Best Friends Animal Society

Updated September 6, 2014
Updated September 6, 2014
2.1

Gregory Castle

Best Friends is an AWESOME place to work!

I have been working at Best Friends Animal Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Before I came to Best Friends, I always had trouble finding an organization that I really believed in and that I felt like I belonged. I usually left every 3-4 years looking for something better. Once I came to Best Friends, nearly, 10 years ago, I knew I was home. I love the work we do, the people who do it, and the Founders who created it all. We have heart, whether some choose to see it or not.

Cons

The remote location was a challenge in the beginning but I've gotten used to it and not having a Super Target nearby is offset by being around people who love animals as much as I do.

We've come a long way since I've been here…keep up the good work achieving our mission while preserving the flame.

Horrible - A dream shattered

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kanab, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kanab, UT

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Best Friends became the dominant employer in the area, and offers benefits.
    At first, it appears like the ideal organization to work for: Save Them All!
    A great BUSINESS slogan for the brand.

Cons

Best Friends is located in Kanab UT, a very remote location, beautiful but offering very little fall back options.
    Great place if you enjoy working everyday in fear. A place where a hand full of individuals are favored, listened to and for murky reasons are never held accountable!
    People come from far, travel great distances to follow a dream to end-up in the middle of nowhere far from home.
    I second a previous post: "the "positive" reviews from May of 2014, suspiciously come after HR has learned of Glass Door".
    I don't know of any "long timers" feeling positively about this place.

HR and Upper management: Best Friends Animal Society rating here speaks for itself.
    It shows too well the lack of care from an HR department, doing a poor job and needing some deep cleansing, starting at the top.
    Employees who have worked here long enough could all tell the same story.
    Start treating people with respect and humanity.

Horrible

Former Employee - Dog Caregiver  in  Kanab, UT
    Former Employee - Dog Caregiver in Kanab, UT

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Beautiful place. Save them all!!!

Cons

They treat staff terribly, if you are not liked by the right people.

Start being humane to your staff!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horribly mis-managed

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society full-time

Pros

If you are retired, (can work for free), can work around continuing chaos while keeping your mouth shut, then this is the place for you.

Cons

Protocols change every 20 minutes. Management "restructures" every 90 days. Supervisors ignore staff for the most part. If you eat meat, don't let anyone know.

Pointless, as management does not take advice.

Dismal Organization Run On Fear And Brainwashing.

Former Employee - Animal Caregiver  in  Kanab, UT
    Former Employee - Animal Caregiver in Kanab, UT

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with the animals who otherwise may have not been given a second chance.

Cons

Best Friends uses the "sanctuary' and canyon as a carrot to dangle in front of potential high donors and future employees. Once hired, you quickly realize that employees are disposable and treated as such. The moto is, 'if you don't like it-there's the door.' Care givers are expected to handle an unreasonable work load with a smile on their faces, all the while catering to the volunteers who have the potential of digging deep into their wallets for large donations. If you are found uttering an opinion that BF does not want the public to know...those have found themselves no longer employed with out explanation. The town of Kanab is remote to say the least and the 'locals' are not in support of the 'hill dwellers/best frienders' for good reason, Best Friends has no interest and will not help the local community animals- their only interest lies in what they refer to as being the most recognizable ''brand name' in the business. Do NOT except a position with this company! Over and over, people come from far and wide to give their heart and soul to the animals and this organization, only to be left in the middle of the desert broke, lost and scratching their way home. The "positive"reviews from May of 2014, suspiciously come after HR has learned of Glass Door.

Management could benefit from treating employees with respect and value rather than the next set of 'numbers' just hired to take orders.

Well run, growing organization. Extremely dedicated staff & management to the care and well being of animals everywhere.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kanab, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kanab, UT

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I'm always saddened when the negativity and mistruths of a few, tarnish the good and honorable work of so many...

I no longer work at Best Friends so I have no motivation to sugar coat the facts. As with any organization, especially those that have experienced the growth that Best Friends has, there are always issues and there will always be room for improvement. In my 8 years at Best Friends, I've seen the management & staff deal with issues in a systematic, honest and transparent manner.

Our Founders are well respected as they should be, but in no way "run" the organization. Some founders do still hold key positions (although that's becoming less common) but they garner no more authority then their peers in the same positions.

Merit raises have been annual for many years now and I know for a fact that they have been very wide spread across all divisions.

Without a doubt, the people that are drawn to this work are idealistic and can be a bit quirky :). In a small few, idealism can manifest itself in extreme views and expectations. No organization is prefect, but I can tell you from personal experience that when our cat passed, I've never see a more caring and compassionate group of people in my life... And I can never thank them enough!

Keep doing the good and honorable work to "SAVE THEM ALL"!

Cons

Caring for animals is hard, both physically and mentally. I wish it wasn't so, but I very much admire those who choose that as their calling.

Great Place To Work And Live

Current Employee - Animal Care/Community Programs  in  Kanab, UT
    Current Employee - Animal Care/Community Programs in Kanab, UT

I have been working at Best Friends Animal Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Animals are the priority. The sanctuary is completely unique and the organization's mission to Save Them All is inspiring. Proud to be a part of the no-kill movement. Pay is good and more than my friends in other orgs doing comparable work in animal welfare. Location is like a national park. Pretty good benefits.

Cons

Southern Utah is remote and not for everyone. Need to be pretty self contained and independent. It's very emotional work often with special needs animals.

More opportunities for social engagement, more cross training between sanctuary and remote staff.

Technician Internship

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Worked at their Dog town clinic. The animals definitely get the best care here. The technicians, doctors and caregivers are all wonderful people who provide the animals with best care. They really do put the animals before themselves absolutely. Lovely hospital with state of the art equipment and they are even getting a larger one now! Even plans for new horse surgical building! Exciting place if you love veterinary medicine because of you are able to treat the patients here without worrying too much of the cost and client.

I got to meet Gregory Castle my first day. Everyone eats lunch at the vegan buffet there most of the time, the food is good and different daily. If you wanted you would be able to meet a lot of people here and they also throw weekly updates and meetings on thursdays.

The Sanctuary is beautiful

Cons

The animals do come first. Which is fine however it is sad when people can barely afford gas money to do their jobs. They give up so much for the animals and get paid squat. They aren't even able to pay for their own animals bills and housing in Kanab is expensive. These medical professionals are the ones who make caring for the sick animals possible. And even though times are difficult for them they are positive everyday.

Information and departments arent close with each other. People who worked there for 3-4 years may not know anyone from the other departments. You have to be a home body and enjoy not to much partying to live here.

Very hard place to work!

Current Employee - Animal Caregiver  in  Kanab, UT
    Current Employee - Animal Caregiver in Kanab, UT

Pros

Awesome to love and care for the animals,beautiful location, great benefit package Some of the hardest working people I have ever worked with.

Cons

The company operates with fear and intimidation. Staff turn over is huge making working conditions very stressful. For a company that has increased revenue 62% in the last 5 years they do not pass that on to the hard working staff. Very hard to make ends meet. The HR department is difficult to deal with, after all Utah is a right to work state. BF seems to be very thankless towards their employees .

Treat your employees with appreciation and respect. Honest and open communication would be helpful. Better training for managers a must!

Fake organization with an agenda of getting more money

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Kanab, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Kanab, UT

Pros

A chance to care for animals, although not many are rescued by the organization. They are warehoused in Utah and donors are made to believe more are being saved when they are not.

Cons

The founders run the place (even though they say they do not) and give orders to the directors, who pass down their orders to the managers. Often the managers do not know that the orders are coming from above. It is a threatening, dysfunctional, unhealthy environment to work in. Underlings are encouraged to tattle on each other. However if they tell on a manager it is a guarantee they will be fired. Horrible organization pretending to care about animals when it is all a facade to get more donations to make the founders rich. It does not get any more stressful than this. They treat employees like scum, from the highest levels and it trickles down.

Advice should go to the founders, who run every department from a distance. Get a clue; everyone is on to what you are doing and who is really running Best Friends. Is money more important than animals and people?

Best Friends Animal Society Photos

Kanab Winter Wonderland

+ Add Photo

Worked for Best Friends Animal Society? Contribute to the Community!