Betfair

Updated January 28, 2015
3.1

Betfair CEO Breon Corcoran
Breon Corcoran

Pros
  • Then you meet the great people who all share the thirst to take on the challenges and deliver (in 10 reviews)

• Good Environment,good people,fun events, television all over the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some projects had unrealistic timelines that led to long hours and really was affecting my work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• takes too long to get anything done, too much turnover amongst senior members of staff and therefore no clear direction (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

Former Employee - Product Manager in Hammersmith, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Hammersmith, England (UK)

I worked at Betfair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open plan modern work environment
    Sports coverage throughout the office
    Autonomy of work, as a product manager I was able to define and deliver work with a close knit dev team.

Cons

Staff retention
    Internal employees not considered for senior roles, external candidates preferred.

Encourage internal promotions rather than employing external candidates. In my opinion it will improve staff retention as individuals will see that peers are promoted based on work ethic and success and not overlooked for external candidates that do not understand the intricacies of the business/industry.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've worked in a lot of companies and Betfair is the best company that I've ever worked in. My team and colleagues in general are smart, enthusiastic and good friends, they're not simply just (colleagues). We have a great bond and that's why it pays dividends. My workload can be hectic but that's all a part of working for a fast-paced company. The pay is in-line with the industry (if not slightly better) and the benefits package is better than most companies that I've worked in and know about. The senior management team are experienced and are driving the company in the right direction. There's lots of opportunities to learn and develop.

Cons

In my first few months, there was a major restructure and it took a while for everything to settle but other than that, there's none. Restructures happen in any large organisation.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Desktop Support Engineer

I worked at Betfair as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Brilliant place to work. Sport on everywhere!!

Cons

None - I didn't see any cons

N\A

Really good company to work for and amazing

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at Betfair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work atmosphere and really good HR management that goes out of their way to fulfill the oddest requests from staff. They offer free courses and accreditation and the environment is really good in the dev teams.

Cons

Some political fights in the upper management, but that is the kind of thing you see everywhere.

Great challenge, great people, a thirst to get stuff done!

Current Employee - Technology in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technology in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfair full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt the technical challenge is the most alluring part of working at Betfair. Then you meet the great people who all share the thirst to take on the challenges and deliver. There is no blame culture, everyone is massively supportive, the business is growing. It's great fun.

Cons

It's a big business and publicly owned. With this comes the need to assess multiple providers for any solution and undertake due diligence. Yes, it slows things down when you want to progress at 100mph but it is needed and I've seen far worse.

Keep encouraging the technical innovation and thirst to find solutions. Promote the Betfair tech brand. The engineering challenges are world class and you have a world class team dealing with it.

They look after staff

I worked at Betfair part-time (less than a year)

Pros

flexible with commitments, no problems booking time, fun

Cons

none that come to mind really

Very positive experience. Everyone was very welcoming and there was very little giving out.

Former Employee - SPORTS TRADER in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - SPORTS TRADER in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Betfair full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice people, relaxed atmosphere. Lots of nights out and bonding exercises. Nice canteen. Free tea and coffee.

Cons

Messy structure. Nobody knows who is answerable for what. High staff turnover. People are constantly leaving and there is new staff every day.

They just need more time to get organised.

Fast paced, challenging and exciting

Current Employee - Director of Technology in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director of Technology in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfair full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not afraid to embrace new technology. Lots of great people, very friendly working atmosphere. In Betfair there is always something to learn and always someone able and willing to teach.

Cons

Betfair isn't for everyone, it is a fast pace environment with lots of change. To succeed at Betfair you need to flexible and don't be afraid to ask everyone is willing to help, but are probably too busy to notice you need help unless you ask for it.

Great Company

Former Employee - Head of Marketing Acquisitions in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Head of Marketing Acquisitions in London, England (UK)

I worked at Betfair full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, challenging work place that pushes you and who wouldn't want to work in an office with sports playing 24/7 on huge wall mounted tv's.

Cons

I never really had any downsides working at Betfair. Management changed around a bit whilst I was there but that's because it's a fast growing company so if you don't like change....

Manage the internal changes to the company better.

Great experience working for a growing and very dynamic young company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Betfair

Pros

Great company full of talented, dedicated and proud people. Love of sport mandatory. Always a good buzz in the office.

Cons

Lack of organisational maturity makes it hard to navigate at times. Prone to the occasional knee jerk.

A little more trust would go a long long way. Keep the faith and push onwards and upwards.