Bet365 Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
23 reviews filtered by
2.3
Denise and John Coates

1. Development roles continue to improve...

Current Employee - Software Developer in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Bet365 full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary.
    Good contributory pension,
    Assessed bonus.
    Convenient shops.

For devs, hope this helps...

Challenging development work with plenty of highly motivated and smart colleagues - there's a good supportive atmosphere in our team with a genuine drive for continued skill improvement.

Fair to say that the company has had crazy-rapid growth. From a dev perspective, this has been difficult and I understand some of the other negative comments posted and I have held some of those opinions myself in the past - it has been a strained, rocky journey at 365 at times - for myself at least.

The company is still changing rapidly and the management of the development process is evolving also.

In order to allow the business to be more agile and remain at the top, the product development process is becoming much more carefully managed and better organised so I feel - despite pressure of business demands - the dev role is improving all the time - very noticeably of late.

There is a definite and increasing sense that the management want to help us devs succeed in order to produce well structured, high quality, high performance software that is maintainable so that we can react to changes in business function rather than spend time patching code.

This is visibly the code trend emerging - from a previous product base that had honestly suffered due the demands of growth - focus is now squarely on methodology and quality as the facilitator for productivity -
    (rather than whip cracking) - which is how I think most devs prefer to operate - certainly appeals to the OCD in myself.

The company started out invested primarily in VB6 and SQL with classical web dev which transitioned to a focus in .Net (still a key tech) but the legacy is rapidly falling away - for a while now there has been a push in numerous directions with tech across all tiers, with an eye on current and emerging tech - lots of stuff going on - in my daily role I learn continuously and I don't need to worry about my market skill set value at all - adding value all the time.

As far as career opportunities go, due to company growth there seem to be as many openings as your ambitions wish to take you - so I don't really agree with other comments saying there is no career route - vacancies are always offered internally first as far as I can tell - and I have witnessed numerous internal role assignments and promotions over the years - I have personally been offered other opportunities as well - I just preferred to keep my current dev role.

Cons

Parking is crappy and facilities are stretched. Additional, large, purpose-built premises (to become available soon) will hopefully solve or at least mitigate these problems.

Very fast paced - pedal to the metal a lot of the time - coming previously from merchant banking in London I naively anticipated a relatively relaxed ride - no, they want contributors. Pro or a con?. That's down to individual attitude\expectations really but don't expect a 'drifting' existence.

Advice to Management

More of the same please ... things are just getting better all the time ... don't think I have felt happier in my role as a dev.

2. Things could be good with a few little changes.

I have been working at Bet365 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Coffee, which is free.
    Good Salaries.
    Family do a lot for the area.
    It's nice to see kids in the office.
    Yearly reviews with your manager.
    Annual bonus.
    Free Flu Jab if you are Senior or a Manager.
    Company car or car allowance for Seniors and Managers.
    Quick decision making from directors.
    Directors making effort to stay in uk.
    Management seems to be making an effort to sort problems out.
    A lot of employees over the age of 35 so not just focused on youth.

Cons

Bit blokey, mostly male environment in IT as a result if you are female your opinion isn't greatly listened to.
    While some managers are very good a few are bullying and this can make life unpleasant.
    Lack of adequate break facilities.
    Only a 30min lunch.
    Lack of career path.

Advice to Management

Things could be good with a few little changes. Improving the office culture and environment and giving occasional praise when things go well would make such a difference.

Certain departments are shocking

I worked at Bet365

Pros

Work colleagues and the pay

Cons

Management are bullies and choose who there flavour of the month is and give them benefits.
    Long working days with tedious tasks and no praise.
    important management and hr do not have a clue how there departments are ran and the stuff that goes on in there I'm sure if they did things would be a lot different

Advice to Management

Stop thinking you are above everyone and look after your staff. Stop chasing office skirt and focus on your job

Appalling culture of blame and harassment. Very incompetent middle managers.

Current Employee - Infrastructure in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Infrastructure in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Bet365

Pros

nice coffee, nice reception staff. Tea ladies are lovely.
    Salary is generous if you are willing to sell your soul.

Cons

bullying managers, lack of parking, terrible communication, terrible sickness policy, unpleasant atmosphere in office. Lots of back biting and nastiness amongst co workers. Very weak managers who discriminate regularly. Very much a dog eat dog culture.

Advice to Management

Remember that you have employed human beings and not robots. Train your middle managers so they know how to deal with people, and not just shuffle papers and point fingers when something goes wrong.
    Notice that middle managers regularly and unfairly treat their staff like something they have trodden in.
    Do something to improve morale as you have a very unhappy and disillusioned work force.
    Don't work your staff into the ground until,they become physically ill, then criticise them for being unwell.
    I would not recommend this company as an employer to anyone.
    Staff are treated differently depending on wether your manager likes you or not. This is a widespread problem in my department, but everyone is too afraid to stand up to management.
    I cannot wait to get another job and never have to see these petty bullies again.

Oh dear, where do I even begin...?

Current Employee - Developer in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Developer in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Bet365 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free coffee!!

5% contributory pension.

Mobile phone if you're management or on-call.

Car Allowance/Company Car for management-level positions.

Free parking for senior/management positions.

Depending on your manager, you may or may not receive regular one-to-ones.

Salaries are generally above market-average for the area.

Life Insurance.

Free annual flu jab for managers & senior employees.

Cons

If you're a workaholic, you'll love it at bet365, they'll have you working for 25 hours a day if you allow them.

Very poor work/life balance. If you're recently married or you've recently had children, stay away.

If you're looking to push the boundaries of your technical skills, forget it - bet365 are going backwards. If you're a Developer looking to further your skills, just take one look at the bet365 website - it runs classic ASP pages even though .NET's been around for years.

Some of the management are bullies. There is an inherent blame culture. Many of the Project Managers are paper shifters whose first comment is usually "and whose fault is that?".

Many of the people working at bet365 are fairly young and typically male. If you're over 35, you'll feel old.

Senior management simply refuse to listen or act on feedback or comments from employees. Positive feedback is often ignored or disagreed with.

Pay reviews are annual but generally based on the thoughts of the senior manager alone. There are no appraisals and no regular meetings to discuss targets, often despite reassurances to the contrary.

The apps are generally sticking plaster placed upon sticking plaster. There are literally hundreds of them, all badly controlled & maintained. The terms 'agile' and 'waterfall' simply do not apply.

Because the apps are badly maintained and the Testers fail to pick up even straightforward bugs, call-outs are regular. Traders think nothing of calling developers at 3AM who are then made to work on a call until 6AM and expected to be in the office for 9AM.

There is no culture of sharing technical information. Discussions above a whisper are generally frowned upon.

It's practically impossible to write a SQL stored procedure which passes first time - even if the change is tiny. The Dev DBAs will find a reason to fail it. Once you fix the issue, they'll find another issue. People call them the "Work Prevention Department" as it can sometimes take up to a week to push a simple change through.

Training is non-existent.

There is no Private Medical policy and no option to purchase.

No flexible benefits scheme.

No Salary Sacrifice option.

For the majority of employees, there is no valid career path.

25 days annual leave - but more than 10 days at a time must be approved by the Department Head.

Specifications are either extremely poor or non-existent. A web-based online system called 'Jira' is employed to deploy "specifications" - these are usually one-liners which often mean nothing to even senior employees as they're vague in context and simply lead to confusion.

Given the fact that hundreds of people work in each building on the site, there are just 6 toilet cubicles for men and 6 for women per building. This inevitably means that people have to queue simply to use the toilet. Not ideal if they're feeling unwell.

The sickness policy is 5 days per employee per annum meaning that many staff come into work when they're ill. Employees coughing, sneezing and even throwing up are regular occurrences. Management take a very dim view on people taking sick leave.

HR and Health & Safety issue badly worded emails to all staff at regular intervals. The words "all stick and no carrot" spring to mind. They even moaned about people drinking too much milk on one occasion.

Staff are not allowed to use mobile phones other than for emergency calls - and in any case all personal calls must be taken in the kitchen.

The owner's kids can often be heard whining as she brings them into the office and they spend hours each day in a meeting room.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, don't just decide straight away that they're wrong.

Adopt an open-door policy (including inviting anonymous email feedback).

Don't fob employees off with simply quoting sections from the Terms & Conditions.

Regular one-to-ones for team members.

Sack some of the bullies. One manager told me that one of my colleagues was "not a bet365 person" because he refused to work weekends, even though his wife had recently given birth.

Update the sickness policy. It's 2015. Several of my friends describe bet365 as being like a Victorian workhouse. It's not far wrong.

Don't take a job here unless you have no other offers on the table - IT department this is relevant too

Current Employee - IT in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I have been working at Bet365 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee and Tea is nice gesture I can not think of another advantage
    The pay is good when based on 40 hour week but not so good when you work out your have done 55 hours per week, sleep at your desk when you have worked 20hours and you keel over this is acceptable

Cons

Parking if you do not have a permit its very difficult to park. The are 9.00- 5.30 which turns into 6.30 7.30 8.30..
    I have never left at 5.30, lunch well apart from eating it at your desk, in your car or walking your stuck as the kitchen has room for 4 people to eat no canteen or tables for eating lunch if you eat at your desk you get pestered all lunchtime.

Advice to Management

Management need to take more care of the staff, if they are off sick it means they are sick.. they should not be made to work from home or have their mobiles on for calls. Management seem to have been replaced with some kind of Stepford models, don't complain just get on with the job. The culture or lack of it is very different to anywhere I have ever worked, I would say the majority of people stay as they live local and there are no other jobs, anyone travelling any kind of distance will soon realise the error of their ways..

Worst Place I have worked at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Bet365

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

This is the worst place that I have ever worked at. The management pay lip service to quality but in all essence do not engage in practises that encourage code quality such as BDD or TDD. The code base is awful, with God classes in abundance, repeated code everywhere. There is no focus on SOLID principles, or any principles at all. Management is old fashioned to the point of bullying, several times I left there after midnight. I have worked for some great managers in my time but Bet365 are appalling when it comes to management. They finger point, blame people but never look at their own failings. The requirements, specs and Acceptance Criteria are non existent so how can you expect to meet these at all and the family that runs the company are just workaholics which then trickles through the management tiers too everyone else creating a bad experience as people at all levels are afraid to push back or say no.

Its not wonder that the company has such a bad reputation within agencies, contractors, and software engineers from Birmingham to Manchester.

Advice to Management

Encourage proper quality, grow some balls with the family and treat people properly, not as numbers

Treated as anonymous, fungible bodies

I worked at Bet365 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salaries are good for the area.

Cons

No training offered in a year. No mention of future training or training budget.

Poor work-life balance, with bad project management resulting in the foreseeable overrun of every single project I've seen - with the consequent non-negotiable demand that you will put in additional hours - and those hours have included most project staff staying until 1am and coming back into work at 9am. Illegally, I believe.

Very frequent callouts for devs on on-call rota.

Creaking software stack with much appallingly written code still maintained and sticking-plastered over. Highly idiosyncratic software version control, 'Accurev', widely loathed by all the developers and which causes significant development & scheduling problems.

No proper attempt made to estimate development effort and no feedback of estimates into future estimates.

Bulk of development team appear to be contractors and all developers then treated like contractors - their views & input not solicited, and little involvement in project process.

Balkanisation of departments so they work together poorly. For example, project specification documents (always badly written, no version control used on them) are not directly accessible to developers who have to get at them via Citrix client.

A very waterfall-ish process that nevertheless still has significant changes being made to specifications when projects are in Test.

Poor management communications; vaguely threatening occasional ad-hoc direct meetings and no team or department meetings, at all, in a year. Culture of blame (recent incident, first management question was, 'whose fault was that'). Best management advice apparently quotes from a motivational book written by a footballer.

Threatening and badly-written comms from HR and related business functions - whole staff round-robins are written badly and keep a hint of threat and menace. Latest to all staff included the words, 'you have been warned'

There is a kowtowing deference to senior management, with middle managers repeating with excitement tales of passing someone senior in a corridor.

Work environment appalling, especially for those working in the portacabins; noise levels very high, physically cramped so you will often find yourself backing your chair into that of the person sitting behind you; floor and monitors bounce up and down as people walk past. Nearest toilets, too, are in portacabins.

Your PC will be very locked-down. You won't be able to install the little tools you use and like. My disk space has been in the warning red since I started. Your email will be deleted after 12 weeks. You won't be able to access your personal mail account from your work PC and your phone won't receive a signal in the portacabins. You will not have a phone on your desk.

Your lunch hour is in fact a lunch half-hour and you will rarely be able to take the whole half hour; you will be expected to respond to questions and demands during it. You will be sneered at if you point out it's your lunch.

Very laddish culture. Very, very few women working in software development; appreciate this is an industry fact but stats seems much worse at Bet365.

Advice to Management

Introduce regular team / department meetings to communicate business objectives and achievements.

Provide better working conditions for staff; quieter, more room, floors that don't bounce & don't shake your monitor

Introduce proper project estimation and feed that estimation back into future estimation.

Put aside dedicate resources to work on the problems that cause callouts

Plan to move off the very old and very badly-written legacy backend applications. Accept it as a cost of business.

Either try working a waterfall model properly or seriously attempt something more agile.

Be prepared to move on delivery times where you can. Project estimates are just that - estimates; the estimation process is not an exact science, and you currently foster very poor estimation.

Read better books on psychology if you want to understand and get the best out of your teams. Latest pop self-help nonsense ghost-written for a famous sports star doesn't fit the bill and is patronising

Train your HR and related staff in how to send emails that are more friendly.

It's a man's world.

Former Employee - Customer Account Advisor in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Account Advisor in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Bet365 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I would recommend this place to anyone who is desperate for money because in all honesty the pay isn't half bad. The bottom rung of the ladder was £15,000 when I worked there a few years ago, and I was only 18 so that wasn't a bad start to my savings.

They also don't seem to mind if you need to go down to part-time hours like I did.

There's always another department to work in if you don't like yours, there's tons of opportunity.

There's always over time at Christmas.

Cons

While they are flexible with part-time work, the hours that they ask you to work are pretty awful in some of the departments. When I first started working there I had to work somewhere between 7.00am- 23.00, and that was really tough because the hours change CONSTANTLY in those departments so you're never on a set shift- it makes it impossible to plan your life.

If someone in management doesn't like you, then you can say goodbye to any future prospects in the company, because they will block you.

You will be a number, not a person.

You will work christmas, unless you reserve holiday allowance and book it off, but even then be prepared to fight for it.

Advice to Management

I think you really need to pay attention to some of your power-mad supervisors. Whilst some are a breath of fresh-air some of them will happily sexually assault women and cause a lot of problems when they get rejected or knocked back.

Perhaps give some thought to not just valuing someone because they have worked there for X amount of time, but because of the quality of their work or their other strengths.

Remember that your staff are humans, not just a means for you to make money and when you treat them like robots you can cause them health problems and make their life miserable and it's not really acceptable.

Excellent local company, first class training and the team leaders and managers really look after the staff

Former Employee - Customer Service in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

I worked at Bet365 full-time

Pros

Training, fast paced, goog pay and perks and excellent promotion prospects

Cons

Parking, weekend shifts, really cannot think of anything else

Advice to Management

Great that a local family firm is investing so much time effort and money in the local area. Maybe look at the shift patterns to reduce the 3 out of 4 weekends slightly

Bet365 Photos