Best Buy Reviews

Reset

8,154 Employee Reviews

1. It was wonderful!

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Great people. They were very patient when training new people. Always have customers a warm, friendly smiles and helpful advice and tips.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say. Well, there were occasions where an employee was rude to customers. But simply because they were having a bad day.

2. Fun!

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning experiences. Some leadership listens. Great discount! A lot off of accessories have a great if not wonderful discount. Easy and laid back

Cons

Your Hours have too much or too little no middle man in that. The scheduler can make it so your late sometimes.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees have some great ideas!

3. Awesome, but could be better.

Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

tl;dr Fun place to work for that offers exhaustive benefits compared to other retail jobs. Obviously depends a lot on what store you work at, but my store was generally pretty laid back most of the day and a lot of the coworkers were like-minded and we enjoyed playful banter over the headsets and what not. Higher-ups seemed like they genuinely cared about your well being, more than your work performance. I had plenty of days where my boss would rather talk about how I was feeling vs how well I was selling if he noticed I was having a bad day. Perfect environment for any techy person or nerd. Pay is better than other similar retail stores, and there's monthly bonuses depending on store performance (not individual). You have yearly performance reviews that affect your pay albeit it's a tiny raise, I went from 9.50 to 9.78 an hour and that was considered "good". Benefits are very exhaustive. As full time, I had a pretty solid price for health insurance and what not ($25 a month!). Best Buy does a lot of matching into 401k or anything like that, as well. And those are the standard benefits. They have hundreds of programs on their website for like, anything you need. They give you a reward for losing weight or breaking a bad addiction like smoking if you sign up for the programs. They also have a lot of free programs like counseling and what not.

Cons

tl;dr Bureaucracy. Do you enjoy getting reminded that the store is under budget for the day, every 15 minutes, when no customers have walked even remotely near you in the past hour? That's what it feels like sometimes. Don't expect to advance at Best Buy. Sales floor makes around $10 hourly and the lowest supervisor makes like $13. And you'd have to work there for a while to ever be considered. We hired a guy that said he worked as a manager at a different company and my boss said that he'd need Best Buy-specific leadership experience to be considered. What? Best Buy is the kind of place where change happens at a snail's pace. Obviously it's retail and being on the sales floor makes you the very bottom of the totem pole, but if you have a good idea or suggestions or anything like that, don't expect anything to happen. My store also played favorites a lot. Like a lot. There were multiple people that were late every day and never got fired (you only get 5 lates every 6 months). There were people that got promoted when there were clearly other people more qualified. We got a new GM and it seemed like he just hired a bunch of his friends to run the store, and every single one of those people either quit or got fired within the year. Stuff was kinda shady a lot. Like secret Best Buy drama that I didn't even hear about until after I transferred stores. Employees were getting paid regularly with training labor too, sometimes. Here's some examples. I was at that store for two years and the toilet in the men's bathroom stayed broken and flooded the floor every day. I caught another employee stealing and wasn't rewarded for it (which they do offer). After six months of persistent asking my boss who claimed she put in the report, they gave me $10. What a joke. Their website claims the minimum is normally $300. Specifically, I was in a vendor-provided labor spot, which meant Microsoft was paying Best Buy to pay my hours. Still a Best Buy employee, but followed all of Microsoft's rules. Best Buy didn't care about Microsoft's vendor agreement. They made me sell Apple products, close/open the store, sell in other parts of the store. Basically, they thought of me as a normal employee that was free labor and it was ridiculous, because Microsoft was on my case about it all the time.

Advice to Management

There's not much you can do, really. Change would need to happen at a corporate level and trickle down. Mostly, just don't play favorites. And if an employee asks for something, do it. Don't just say "look on the website". I had a GM that was a robot. He gave standard responses to every question.

5. Good company to work for

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Medical, Tuition assistance, monthly bonuses based on revenue of store, relatively low stress due to lack of commission.

Cons

Sometimes managers can lack understanding, Customers expect a lot and then don't buy anything sometimes.

Advice to Management

You were once a sales associate, please remember what it was like and understand the struggles. I'm not saying to give away slack, just remember that it isn't always easy.

6. Learn to win

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic leadership and even better customers & employees.

Cons

Holiday season is a lot of fun but the hours will seem hard if you are not used to them.

Advice to Management

Keep the integrated frame at the center of focus

Inventory

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typical retail, expect to know everything and be able to sell anything.

Cons

I worked warehouse and i know more about computers then most of that department and even geek squad came to me for computer help. Too much favoritism. Don't expect to move unless your friends with management.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and stop promoting people to management who's only qualifying characteristic seems to be arrogance.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Galt, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Galt, CA

I have been working at Best Buy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. It feels like home.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

I think that most of the management does a great job. There are mostly teenagers working for them.

9. Wireless Sales Consultant

Former Employee - Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant in Columbia, MO

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very Welcoming, offer a lot of continuous self development.

Cons

Difficult to move up into the company.

10. Inventory Associate

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Muncie, IN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, the discount, and making more than minimum wage.

Cons

Bad hours, bad growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your workers, make your cutbacks elsewhere.

11. It's what you'd expect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay for young people, nice management, super friendly environment, great employee discount

Cons

Just the holidays but you'd expect that from retail

Advice to Management

Just remember "have fun while being the best"

Showing 8,154 of 8,205 reviews