Best Buy

6,165 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,052 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 760 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 323 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 204 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 189 reviews)

More Highlights

Best Buy Review

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay and benefits monthly

Cons

sometimes there is pressure from management to be extra competitive

Overall great experience

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked as an AM for Best Buy for 8 years. The environment is fun, challenging and rewarding. The benefits and discounts are top notch. You meet a lot of great people and business partners. Flexible with schedule....for retail. Working the holidays is fun and fast paced if you like being kept on your toes.

Cons

In an effort to compete with amazon, walmart, target....the company has made many budget cuts, especially in staffing. They have reduced management in stores and full time headcounts. It became very difficult to manage your work/life balance and also have the tools to be successful when working with a diminished workforce. They also pay part time very poorly and it's hard to find dedicated, quality professionals.

position yourself to better drive market share instead of cutting cutting cutting to stay afloat

Good starting job; room for growth

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Laredo, TX
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Laredo, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to be around, and learn about the newest technology. Good place to start off work experience

Cons

Push you to sell, sometimes to the point of feeling uncomfortable.

Slow days are inevitable. Do not rise courage employees by concentrating on how much they haven't sold, but what they have

Fun, entertaining experience and growth opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Pay, around electronics, co workers are fantastic and management is great!

Cons

Customers, learning alot of new tech.

Great but understaffed

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

learned a lot of stuff

Cons

sometimes understaffed, some pressure from bosses

I was a Best Buy Mobile lead for 3 years

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement if you want to work for it
    4 years total and within 1 year i was promoted three times

Cons

If you want to complain about holiday hours, or staying late occassionally, then retail is the wrong business for you. Part time pay sucks, work your tail off, get noticed, pay will jump quickly.

1 year and counting

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity for growth and moving up the ladder.

Cons

Manager and supervisors don't communicate well.

Management is okay.

Overall, great company.

Current Employee - PCHO Specialist in Reynoldsburg, OH
    Current Employee - PCHO Specialist in Reynoldsburg, OH

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, goals are typically reasonable. It's nice to interact with customers who know that you don't work on commission and that you actually can spend the time to work through their (computer, mobile) problems to see what they need and what will be best for them.

Cons

There are still sales goals that have to be met, even thought employees do not work on commission. The company is way too pushy about credit card applications. Everyone in every store has to get a minimum number a month. This is on top of the fact that most people who shop here already have one, or are not able to get approved.

There needs to be a stronger focus on training employees on the skills necessary to advance in the company. It seems like managers care about doing their job as supervisors, but not about taking care of employees. This is understandable in a retail environment, because some managers lack management qualities. However, there needs to be a better effort put forth.

The Joys and Challenges of working for Best Buy

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was much to love about working for Best Buy Corporate. You have the chance to work with very bright, highly motivated and energetic, passionate go-getters who are highly committed to doing their part to help the company overcome its current challenges in the market. I was impressed by the caliber of so many of the people I had the opportunity to work with while I was with the organization as these traits were consistently displayed by most of the employees I worked with. There's a perceptible energy/buzz that exists at the corporate campus like none other that I've experienced in any other organization. The employee's strong desire and commitment to striving to give Best Buy customers a great experience and great prices was very evident through the discussions which took place in meetings to the long hours employees were willing to work to make things happen. I was impressed with Best Buy's level of maturity around its change management and organizational readiness practices.

Cons

The pace in which decisions are made and executed is fast but the downside of this is that the lack of good planning up front occasionally thwarted those efforts to deliver quickly. And occasionally, it seemed as though the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing which would result in parallel work efforts that seemed to be somewhat in conflict. But at the same time, I was impressed with the company's willingness to experiment with new concepts and ideas. The downside of having very passionate and committed employees is that when they did't agree with each other sometimes the tone and delivery of those messages could be perceived as borderline inappropriate. That said, I found the culture to vary a bit depending on what part of the organization you sat in.

Keep thinking outside the box to address the current market challenges.

Good experience

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with school schedule, great for part-time job while being in school

Cons

Must work weekends and holidays