BestMark

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
1.7

Ann Jennings

This is a very good and safe company I am working with. I'velearnt so much from this work experience in the last 6 mths.

Current Employee - Mystery Shopper in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Mystery Shopper in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BestMark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a company which will give you very good exposure in terms of job & the market. The best is -its at your convenience where you can pick and choose your job,date and time.

Cons

There is nothing that I have come across till now. But some times you might have to stay up late and finish your Survey submission on their site. But its been good for me so far. No complaints.

Some times the surveys don't get evaluated and processed quickly and as a result the payment is not made at the right time. I wish this aspect is taken care of .

Quality Assurance Editor Position a Joke

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Editor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Editor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at BestMark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very, very nice people. Everyone I spoke with and worked with was very nice.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. I tried to do the honorable thing by putting as much effort as possible into my editing, but was constantly thrown off by small errors and policies that are not only under a microscope, but also a bit absurd. Ultimately, I got fed up with putting a tremendous amount of time and effort into communications, the memorization of rules, technical errors and more. If things were air tight on BestMark's end, I wouldn't be complaining as much, but there are plenty of misspelled words and errors on BestMark's end too. Take their "university" (training) materials, for example. There are plenty of errors that stand out. Also, BestMark advises that you set aside 15 hours to complete their training. It took me far beyond that amount of time! It includes a ridiculous test for each segment of training, for which the multiple choice answers typically range A-E, often with "none of the above" or "all of the above" and the like. I even had a multiple choice question whose answer was "A or C." Think about that for a minute.

Overall, the pettiness and minutia will get to you when you're paid very little to rewrite some illiterate moron's survey regarding a car dealership's website. Not only are you editing and rewriting a survey, you're also cross-checking data and receipts. This is where BestMark will really come down on you if you overlook something. Also, you really have to stay on top of your communications; essentially, BestMark wants you checking in at least every 12 hours, if not more often.

Also, I lost a great deal of confidence in American society reading a lot of these surveys. You'll read work done by somebody driving a new Camaro and they can't even spell the name of their own car right. It's super depressing.

Overall, the system is broken. How a huge business entity like Chevrolet will pay to have a borderline illiterate person evaluate a dealership is completely beyond me. Or having someone, who will take a screenshot with their phone, only to print it and then scan it, evaluate a website is absurd. The very least BestMark can do is create a team of slaves overseas to cross-check the receipt information so the editors don't have to bother with that mess on top of being forced to completely rewrite some redneck's gibberish regarding his fascination with the snack machine in a dealership.

THEY DON'T PAY - SCAMMED

Current Employee - Mystery Shopper in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Mystery Shopper in New York, NY

I have been working at BestMark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are on a 1099 and on your own and I can see no pros to this job because they will find something not to pay you.

Cons

They go to a secret shopping assignment. You get a message the assignment is completed. Then you get an email saying you spelled a word wrong and they won't pay you. This a SCAM

Revise your editing Department and pay your subcontractors or you could wind up in court.

Waste of time.

I worked at BestMark

Pros

Casual dress code with jeans and tennis shoes and nice customers.

Cons

Management sucks, quotas that are unrealistic, low morale, and high turnover.

Establish team building, respect individual talents, support learning opportunities, train new employees for 5 weeks with rockstar talent, and promote from within.

Horrible experience, treated like garbage

I worked at BestMark as a contractor

Pros

Fun job, seemed easy at the time

Cons

Rarely paid adequately, had to jump through hoops, treated unfairly and like everyone is replaceable

Employees are people, treat them that way

Run away and dont look back

Former Employee - Regional Coordinator- in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Regional Coordinator- in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at BestMark full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Manager is really nce

Cons

Everybody else is management is fake and horrible. They too away 15 minute breaks, just because they could. The law say's you get a 5 to 15 minute break. So this horrible owner and upper management team decided to make it 5 minute breaks, Everybody that is working there is looking for a new job. DO NOT work here!

Take two weeks off and quit!

Expect to work extra hours without pay.

I worked at BestMark full-time

Pros

The dress code is casual.

Cons

They're considered an industry leader by outsiders, but internally, there is a significant turnover rate and low employee morale. Senior management's consistently unrealistic promises to clients yields a cycle in which salaried staff work extra hours without overtime pay whenever the company is up against deadlines. There are also mandatory, unpaid weekend shifts required for many internal positions. It's generally not an office culture which supports a work/life balance. There tends to be little opportunity to advance because management immediately begins interviewing external candidates for new openings. The CEO speaks often about integrity, while the company will cut corners or even partially fabricate survey responses if it means making a deadline. Video cameras and call recording equipment are used to monitor employees' activities in a workplace where there is no HR department to intervene.

Recognize that investing in your employees will raise - not lower - the company's bottom line. The current attitude seems to be that employees must "earn" their respect by being worked to the bone, even when they're not always rewarded.

Good, Not Great

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Editor in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Editor in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at BestMark part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Work/Life Balance, as you can work from home.
    Paid Training.
    Recognition for work well done.

Cons

The work can be repetitive.
    Little room for advancement.
    Management tends to micromanage.
    Inconsistent communication.

Less micromanaging, please and more communication.

It was...interesting to say the least

Former Employee - Regional Coordinatr in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Regional Coordinatr in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at BestMark full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun co-workers, interesting industry, great place to learn many skills at once, good entry level position where you can cut your teeth and gain quick experience, fast paced.

Cons

Very big micro-managers, no job growth within the company, revolving door of hiring(some people were out after a few days), not willing to listen any advice from the people on the floor, Cameras in the office...really?

Trust the people on the front-line and the people who have been with you the longest.

Sad Place to Work-Not Recommended

I worked at BestMark full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The product is incredible as they are one of the top Mystery Shopping Companies in the world. Fortune 100 clients.

Cons

Think very carefully before you accept an internal job from this company. They make you work mandatory unpaid overtime, they avoid performance reviews at all costs so they can't give any of their employees a raise or even help them improve. I have never worked for a company where every single employee is trying to find another job elsewhere. They don't appreciate a single thing anyone does and never recognizes when someone goes above and beyond. This job affects people in their personal life and most people find it nearly impossible to get out of bed in the morning. It was such a relief to finally get out of this sweat shop. Unfortunately, I believe that eventually they will lose so many staff members that it will be tough for them to meet all of the deadlines for their clients. It's a ticking time-bomb waiting to happen. Their database of mystery shoppers believe they are underpaid and overworked, my comment to them is try being an internal employee.

Open your eyes and realize the wonderful people that work for you. You can't survive without good people and they WILL find somewhere else to go. You can continue to take advantage of these poor people, but eventually they will leave. You have no idea how badly you make every single person there feel and how it affects their daily personal life.