Best Buy Reviews

1. Best Buy pros and cons

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Owasso, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Owasso, OK

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The benefits are good. Career opps are not too bad.

Cons

The managment alot of times is very pushing and says we are not on commision yet as a customer assistant gives us a goal to hit and then we get in trouble if we dont hit it but no one says a word it we do. Supervisors are very pushy and not fair with pay at all. Managment talks about other employees on personal levels.

Advice to Management

Treat your employess fairly. If you say we are not on commision then please dont make us feel like we are. I've tons of employees saying they are ready to quit and I have to talk them out of it. Stop pushing us so hard and stressing us out. Focus more on training and actually following job description with title.

As With all things there are Pitfalls

Current Employee - Anonymous Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Salary tops all others inthe field, benefits, and comraderie of employees. The motto is to have fun whilebeing the best and at times this can be a very fun job.

Cons

Favoritism in advancement, problems with upper management "doing 1 thing and saying another." Upper management is not a real presence inthe stores, many deals for promotions happen in a social environment. Recently there has been a huge influx of hiring outsiders rather than promoting from within - somehting that Best buy has always prided itself on. This is a good , stable company but it seems to have taken a wrong turn at the present time.

Advice to Management

The promotion should not be abused through favoritism. Feedback should be timely and informative. Upper Management should be a presence in all stores not simply a chosen few. .

Where have all the mom and pop shops gone?

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Morgantown, WV
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Morgantown, WV

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The people who work there, in non-leadership positions, generally tend to be very fun to work with. The employee discount is very good, with most products being sold to employees at only 5% above cost.

Cons

The selling of unnecessary products, services, and "service plans" are forced upon the the sales-floor employees in the guise of giving the "customer" the "the complete solution. Managers do very little besides "sales leading," trying to pump up employees about competing with surrounding Best Buy stores and Best Buy districts, and sitting behind closed doors chatting. Most leadership meetings are held simply for the sake of holding meetings. The hourly employees do all of the hard work.

Advice to Management

Store management: Start selling on the floor a little more often...walk the walk instead of talking the talk. Upper management: Do something more productive, and spread the wealth around the company a little more generously.

5. supporting shareholders is only as good as supporting employees

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Elizabeth, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Elizabeth, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

it's not just retail anymore!!!! we also are a major competitor in the services related industry. so yes it is a viable career for the technical saavy. the only downside to this is the compensatory rates as compared to other similar professional fields and the locations as compared to demographic and cost of living for services related positions are way undercut. there are individuals making just over 50k that in other companies with the same type of responsibility and amount of work they do could easliy clear 80k with the same type of benefits and packages. the staff and upper management is very competant. however the store management needs to better train their supervisors in an effort to better serve our clients and serve our shareholders. in this economy we cant afford not to.

Cons

compensation has very LARGE GAPS. the cost of living is way out of wack as compared to the salary offering. this i would say is hurting it's own employees good and bad. across the boards the company as a whole needs to re-visit the salary structure. and offer better pay to those especially in larger more "expensive" in terms of cost of living areas. specifically housing etc...

Advice to Management

first let me say i have been with the company for a very long time, and i have had some bad experiences. i still firmly believe that in the end this is the right career choice for me. i would tell them to re-visit the structure of services and the compensation for leadership within services. as well as store assistant managers. those working in large metro areas. have a much higher cost of living than you might expect. in today's economy across the board your hard working leadership is genuinely suffering. also the training for store Home theater supervisors needs to be more frequent. especially with hands on training for services. they could really benefit from some sort of training. also i keep hearing the word RE-ORG? why at this point in the game with so much investment? time and time again has corporate done this and every single time you just end up going back to where you were? i would emplore you to revisit this decision if this is the case. take better care of your employees as you continue to it's really looking like night and day compared to how things were run 5 years ago. so good work with that. one thing i would tell you that has changed for the better. the new DFM program is coming along nicely. however the dispatch company is not that great. DFM's are a mojr support vein for services. we can't do this without them.

A Mostly Satisfied Review With Some Specific Negative Comments

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

There is so much opportunity to move up within the company. I think that the people that work within Best Buy are very nice and supportive. I also think that the company makes it worth your while to work for the company, they give you so many benefits for working there.

Cons

I think one of the downsides with working for Best Buy is that some of the managers don't know how hard the job is some times. They make such hard goals for the area in which I work, even though I'm working hard every day.

Advice to Management

I think that they should put themselves in our shoes. They should be doing some of the things that they are asking us to do.

7. Not that bad

Current Employee - DCI, Geek Squad City in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - DCI, Geek Squad City in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Large, growing company that pays attention to its competitiona nd activly trys to change before it is required just to survive. Company has new opportunities and a good overall culture.

Cons

Some areas are highly insular, secretive. At times, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, and at times, that a right hand even exists. Best Buy is trying and seems to be making headway, but these areas need to be priority.

Advice to Management

Better communication is a priority. Better benifits are a priority. Spread teh wealth, don't just focus on Corporate, use technology to open up the trainings, meetings and events up to the whole company. In fact, open some of the senior VP level meetings up to viewing over the web.

Best Buy: The Stress Factory in a box

Current Employee - Home Theater in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Home Theater in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The benefits overall are great, especially the employee discount. Not only that but it is a ncie environment to work in every day, espcially if you like talking about or just being around electronics all day. Basically if you enjoy electronics and are looking for a good job to help get groceries during college, there is no better choice.

Cons

There is a ridiculous amount of stress from the managers to perform up to their standards but you are not often recognized, or rewarded for your efforts. You can be the hardest worker in the store and make the same amount as the laziest person. They also have unrealistic goals they set, especially given the state of the current economy.

Advice to Management

Relax, and stop stressing out your employees, not only does it just lower overall moral, it makes employee far more likely to quit.

9. Is Best Buy the "Best Buy" for your retail career?

Current Employee - Business Technology Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Technology Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Flexible Schedule, Chances to interact with lots of people if thats what you are into. There are many opportunities to grow. Also Best Buy is one of the few companies that are still doing okay financially. Leadership expectations are set very high. so if you grow into one of the leadership positions and succeed, you learn very valuable leadership skills.

Cons

Favoritism from some managers. You MUST network to move your way up. Not everything is performance based. Customers get crazy every now and then

Advice to Management

I don't even know who you are. Take some time to email or speak to the regular employees

10. If you don't care about what you make, Best Buy is a pretty good place to work.

Current Employee - Apple Expert/Sales in Canoga Park, CA
    Current Employee - Apple Expert/Sales in Canoga Park, CA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Non Commissioned friendly environment. The discounts are pretty good.

Cons

No Commission, managers are aggressive for pushing warranties and services.

Advice to Management

Work to get employee's the proper bonus for their hard work.

11. Pretty good place to work for part-timers

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Working in the Geek Squad is enjoyable because of the people I work with, and the knowledge I gain working on computers and such. The discount is a great attribute of working there. Even part-timers like myself, can indulge in a 401k that Best Buy will match, as well as a stock purchasing plan. For high-school students looking to go to the local community college, Best Buy will pay for it.

Cons

Customers as usual are terrible. Some are great, but working at the Geek Squad people usually come in already frustrated and just want things to go their way. Management can be very screwed up. People who really deserve promotions will either never get them or get them extremely late. It is all about favorites in the retail enviroment. You have to be very well liked by the managers and that is all to get a promotion.

Advice to Management

Judge promotions based on skill and hard work, not ass kissing skills. There are to many terrible managers who didn't deserve that promotion much less work there.

Showing 222 of 8,235 reviews