Best Buy

6,194 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,069 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

Crap store

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA)
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA)

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Discount discount and discount discount the only reason to work there is for a discount

Cons

Hours management customers management

Not happen.

High Pressure Sales is the new Best Buy

Former Employee - Computing Sales Associate in Monroeville, PA
    Former Employee - Computing Sales Associate in Monroeville, PA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot of technology and features I didn't otherwise have an opportunity to learn hands on. Most of the co-workers are very friendly and helpful. Got to help people learn about their technology. If you live at home and need an extra hundred bucks a week for a few months, go for it. Anyone else should avoid working here.

Cons

Management has no clear direction, favoritism exists, hours are reduced as punishment if sales goals are not met! Constantly changing product locations, constantly out of stock of advertised items, constantly incorrectly priced items, missing price tags. Lots of people are lied to about services like Geek Squad and what it covers. So many times I heard "If anything at all happens we'll cover it." from other employees which is simply not true. These lies stem from the ever increasing pressure of making every sale bigger or risk losing your hours.

Management takes credit for positive feedback, blames negative feedback on employees. Stores can't seem to keep functional displays, ignores requests from employees to have displays and cash registers replaced/fixed. Claims to be the largest global electronic retailer and pinches pennies when it comes to paying employees.

This is a high pressure sales job, do not let them lie to you. They will talk during the interview about being customer oriented and wanting to help people, but its all about attaching as much as possible to every sale. Every customer should buy a Macbook, 3 years of protection plans, an iPod, and a new router, or you're not selling hard enough. At least that's how they see it.

Morning meetings before the store opened were nothing but how last year on this date the store made $X , so today you must make $Y or BEST BUY WILL GO OUT OF BUSINESS! This also wasted time the store could use to prepare to open, ensure that all products are tagged and stocked, and that all displays are functional. They'll claim they aren't trying to scare you into pushing more sales and services, but will consistently say "if we want to still have a store to work in..."

Numbers are the only concern. Not customer satisfaction, not getting people what they need, its only how much you can milk them for.

I used to like Best Buy but the direction its going in now is turning into a high pressure commission style sales job, without the commission perks. It is turning into Walmart with pushy salespeople.

Hire managers that are involved with running the store day to day and assisting customers. Only a single manager in the entire store actually worked in their department on a regular basis, the others generally either could never be found, or hid behind locked doors, chatting with each other. Completely unprofessional and embarrassing. Take a serious look at who wants your company to succeed, who actually cares about the people coming into the store, and look at the reports they give you objectively, not just numbers. Try actually paying attention to the stores and their managers. I've had many customers complain to me about how other Best Buys were run, and that they were trying the one I worked at to see if it was better. That is a symptom of a growing problem in my opinion.

Would not recommend working for this company (Mobile Sales)

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

(Mobile Sales) It's hard for me to think of positive things regarding this company and store. Having friendly coworkers was probably the best part of working for Best Buy. Oh, and the employee discount - really nice if you buy a lot of electronics.

Cons

- Pay is not even remotely competitive. Mobile Sales starts at $9-$10/hr, with no commission - compared to Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, or Apple all starting at $12-$13/hr + commission. Unfortunately Best Buy requires it's Mobile team to know all the tech info and plans for all carriers, but expects to pay them 30% less for more work than a carrier store. Mobile is also expected to perform tech support on phones, despite it being Geek Squad's duty (which can lead to 2-hour long phone calls with carrier's customer support).

- Despite being non-commission, everything in sales is ran as if it was. Scheduling, promotions, and zoning is all based on sales numbers and "upselling" the customer, not on customer satisfaction. Expect daily "check-in & check-out" meetings w/ management to discuss your sales and how to improve them.

- Management is terrible. Applied for full time, was told by GM that I need to apply for part time, but with the promise of between 30-40 hrs/week regardless (specifically with opportunity for full time position within 60 days). After 90 days, I can tell you that never happened (and confirmed that GM has told MANY other new hires the same thing). Several weeks I was scheduled for 40/hrs, but no mention of full time employment. Soon hours dropped from 38, to 26, to 16, and most recently, 4 (FOUR) hours in a week! I'm not sure if anyone can afford to work only 4 hours a week.

- Expect inconsistent scheduling, odd hours, and no time off requests. Best Buy has initiated a "4-day out" scheduling practice, which is exactly what it sounds like. No 2-week schedules during the holidays - schedules are written for 4 days out at a time, with management also reminding us that time off requests for 2 or more days would be denied.

- Was called in on days off because "they had LITERALLY no employees to work Mobile" several times only to find out Mobile was staffed, they just needed "extra coverage" in other zones. I'm happy to come in if you really need me, but please don't lie about it.

- It's not stated in the interview, but be prepared for a 4-day long sales training in another state if hired. I commuted to Kansas City, and it took 2 months to receive the compensation for travel expenses/mileage that I paid out of pocket.

- Attendance policy is not the greatest. You have 3 "attendance violations", a 4th is probation, and with #5 you're fired. It sounds decent - but then you realize that whether you've got a flat tire (and miss work entirely) or if you clock in 5 minutes late, they both count as the same violations. Violations are erased 6 months after the most recent write-up, so you need to go half the year without being late/sick to get your absences excused.

Don't make promises you can't keep - hiring someone on with the promise of 30 to 40 hours a week and subsequently cutting their hours to 1/10th of that is a sure fire way to increase turnover. Also, please consider more competitive pay for Mobile - 30% less pay than the competition for over 3X the work just isn't fair to us.

Soon to be out of business

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is really the only thing

Cons

Bad management all around
    No order
    No structure
    Won't pay you correctly
    Training? What Training

Put effort into stores or just leave

Low compensation relative to job requirement.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They teach you a lot about consultative selling, providing complete solutions, and supporting customers. They even send you to sales training where you are taught these valuable selling skills.

Cons

Despite preaching values about customer care and working for the customer, it eventually boils down to attaching GeekSquad Protection and garnering Credit Card apps.

Be honest about what the job entails.

Management was awful and didn't help you do anything

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Good discount on accessories

Cons

Pay was not even comparable to the work you had to put in

Political Work Environment, Very Biased Management

Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

When the management likes you it is awesome but it sucks to hear what other people go through.
    Pay is above minimum wage.
    Employee Discount is good.

Cons

Very biased management who only like those that will hang out with them outside of work. (Never changes)
    Hours based on sales, while claiming to be noncommisioned if you don't sell enough of the useless Geek Squad Protection then you won't get any hours (below legal minimum).
    Hours are terrible.

Good discount...too bad they don't pay you enough to be able to use it though

Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, get to see product before release date,

Cons

Leadership, Pay, nobody in the store cares about anything

Stop pushing every problem under the rug and stop talking about employees behind their back

Terrible Place Overall

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Nashville, TN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Discount, Somewhat of a friendly staff

Cons

Plays Favorites, Terrible scheduling, Terrible Hours

Work on not playing favorites or allowing who you all incharge

Good place for entry level experience

Current Employee - Geek Squad Supervisor DCI in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Supervisor DCI in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and you gain experience on how to deal with customer interactions and how to find solutions.

Cons

Horrible management and benefits. Hard place if your trying to move up unless you are a suck up. It's all about favoritism and who you know in order to move up in the company.