Best Buy

Best Buy Reviews in Wisconsin

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly

Hubert Joly

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of(in 672 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with(in 107 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare(in 162 reviews)

• To move to full-time you need to be numbers focused ALL OF THE TIME(in 158 reviews)

59 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They Love there employees

Home Theater Supervisor (Current Employee) Green Bay, WI

ProsGreat Benefits, Leadership is very evolved in performance development. You get recognition for ever great thing you do and can get rewards for it as well. This company really likes to take care of there employees.

ConsFull time employement means you will almost never have a weekend off unless you request it in advance. Must have full open availability.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork Hard, Think of this job as your own business and take care of your department and you will grow fast within the company. Dedicate what you want into the company and you will see that in return

Learn to swim.

Magnolia Home Theater Systems Designer (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsPretty good training, nice discound on products and services, good heath insurance options, tuition assistance.

Consthe work culture is purely about performance and personality. If you only have one or the other, you better make friends in hight places.

Frequent "re-structuring" causes management movement and difficult developement. If you can make it as a sales manager for more than 3-5 years, you are doing good, but surely not safe.

Work life balance can be challenging if you want to succeed and make it a career.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to make it, focus on training your team. Rely on external resources. keep it fun or your staff will passively revolt.

Great Place for Experience

Best Buy Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wausau, WI

ProsFlexible, Ability to gain product knowledge and experience.

ConsCompensation, training programs aren't sufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate better incentive programs for sales associates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

lots of work for low pay

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) Madison, WI

Prosjob can be fun to work at lots of fun people and fun topics

Consnot paid well even when you sell alot

A great introduction to selling, if that is your goal.

Home Theater Sales Associate (Former Employee) Appleton, WI

ProsGenerous discount on certain items, lots of ways to improve product knowledge, and generally good people at your own level to work with.

ConsMicromanagement by the senior leaders to the point where when you walk in the door you have one of them on you to do something before you even punch in. A focus on sales numbers that put a commissioned based position to shame. Management being so self absorbed to think that they are the most important person. Management pulling you off of a sale to help in a department that isn't your current area.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what is more important: numbers or employees.

Fun, young atmosphere

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Stevens Point, WI

ProsThey were pretty flexible with my schedule and needing to have days off. I always had fun co-workers and got along great with upper management, and it was a very social environment. I made a lot of friends there, so it wasn't a burden going to work. Holiday parties were always fun, and even though holidays in retail are crazy they are exciting too because there is a lot going on.

ConsVery sales driven. Management definitely wants to see results. They push selling attachments and the insurance plans, so you need to be comfortable selling those things if you want to do well. Pay wasn't that great. Raises were small. I never wanted to become a supervisor or manager, but for those that did, they had to suck up big time to management.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't burn your good people out.

Change is the only constant

Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsAll your fun electronic toys in one place whats not to love.

ConsLabor is always pretty tight, very numbers driven environment. They say the focus is the customer but it has turned to be mostly about the numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementBalance it out, put a few more blue shirts on the floor to improve the customer experience.

Get with the times

Conectivity Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) Wauwatosa, WI

ProsDecent pay, great discount, great employees

ConsExpensive health insurance, a lot of redundancy with leadership, lack of focus, management is too busy flirting with the cashiers and going out drinking than running their business. A lot of failure is considered "opportunity" they never get rid of the managers that check out mentally.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow your leaders. Talk to your line level employees. Your leadership or lack there of is killing your business.

Fast paced

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsGreat people to work with, great company

Consself-entitled customers, customers who treat retail employees like crap

Advice to Senior ManagementStop opening on Thanksgiving

Good place to work for sales experience

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Appleton, WI

Prosworking with new products and the people

ConsWork life balance is tough. NO weekends off unless requested.

Advice to Senior Managementrotate some weekends off for your store manager team.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!