Best Doctors

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

2.8

David Seligman

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good (though that can be relative to your specific manager) (in 6 reviews)

• Continual company growth makes for lots of opportunity for growth and advancement within the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senoir management team is a narcisstic clique and all they care about is how they "appear to the outside world" (in 7 reviews)

• The cons at this company definitely outweigh the pros, and, anyone who has written one of these 5 star reviews is obviously one of their HR staff (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Lots of new opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

Pros

A lot of new opportunities, several new positions have been created in recent months to improve job satisfaction and the quality of work being done. Great benefits and a lot of employee events, we just had a summer outing with great food and activities and everyone had a great time getting to know each other. The company is focused on helping people and every employee is passionate about the mission. I'm excited about where the company is going.

Cons

A lot of change is challenging. New management and keeping up with a fast growing company can be hard and there are a lot of new employees coming in making it hard to keep up with the work until new people fully trained.

Run away from here if you are developer, PM, or QA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

* Vacation Time
    * Nice people
    * Average pay

Cons

* This is most incapable development team I have ever seen. They are not willing to work with the business to implement what they need. The management constantly try to do less work and walk away from complex problems.
    * Executive team is very pompous and constantly verbally abuse their teams.
    * Many people at the Director level are not prepared to be in the role.
    * HR creates fake reviews in glassdoor. What else can I say?

What a buzzkill

Current Employee - Nunya  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Nunya in Boston, MA

Pros

Have absolutely nothing to list as a pro any longer - should have checked with me six months ago. at least there were a few minor things then.

Cons

So, what is the buzzkill? The problem is that I thought I was coming on here to offer my 2 cents so everyone knows what a joke this place is, but it seems like the secret is out. The fake reviews from the company are cute, but no one is stupid here, so why do you bother? Take all the negatives you have read in all the bad reviews.. squish them into a big ball.. and then throw it against the wall. What sticks? All of it. The poor things that folks are saying on here - it is all true. Absolutely no one wants to be here anymore, and at least 75% are actively looking for other work. Be smart.. don't interview.. ever... you are better off working at a McDonald's with a boss that beats you with a spatula all day.

Advice? Why? Management knows what is going on. They know they every key employee that hasn't already left is actively searching for other work to get the hell out. Pretty soon it will be just all of you and you can all sit around and scratch your empty heads while you try to pass the blame elsewhere.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Downward spiral

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

Pros

Of course the mission is great- but that mission has gotten burried under all the incopetancies, system challenges, and BLUE CROSS. i was hired by 2 great managers, both of whom have left the role. the one left i dont know well but dont hear good things about her

Cons

Management: when our previous director and VP left, we were all hopeful. we had 2 great managers, 1 so so, and a new VP that was super friendly. the director brought in (from blue cross) seemed nice enough. it quickly became apparent that neither of them a)know what we do b)know how to figure it out c)know how to boost morale. one of the favorite managers left for another role, and it was a huge loss. the second manger just left 1.5 months later, with no where to go, just to get out. the company did not seem to care/regard either departure, and someone made a cake to bring in for the last day as the company would not even approve a cake. that really sums it up. i am sticking around for a bit as i need a job, but am actively searching for one

take a long hard look at who is leaving and why. be honest with yourself and your staff. take a few moments to figure out what we do, how we do it and learn from us. before you know, you will be the only ones left

STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE!!!!!

Pros

My immediate team in the Boson office

Cons

First let me start by saying that, when I was hired at BD I loved it. They had a great benefits package, ok pay levels, and the team I worked with was fantastic! I was very enthusiastic about this company and loved working here. That is, until a couple of months ago. A new manager was brought in to be our supervisor from another location. This manager has taken away one of the biggest work-life balancing perks for our section of the department by removing the ability to work from home. We went from having a FANTASTIC manager here in this office to now having a micro-manager working remotely from another office.

Another problem at BD is that they lie. They say there is "great growth potential" but everyone knows that is just BS. Just try going for a different position, even within your own department, and see what happens. They string you along, hire someone else, and don't even have the decency to tell you before you find out through the grapevine that someone else has been chosen. The Senior Management at this place is a joke. They are so far detached from reality and how miserable their entire staff is. Instead of giving pay raises and bonuses that would actually help employees, they waste money on outings and drinking in the office on Thursdays. If you ask around, you would see that people think their most recent raise was a joke, especially considering how much the health insurance contribution went up at the same time.....what raise??

I saw another review on here where they referenced the Senior Management section of the office as the "Creepy Corner". This is true. They call it that themselves and think it is funny. How sad is it that your own employees are so afraid to come down to that section of the office because of how they feel about you?

Lastly, this company is VERY top heavy. There are far too many VP's, Directors, and Managers within a department and not enough ACTUAL staff that can do the work. You have several managers/directors/vp's that don't believe in working and pass all of their responsibilities down to the minions that are underappreciated, overworked, and underpaid.

I would have given a ZERO star rating, but Glassdoor wouldn't let me!!

Get a clue on how to successfully run a business. Cut out a lot of the top heaviness and hire more support staff to get all of the word done. Bring back the work-from-home option for ALL employees to cut out resentment and hostility and stop allowing newcomers to change the dynamic of the staff and workplace.

Best Doctors is the BEST!

Pros

High energy, great mission, smart people, tremendous service. Excellent pay and benefits. Best Doctors is the real deal, unlike some healthcare companies that are full of promises and hot air!

Cons

None so far...it is a fabulous company that provides a superb service that saves lives and improves the healthcare quality of thousands of people...

The cradle will fall

Pros

Overall the people are amazing, the environment is challenging and regardless of your position in the company you feel like you are a part of something that is positively effecting the lives of so many people. Some departments really have a team approach to things, but this is not a company-wide mentality. Some managers have a true passion for what they do and appreciate the people under them, also not a company-wide attitude.

There is a lot of opportunity to jump onto new projects and my resume got a great boost

Cons

Management has a really big problem on their hands -- they don't want to acknowledge the fact that they are the problem. The wrong people are brought in from the outside to manage and puts no effort in considering existing team members or training them up to be considered for the opportunity. The company puts a spin on it as "we really need someone who has an outside, non bias opinion of what we do and how we do it so we can improve our operation overall." Seems like a logical argument, right? Well it is the car salesman pitch. It is a whole lot of BS. In my experience they hire the people based on only whether or not the superior manager can have someone they can easily intimidate and who will not push back. So there is a barrier between the minions who do all the work and the people who make the decisions. All this does is stifle creativity and open the exit door for people who know they deserve better. This is a problem from the top down and no one in a position to do something about it will speak up.

The effect this problem has is not just on the fact that amazing people leave for better opportunities, but it also negatively impacts your own growth and development. While you are there you believe that you have a real chance at being a voice that will be heard. That you are an important member of a team. When you commit to an organization and find that you wasted a couple years on a hope for a real career development opportunity only to realize no one was ever listening, with the exception of the people (or person) who were directly above you and they purposefully held you back out of fear for their own job security, you have to come to terms with the fact that your career path was being jeopardized and stifled. And when do you realize this is happening? Well it takes a while. You lose faith in your team leaders and then you realize that it is a global problem. Then you start looking for a new opportunity. You know you are amazing because you get a lot of interest in your resume, but you wait for the perfect opportunity. When you find it and you are asked "How is it that you have grown your position so much and been on all these projects, but you were never promoted?" It is a blow to everything you feel you have accomplished when someone so far out away from your world forces you to realized you were never being acknowledged for any of what you considered to be accomplishments.

Learn a few lessons from the amazing people who have left. Circulate those exit interviews around. You will see a trend. You are losing the faith of your employees and the commitment they have in the company will not outlast the feeling of being cast aside.

Don't get comfortable, you are a commodity.

Former Employee - Member Services Representative  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Member Services Representative in Boston, MA

Pros

Pay is above average, benefits are good

Cons

Lack of good management, seems like the titles a newly hired manager carries are more important than their work ethics and decisions; behind the times in caring for their employees or being honest and up-front in their dealings with their employees.

Appreciate your good employees that give you years rather than tossing them away when a new "temporary" manager comes in.

Non-stop Turmoils!

Pros

Benefits, Location, Time Flexibility, Building Facilities

Cons

Poor management, political incidents among upper management

When I started initially I ignored the fact that the company was having a quick turnout, people stayed for a few months and then left. There were a lot of political incidents. Then after working there more than a year,unfortunately,I also became a victim of incompetent management and unavoidable political incident. Sadly, I couldn't get help from anyone, including from those who were in the team who supposed to help distraught and conflicted employees. My advice to senior management is there are a lot of good employees left voluntarily or involuntarily, find out who the good employees are and protect them from bad management and political incidents! Good employees are your best assets!

Terrible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Better than unemployment, if your skin is thick and you keep looking for a job.

Cons

The executive officers call where they sit the Creepy Corner (even in all employee meetings). If that doesn't say enough read on.

These guys are constantly and consistently manipulating those around them. They want to be surrounded by yes men and want only for everyone to line up and do as told. Turnover at the manager, director and VP level in my department was so high that we had complete turnover twice in 2 years. We worked ourselves into the ground and then the wind blew and they decided it was time to bring in a different crew. There's been no recognition for a job well done (certainly better than ever before). Instead of allowing their hard working employees a chance to breath they just pile on more ridiculous deadlines and "initiatives". The new management thinks they're above this treatment. Wait until the honeymoon ends!

HR is a joke. Everyone knows you shouldn't go there unless you're being let go. If you work at Best Doctors, you'll have your chance... just like everyone before you. Don't think you can just get through it with hard work and dedication. They'll still fire you.

Lastly, I really don't think an all employee meeting is the place for a candidate for governor to speak (or one trying to get on the ticket). Maybe it's just me.

Leave. Maybe the board should treat you the way we've all been treated.

Worked for Best Doctors? Contribute to the Community!