Best Buy Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

Not very happy with the experience as a whole

Former Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent  in  Norridge, IL
    Former Employee - Counter Intelligence Agent in Norridge, IL

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

The discount offered by best buy was fair. There was a small opportunity for a bonus quarterly. There was a wide range of age groups that you worked with and gained knowledge with each of those.

Cons

Never provided the tools needed to perform your job. Trying to repair PCs that customers pay for, feel like a criminal asking for money within a certain time frame. Managers care more about having you sell than having you repair computers. Bad reputation for the company. No room to advance as a repair technician, sales persons would move into your senior management spots with no clue as to what they're doing, this was the norm throughout. Working with the general public, who were clueless to what they needed but were sure it was your fault that they are spending their time and money at best buy.

Listen to your people, not just the representatives you have speak for the people. When a technician needs a tool to get his job done, don't make it a back breaking experience. I asked for a new set of tools 9 months before I quit, and they were not even ordered by the time i gave my 2 week notice.

The job is great.

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist  in  Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Best buy is a great stepping stone for anyone looking to get into a business related career, they teach a lot about target markets and market segmentation, along with peer groups and salesmanship.

Cons

Not many downsides about working at best buy. The only thing that comes to mind, due to young and usually inexperienced leadership is favoritism of friends as employees.

The managers I work with are very good they help build employees beyond best buy and help them understand every aspect of the business.

A great in-between job or a career

Former Employee - Department Supervisor  in  Beaufort, SC
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Beaufort, SC

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

No matter what, it depends on the store. I got lucky for the most part and they worked around my school schedule, I got plenty or recognition and moved up. I'll be honest and say that I learned more about business at Best Buy than I did at college and I got my 4-year degree in business. It's a great place to observe different levels of positions, how to interact with them and where you fit.

Cons

Gossip is an issue in any store. Try to stay out of it and just get in, do your job, have fun, leave. The last thing you want to do is get caught up in drama that is bound to happen.

Treat your people with dignity and respect. You have to tailor how you talk to people based on how they work as an individual. Some people respond to direct orders and others need more time and explanations. Take the time. Don't give up on employees if they're having troubles. Never ask something of an employee that you wouldn't do yourself. Make sure you're on the floor instead of hiding out in the SDR. If you're going to be back there, let the floor associates know and let them know who to bring problems to because you'll be busy. That way, it'll give you peace to do your paperwork (there should be no other reason to be back here, don't just loiter back there) and then the associates know who to turn to in case of a problem.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not really

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

discounts are the best here

Cons

training needs slight improvement in a few areas.

patience

Not worth your time to work here

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Discount, that is about the only good thing about working here. Slightly higher pay than most retail stores, but that might be a 10-50 cent difference.

Cons

No hours at all for seasonal workers. Why hire early and so many if you're not willing to let people work. Pressure to meet budget when there are few incentives given for employees.

Even with the new customer interaction system, it is obvious that throwing hundreds of dollars of accessories on to a person who does not really need it will eventually back fire when they become more educated.

Business Project Manager at Best Buy

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Corporate Best Buy offers a challenging, fast paced work environment with very high expectations. Requires one to be highly collaborative and team oriented while still maintaining a strong sense of self and high singular achievement. Its strength based orientation is very refreshing and encourages you to build upon your passions.

Cons

Some of the downsides are the same as the upsides. All the collaboration and team work creates an environment lacking in decision making. The buck doesn't make enough stops so decisions are often prolonged or never made. The company is very young and as a result folks feel the doors close for them very early on.

I enjoyed the work I did at BBY, but I also enjoyed the development opportunities - the speakers, the volunteerism, WOLF, and the ability to use time to network and learn about myself and others.

Reality Check Needed in Pacific Northwest!

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Employee Discount, Long Term Incentive, Short Term Incentive, Overal Pay,

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, Beetings Continue until Moral Improves, Beets, Lack of work life balance, managers are not developed into future leaders, managers are rewarded off of luck, budgets, or severe favoratism from District HR and the District Staff, Kids managing kids.

Think long term in development, one month does not a bad manager make, there is something called a retail cycle, bad years often follow good years, compound growth was because of the housing growth and economy, lack of growth is from the economy, flat panels sales have flattened, what do you think will happen to sales? Wake up and stop firing people because that is all you know how to do.

Best Buy... Great if you are a brown noser.

Current Employee - Inventory Associate  in  Mentor, OH
    Current Employee - Inventory Associate in Mentor, OH

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

People, discounts, secure, stocks, transfer ability.

Cons

Management does not care about Prodct Process.

The warehouse staff is just as important to your business.

Good place for a job when your 18, that's about it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wilkes Barre, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilkes Barre, PA

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

You can meet alot of co-workers your age as most are college students.

Cons

Managemeny plays favorites and are incompetent. Promotions are given on favoratism and not based on qualifications. Hard workers are not appreciated, only workers that will kiss manager butts.

Get educated managers that know how to deal with employees and people.

Sales Senior alright approval.

Former Employee - Sales Senior
    Former Employee - Sales Senior

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Good benefits. The health benefits as a full time employee are great, and stock options and 401K are great., Good discount on electronics. Good place to meet people and learn basic strategies on selling.

Cons

High Stress. Management often would have different expectations, and often were not expressed in a proper way. Often times expectations were changed on a whim. Many times were passed up on promotions because someone less qualified had sucked up to management. No set schedule.

Make sure at the store line they are having consistent messages, and not changing on a whim.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!