Best Buy

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Decent job for being retail, but the company is on the decline so don't expect to make a career out of it.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Employee discount is really nice on certain products (Cost of product plus five percent)
    -You will be a respected employee as long as you put the work in.
    -Fast paced work environment, depending on the department you work in and time of year
    -Pretty much unlimited overtime during the holidays (non-mandatory)

Cons

-Hard to move up unless you're a Best Buy robot.
    -Company seems to be on the decline, I worked at Best Buy for 3 years (Two years in Asset Protection (First year I was part time, second year I got promoted to AP lead.), one in Customer Service) and the company has gone through two restructures in my time there, with supervisors/managers getting laid off each time, supervisors get two weeks of severance per each year they've been employed at Best Buy, managers get 6 months worth. I've had opportunities to step into a supervisor role but declined and looked for better paying jobs elsewhere.
    -Management doesn't always give constructive performance reviews, but this depends on the supervisor individually, you might get lucky and get a decent supervisor
    -Pay is okay for being a retail store, not enough to fully support yourself unless you're a supervisor or manager of you've been there 10+ years
    -Raises kind of blow and are decreasing, I got a 55 cent raise for my first annual review, then for my second annual review I got a 30 cent raise with an even higher performance review. A friend who was the top Geek Squad salesman for two months straight got a 19 cent raise for his annual review, to put it into perspective.
    -Health benefits are severely overpriced
    -No paid time off unless you are a full time employee if I can remember correctly.
    -If you work sales and don't put out outstanding numbers, you're a nobody to most members of leadership, and expect to work less than 15 hours per week (except around the holidays) if you're part time and don't produce. Sad but true.
    -If you work at customer service, I can tell you first hand that it's not a hard position to learn, I mastered it in less than a year and I was training people after my first week, BUT, expect to constantly be fixing other employees' mistakes, not only from your store but other stores in the area.
    -If you work in Asset Protection, expect to be thrown under the bus by just about everyone in the store except other AP associates/some warehouse people (to most people you'll be considered the "idiots at the door"), unless you show that you are willing to put your foot down and not get "bullied" by the more tenured employees. This is important.

-Take more time to spend with employees to improve on their performance instead of just throwing people under the bus when they aren't constantly destroying their ridiculous goals.
    -Realize that people working there have lives outside of work and they aren't Best Buy robots.

Fun company, new and fun products, customers can be very demanding

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People, Culture, Discount, Benefits for Full time and Part time. Always part of the latest in greatest in consumer electronics.

Cons

Leadership varies from store to store. Some stores have extremely talented people keeping the wheels moving while others not so much. It's retail, you are expected to work or be available most holidays. Time and a half is great, and double time and half if your full time and work the holidays.

Promote the talent from within. Make sure the right people are in the right spot to succeed in their skill sets. Pay employees slightly more to be competitive with Apple and Microsoft hourly employees, this will allow you to hire more talented people and hold higher expectations from employees.

Great Peers, bad management

Former Employee - RETAIL SALES SUPERVISOR in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - RETAIL SALES SUPERVISOR in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great starting pay, great coworkers, very flexible work hours.

Cons

3 weeks notice for any time off request, poor top tier leadership (from district level down)

Great place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, great discount, great friends.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep it up!

Always changing atmosphere

Current Employee - Samsung Experience Expert in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Samsung Experience Expert in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Each day is always a different experience. Great customer and employee relationships. Support from leadership.

Cons

Pay can pale in comparison to what is expected. No opportunities for advancement. Reorganizations every few years.

invest more into your line level staff. Pay doesn't need to be extreme, but more to make employees feel valued.

Good people, good oppportunity, good memories.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Usually fast-paced, fun to work with electronics, employee discount, mostly young people, flexible schedule, most customers are good people and many are enjoying to talk to.

Cons

low pay, little upward mobility, managers are overworked and underpaid and therefore unable to provide the kind of support that would be necessary to truly make employees successful.

Pay people more. Consider commissioned sales.

Retail, better than most.

Former Employee - Cashier in Syracuse, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Syracuse, NY

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's usually a good time. It's a good company to work for overall. There is a lot of opportunity to move up the Best Buy ladder and become a manager or more, if you want to. If you're in sales, there are bonuses. They generally treat their employees well.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that they expect you to act like professionals, have the knowledge of professionals, etc., but you aren't paid like a professional. Customers are rude, as with any retail store I suppose. Managers are self-absorbed. I've worked in three Best Buys and it's been true in all three.

Care about your employees more and recognize what they do correctly, rather than focusing on faults, and they might start performing better.

Amazing community

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The teamwork can be amazing at times. Everyone works together to reach a goal and improve on functionality. The benefits are pretty good as well as a good 401k program. The discount is amazing and I have yet to have a better one from any other company. Training is good and sales training was great. If you want to have fun at work, while you work, this would be your best bet.

Cons

Sometimes systems will go down. knowing this happens to all stores at some point, there is a higher number of incidents then most. Numbers are of huge importance and can sometimes bring you down or pressure you to land better sales. Lack of technology to help sell technology is a big one, such as having ipads on the floor to help demo to customers not just at the ipad section of the store. Hours are performance based and if you do not perform well your hours are slashed.

Make a little more time for peer to peer training as well and product training. Remember that employees are people and not just statistics as well.

Best Buy Syracuse NY

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The employee discount is excellent on some items (mostly accessores ie. cables, cases), fun and relaxed atmosphere for the most part, allows for some wiggle room with sales techniques.

Cons

I got frustrated with customers who were computer illiterate. Trying to explain some details of electronic devises to people was pretty much a losing battle. Expect to have to dumb things down a lot for people and explain yourself 10x. I just told people it was magic after a while....

Work harder, complain less. People will respect you more and work harder for you.

Best Buy is Good

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Great Pay check every week, we make good money compared to alot of other companies. Great people to work around, you always seem to find yourself joking, smiling and laughing with the people you work with. Have a lot of fun while being at work, always playing games or having contests to see who can be the best sales person for the day. Sweet employee discount, when you can get product at 5% above cost which works out very nicely. A great opprotunity to get promoted, People can go from a cashier to a supervisor in less then two years if they want to- you really just have to be good at your job (which isn't that hard) and apply and you get promoted and promotions mean way more money!!

Cons

The reconstruction sucks! A lot of good people are losing their jobs

Brad- it is great that you want to make more customer facing labor this time around, but when you redo an operating model i would think twice because you are actually getting rid of good people sometimes- not every supervisor is wonderful, but the ones that are your getting rid of and it will kill your store and companies morale...way to go!!