Best and Less

1 Rating

Good for a casual job

Former Employee - Shop Assistant
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant

I worked at Best and Less (more than an year)

Pros

Store manager was wonderful and understanding, very flexible. Very generous meal breaks.

Cons

Pay below most others in the same role with other companies. Not a huge company so some weeks you may not have work at all. Not much room for personal development.

Great, casual place to work

Former Employee - Retail Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Retail Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Best and Less part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fairly flexible, casual retail job.
    Decent pay, good pay on Sundays, much better pay than other situations I have heard.
    Would recommend for those looking for a casual job.

Cons

Not many really. Apart from early-ish mornings, most things were good. Managers were stuffed about a bit, a great manager was moved and replaced without asking any lower staff.

Very untrust worthy company to work for, management wise and not at retail stores

I have been working at Best and Less

Pros

There really is not much to say in this section apart from the exceptional people who you get to work with.

Cons

Too much focus and sales and figures and forgetting what really matters!! Your staff is what drives your company not just the retail stores and front. Very high turn over rate, management is unfair, rude, self interested and runs the company like a communist government. Communications is extremely poor and cultural/attitude is just as bad. Single sentence can summarize how its runs here "best and less way or its the high way for you".

Start looking at your internal staffs and not just external facing. Even if you produce the best looking company with the highest rated retail and customer service, the company wont last unless the people working in the background turning the cogs are happy and stay with you. Start to focus more on your staffs rather than surface face value and really look into the needs of your staffs.

This is no doubt the worse company I have ever worked for. Management in general is an absolute joke.

I worked at Best and Less

Pros

Amazing people around to work with, really friendly and fun to work with. Nothing else apart from a few great people around.

Cons

Management is a joke, they actually try to force culture onto their staffs. Culture is not something you force onto your staffs, it is something that everyone agrees on and picks up. Either way culture and company values are useless unless you really live and breath what you preach. Even when you really live and breath what you preach if you are unfair then everything just goes out the window. Overall in a nut shell, Management believes that they are the boss and you simply have to OBEY or you are out the door. They have already pushed multiple other managers and staffs out the door because they either dont agree or management does not see them to fit.

Keep up that negative behavior, dictatorship style and you wont have any culture, values, commitment, innovative, staffs left in your company. You REALLY need to start changing the way how you treat your staffs, a first step would be to get rid of your HR team! they are useless.

if you like to be micro managed and want to work in a company stuck in the past then this place is for you.

I worked at Best and Less

Pros

Salary is fair, could be better, but I would not consider this a con. Very nice and cool bunch of people to work with, though I do not know how long these people will stick around.

Cons

High turn over rate, management is appalling, dysfunctional teams and departments, IT is stuck in the stone age, HR is a self absorbed team and running on their own egos, they care not for the staffs but the interest of management and themselves. Company culture and values are pushed upon the staffs and if you don't obey then you don't belong here. Everything is so pretentious where you just feel disgusted as they carry on their make-believe stories and values.

Stay true to what you say you would do! Build a FAIR, RESPECTFUL and TRUST worthy culture! Dont feed people b*llcr*p and you wont get b*llcr*p in return. Keep your promises!! and last the most important one of all VALUE YOUR STAFFs!!!!! not everything is based outside at the retail front where the sales and numbers comes in. Without a strong team at the back supporting your retail front end you will not get any sales at all.

Needs a lot of improvement, I feel as though management has no Idea at all in regards to helping the stores and staffs

Current Employee - Retail Staff in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Retail Staff in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Best and Less full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The staff you work with are usually great, salary/wage is fair but can be towards the low side, you need to negotiate before you start.

Cons

Management is too focused on meeting the sales and neglecting their staffs needs and happiness. For example they send out people in the office to the stores to help out, but every single one have said they were forced out and just usually gets in the way as they have no idea what they are doing. The technology used in the stores are like back in the stone ages, I have come from other retain stores and they are light years ahead of Best and Less. There is also a certain degree of favouritism... if you do not get along with management or your manager then it will be a rough ride for you.

Get your heads out of the clouds or pull your socks up and really listen to your staff at what is needed. I rather you spend some money training us the Retail best practices such as how should we speak, stand, handle complaints like the Apple store does, rather than sending a bunch of reluctant office workers to the stores.

A company you would not want to stay for long.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Best and Less full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, a lot of work, constantly busy. If you like to be occupied and be constantly working this will be a plus here. Also they are constantly hiring and recruiting.

Cons

There is hardly any much work life balance, infact the culture and atmosphere here is "you work or you leave". Management doesn't seem to care too much with the behaviour and culture, which could be the reason why they have high turn over rates and are constantly hiring.

Actions speaks louder than words, as much as you are trying to push great values to your staff, if management does not live and breath those vaules themselves then it is simply shoving dog food down your staffs throat. Focus on what really matters! your staffs! their wellbeing, their opinions and do the right thing by communicating first before you action!

A company driven by sales results and force from management to meet or reach results.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Best and Less full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Possible career movement into the Office rather than staying in retail stores, people you work with tend to be easy to get along with and friendly.

Cons

Management has become too sales driven and are forgetting what really matters, their staffs. The new law or culture seems to be their way or the door way for you. I was forced to move to a different store or loose my job. I have had my fair share of working with staff in the support centre and during their ridiculous store visit and the vibe that I get from them is the same as what we experience out here. Because of stone age technology in use we end up having to work longer or start earlier just to make sure we can perform our trading properly.

Change your culture and attitude towards your staffs, listen to what they have to say, work with them to achieve the results rather than forcing us to do as your please. A happy staff is a efficient staff, an unhappy staff will bring more unhappy staffs and will end up leaving.

When they need you the love you, when they dont you are rubbish ready to be tossed out the door.

I worked at Best and Less full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Other than having some really friendly, helpful and sincere people to work with, there really is not much to rate or talk about.

Cons

Everything about HR and Senior management is so specious. They set company culture and values and yet later only to bend them to their own convenience when they are questioned. There is no job security at all as turn over rate is so high, not to mention they can just fire anyone who they dont like or dont see fit.

If you really are working in creating a good culture and positive values then you MUST learn to be FAIR, build and work on TRUST with all your staffs and build and work on RESPECT by giving your staff the respect they need. With those grounded culture and values will then take its own course with a little positive push here and then. However, this can only be achieved by everyone living and believing in the value set, this also needs to included the senior leadership team and HR. If those values are changed, manipulated or bent to suit management then that only creates distrust in which will break all values and will lead to poor company culture.

Average company with very little care of their staffs.

I have been working at Best and Less full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary on offer is usually fair, but it is best to ask before you start, most of the staff is friendly and easy to get along with.

Cons

High turn over rate, a lot of good staff leave because they dont like the culture and management. Senior Management and HR is still stuck in the past where they work off the I am the boss so you do as I say method, rather than working towards building better staff relationship to improve work efficiencies.

If you do not stop or make a change to the current culture and attidue of dictatorship, your not going to retain any of your innovative staffs.

Best and Less Photos