Best Friends Animal Society

www.bestfriends.org

Best Friends Animal Society Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Best Friends Animal Society – “Kanab Winter Wonderland”

Best Friends Animal Society – “Kanab Winter Wonderland”

Gregory Castle

Best Friends is an AWESOME place to work!

ProsBefore I came to Best Friends, I always had trouble finding an organization that I really believed in and that I felt like I belonged. I usually left every 3-4 years looking for something better. Once I came to Best Friends, nearly, 10 years ago, I knew I was home. I love the work we do, the people who do it, and the Founders who created it all. We have heart, whether some choose to see it or not.

ConsThe remote location was a challenge in the beginning but I've gotten used to it and not having a Super Target nearby is offset by being around people who love animals as much as I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe've come a long way since I've been here…keep up the good work achieving our mission while preserving the flame.

Horribly mis-managed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are retired, (can work for free), can work around continuing chaos while keeping your mouth shut, then this is the place for you.

ConsProtocols change every 20 minutes. Management "restructures" every 90 days. Supervisors ignore staff for the most part. If you eat meat, don't let anyone know.

Advice to Senior ManagementPointless, as management does not take advice.

Dismal Organization Run On Fear And Brainwashing.

Animal Caregiver (Former Employee) Kanab, UT

ProsWorking with the animals who otherwise may have not been given a second chance.

ConsBest Friends uses the "sanctuary' and canyon as a carrot to dangle in front of potential high donors and future employees. Once hired, you quickly realize that employees are disposable and treated as such. The moto is, 'if you don't like it-there's the door.' Care givers are expected to handle an unreasonable work load with a smile on their faces, all the while catering to the volunteers who have the potential of digging deep into their wallets for large donations. If you are found uttering an opinion that BF does not want the public to know...those have found themselves no longer employed with out explanation. The town of Kanab is remote to say the least and the 'locals' are not in support of the 'hill dwellers/best frienders' for good reason, Best Friends has no interest and will not help the local community animals- their only interest lies in what they refer to as being the most recognizable ''brand name' in the business. Do NOT except a position with this company! Over and over, people come from far and wide to give their heart and soul to the animals and this organization, only to be left in the middle of the desert broke, lost and scratching their way home. The "positive"reviews from May of 2014, suspiciously come after HR has learned of Glass Door.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement could benefit from treating employees with respect and value rather than the next set of 'numbers' just hired to take orders.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well run, growing organization. Extremely dedicated staff & management to the care and well being of animals everywhere.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kanab, UT

ProsI'm always saddened when the negativity and mistruths of a few, tarnish the good and honorable work of so many...

I no longer work at Best Friends so I have no motivation to sugar coat the facts. As with any organization, especially those that have experienced the growth that Best Friends has, there are always issues and there will always be room for improvement. In my 8 years at Best Friends, I've seen the management & staff deal with issues in a systematic, honest and transparent manner.

Our Founders are well respected as they should be, but in no way "run" the organization. Some founders do still hold key positions (although that's becoming less common) but they garner no more authority then their peers in the same positions.

Merit raises have been annual for many years now and I know for a fact that they have been very wide spread across all divisions.

Without a doubt, the people that are drawn to this work are idealistic and can be a bit quirky :). In a small few, idealism can manifest itself in extreme views and expectations. No organization is prefect, but I can tell you from personal experience that when our cat passed, I've never see a more caring and compassionate group of people in my life... And I can never thank them enough!

Keep doing the good and honorable work to "SAVE THEM ALL"!

ConsCaring for animals is hard, both physically and mentally. I wish it wasn't so, but I very much admire those who choose that as their calling.

Great Place To Work And Live

Animal Care/Community Programs (Current Employee) Kanab, UT

ProsAnimals are the priority. The sanctuary is completely unique and the organization's mission to Save Them All is inspiring. Proud to be a part of the no-kill movement. Pay is good and more than my friends in other orgs doing comparable work in animal welfare. Location is like a national park. Pretty good benefits.

ConsSouthern Utah is remote and not for everyone. Need to be pretty self contained and independent. It's very emotional work often with special needs animals.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for social engagement, more cross training between sanctuary and remote staff.

Technician Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked at their Dog town clinic. The animals definitely get the best care here. The technicians, doctors and caregivers are all wonderful people who provide the animals with best care. They really do put the animals before themselves absolutely. Lovely hospital with state of the art equipment and they are even getting a larger one now! Even plans for new horse surgical building! Exciting place if you love veterinary medicine because of you are able to treat the patients here without worrying too much of the cost and client.

I got to meet Gregory Castle my first day. Everyone eats lunch at the vegan buffet there most of the time, the food is good and different daily. If you wanted you would be able to meet a lot of people here and they also throw weekly updates and meetings on thursdays.

The Sanctuary is beautiful

ConsThe animals do come first. Which is fine however it is sad when people can barely afford gas money to do their jobs. They give up so much for the animals and get paid squat. They aren't even able to pay for their own animals bills and housing in Kanab is expensive. These medical professionals are the ones who make caring for the sick animals possible. And even though times are difficult for them they are positive everyday.

Information and departments arent close with each other. People who worked there for 3-4 years may not know anyone from the other departments. You have to be a home body and enjoy not to much partying to live here.

Very hard place to work!

Animal Caregiver (Current Employee) Kanab, UT

ProsAwesome to love and care for the animals,beautiful location, great benefit package Some of the hardest working people I have ever worked with.

ConsThe company operates with fear and intimidation. Staff turn over is huge making working conditions very stressful. For a company that has increased revenue 62% in the last 5 years they do not pass that on to the hard working staff. Very hard to make ends meet. The HR department is difficult to deal with, after all Utah is a right to work state. BF seems to be very thankless towards their employees .

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with appreciation and respect. Honest and open communication would be helpful. Better training for managers a must!

Fake organization with an agenda of getting more money

Marketing (Current Employee) Kanab, UT

ProsA chance to care for animals, although not many are rescued by the organization. They are warehoused in Utah and donors are made to believe more are being saved when they are not.

ConsThe founders run the place (even though they say they do not) and give orders to the directors, who pass down their orders to the managers. Often the managers do not know that the orders are coming from above. It is a threatening, dysfunctional, unhealthy environment to work in. Underlings are encouraged to tattle on each other. However if they tell on a manager it is a guarantee they will be fired. Horrible organization pretending to care about animals when it is all a facade to get more donations to make the founders rich. It does not get any more stressful than this. They treat employees like scum, from the highest levels and it trickles down.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice should go to the founders, who run every department from a distance. Get a clue; everyone is on to what you are doing and who is really running Best Friends. Is money more important than animals and people?

Internship

Editorial (Former Employee) Kanab, UT

ProsGreat atmosphere in Kanab, Utah. Friendly, caring coworkers. Organization that has a great mission.

ConsOn the reverse, the town is a bit isolated from other major cities. Mostly for those who prefer an outdoors western type of living arrangement. You either love it or you don't. Seemed like they only hired those who were volunteering there already, or had an "in" with the other managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some preliminary tests or telephone conversations with those whom you consider hiring before flying them out to the location. Perhaps offer freelancing opportunities to those who make the trip but are not hired.

.Eight years of hard work and BS at Best Friends.

Animal Caregiver (Current Employee) Kanab, UT

ProsLoving and changing the life of all the animals that have past before me is the best part of my work at Best Friends.

ConsALWAYS short handed, years without any wage increase, and an under current of you are replaceable are some of the things Best Friends is famous for.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more appreciative of their staff. Thanks you did a great job today goes a long way.

Worked for Best Friends Animal Society? Contribute to the Community!