Best Buy Reviews

3.2
Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
2,465 Ratings

1. Multimedia writer/producer/director for both internal and external video production communications.

Current Employee - Video Writer/Producer/Director in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Video Writer/Producer/Director in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are amazing. Truly a collaborative effort by all anywhere. It's not your basic corporate environment. It's hip, fun, energetic and edgy. Corporate loves their employees in the field.

Cons

It's often times hard to get promoted within. This is on the corporate side. That said, and or get a raise. Certainly is all about who you know.

Take more time to look at the overall output of work with your employees and think about what they deserve, are they getting it?

2. My time at Best Buy was exciting, gratifying and there was always more that could be done to help the customer.

Former Employee - Web Manager in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Web Manager in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people, the products and the campus.

Cons

Cost cutting measures required prioritization of resources, which made it impossible for all ideas to be vetted or tested.

Find a way to encourage creativity and the ability for individuals to contribute.

3. Great people and leadership

Current Employee - Director in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Smart, talented employees who generally care, and strong renewed focus on what matters, including ensuring trained staff on the sales flloor. Lesdership is not afraid to tackle tough problems to find cost savings, as well as create new growth opportunities.

Cons

Web plafform has been constrained and truly limited opportunities - hope the new west coast team is a start in improving this channel. And with the tightened focus, most teams are expected to follow the plan, with only a few teams focused on strategy which is a big cultural shift from the past.

Great business leadership, but some of the fun is missed. Ongoing training would benefit corporate teams, especially to stay sharp on the industry.

5. Opportunities Exist

Former Employee - Anonymous in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy (more than 10 years)

Pros

Business Casual, Opportunity to learn

Cons

Possibility of a reorg/restructure possible

Know that while lessons learned about flexible work space may sour your thoughts about providing your employee flexibility - there should be the possibility for a valued employee to be trusted in flexible schedules.

6. Great company, good benefits. Does not have good work/life balance

Current Employee - CRM Associate Manager in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - CRM Associate Manager in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Fantastic campus
    Great leadership
    Competitive wages

Cons

Does not have a great work/life balance
    High turnover last couple of years
    Does not implement good training practices

Need to have better distribution of work. Some people hardly put in a days worth, others are working days, nights and weekends

7. Senior Demand Planning Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Demand Planning Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Demand Planning Analyst in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Best Buy is a fun place to work. Nice headquarters and it's cool to work in the consumer tech industry. Great employee discount although perks seemed to be stripped away while I was there. ROWE - flexible schedules.

Cons

Less and less relevance of business model with Amazon and competing OEMs. Management was sometimes horrible. Lots of talent was fleeing while I was there. Lower salaries than Target. A lot of people hate Best Buy due to bad experiences with the brand and I found that out when I told people I worked for them.

Improve online experience. Price things appropriately there is no reason to have a $70 cable when a consumer can buy it for $5 on Amazon. Higher smarter people. Brian Dunn sucked so hard.

8. Missed Opportunities

Former Employee - Business Manager in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

- Really fun place to work - great products, great people (among the rank and file) - lots of autonomy
    - ROWE was great benefit when it was offered, but it was abused by some and I don't blame current management for taking it away
    - The company was very creative an innovative

Cons

- The lack of a vision, particularly how to compete against Amazon, is still a problem for the company. It was bad under the old management team, but I don't think it is much improved with the new management team.
    - There problem for Best Buy has always been in execution. So many great ideas are created in the company, but most never got enough traction to see the light of day because of the lack of vision within the company. Everybody worked on their personal projects, but with no idea how the pieces fit together as a whole.

9. QA analyst

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

good money. flexible. nice environment

Cons

too much work . please swear at work. lack professional attitude

better QA process

10. Elected to leave after experiences the shift in culture, business philosophy and leadership. It was time.

Former Employee - Corporate Leadership in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate Leadership in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Some of the best co-workers you can imagine

Cons

Ongoing cost reductions have made it difficult to be successful due to unbearable workload. Say goodbye to family time.

You said the turnaround would be a multi-year agenda but my firm belief is it is the new norm.

11. My time at Best Buy Corporate was mostly fun, almost always interesting, often frustrating.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

- Healthcare benefits are industry standard. They have a decent EAP and tuition reimbursement.
    - On-Site amenities are excellent -- Caribou, Bon Apetit, on-site gym, on-site New Horizon. Gym showers available to non-members who ride bikes to and from work.
    - There's rarely time to be bored and there are many opportunities to learn.
    - The culture is mostly inclusive. They have business networks that promote this. Examples are PRIDE (self-explanatory), BEN (Black Employee Network), and AEN (Asian Employee Network). Anyone is welcome to join any network. I was proud to be a member of a few employee networks and found them to be an excellent way to learn from others' perspective and to be an advocate for those who are unheard.

Cons

- The pace is always fast, which can be stressful. There is always a rush to get things done, resulting in errors in judgement.
    - Layoffs in recent years resulted in more work being done by fewer people, so work/life balance suffers.
    - The amount of work makes it difficult to take advantage of the benefits such as working out at the gym, going to school, etc.
    - The company likes to promote from within, but I think they are a bit ageist. I mostly saw young, good looking, employees being promoted.
    - Management is not involved in career development or learning. This might be industry standard, but I found it to be counter intuitive.
    - Departments seem to compete rather than work together to get things done.

Value your employees with tenure. These seem to be the employees that are let go first, probably due to pay. However, they are also the employees who have experience with past mistakes.