Best Buy Reviews

5,961 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,942 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 744 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 316 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 201 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great expirience. A great culture and extremely fun place to work.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager of Operations in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager of Operations in Miami, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

When Promoted to leadership pay is much better then other retail companies

Cons

The only con I can think of is the holiday schedule but that is for all retail companies.

Begin to be ahead of the competition rather then following the competition.

management

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employees very knowledgeable and love working there. Great corporate staff always willing to help any time and they treat you with respect and value your opinion's.

Cons

Cross training is always vital to success.

Customer service is the most important thing these days and let the customer know that you really care about them as a individual.

Project sales at a sku store level for Best Buy stores

Current Employee - Demand Forecast Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Demand Forecast Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy the company culture and the discount is amazing. My teammates make the job a lot of fun and I have found many opportunities to grow within my business team.

Cons

Sometimes people are not held accountable and the communication between cross functional partners is difficult as everyone is managing very large sku counts.

Awesome

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Good Benefits, My store has some of the best management in the district and it really is a fun environment to work in. a fairly good decent pay starting out.

Cons

working with people can always be hard. Work long hours, Not a lot of room for advancement do the the restructuring of corporate not to long ago.

An excellent place to work while in school.

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The absolute best thing about working here is the employee discount. I cannot go into detail about it, but it is unreal how much you get off certain items.

At the beginning of my career here, I really enjoyed talking to the customers and letting them pick my brain about solutions to their electronic needs. I found it fascinating learning about them and doing everything I could for them. I now hate all customers.

Compensation is adequate. The pay is very good for a high school student, but oftentimes you are expected to sell like a professional salesman and are not paid nearly enough for the work expected. I cannot hit 8 daily unattainable goals, let alone want to at $10 an hour (after 3 years).

The company values WERE great. The new CEO has restructured the company and has promised to "reinvigorate the employee experience". This, according to him, meant removing our employee discount off certain items, firing half of management, lengthening holiday hours and adding more holiday days, and the company is now focused on sales, not the customer experience.

Training is decent.

Besides the rant, the place is a very fun place to work while in high school and starting college. The majority of the employees are easy to work with, however you will often find yourself acting like more of a babysitter to them. The store atmosphere is generally upbeat and friendly. The benefits package is decent. Management has an extremely high turnover rate, but the majority of the time micromanagement is kept to a minimum.

Cons

You will be conned into selling the customer what the store needs them to buy, not what the customer actually needs. The first about 18 month of this career I absolutely loved my job. Now, with the new company restructure and the new CEO, that has changed. Every single customer you work with must be asked the same five monotonous and cheesy questions (all of which you are FORCED to write down that they say). Then every single customer must be recommended 3 accessories, a service (tv installation), content (iTunes gift card), a rewards card, a best buy credit card, best buy gift cards, financing, geek squad protection, and to take a survey on the receipt. Gets very monotonous after a while.

Best buy started as an excellent company that focused on the customer experience and providing customers with a working, affordable solution to their needs. Now it is all about numbers. Keep the company profitable by all means, but do not do it at expense of our customers.

Good people great discount

Former Employee - Product Process Specialist in Manhattan, KS
    Former Employee - Product Process Specialist in Manhattan, KS

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible time and great direct management.

Cons

People think you can fix everything and know everything about all electronics.

Stop changing the sales routine each year.

Horrible

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing well the discount are cool

Cons

Don't expect to move up

Give more recognition and respect to employees

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Portage, MI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company takes your training very seriously and invests a lot of time with you to make sure your integration is successful. My manager was always willing to work around my school schedule. Lots of opportunity for overtime. I often worked hours in other departments.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say, I was rather pleased with my experience at Best Buy.

Fun, but not a lot of opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at Best Buy for a little over 4 years. The company is a lot of fun to work for. It's always great being "in the know" on the latest electronics. I worked in a college town and even though I was from the town and had family there, Best buy quickly became my second family There is a very caring attitude between employees and some of them became life long friends. Although I would say it is very hard to grow into a management position there, they really do encourage leadership among employees.

Cons

No room to grow. Once I mastered my position at the front lanes (selling protection plans and constantly beinig friendly despite the idiots that come through the line), I moved over to what used to be called "customer service". There I was verbally abused day in and day out by customers coming expecting crazy favors when the return policy is clearly printed on every receipt and throughout the store. Depending on the manager, they mostly backe dyou but every store has that one manager that would throw you under the bus. My biggest reason for leaving was that I didn't feel that my job was secure.

Develop managers/leadership internally. The people that work it everyday are the ones that are going to know how to improve it.

There still room for improvement.

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Snellville, GA
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Snellville, GA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with fellow coworkers, and making customers happy.

Cons

Favoritism in certain departments, lack of knowledge when cross selling.

If you want good revenue from your sales team, stop making them fill out so many unnecessary forms in a daily basis. That time can be used to take good care of customers.