Best Buy

Updated March 1, 2015
3.2

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly

Pros
  • You get a nice employee discount on the items that you can get for cheap on amazon (in 780 reviews)

• The pay is descent only if you are working for GeekSquad, great discount for employees (in 328 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 217 reviews)

• full time position due to nobody moving in current full-time positions for higher ones (in 199 reviews)

More Highlights

70 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Working at best buy is fun, spending all of your paycheck there after you get it is not

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grafton, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Grafton, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. You will always find people with similar interests. Lots of OJT for sales. Helps build confidence as a new salesman.

Cons

Sometimes its hard to work your hours to your schedule. The pay isn't great at entry level but it will depend on your experience level.

Have more support for your military employees. Performance reviews and raises should be based on individual performance instead of department performance.

Fun place but just a stepping stone

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great discount on merchandise and services, fun group of people to work with

Cons

Terrible holiday hours, its retail.
    Part timers don't get any benefits, no sick time, 401k, insurance etc.

Treat your employees with respect and show some class.

It was fun the first week

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Not a lot. They brought back the employee discount which was nice

Cons

Was promised as many hours as I wanted in the interview but only received minimal

Working at Best Buy

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Oshkosh, WI
    Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Oshkosh, WI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best things about working at Best Buy is the employee discount and accomodations. Discount is 5% above cost on everything, which means you get some stuff for very cheap. Also, a lot of the companies like Sony, Samsung and others give employees special accomodations so we can buy there products for very cheap. Almost always below the employee cost on those items, which is great. You also have to take a lot of learning, so if you actually pay attention while you're doing them you get to learn a lot about all the new technology that's out there.

Cons

The pay is pretty low, especially compared to a lot of other jobs around the area. I don't agree with the small pay raises that you get every year, even though I know it's nice to be getting any raise. They do make up for this with the employee discount, but not everyone likes to take advantage of this.

Keep up positive reinforcement. I come from a store that is typically one of the top in the company and we have a manager that is very good at getting along with all the employees and when he's in a good mood it radiates to everyone one of the sales employees.

The company is growing exponentially!!

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Assistant Store Manager in Brookfield, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best Buy offers a competitive wage, great benefits, and in depth training.

Cons

No complaints to report as of now

Keep up the good work.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Fox Point, WI
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Fox Point, WI

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It was the discount when I started in 2004, then that changed. There accommodations program is nice because you get discounts from other large companies.

Cons

Very long hours for a very small amount of money. They will have a sales staff with the exact same position and experience and they all are getting paid different. If they want to make your life difficult they will change the availability you have to work. Which was acceptable when they hired you but now they want to get rid of you. Working there from Black Friday to New Year's Day is the worst hours ever.

Don't date your subordinates, treat people like you would want to be treated

Fun but the leadership was a little rough at times

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount. Fun workplace enviroment

Cons

turnover in leadership and staff

Better pay for sales consultants.

it is what it is

Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

can be a good place as long as the entire leadership team is focused on the same thing. When the leadership is on a different page, it makes it impossible to correctly do your job.

Cons

if your not part of the "boys club", you put yourself in a position to fail. Favorites are played and there is way to much politics involved. Your performance should stand for itself.

Focus on doing your job. Don't put additional tasks on your managers/supervisors and say its for their development when truly you are wrongfully delegating and adding additional work load. We speak to the iframe and how its important in all aspects to out business however a good portion of the country doesn't follow or truly understand what that's about.

Plenty of growth, though some will only excel through brown nosing.

Former Employee - Product Process Supervisor in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Product Process Supervisor in Appleton, WI

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

At the time the bonus structure was fantastic!

Cons

Sometimes leadership can bring the entire store down.

Trust those at the floor level, they may be under you but they are more closely attune to your customers that you may be.

Company crossed the line and proved they have no value or integrity.

Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Greenfield, WI
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Greenfield, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Taught me the value of customer interaction and how not to treat my employees. Although this comes from a very negative experience, it is something I look back on many years later.

Cons

Store operations and management do not value their employees and treat them as disposable. They do not value their customers and would rather lie and cheat them to edge out a few extra cents. My story comes from a situation in which a customer wished to purchase a computer. As helpful as I could be, the service plan was just not in the budget for the customer. I was instructed by my department manager to inform the customer that the computer was not in stock and drop the sale. Reluctantly I did something I promised I would never do again and turned the customer away. The customer walked around the isles and found the computer new and in a box on the top shelf of an isle and demanded that we sell it to them. Upset with myself, I agreed to sell the computer to the customer and helped them out to the car. When I returned the General Manager was waiting for me and informed me that if I sold another one of them without a service plan he would have no choice but to let me go. To this day I still have several "customer service" awards from Best Buy and was proud of my accomplishments. I couldn't believe he would threaten me for doing the right thing. I looked at my manager and apologized, handed my name badge in and walked out of the store to never return.

Employee retention and development, are the key elements to the strength on any company.