Best Buy

6,194 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,069 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

The Joys and Challenges of working for Best Buy

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There was much to love about working for Best Buy Corporate. You have the chance to work with very bright, highly motivated and energetic, passionate go-getters who are highly committed to doing their part to help the company overcome its current challenges in the market. I was impressed by the caliber of so many of the people I had the opportunity to work with while I was with the organization as these traits were consistently displayed by most of the employees I worked with. There's a perceptible energy/buzz that exists at the corporate campus like none other that I've experienced in any other organization. The employee's strong desire and commitment to striving to give Best Buy customers a great experience and great prices was very evident through the discussions which took place in meetings to the long hours employees were willing to work to make things happen. I was impressed with Best Buy's level of maturity around its change management and organizational readiness practices.

Cons

The pace in which decisions are made and executed is fast but the downside of this is that the lack of good planning up front occasionally thwarted those efforts to deliver quickly. And occasionally, it seemed as though the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing which would result in parallel work efforts that seemed to be somewhat in conflict. But at the same time, I was impressed with the company's willingness to experiment with new concepts and ideas. The downside of having very passionate and committed employees is that when they did't agree with each other sometimes the tone and delivery of those messages could be perceived as borderline inappropriate. That said, I found the culture to vary a bit depending on what part of the organization you sat in.

Keep thinking outside the box to address the current market challenges.

amazing place I miss it

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

challenging, family cultured if you do your job the opportunity is there leadership cared

Cons

re-organization of positions almost every year but they try to do there best with finding another position for you or a pretty good severance package

give time for things to take affect when you make a change. change is probably the most important when it comes to survival but change to soon or to late is just as bad as doing nothing

A great stepping stone

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you'll make lots of great friends, learn a lot and possibly move into a high paying position without much external work (i.e. college or trade school) tuition reimbursement

Cons

hard to get a competitive wage (establishing yourself as valuable and then threatening to quit works some times) very political, just have to play the game to move up

as employees excel and become leading sales people, pay them more. customers love the fact that they get honest advice because it does not effect the employees paycheck but you can't keep good people if they can't afford to live. commission sounds better every paycheck that gets negated by bills.

Good experience

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with school schedule, great for part-time job while being in school

Cons

Must work weekends and holidays

Employee Oriented

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun environment to work in, low sales pressure and focus on customer satisfaction

Cons

Compensation can be unmotivating when told to reach a sales goal

Provide more incentive to reach sales targets

Great Company

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Easy to switch from store to store if you have to move for any reason. The environment in each store is inviting, and fun and the people you work with are always inviting.

Cons

There can be times where little hours are granted, leaving it hard to get a full schedule.

Room to develop and grow

Former Employee - Multi Channel Sales Supervisor in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Multi Channel Sales Supervisor in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can grow within the company. The benefits are really good as with 401k matching, employee stock purchasing, tuition reimbursement and employee discounts.

Cons

Labor management is probably the biggest issue, to spread employees out so thin to cover the whole sales floor. Working thanksgiving day is also pretty bad, scale it back to Black Friday only.

N/a

The company is growing exponentially!!

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best Buy offers a competitive wage, great benefits, and in depth training.

Cons

No complaints to report as of now

Keep up the good work.

great company

I worked at Best Buy (less than an year)

Pros

Managements willingness to answer questions and help with any question or situation

Cons

I cant think of anything right now

Keep up the good work

Great company, some bad management apples....

Current Employee - Specialty Manager in Barboursville, WV
    Current Employee - Specialty Manager in Barboursville, WV

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love the fast pace and competitive atmosphere, always new products and displays. A new adventure every time you walk in. Love it!

Cons

General manager issues. My store has been through 4 General managers in 2 years and the first one left to go to another store but the rest were fired for misconduct, severe misconduct in two cases. I know that's not necessarily Best buys fault but it totally affected my experience. Besides this I really have no cons except maybe working holidays, but you get 8 hrs paid whether you work or not (if full time) and if you do work you also get double time pay.

Let's have some more appreciation for middle management.