Management

Actually work when they are there and shove responsibilities off on everyone else

Like the electronics, hate the company

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

can see and test the latest electronics and games. meet some cool people. chicks dig gadget knowledge. can buy stuff with no problems and no waiting.

Cons

trying to push warranties and other crap products onto people who really do not need them. Really, what is the point of the magazines? we are an electronics store, not a bookstore. Stupid management always trying to screw the customers. The extended warranty is a joke and no one in their right mind should ever buy them. complete rip-off

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on magazines and warranties, they just irritate the workers and the customers.

Good money and discounts, but NOT WORTH IT!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The Discount and the friends I work with.

Cons

Management is worse than anywhere I've ever been. They are INSANE.

Advice to Management

They need to have new management, or a set rules for all of Best Buy. Senior Management is able to create rules and apply them to specific people, which is VERY wrong.

If you are a brick in the wall Best Buy is the place for you!

Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Elizabethtown, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Manager in Elizabethtown, KY

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

I would recommend BBY for people in school who want to learn a little about business, execution of strategies, and have no desire to advance unless they are female.

Cons

Common sense is in short supply. Don't look for leadership from the general managers. While not totally at fault they are not connected or engaged in the stores. Most of the GMs are off on Sundays and Mondays with district meetings several times per month. As a result of the dis-connect they often play the role of "albatross managers" by flying into the stores, dumping, collecting a paycheck then taking off again. With respect to senior level management the decision to inflate Geek Squad numbers to Wall Street by inboarding is a short-term answer to current economic environment and only forcing additional erosion of precious gross margin dollars. One of the BBY values of "Grow through challenge and change" is grossly over-utilized for the sake of show changes on a score card. The addition of new tool kit on the intranet is a classic example of change for the sake of change as opposed to change for growth.

Advice to Management

Take a look at turnover, it's broke! What exactly are the benefits of employee resource groups other than broadcasting personal agendas?

I would not advise working in BB HQ unless you know people who presently work there.

Current Employee - Information Technology in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

They allow for a flexible schedule

Cons

very clicky, and political, better know the right people and hope they like you. Very much who you know and how well your liked rather than what you know. Very incompetent managers.

Advice to Management

Be fair and learn some skills

Geek Squad - It's bad!

Current Employee - Agent in Oakdale, MN
    Current Employee - Agent in Oakdale, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

You do get an opportunity to learn quite a bit about doing repairs to hardware as well as removing viruses but most of that is quite basic. All challenging problems get sent out to the service center. You can also get tons of experience working with irritated customers as sadly they come in irritated far more often than not. The pace of work is usually pretty fast and challenging when there's customers coming in and you're trying to get to all of them at once so you're rarely bored. I can't think of anything else good to say about my job at Geek Squad.

Cons

Oh let me list the things! First of all, say goodbye to your social life because they never give you a consistent schedule. You never know your schedule more than a week ahead of time so it's impossible to make plans because you never know when you'll be off. Also from my experience the managers within Geek Squad are all horrible. My first manager got arrested for stealing from the store and now my next manager acts like a dictator of a country, he thinks he's encouraging but really he's just annoying all of us to death. Expect a bad manager. Also when you first start, don't expect more than 1 day of training even though their system and rules and such require a lot more learning than they think it does.

Advice to Management

Hire better Managers and give more training

10. Good Discounts, Horrible Job

Current Employee - Media Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Media Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The discount is amazing. Items can be purchased at the wholesale cost + 5%. A lot of items can come out to be 30-50% off. The work environment is somewhat organized which works out okay compared to a small store, which can be very unorganized. The staff is fun to work with (not including supervisors and managers).

Cons

I am scheduled to do plenty of close-open shifts that have less than 8 hours between shifts. The pay is way to low for the amount of responsibility given. Management could care less about your personal life and will deny all time requests off and availability changes. The job is not commission based. Sales begin to lose meaning to lower employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to respect the needs of the employee.

11. Awesome job if it weren't for management

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

I work on the geek squad, and the starting pay is pretty good, quite a bit above minimum wage. That is, however, the only plus to this position.

Cons

Best buy is a corporate monster, it does not care about electronics, and it definitely doesn't care about computers. If you're some one who's passionate about computer repair, this is probably not the place for you. They take the excitement out of repair and make it a mindless task a ten-year-old could do. Everything is automated, and if it takes more brain power than an assembly line robot would need, we're told to ship it out, or restore it. This all leads to your supervisor most likely being some one with a high school degree, who doesn't know any more about computers than your grandma.

Advice to Management

Try to learn about the products your subordinates are selling. If you're a manager at geek squad, you may think that your job is only promoting sales, but no one will respect you if you don't try to learn their trade, and you won't be able to be fully in control if you don't even completely know what's going on.

Showing 8,233 of 8,285 reviews