Best Harvest Bakeries

Best Harvest Bakeries Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Young

I've made a living there.

Kansas City, MO

Prosits' steady work, and the pay is decent. it could be a great place to work, if senior management would quit trying to support other failing businesses with the profit from the bakery,and reinvest into the bakery.

ConsA lot of talk about how great things are going to be, but it only seems to get worse.

Advice to Senior Managementbe open and honest to employees. reinvest int he bakery.

It beats the unemployment line.

Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsIt was a job, you could take home all of the hamburger buns you wanted. There was nothing that went on that would make refuse to eat their product.

ConsThe biggest issue was that safety was a joke. How can somebody nearly get their hand cut off in a machine and the company still say that "We have 2,000 some odd days for no lost time injuries"? When that someone is new and still working for a temp agency! Another great way to keep the streak going is by the injured employee deciding to go on "vacation" during the healing process. About 75% of the machinery was 20+ years old and had non-functioning electrical disconnects, (The machines were powered by 480V 3 phase AC, very dangerous) which could not be properly locked out. To remove and restore power the cabinet door had to be opened and the switch operated with a tool or your hand, again very dangerous.
    The 20+ year old machines and poor communications between management and workers resulted in an incredably high amount of "Product" being ruined by bad packaging or by sanitation cleaning out mixing tanks assuming they were empty but in fact they still had unused but still usable product in them.
    The old machines were constantly breaking down and there just weren't any easy days. Nearly every day was a situation where an easy 15 minute fix gets turned into a 2 hour fix because they are always out of stock of the 15 cent spare part you need. You have to dismantle something to create a "work around" until the part comes in and then undo your "work around". I think that's what they call a "can do" attitude in a maintenance culture that focuses on how well you fix a problem after it occurs rather than a what can we do to keep the problem from happening in the 1st place.
    In spite of everything the company was reasonably profitable and if I had to I could've spent the rest of my career there. But why risk getting injured for so-so pay when you can get an easier job that pays more elsewhere? I never got injured there but I didn't stay around long enough to get hurt.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in some newer bun wrappers! If you like throwing your money away on wasted product then throw it away on the employees!

Worked for Best Harvest Bakeries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Harvest Bakeries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Harvest Bakeries CEO Robert Young. All reviews posted anonymously by Best Harvest Bakeries employees.