Best Buy Reviews

6,002 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,967 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 753 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 321 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 202 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 186 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful on-going training, incredible discounts.

Former Employee - Bbym Sales Lead
    Former Employee - Bbym Sales Lead

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

On going training, bonus structure for some sales floor employees, amazing discounts

Cons

More benefits for part timers

Best company to begin your career

Former Employee - Connectivity Business Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Connectivity Business Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great environment, up to the level of manager...

Cons

The company does not put any importance on the quality of life during your tenure as an assistant manager.

Speak to assistant managers to gain actual insight, sometimes the wrong people are leading the helm of stores because they once were good assistant managers. The issue is when they become GM or DM they forget how hard the struggle underneath them was and overlook some great employees.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and work days.
    Ability to move from department to department.

Cons

It's Retail, so expect to work weekends, nights and holidays.

Best job I've ever had.

Former Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Dickson City, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Dickson City, PA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at best buy, your coworkers will be your family and your bestfriends. Everyone will support you and help you be the best you can. You'll start working there and not know anyone, and one day in you'll have all the support you need. They teach you everything you could possibly need to know about the department you're in.

Cons

Hours are long, don't really have any weekends.

Keep doing what your doing!

Good place to work, re-structure kills

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Lead in Lanesboro, MA
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Lead in Lanesboro, MA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere most of the time. They are huge on training and you learn lots about the different products they offer, wages aren't bad for the work expected.

Cons

Benefits like @ most retailers are very poor, especially if you have a spouse and child. The re-structuring the company has put into place, has cost them most of their very best talent..
    promotions are now very unlikely, there are very few spots above line level employee's

The folks who lead the store as part timers, dont make them wait two years to go full time..
    I was a PCHO district standout and waited 9 months, which was fair, but I had seen many great associates leave, because it was taking so much longer, but they couldn't move up because an MCSA who was there awhile under-performing, was in the spot.

Nice

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Fun to work here most of the time

Cons

Busy as hell due to great guest service

good customer service

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

give you a great knowledge about electronics

Cons

takes time to learn some of the products

Great Company

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company overall, I met some of my very best friends and learned more than I could have ever imagined.

Cons

Challenging to work hard with the low pay. They changed the pay scales and it is nearly impossible to earn a competitive wage unless you are in management.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Best Buy Customer Sales Associate in Fort Gratiot, MI
    Former Employee - Best Buy Customer Sales Associate in Fort Gratiot, MI

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really fun, interesting place to work. I routinely received a lot of hours, started at a very reasonable hourly rate, and had great management that set clear goals and objectives. I also received extensive training on every product we offered.

Cons

The sales figures management focuses on the most are fueled by the sale of overpriced cables and accessories. It was very hard to push overpriced DVI, HDMI cables, and iPad cases knowing that you can easily find them online for much, much less.

Stop trying to push overpriced cables and accessories on people and focus more on providing excellent customer service. My customers came back to buy from me because they trusted me, because I didn't try to sell them stuff they didn't need. If you can cultivate that level of trust with all your associates you'll start seeing more returns than you currently are.

Every day it's a new challenge.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

I love helping people, I love being the hero. I get to help people that come in with issues and I can figure out what the issue is and give them insight on the technology they are using.

Cons

Low pay, I get close to minimum wage in the department I'm in where I'm expected to know everything about everything within that store and we are the go to department for when products in other departments are messing up.

Keep the atmosphere positive and the employees optimistic, give them something to strive towards. Your doing a great job by the way!