Best Buy

3.3 5,448 reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

(1,677 ratings)

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights
5,448 Employee Reviews

Not the best place I've worked

Computer Senior (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsI loved my team members

ConsIt was all about the numbers. Management would tell you to hit a number and not help show you how to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your employees become better instead of just demanding they hit a number.

Not Great

ProsPays well but not worth it

ConsTreats their employees badly, unfair

Terrible store, Worse than car salesmen , terrible management

Supervisor (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsAbsolutely NOTHING at ALL , ITS like a flea market

ConsEVERYTHING.Poor management, Scams , Fake Employees

Advice to Senior Managementabsolutely not

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Company is doomed!

Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsIt used to be a really great place to work. Now there are really no redeeming qualities unless you just need a job to pay the bills and continue to look for another job.

ConsThere is no work life balance. You are often told last minute of a required schedule change. The district and territory staff is awful! It's just about politics! There is a huge disconnect between words and actions....such as "we value employees" and open earlier and earlier on thanksgiving and eliminating management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust close the doors already!

poor leadership

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Cincinnati, MO

Prostime off, trains great leaders

ConsTreated like dirt and do not respect how hard everyone is working

Advice to Senior Managementstop the insanity

Data Architecture Mgr

Architecture Manager (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsReputable Minnesota Company in cool retail industry

ConsChaotic, way too many contractors and offshore folks at the corporate office. IT department is a total disarray and dysfunctional. Low employee morale and lower than average market pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore pay, benefits and employees for IT. Contracting to third parties isn't the silver bullet, hiring right employee and treating them with good pay & benefits along with respecting work/life balance are the better ways to build for future.

Best Buy will continue to struggle because it fails to provide quality service as it can not retain quality employees.

Lead Mobile Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsWorking at a large electronics store has its benefits as you are able to experience the latest consumer technology as it hits the shelves.

ConsLacking in competitive compensation results in quick turn over, very little applicable training for the new employees, thus poor and inexperienced service. Knowledgeable individuals should look closely at compensation packages of competitors before turning Best Buy into a stepping stone in their career history.

Advice to Senior ManagementMust find a solution to offer competitive prices without sacrificing knowledgeable employees due to a lacking competitive compensation. There is also no effort to make the retail schedule more consistent thus bearable for employees.

Horrible.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe employee discount is awesome. One of the only reasons I'm still working there.

ConsThey don't appreciate the right people, only if you can play politics. Most of management has no backbone. We have a return policy for no reason. Corporate has made it so we have skeleton coverage at any given time so if you work in a service position, there are a lot of days when you don't get breaks. Because Best Buys never heard of cross-training. Oh they like to say it but it never happens. Once they have managers getting paid too much they do a restructure and eliminate half the higher paid store level positions, and change the remaining ones to lower pay grades. They don't care about their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYeah.. Right.

On the decline

Corporate (Current Employee) Richfield, MN

ProsFairly well compensated, flexible hours, in house workout facility, great cafeteria, good location, coffee shops aplenty, ability to work from a number of different locations, employee discount

ConsLack of unique vision from leadership, lack of leadership domain/ industry knowledge, lack of career tracks in IT, cost cutting measures over innovation (what innovation?!), ungodly amount of process in simple things like basic invoice process and procurement, lack of trust of employees to do the right thing, overreaching leadership

Not sure about latest changes

ProsDepending on your position, you may have a good work life balance, such as hourly employees. If you are in a great area, and have great immediate management, your world will be great.

ConsManagers have to accept very difficult and constantly changing working conditions, as far as work hours, poor work life balance, unrealistic demands, etc. There is a huge amount of the buddy system going on, resulting in qualified people being passed over for promotions while the hiring manager's friend is rewarded for their loyalty. Protection of people who should be sent packing, while quality people are targeted.

Advice to Senior ManagementHorrible decision to open on Thanksgiving. Just horrible. Please be an industry leader and close on Thanksgiving.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!