Best Doctors Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.6

David Seligman

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good (though that can be relative to your specific manager) (in 6 reviews)

• Continual company growth makes for lots of opportunity for growth and advancement within the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senoir management team is a narcisstic clique and all they care about is how they "appear to the outside world" (in 7 reviews)

• The cons at this company definitely outweigh the pros, and, anyone who has written one of these 5 star reviews is obviously one of their HR staff (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Not good for the long term

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of PTO, wonderful co-workers and a very friendly, family type atmosphere. When I first got to Best Doctors a year ago, I was very excited to be there. It seemed like a lot of people were leaving around the same time, but they were going on to bigger and better opportunities so I was still in new job heaven. The people I worked with were all great in their own ways and I looked forward to coming to work everyday...Until March.

Cons

They moved about two thirds of the staff from Boston to Quincy and employees started to leave almost instantly, on all levels. Directors, specialists, mangers and coordinators until everyone was just drowning in too much work and the vacant positions weren't being filled. After new management from Blue Cross was brought in, it became apparent that the company was losing it's focus on core values but I'm not even sure what the new priorities were. We were asked to fill out a detailed employee satisfaction survey that was never followed up on. And promotions are based more on how much someone likes you than the quality of your work. The culture has changed and I no longer feel valued, but I don't believe they care about that anymore. Open positions are hard to come by despite the seemingly constant outpour of staff they've experienced lately.

-Accept some responsibility and own up to your mistakes, stop telling people they're wrong when they don't agree with you.
    -Make your employees feel valued again so you don't lose all the good ones.
    -Pay your employees better and provide more growth potential without strictly focusing on creating manager and supervisor roles.
    -Get a better understanding of what the people below you actually do and how they do it. And don't condescend them.

Nurse Advocate

Current Employee - RN Member Advocate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - RN Member Advocate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from Home
    Nothing more that comes to mind

Cons

The computer platform that is the crux of how the company works is broken. Many, many work arounds. Many changes in management and culture. Not the same job as years ago. Company expects way too much for such a small salary.
    Benefits need to improve drastically

Training, fix the platform. Go back to the culture that started the company

Worst Doctors!

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great peers
    -Reasonable starting salaries
    -Good office location
    -PTO

Cons

-No personal growth or career path
    -Little job security
    -Low morale
    -Extreme turnover (quitting and firings)
    -Poor leadership
    -No communication or transparency

There is little to say here that hasn't been said time and time again. Management has little direction and no concern for employees, and it is transparent to those in the cubicles. It is safe to say that 75% or more of the staff are openly looking for a new job (and HR knows), the employee satisfaction survey even asked.

This place has only gotten worse over the last few years since I joined, though it probably is not at rock bottom just yet. If anyone had doubts about a turnaround, the way the latest firings were handled showed nothing changes. Where else can you go to a meeting and your first thought about late attendees are "did they get fired, or quit?" and be right more times than not.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Lots of new opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for less than a year

Pros

A lot of new opportunities, several new positions have been created in recent months to improve job satisfaction and the quality of work being done. Great benefits and a lot of employee events, we just had a summer outing with great food and activities and everyone had a great time getting to know each other. The company is focused on helping people and every employee is passionate about the mission. I'm excited about where the company is going.

Cons

A lot of change is challenging. New management and keeping up with a fast growing company can be hard and there are a lot of new employees coming in making it hard to keep up with the work until new people fully trained.

Went downhill fast and stayed there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Best Doctors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent salary, the people on the ground doing the work are mostly great. There's a good purpose and hearing feedback from people you have helped makes you feel good.

Cons

When I started at Best Doctors in 2012, I loved my job. For once I was in a place where I could see myself staying for years. My coworkers were great, and my boss was great, someone who respected my contributions and cared about my development and what I wanted to do.

Unfortunately, all of that changed at the beginning of 2014. My boss was pushed out because of a major mistake the C-suite (but his group was the one actually dealing with the repercussions). To add insult to injury, the CEO held a meeting where he claimed it was about "character." Then, they moved a majority of the office to Quincy, making us share a building with college students. In the same meeting where he talked about "character," the CEO said anyone who didn't like the new office could leave.

The new management they brought from BCBS wanted to charge into doing things their way before learning what we actually do. Instead, they were more focused on bringing in all their former coworkers from BCBS; when I left, another had been hired, and since then they have brought someone else from BCBS. They have no respect for the people on the ground, as exhibited when they asked one of the best managers in the entire organization to leave immediately without saying goodbye to her whole team when she gave her notice.

The people actually doing the work, I think most of us loved what we did. We knew our job actually helped people. But the management at Best Doctors is driving those people away.

LISTEN to feedback from employees, or good people leaving will not stop. Revisiting benefits could not hurt either--tuition reimbursement (better than what's offered right now) and health incentives are desired.

Change is constant, never for the better.

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Boston and Quincy locations are near the T
    - Free parking in Quincy office
    - Decent PTO policy
    - Casual dress code in the Qunicy office

Cons

The company keeps repeating the same patterns. Look back six months to a year ago - dissatisfied employees cite the leadership as the main problem. Recent reviews are still citing leadership as the main problem even though an entire new batch of leaders have been brought into Operations from a monolith insurance company. Given how low morale already was, bringing leaders in that have never worked anywhere else other than a bloated insurance company was a pretty terrible idea. What we needed was new leaders that were strong in complex operations, turning around struggling teams, building trust, and boosting morale. What we got was the opposite. The new leadership didn’t know how to come in and listen, build relationships, engender trust, and show that they understand what the company does. The result is that good people have been driven out of Operations and out of the organization. The new leaders should not have been hired into roles that they aren't qualified for. It’s not fair to anyone and has certainly brought us to a new low.

The Board should look at the CEO and President level and assess whether or not they are right for the what the company needs right now. HR should have a permanent presence in the Quincy office and much more involvement with employee relations. They could help find the underlying cause of the leadership problems and help get them fixed. HR could also help make sure that new hires being brought in from the leadership’s former company meet the minimum qualifications for the roles they are being brought in to do. This may involve helping redefine job descriptions/requirements. Also, the CEO should not singlehandedly make leadership hiring decisions and should be more hands off on general business decisions.

Run away from here if you are developer, PM, or QA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Vacation Time
    * Nice people
    * Average pay

Cons

* This is most incapable development team I have ever seen. They are not willing to work with the business to implement what they need. The management constantly try to do less work and walk away from complex problems.
    * Executive team is very pompous and constantly verbally abuse their teams.
    * Many people at the Director level are not prepared to be in the role.
    * HR creates fake reviews in glassdoor. What else can I say?

What a buzzkill

Current Employee - Nunya  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Nunya in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for less than a year

Pros

Have absolutely nothing to list as a pro any longer - should have checked with me six months ago. at least there were a few minor things then.

Cons

So, what is the buzzkill? The problem is that I thought I was coming on here to offer my 2 cents so everyone knows what a joke this place is, but it seems like the secret is out. The fake reviews from the company are cute, but no one is stupid here, so why do you bother? Take all the negatives you have read in all the bad reviews.. squish them into a big ball.. and then throw it against the wall. What sticks? All of it. The poor things that folks are saying on here - it is all true. Absolutely no one wants to be here anymore, and at least 75% are actively looking for other work. Be smart.. don't interview.. ever... you are better off working at a McDonald's with a boss that beats you with a spatula all day.

Advice? Why? Management knows what is going on. They know they every key employee that hasn't already left is actively searching for other work to get the hell out. Pretty soon it will be just all of you and you can all sit around and scratch your empty heads while you try to pass the blame elsewhere.

Downward spiral

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Of course the mission is great- but that mission has gotten burried under all the incopetancies, system challenges, and BLUE CROSS. i was hired by 2 great managers, both of whom have left the role. the one left i dont know well but dont hear good things about her

Cons

Management: when our previous director and VP left, we were all hopeful. we had 2 great managers, 1 so so, and a new VP that was super friendly. the director brought in (from blue cross) seemed nice enough. it quickly became apparent that neither of them a)know what we do b)know how to figure it out c)know how to boost morale. one of the favorite managers left for another role, and it was a huge loss. the second manger just left 1.5 months later, with no where to go, just to get out. the company did not seem to care/regard either departure, and someone made a cake to bring in for the last day as the company would not even approve a cake. that really sums it up. i am sticking around for a bit as i need a job, but am actively searching for one

take a long hard look at who is leaving and why. be honest with yourself and your staff. take a few moments to figure out what we do, how we do it and learn from us. before you know, you will be the only ones left

STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE!!!!!

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My immediate team in the Boson office

Cons

First let me start by saying that, when I was hired at BD I loved it. They had a great benefits package, ok pay levels, and the team I worked with was fantastic! I was very enthusiastic about this company and loved working here. That is, until a couple of months ago. A new manager was brought in to be our supervisor from another location. This manager has taken away one of the biggest work-life balancing perks for our section of the department by removing the ability to work from home. We went from having a FANTASTIC manager here in this office to now having a micro-manager working remotely from another office.

Another problem at BD is that they lie. They say there is "great growth potential" but everyone knows that is just BS. Just try going for a different position, even within your own department, and see what happens. They string you along, hire someone else, and don't even have the decency to tell you before you find out through the grapevine that someone else has been chosen. The Senior Management at this place is a joke. They are so far detached from reality and how miserable their entire staff is. Instead of giving pay raises and bonuses that would actually help employees, they waste money on outings and drinking in the office on Thursdays. If you ask around, you would see that people think their most recent raise was a joke, especially considering how much the health insurance contribution went up at the same time.....what raise??

I saw another review on here where they referenced the Senior Management section of the office as the "Creepy Corner". This is true. They call it that themselves and think it is funny. How sad is it that your own employees are so afraid to come down to that section of the office because of how they feel about you?

Lastly, this company is VERY top heavy. There are far too many VP's, Directors, and Managers within a department and not enough ACTUAL staff that can do the work. You have several managers/directors/vp's that don't believe in working and pass all of their responsibilities down to the minions that are underappreciated, overworked, and underpaid.

I would have given a ZERO star rating, but Glassdoor wouldn't let me!!

Get a clue on how to successfully run a business. Cut out a lot of the top heaviness and hire more support staff to get all of the word done. Bring back the work-from-home option for ALL employees to cut out resentment and hostility and stop allowing newcomers to change the dynamic of the staff and workplace.

Worked for Best Doctors? Contribute to the Community!