Best Buy Reviews

6,002 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,967 Ratings

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 753 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 321 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 202 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 186 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Best Buy Customer Sales Associate in Fort Gratiot, MI
    Former Employee - Best Buy Customer Sales Associate in Fort Gratiot, MI

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really fun, interesting place to work. I routinely received a lot of hours, started at a very reasonable hourly rate, and had great management that set clear goals and objectives. I also received extensive training on every product we offered.

Cons

The sales figures management focuses on the most are fueled by the sale of overpriced cables and accessories. It was very hard to push overpriced DVI, HDMI cables, and iPad cases knowing that you can easily find them online for much, much less.

Stop trying to push overpriced cables and accessories on people and focus more on providing excellent customer service. My customers came back to buy from me because they trusted me, because I didn't try to sell them stuff they didn't need. If you can cultivate that level of trust with all your associates you'll start seeing more returns than you currently are.

Every day it's a new challenge.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

I love helping people, I love being the hero. I get to help people that come in with issues and I can figure out what the issue is and give them insight on the technology they are using.

Cons

Low pay, I get close to minimum wage in the department I'm in where I'm expected to know everything about everything within that store and we are the go to department for when products in other departments are messing up.

Keep the atmosphere positive and the employees optimistic, give them something to strive towards. Your doing a great job by the way!

Enjoyed the work.

Former Employee - Buyer in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Buyer in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy (more than 5 years)

Pros

I thought the salary was fair and very good training. I liked my co workers and the ability to advance in the company. The benefits are decent compared to my current job

Cons

work life balance, seasonality of the business, the hours get long especially in the fall preparing for the Christmans rush. Didnt always feel appreciated but I liked upper management.

Good place to work, re-structure kills

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Lead in Lanesboro, MA
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Lead in Lanesboro, MA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere most of the time. They are huge on training and you learn lots about the different products they offer, wages aren't bad for the work expected.

Cons

Benefits like @ most retailers are very poor, especially if you have a spouse and child. The re-structuring the company has put into place, has cost them most of their very best talent..
    promotions are now very unlikely, there are very few spots above line level employee's

The folks who lead the store as part timers, dont make them wait two years to go full time..
    I was a PCHO district standout and waited 9 months, which was fair, but I had seen many great associates leave, because it was taking so much longer, but they couldn't move up because an MCSA who was there awhile under-performing, was in the spot.

Best Buy is getting things together

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

New leadership has an intelligent vision to move company forward. Best Buy places a tremendous trust in front line leadership, at least on the supply chain side. Haven't seen any micromanaging so far. Embraces diversity and takes care of employees pretty well for any industry, let alone retail.

Cons

I'd say the cons are more industry related than anything specific to Best Buy. Amazon has killed margins for everyone and shrinking margins mean shrinking profits and everything else bad that goes along with it. BBY is doing it's best to compensate its employees as well as it can in a space that really isn't very friendly to that behavior.

I would say continue to promote distribution channels, i.e. delivery from store and home delivery and get Pac Sales in as many markets as will support the concept. High end appliances have high margins and high margins mean better compensation.

Great Job, but gets old fast.

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Operations
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Operations

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

The company offers tons of perks and is great to work. The teams are usually friendly. You get to learn a lot of information about technology.

Cons

The job gets boring after awhile. There is a high turn over rate and because of this the company is not investing as much time as they used to in order to formally train employees. Advancement is very hard within the company. Also raises are a bit hard to come by.

Develop and help maintain career paths for employees. Be more competitive and give more chances to receive raises. Allow for flexing to create a difference in atmosphere.

Good work environment, good retail job

Former Employee - Portable Electronics Sales Associate in Germantown, MD
    Former Employee - Portable Electronics Sales Associate in Germantown, MD

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -Decent discount
    - technology based job
    - coworkers

Cons

- treat you like a commissioned worker (even though you are not)
    - long hours

While it's easy to understand that they are pushed into making you a sales machine. I would put customer satisfaction above selling Geek Squad warranties.

It was a great company to work for

Current Employee - Clerk in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Clerk in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really liked the Flexible Hours

Cons

I did not like having to work Weekends

Please try to consider Longer Lunches

Fun place to work

Current Employee - Apple Expert in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Apple Expert in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Considering other retail places to be working at, Best Buy stands out. the benefits on discounts and path to excellence points are great ways to motivate and keep you moving forward in the company. If you would like to get promoted, just ask how and all you have to do is try. Meeting interesting people all the time and being able to help out is pretty cool.

Cons

Although meeting some people is one of the pros it also shows up on the cons since not all people are nice. some can just be very rude and well I feel bad to say but some are just very slow. Just acknowledge that you will have to be patient and have a positive attitude to work here. Holidays are probably the worst but a lot of overtime is expected.

I would advise the management here in oklahoma city to take yearly evaluations very seriously especially since many would love greater opportunities with the company.

Fun company, new and fun products, customers can be very demanding

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Discount, Benefits for Full time and Part time. Always part of the latest in greatest in consumer electronics.

Cons

Leadership varies from store to store. Some stores have extremely talented people keeping the wheels moving while others not so much. It's retail, you are expected to work or be available most holidays. Time and a half is great, and double time and half if your full time and work the holidays.

Promote the talent from within. Make sure the right people are in the right spot to succeed in their skill sets. Pay employees slightly more to be competitive with Apple and Microsoft hourly employees, this will allow you to hire more talented people and hold higher expectations from employees.