Best Friends Pet Care

Shane Kelly

Think twice

Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in South Plainfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Customer Service Representative in South Plainfield, NJ

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care (More than a year)

Pros

It was good customer service experience.

Cons

Management team had little to no respect for their employees. Approved time off was not honored. Spoke down to employees as if they were children.

2. Great place to get work experience but...

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Best Friends Pet Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co workers and pets. If you like animals, you may enjoy working here. Managers are friendly and understanding.

Cons

The work load is huge and the pay is small. Best to take this as a college/high school student or someone looking for a second job.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better!

The only good thing about working here is the animals... and I don't mean your co-workers. They're probably awful.

Former Employee - Management Intern
    Former Employee - Management Intern

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care (More than a year)

Pros

Playing with dogs and cats. Meeting the occasional co-worker who doesn't make your life terrible.

Cons

It is hard, back-breaking work that can be dangerous and terrifying. That would be fine if they actually paid you over minimum wage. Nothing is up to code and my boss put us in legitimately life-threatening situations all of the time. The boss never works weekends, but you will. The actual corporation does not care about you and barely visits. No meetings, no communication, hostile work environment- the animals were taken care of and the employees were treated like dirt. I've NEVER just been doing a job like normal, like I do every day and broke down crying because I felt so defeated.

Advice to Management

GET IT TOGETHER. If you can't pay your employees or don't have the money to keep your facilities clean and safe, then you shouldn't be in business. The employees are holding lives in their hands and they're worked like slaves. We see dead dogs, sick dogs; we deal with blood, vomit, feces, rusty fences, sharp teeth and you can't even give us a decent health insurance plan, which we'd never get anyway because even those of us who worked 40 hours were marked as part-time. 75% of what I saw there was illegal or just plain wrong.

5. Disorganized

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care

Pros

The animals and nice kennel staff

Cons

Bad management and needed more staff

I felt very uncomfortable working there.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with the animals. Some very nice clients! found the manager hard to work with and a bad attitude toward staff and customers.

Cons

Manager rude to customers. Dogs breaking out of runs. Dogs are put up between 4-5 and not let out again until 7:30 or 8. At a min. that's 14 1/2 hours unsupervised

Advice to Management

Get the chip off your shoulder. Leave your baggage at home

Corporate Office Employees Beware

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Best Friends Pet Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for pets and having dogs run around the office. That's it.

Cons

Departments are understaffed and expected to produce impossible amounts of work. All employees who are not directors are severely underpaid. Two raises in the last decade. Owners should be embarrassed.

New owners in the last two years have disgraced the company and things seem to only be getting worse. While things are looking prettier on the outside, the inside walls are crumbling. Communication is non existent within the organization. In fact, upper management boldly lies to employees and keeps secrets often creating conflict within departments. Management is selfish and everyone should fear for their jobs. Don't count on staying with this company. They will get bored of you and they will replace you. They act like it's a game. Also, don't expect to have any control.

The corporate culture at this company used to be one of fun, respect, camaraderie, and hard work. We had holiday parties, team building activities, lunch ins, costume contests including the office dogs, etc. All things that enhanced company morale. Since Shane and Mollie started running things, none of that exists.

You are expected to use your PTO days for holidays like Christmas and New Years and you'll be expected to work the day before and after any major holidays as well. These people have no idea how to run a company.

If you are considering working for this company, do yourself a favor and keep looking.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Communicate. Be honest. Appreciate your employees.

Don't waste your time

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care part-time

Pros

If you like working with animals then it’s an ok job. And it will be of use for experience in this type of environment.

Cons

The managers. They are the furthest thing from professional when it comes to how they treat their employees. They do nothing but play games and pick on certain associates whenever they please. And if they are in a bad mood that day, watch out! Cause now they’re going to be all over you for the day if you’re one of those particular individuals they pick to bully that week. And if you happen to make a mistake, be alert because they aren't going to talk to you about it, you may just not be working for the next few days…or weeks. They may have fired you, but how do you know? You certainly won’t be told. And yes you will be required to do a lot of labor during your shift, just don’t let them see that you’re tired. You’ll get in trouble for that and they may just add on more work for you to do. That’s the price you’ll pay for being their target. The money is not worth it, the stress is not worth it, the hours are not worth it. You will get no where with this place. Save yourself the trouble.

Advice to Management

Do some research when it comes to your center managers. Talk to the associates under them and see if anyone has a concern or issue. Listen to the people that work for your business! Cause it seems that many associates are being degraded by their boss. You might want to look into that.

I loved the animals

Former Employee - Animal Care Tech
    Former Employee - Animal Care Tech

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to enjoy your passion for loving animals. You start to grow attached to the dogs/cats that stay with you regularly as if they were your own. The animal techs are awesome.

Cons

The pay sucks. You work like a slave for such little pay and there are never reviews being done in order for you to get a raise. There's no way to move up. The management is terrible. There's never enough people scheduled when needed and then you get reprimanded when something doesn't get done. God forbid you sit down to take a 5 minute break after feeding and cleaning 2-5 buildings with out being told to get back to work. Everything is a problem and management does nothing but favorite people.

Advice to Management

Pay the workers what they deserve !!

10. Great opportunity to gain experience in the industry

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care full-time

Pros

If you love animals, going to work will be enjoyable every day.

Cons

The pay is not realistic.

Advice to Management

Don't allow people to bring their personal baggage to work or allow it to contaminate the work environment.

11. Terrible management but the staff works hard

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I think this facility really cares about the animals and despite the terrible management, messy schedules, lack of organization, and just general negativity of the environment the staff work miracles to care for the pets properly.

Cons

Management is a joke - rude to employees as well as customers. The training was terrible and unorganized and then they will yell at you when you do something wrong even if they haven't taught you how to do it yet. There's not enough staff to do all that needs to get done and the environment is very negative to work in.

Advice to Management

Take a chill pill. Learn how to manage your employees without being rude and negative.

RSS Feed </> Embed