Best Buy Reviews

7,051 Reviews
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,475 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

1. Terrible Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Okemos, MI

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Made some life long friends

Cons

No loyalty, will get thrown under the bus, indecent relationships within the store. GM fired a week before black friday

Show some loyalty, be a little more flexible with your team

2. An OK job

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Not hard, some physical labor.

Cons

Mostly other employees who mess up orders and dont care because their part is done. Management is poor and company waste money.

Fire bad managers not the ones who keep the store running when rev. brackets change. More incentives for inv,merch,operations.

3. its gone down hill

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

if you like products that are carried you will like discount

Cons

leadership is hiding in offices most of the day. am told me that i would never be a leader in front of gm but yet they come to me to fix issues

5. Bad management team that played favorites. Empty promises and false hope for promotion.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The discount. Some friendly Co workers.

Cons

Not enough pay for work. Management paired favorites.

Don't go out with Co workers and promote only your friends. This isn't high school it's suppose to be a job.

6. The Customer is always right

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, awesome benefits, cool tech. Opportunities for stock options, opportunities to move up. Potential for munthy bonuses. Chances to earn extra stuff.

Cons

It might not be the same everywhere, but where I was working, it seemed as if Best Buy didn't care about its employees. The don't care if you are sick, if the roads are icy. They change your schedule without telling you, don't listen to your availability, and aren't generally welcoming to new emplyees.

Listen to the emplyees more. I have worked for BB for over 6 months now, and still feel like I have to prove myself daily. I still feel like an outsider. I have seen coworkers point at me and laugh. My bosses glare at me most times I see them.

7. A good company with lamentable store leadership.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Missoula, MT

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly decent benefits if your work full time. (Discount, 401k, Health/Dental/Vision, etc.)

Cons

Company values of being 'impartial salespeople' doesn't go hand in hand with revenue performance goals. Store leadership will leverage this against you during internal applications and annual revues. Even if you follow all the proper sales behaviors. Sales floor culture has shifted to a more competitive sales environment with each other despite being non-commissioned sales. Employees bonuses are still only given for store-level performance year-over-year rather then individual or department based.

Tenured employees need more incentive and focus on developing their careers with progress measured. Store management needs way more accountability. It comes up ever year in employee surveys for a reason. One district manager is not enough for all the store leadership in an entire region!

8. Worst place ever

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

This company won't be around in 5 years so at least I won't be working here indefinitely.

Cons

Pretty much everything.

How about you actually train your employees and get more than a high school education for yourself

9. This company made me feel awful about myself

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

- Employee Discounts - Knowledge of electronics - Fast paced - Video games!!

Cons

It seems like there is lack of respect of the work place. Customers sometimes can give you a hard time and make you hate your job. Employees like to gossip and sometimes management has poor leadership.

Listen to your employees and respect them so they can respect you. Yes its our job whatever our positions are. But dont take this job TOO seriously. When we hire employees we should show them why we should work here and make a positive outlook. Do not ever blame employees or call them out even if its theirs. We should make them feel comfortable when they are working so they can strive better. Support them and build nuturing and professional relationships so the company can grow into something customers will look forward to shopping to.

10. Worst Job I Have Ever Had

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

It was an easy job to get.

Cons

Getting a job there is as simple as acting professional and saying you know ANYTHING about ANYTHING technology related. Like, say you know about cameras. Talk about cameras. Or computers. Or televisions. Or home audio.

The downside:
    It is, hands down, the worst job I have ever had in my entire life. Everyone is a giant tool to you that's above you--including the people in your department that are just assistant supervisors and literally make the same as what you make. You'll do the worst job in your department, which seriously might be standing in front of Printers.

Then, you'll constantly be harassed to sell terrible geeksquad services, which are to "help" the consumer, and the terrible warranty. One day I sold, no joke, eleven thousand dollars of computer, monitor, and printer equipment, and I got reamed out for not selling more warranties.

Further, they treat the seasonal employees like crap. I wasn't one, but they constantly walked all over them and strung them along on some vague promise of future employment, then fired everyone after the season.

I know the following also may not apply to your stores, but I was also personally yelled at by people I didn't know, for things I didn't do. Like "not helping to unload the truck" when I wasn't even there the time in question and "always looking sarcastic." Looking sarcastic? Really?

11. Big Box GREED,

Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Pittsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Associate in Pittsfield, MA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Great employee discounts on most items especially accessories and Insignia brand products. Harmen Karden and other brands will surprise you with half off employee discounts as well. Computers, Flat screens and game consoles do not offer much of a discount.

Cons

Store is totally numbers driven. Employees where headsets where management is always giving number stats and what is needed to end their day in a bonus. No real benefits like health until you have given a full year of full time service. Bonuses are said to be given but I have not gotten any yet. "There is always a reason for that" Customer interests are not put first they really press on "branded payments" pushing their credit card and soaking a customer for everything they can. Even if a customer does not need a product or service they are put into a position to make them think they should spend their money anyway. I see a lot of pressure sales. Unbelievable amount of customer dissatisfaction. This company will probably see a major decline in stock market value unless they change how the customer is treated and look at their greed factor "at least at this store".

Treat your employees and customers with more respect. Pass up a bonus or two and take a lesson in humanity we are not walking dollar sighs : (
    Inbound phone calls are mostly with dissatisfied customers. I feel like I run the complaint department.