Best Buy

6,165 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,052 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 760 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 323 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 204 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 189 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, great environment as well.

Cons

Working retail hours during holidays.

Keep taking care of your employees

Best Buy is the best retail place in NYC that people spend money on daily and I love the customer service there.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

the best reasons to work at best buy is? the stuff there is the highest selling on the market today and a lot of people agree on that.

Cons

the bad part about best buy is management is slow there and not on the right track

Great Place To Work.

Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Such a great place to work. The managers made you feel like family and the energy from everyone of my co-workers helped the the job done everyday.

Cons

Hard to get a hold of trying to get a interview.

Keep it up!

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, great benefits and bonus's. The employee discount is insane and the actual work you do is easy.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted and even harder to get a decent raise. You have to work on Thanksgiving night, so if you're family oriented thats a big problem.

Listen to the employees they really know what the customer wants.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Fun atmosphere that is easy to be productive in

Cons

Beginning to focus too much on individual sales.

My experience at Best Buy has been wonderful and it is such an amazing and fun company to be with.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

It truly is a fun place to work. You get hands on with the newest technology. The benefits are great. Most importantly I have made the best friends working here. You get to know a lot of diverse and awesome people!

Cons

The hours, but hey it's retail! But Best Buy is very good about giving you the time off that is needed and working with your availability.

Fun and long hours

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

great pay
    great benefits and fun people

Cons

no holiday time off
    not enough leaders in the building

Constant Change

Current Employee - Supervisor in Dublin, GA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Dublin, GA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always challenging, and continuous environment of change. You are always learning, and given the freedom to test new ideas.

Cons

Work/life balance is definitely uneven. Corporate leadership does not have a firm grasp on what the daily grind is, so they are not hesitant to ask more out of you.

Great When I Started, Too Many Bad Changes By The Time I Left

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Employee Discount
    -Working with latest and greatest technology
    -Good coworkers

Cons

-Heavily short staffed
    -Constant fear of job elimination
    -Politics
    -Heavily aggressive sales

Return to your roots and the foundational excellence that made you a great company to work for. Truly value and appreciate your people, don't stretch them too thin, and utilize your value propositions to return Best Buy to its former glory.

A decent retail job, but you're not expected to sell what you'd think is expected.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Marlborough, MA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great, fast-paced, and fun work environment as long as you have the right team. I haven't worked here in over 2 years and I still hang out with some of my coworkers. You get to meet a lot of people and talk about technology for most of the day. As long as you're into that sort of thing, you'll have AT LEAST a decent time.

Cons

The company was constantly in a state of flux and changed a lot of policies all the time. Systems that worked would be changed and/or renamed for almost no reason and departments would sometimes be reorganized, separated, or combined and it can force people who work in the gaming section to also see over home appliances. What if they don't know anything about fridges or dish washers? Which brings us into the next point: There isn't any real training for any of the departments. I didn't know anything about cameras when I first worked there. In order for me to learn about them, no one really held my hand or showed me much that was useful. You're expected to mess with the displays yourself and learn on your own. It's definitely possible, but this is a really hard way to learn technology.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, sales are not truly valued unless you set your customers up with protection plans and a credit card. I can't truly convey to you just how much pressure was put on pushing those services. A common interaction with a manager there could look something like this:
    Sales Associate: "Hey, I just had a $800 sale! Lots of accessories attached!"
    Manager: "That's great! Did you get a credit card sign-up?"
    Sales: "No, just the products."
    Manager: "Why no? What happened?"
    Hearing that over and over, every day, can really make you feel bad about doing an otherwise really great job.

I understand you're a big retailer and the focus on trying to have the biggest bottom line as possible, but give it a rest on the quotas. It stresses employees out and makes them feel uneasy about their reputation and sometimes even their job security. There isn't much management can do on a store basis, but it would be really nice if the corporate management would stop trying to reinvent the wheel with all their arbitrary changes in systems and departments. Meaningful change is appreciated, but change for the sake of it is not.