Best Western Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014

2.6

Best Western President and CEO David T. Kong
David T. Kong

Pros
  • Great management, easy work, good pay for what you do, fun environment (in 5 reviews)

• Great people to work with, no micro-management (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Tough work for low pay but that is the hotel business (in 11 reviews)

• low salary, no real room for advancement (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

my opinion

Current Employee - Front Desk/Night Audit  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Front Desk/Night Audit in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Best Western full-time for less than a year

Pros

working for best western is satisfying because it gives me the opportunity to meet people from other countries.

Cons

even though, I enjoy the work environment, the pay is low and there's no room for advancement

Frustrating

Current Employee - Frustrated Employee  in  Lackawanna, NY
    Current Employee - Frustrated Employee in Lackawanna, NY

I have been working at Best Western part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I get to meet and work with (when we're allowed to work with them)

Cons

Nepotism, low wages, nothing for employees, no chance for advancement, time off? Are you kidding?, low wages (can't express that enough), new rules that are followed by only a select few and the manager's "Buddies" don't have to. No overtime or abilities to work extra shifts, When asking for a day off, it is up to you to get someone to replace you, as the manager will NOT do it, management's condescending attitude toward employees

When you have an employee who is more qualified to work in other areas than the ones you are hiring (who barely speak English), then you have a problem. When I offered to be trained, the response was, "look at how you dress". I'm a transport driver with no uniform to wear. What do they expect for minimum wage? When you have someone on your staff who is more qualified than you to run the hotel, I can understand your concern and your going out of your way to keep that person down. It is to keep your own job. Sorry fact is, you're not doing a good job of it as playing video games during your shift is NOT doing your job.

Best job I ever gave up!

Former Employee - Front Desk Team Lead  in  Silverdale, WA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Team Lead in Silverdale, WA

I worked at Best Western full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Management team here is the best I have ever worked for. Marc and Genie are truly concerned about their employees. They listen carefully to every issue and suggestion or idea, and always follow through. They acknowledge their employees accomplishments and help them with any difficulties. This positive attitude filtered down to the employees. We cared about each other and helped each other. We worked hard but had fun. I looked forward to going to work each day and I miss being there. I would never have left except that I moved too far away to commute. The survey scores for this hotel always reflected the positive attitude of the employees to each other and the guests that stayed there.

Cons

During the time I worked here there was a sale of business and major transitions followed. It was a difficult time but a positive change.

Keep up the awesome job!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I love this job, socializing with customers and putting their needs first.

Current Employee - Front Desk  in  Blackwell, OK
    Current Employee - Front Desk in Blackwell, OK

I have been working at Best Western full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

working with the public, leadership, staff, providing quality customer service, and more

Cons

getting hateful customers, long hours, compensation, days off, attitudes

The experience was intense and stressful in the beginning but eventually it smoothed out.

Former Employee - Front Desk  in  Patterson, CA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Patterson, CA

I worked at Best Western part-time for more than a year

Pros

The great thing about this job were the discounts. Also the good thing with this job was it worked with my school schedule. Its a great job to get you through school and pay some bills.

Cons

They are very minimal on the pay. There are a lot trust issues between management and the associates. Also many of the policies are questionable. Its really hard in the beginning if you don't have decent training. There is drama in every department but you learn to avoid it. You really fend for yourself at this job.

Chelmsford, MA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chelmsford, MA

I worked at Best Western

Pros

Mostly friendly employees & opportunity for growth within company

Cons

Lack of training, not paid as well as other local hotels, poor current leadership

get a full time general manager who hastime to take control.

franchise company

Former Employee - Director of Sales
    Former Employee - Director of Sales

I worked at Best Western full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people flexible with person time

Cons

franchise. no benefits. obviously working holidays is a drag.

put commission structure on paper so there isn't an argument come bonus time.

MY experience at the Royal Plaza was ok.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Marlboro, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlboro, MA

I worked at Best Western part-time for less than a year

Pros

YOu should consider working here if you enjoy working in the hospitality industry and have a thick skin.

Cons

Guests complain about lack of upkeep to the hotel which is not something you are in any position to comment on.

Update hotel and provide amenities for all rooms (ie microwaves and mini fridges)

good experience to take with me, but unorganized, unprioritized, unbalanced work environment

Former Employee - HOUSEMAN  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - HOUSEMAN in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Best Western full-time for more than a year

Pros

I met one or two cool people. I gained SOME experience to take with me to other companies. Met guests from around the world.

Cons

Completely unorganized, and corrupted workplace. I had personal problems in my life that prevented me from coming to work or made me late at times, and I was let go for that. However, I was one of the hardest working employees there, along with a few other people there. The other person who was the same title as me would never do his job, he just talked to the housekeepers all day, and he got to do whatever he wanted, and ignored and disobeyed orders from supervisors and management, while I was asked to clean up after everyone else's mess. I wanted to learn new skills to be able to contribute more to the hotel, and I was never taught anything after consistently inquiring. We were understaffed, underpaid, and overworked. I was paid significantly less than the front desk staff. All the front desk staff at this hotel would sit on there phones for half their shift waiting for a guest to check in. They never left the front desk, at all. I was never recognized or appreciated for how hard I worked, and never got a raise the whole year I was there. They don't spend the money needed to actually keep the hotel running properly. There are constantly rooms out of order because they let problems get so bad that they need full blown repair, instead of minor maintenance, for some odd reason, mopping the cafeteria was more important than anything else in the whole hotel. The is terrible communication, and the people who are in the highest positions are the laziest. The people in management are the people saying "we all have to work together," as they are asking someone who is already running behind to bring a towel to a room 15 feet away from them. I would NOT recommend working here, ever. i worked at the Best Western All Suites Inn Santa Cruz. I have since moved on to working at a Marriott, which is much better organized.

Learn how to prioritize, stop overworking your employees, stop being so lazy, and recognize the people who work hard, instead of the insubordinate ones.

front desk clerk

Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk  in  Richmond, IN
    Former Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Richmond, IN

I worked at Best Western part-time

Pros

easy work taking care of customers

Cons

having to fold laundry in the back

fire amy witham

Worked for Best Western? Contribute to the Community!