Best Doctors

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014
2.7

David Seligman

Pros
  • Work-life balance is very good (though that can be relative to your specific manager) (in 5 reviews)

• Continual company growth makes for lots of opportunity for growth and advancement within the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • leadership and management team can improve on managing employees (in 7 reviews)

• Senior management really need some improvement (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

I love the company mission

Current Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location and good benefits

Cons

So much change that it makes it hard to keep up.

Please reward your employees more!!!

Insurance operations intern

Former Employee - Insurance Operations in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Operations in Miami, FL

I worked at Best Doctors as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great company and nice environment.

Cons

Not a paid position/ internship.

A Rough Two Years But have Cautious Hope For The Future

Current Employee - RN Member Advocate in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - RN Member Advocate in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. The ability to work remote.
    2. Depending upon your manager and division- one is not micromanaged. This is entirely dependent on where you work within the company.
    3. Good PTO.
    4. Interesting work.
    5. The company is working to correct its mistakes, while there is positive talk, it is the actions that will determine the success or failure of this company.

Cons

1. Terrible management decisions resulted in loss of focus and excessive turnover.
    2. Many managers set unreal expectations forcing many to leave in order to preserve their lives and family life.
    3. A very reactive not proactive management team- over the past two years, decisions were punitive and not focused on building a strong team.
    4. Very poor communication.
    5. Career advancement is poor. If you are satisfied with your career progress at this point in your life, it is not bad. If you are looking for advancement, look elsewhere. The company promotes from outside sources.
    6. Will give the company time to turn around but have started search for new employment.

1. Make a commited effort to turn this company around. Develop a plan to achieve your goals and not change course every three months.
    2. Respect your employees- they are valuable and wish to do a great job. Respect that they work hard and that they have a life outside of work.
    3. Improve communication.
    4. Invest in staff development and programs to optimize productivity without demanding excessively long hours.

Nurse Advocate

Current Employee - RN Member Advocate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - RN Member Advocate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from Home
    Nothing more that comes to mind

Cons

The computer platform that is the crux of how the company works is broken. Many, many work arounds. Many changes in management and culture. Not the same job as years ago. Company expects way too much for such a small salary.
    Benefits need to improve drastically

Training, fix the platform. Go back to the culture that started the company

Not good for the long term

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of PTO, wonderful co-workers and a very friendly, family type atmosphere. When I first got to Best Doctors a year ago, I was very excited to be there. It seemed like a lot of people were leaving around the same time, but they were going on to bigger and better opportunities so I was still in new job heaven. The people I worked with were all great in their own ways and I looked forward to coming to work everyday...Until March.

Cons

They moved about two thirds of the staff from Boston to Quincy and employees started to leave almost instantly, on all levels. Directors, specialists, mangers and coordinators until everyone was just drowning in too much work and the vacant positions weren't being filled. After new management from Blue Cross was brought in, it became apparent that the company was losing it's focus on core values but I'm not even sure what the new priorities were. We were asked to fill out a detailed employee satisfaction survey that was never followed up on. And promotions are based more on how much someone likes you than the quality of your work. The culture has changed and I no longer feel valued, but I don't believe they care about that anymore. Open positions are hard to come by despite the seemingly constant outpour of staff they've experienced lately.

-Accept some responsibility and own up to your mistakes, stop telling people they're wrong when they don't agree with you.
    -Make your employees feel valued again so you don't lose all the good ones.
    -Pay your employees better and provide more growth potential without strictly focusing on creating manager and supervisor roles.
    -Get a better understanding of what the people below you actually do and how they do it. And don't condescend them.

Worst Doctors!

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great peers
    -Reasonable starting salaries
    -Good office location
    -PTO

Cons

-No personal growth or career path
    -Little job security
    -Low morale
    -Extreme turnover (quitting and firings)
    -Poor leadership
    -No communication or transparency

There is little to say here that hasn't been said time and time again. Management has little direction and no concern for employees, and it is transparent to those in the cubicles. It is safe to say that 75% or more of the staff are openly looking for a new job (and HR knows), the employee satisfaction survey even asked.

This place has only gotten worse over the last few years since I joined, though it probably is not at rock bottom just yet. If anyone had doubts about a turnaround, the way the latest firings were handled showed nothing changes. Where else can you go to a meeting and your first thought about late attendees are "did they get fired, or quit?" and be right more times than not.

Run away from here if you are developer, PM, or QA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Vacation Time
    * Nice people
    * Average pay

Cons

* This is most incapable development team I have ever seen. They are not willing to work with the business to implement what they need. The management constantly try to do less work and walk away from complex problems.
    * Executive team is very pompous and constantly verbally abuse their teams.
    * Many people at the Director level are not prepared to be in the role.
    * HR creates fake reviews in glassdoor. What else can I say?

Great Company, Lots of new opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of new opportunities, several new positions have been created in recent months to improve job satisfaction and the quality of work being done. Great benefits and a lot of employee events, we just had a summer outing with great food and activities and everyone had a great time getting to know each other. The company is focused on helping people and every employee is passionate about the mission. I'm excited about where the company is going.

Cons

A lot of change is challenging. New management and keeping up with a fast growing company can be hard and there are a lot of new employees coming in making it hard to keep up with the work until new people fully trained.

Went downhill fast and stayed there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Best Doctors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent salary, the people on the ground doing the work are mostly great. There's a good purpose and hearing feedback from people you have helped makes you feel good.

Cons

When I started at Best Doctors in 2012, I loved my job. For once I was in a place where I could see myself staying for years. My coworkers were great, and my boss was great, someone who respected my contributions and cared about my development and what I wanted to do.

Unfortunately, all of that changed at the beginning of 2014. My boss was pushed out because of a major mistake the C-suite (but his group was the one actually dealing with the repercussions). To add insult to injury, the CEO held a meeting where he claimed it was about "character." Then, they moved a majority of the office to Quincy, making us share a building with college students. In the same meeting where he talked about "character," the CEO said anyone who didn't like the new office could leave.

The new management they brought from BCBS wanted to charge into doing things their way before learning what we actually do. Instead, they were more focused on bringing in all their former coworkers from BCBS; when I left, another had been hired, and since then they have brought someone else from BCBS. They have no respect for the people on the ground, as exhibited when they asked one of the best managers in the entire organization to leave immediately without saying goodbye to her whole team when she gave her notice.

The people actually doing the work, I think most of us loved what we did. We knew our job actually helped people. But the management at Best Doctors is driving those people away.

LISTEN to feedback from employees, or good people leaving will not stop. Revisiting benefits could not hurt either--tuition reimbursement (better than what's offered right now) and health incentives are desired.

Change is constant, never for the better.

I have been working at Best Doctors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Boston and Quincy locations are near the T
    - Free parking in Quincy office
    - Decent PTO policy
    - Casual dress code in the Qunicy office

Cons

The company keeps repeating the same patterns. Look back six months to a year ago - dissatisfied employees cite the leadership as the main problem. Recent reviews are still citing leadership as the main problem even though an entire new batch of leaders have been brought into Operations from a monolith insurance company. Given how low morale already was, bringing leaders in that have never worked anywhere else other than a bloated insurance company was a pretty terrible idea. What we needed was new leaders that were strong in complex operations, turning around struggling teams, building trust, and boosting morale. What we got was the opposite. The new leadership didn’t know how to come in and listen, build relationships, engender trust, and show that they understand what the company does. The result is that good people have been driven out of Operations and out of the organization. The new leaders should not have been hired into roles that they aren't qualified for. It’s not fair to anyone and has certainly brought us to a new low.

The Board should look at the CEO and President level and assess whether or not they are right for the what the company needs right now. HR should have a permanent presence in the Quincy office and much more involvement with employee relations. They could help find the underlying cause of the leadership problems and help get them fixed. HR could also help make sure that new hires being brought in from the leadership’s former company meet the minimum qualifications for the roles they are being brought in to do. This may involve helping redefine job descriptions/requirements. Also, the CEO should not singlehandedly make leadership hiring decisions and should be more hands off on general business decisions.