Best Buy

Updated February 27, 2015
3.2

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

204 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great people and leadership

Current Employee - Director in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Smart, talented employees who generally care, and strong renewed focus on what matters, including ensuring trained staff on the sales flloor. Lesdership is not afraid to tackle tough problems to find cost savings, as well as create new growth opportunities.

Cons

Web plafform has been constrained and truly limited opportunities - hope the new west coast team is a start in improving this channel. And with the tightened focus, most teams are expected to follow the plan, with only a few teams focused on strategy which is a big cultural shift from the past.

Great business leadership, but some of the fun is missed. Ongoing training would benefit corporate teams, especially to stay sharp on the industry.

Opportunities Exist

Former Employee - Anonymous in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy (more than 10 years)

Pros

Business Casual, Opportunity to learn

Cons

Possibility of a reorg/restructure possible

Know that while lessons learned about flexible work space may sour your thoughts about providing your employee flexibility - there should be the possibility for a valued employee to be trusted in flexible schedules.

Great company, good benefits. Does not have good work/life balance

Current Employee - CRM Associate Manager in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - CRM Associate Manager in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Fantastic campus
    Great leadership
    Competitive wages

Cons

Does not have a great work/life balance
    High turnover last couple of years
    Does not implement good training practices

Need to have better distribution of work. Some people hardly put in a days worth, others are working days, nights and weekends

QA analyst

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

good money. flexible. nice environment

Cons

too much work . please swear at work. lack professional attitude

better QA process

Elected to leave after experiences the shift in culture, business philosophy and leadership. It was time.

Former Employee - Corporate Leadership in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate Leadership in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Some of the best co-workers you can imagine

Cons

Ongoing cost reductions have made it difficult to be successful due to unbearable workload. Say goodbye to family time.

You said the turnaround would be a multi-year agenda but my firm belief is it is the new norm.

My time at Best Buy Corporate was mostly fun, almost always interesting, often frustrating.

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

- Healthcare benefits are industry standard. They have a decent EAP and tuition reimbursement.
    - On-Site amenities are excellent -- Caribou, Bon Apetit, on-site gym, on-site New Horizon. Gym showers available to non-members who ride bikes to and from work.
    - There's rarely time to be bored and there are many opportunities to learn.
    - The culture is mostly inclusive. They have business networks that promote this. Examples are PRIDE (self-explanatory), BEN (Black Employee Network), and AEN (Asian Employee Network). Anyone is welcome to join any network. I was proud to be a member of a few employee networks and found them to be an excellent way to learn from others' perspective and to be an advocate for those who are unheard.

Cons

- The pace is always fast, which can be stressful. There is always a rush to get things done, resulting in errors in judgement.
    - Layoffs in recent years resulted in more work being done by fewer people, so work/life balance suffers.
    - The amount of work makes it difficult to take advantage of the benefits such as working out at the gym, going to school, etc.
    - The company likes to promote from within, but I think they are a bit ageist. I mostly saw young, good looking, employees being promoted.
    - Management is not involved in career development or learning. This might be industry standard, but I found it to be counter intuitive.
    - Departments seem to compete rather than work together to get things done.

Value your employees with tenure. These seem to be the employees that are let go first, probably due to pay. However, they are also the employees who have experience with past mistakes.

Used to be a great culture

Former Employee - Senior Director in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Caribou, retail, pace, fun, friends

Cons

lack of accountability and clear decision making

Imagine sprinting a marathon every day....now you know what it's like to work at Best Buy

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with in my carrier were from Best Buy. Also, decisions are made in hours not weeks and direction is given and expected to be executed on extremely quickly. It's nice not having a lot of red tape to go through to get things done. Great employee discount!

Cons

There is nothing strategic about most initiatives. Everything revolves around being truly tactical. IT drives business, not the other way around. This is the #1 problem of this organization in my opinion. I see no vision or direction from business teams. There is no work/life balance here and there is no concept of locked scope. Priorities change almost daily and then you're given a hard time as to why you didn't deliver everything. There is no concept of a "process" here either. It's truly the wild wild west in terms of IT delivery.

Place value in your employees personal life and let them have one instead of burning out your employees. Have a strategy beyond just "keeping up" with everyone else. Think outside the box and give customers something they can't get everywhere else.

One of the best companies to grow in

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Best Buy for over 15 years and witnessed some incredible change as the company grew from less than 100 stores. I saw so many people start their careers in a store and end up in executive roles - this company rewards its employees for taking risks and getting results.

Cons

As with any large corporation that has seen its share of adversity and personnel cuts, an environment steeped in fear of job loss began to form and behaviors turned negative for a while. I understand this has began to turn more positive again, now that Mr. Jolle has provided some necessary corrections in business strategy and cost controls.

Keep making the tough choices! It might not be fun for some of us, but it keeps paying off.

Goodbye old friend

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, challenging and dynamic problem solving, rarely routine, reasonable benefits

Cons

Recent change in long term benefits rewards only Directors and Officers which in turn reduces long term appeal/commitment for individual contributors and managers, flexible work schedule comes at the cost of an "always on" mentality that leads to evenings and weekend work due to meeting filled traditional work hours

Exciting to see progress post recession, sadly so many veteran employees whose backs the company was built on are no longer employed