Best Care Home Health

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Brooklyn, NY

ProsThey Care about their employees

ConsCan't leave until all patients are covered by Health Aides

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Job

Lower than average pay, minimal qualifications for staff, and other sketchy-at-best policies.

Personal Care Attendant/Home Health Aide (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsNot much good to say. I am mostly let on my own to do my job, but most employees aren't as responsible as I am. Maybe that's why I'm left alone - they trust me. They do seem to be slowly making some improvements. I don't hold anything against them, it's just a poor situation. I have seen some improvements to meet government regulations since I started, but they still have many areas in which to improve upon.

ConsI earn about $5/hr less than the local average for my position, yet I am the highest paid employee in my position at the company. Most of the staff doesn't speak English, which irritates many patients who simply can't communicate with their care givers. The employees who do speak English are usually the laziest and most uneducated (not even a GED) - something about getting government funds for hiring from certain groups - which leads to poor care for patients. Absolutely no benefits are offered (except for office personnel). Vacation for PCAs/HHAs who work full-time is only 40 hours per year, but most aides can't get those hours. Communication is non-existent. Employees are required to sign a wavier forfeiting their overtime if they do have a patient(s) that give them over 48 hrs per week (overtime doesn't start until after 48 hours any how).
    They don't seem to keep up on what is required except what the state tracks and informs them to keep up with to stay in business. Government required raise for our position three months ago and no one has received it yet (friends at other companies got theirs three months ago). I no longer believe as I once did that they intentionally try to take advantage of their employees, but rather I think they just don't have a clue. They seemed to be clueless about HIPPA until I said something to someone and then suddenly they started making changes to meet those Federal regulations.
    Overall, I think that their low standards in hiring and their lack of quality in training, compensation, and maintaining of their employees leads them to provide poor service to customers who are generally unable to defend their rights and are at the mercy of what kind of employee is assigned to them.
    If you're desperate for work, it's better than nothing I guess, but there are zero reasons to keep good employees. The only advantages they have are employee and patient ignorance of their rights.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise your hiring standards for your PCA/HHA employees (At least a high school diploma, speak English, can think for themselves, and are dependable). Make it worth the while of those who are intelligent and capable to stay with the company - pay a competitive wage, two weeks vacation for all employees who regularly work over 40 hours per week, and let aides work over 40 hours if it is needed by the patents and they want to work that much but also pay them the overtime they deserve starting after 40 hours, not 48. If you follow these guidelines, and have staff that are respectful and proactive in caring for their patients, then the patients will be happier and they might even improve. As a result those happy patients will recommend your services to others and your business will grow, increasing your profits, and reducing the stress in your business operations.

Worked for Best Care Home Health? Contribute to the Community!