Betfair Reviews

Updated September 10, 2014
2.8

Betfair CEO Breon Corcoran
Breon Corcoran

Pros
  • good people, great office in a decent location, ample staff perks (in 5 reviews)

• There are some great people to work with (not always easy to find though (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • takes too long to get anything done, too much turnover amongst senior members of staff and therefore no clear direction (in 5 reviews)

• the lack of work - life balance, extremely long hours and high expectations (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Technology Company

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Betfair full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked with Betfair for more than five years and I was really happy with the organisation. Its a classic example of a successful dot.com story. Most of the engineers and managers, I came across were really smart and highly skilled in their jobs, so the opportunities I had to learn from them were available in plenty. Anyone who loves technology would enjoy working in Betfair.

Cons

Like any other organisation, things started changing when the firm was being run like an investment bank. Going public and changes in the senior management severely impacted the inherent culture of the organisation. All the experienced personnel who built the company left the company. Redundancies over the years have also not helped preserving the talent and the tacit knowledge people had about the organisation.

Provide stability, preserve the talent and don't do too many changes on a regular basis.

A good idea, mismanaged.

Former Employee - Web Content Manager  in  Valletta (Malta)
    Former Employee - Web Content Manager in Valletta (Malta)

I worked at Betfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like sports and betting, ideally is the best company around. Nice people and atmosphere and good working hours as well as competent team leaders.

Cons

When you get in you start to feel that is not all gold the bright you see. The company is very british and jerarquic and lower ranks and foreigners are not welcome. Also, during the period on which the company was took public, senior management abuse of their position and got great payouts when the shares got nowhere and employes lose money in the offering. Disapointing,

Promotions are not given to the right people. Too much money wasted by useless WASP marketers around.

Telebroker,on course market opps,Betfair education and customer recruiting at live events

Former Employee - Telebroker  in  Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Telebroker in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Betfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enjoyed the variety working for other departments,even if it did mean doing 70+ hours a week. Fellow telebrokers were willing to swap shifts with me to enable me to carry out duties for other departments

Cons

The challenges were mainly having to cope with the majority of middle managers who were absolutely clueless,and in most cases useless. I encountered at least 10 in my time (mainly because of the different departments i worked for),MOST appeared to have been employed ONLY on who they knew rather than what they knew!! I was there in the pre-flotation days,and although Betfair made profits in those days,those profits were a LOT LESS than they should have been due to CLOWNS at the top. I was mainly in Stevenage where the director was about as much use as using a hockey stick to return a Nadal serve!! A departmental manager once told me 'We pulled the wool over her eyes left,right and centre' The result was the employment of more 'yes' people who were of little use in driving the company forward and were just an unnecessary expense. In my early working years (not in the betting industry) I was told by the oldboy of my department that a person at the top won't employ someone better than him/her because they will be a threat,so he employs someone not as good as him. That next person does the same and so one,resulting in a dilution of talent from the top downwards. That was Stevenage to a tee and from what I saw at Hammersmith it looked similar there. Those sort of frustrations were evident in at lest 3 very talented and knowlegdeable people leaving. As I am still in contact with ex colleagues I have learnt that a lot of those 'managers' I described were dispensed with,so it appears I was not the only person who saw them as a problem. Alas one of two managed to avoid the axe

I can't really advise as it is 4 years since I left. The advice i would've given the day I left appears to have been carried out,namely getting rid of a lot of rubbish

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mammoth

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  ─Žamrun (Malta)
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in ─Žamrun (Malta)

I worked at Betfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

New buiding
    Fruits in the kitchen

Cons

Very noisy open office
    British way is the only way
    Local colleagues

Make some changes, update company culture

Amazing experience with a sad finale...

Former Employee - Platform Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Platform Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Betfair full-time for less than a year

Pros

As a systems administrator I was member of a group if really good engineers! Really skilled, clever and great people to work with I had a decent time. Also, the benefits for the employees were really good.

Cons

The redundancies that are taking place (from time to time) just ruined the work environment. The best engineers left and as far as I know, nothing is like before. I am so sad I had to resign because of the redundancies announced. I had the chance to change my kind but it was too late...

When you get the best people, don't just risk to loose them. You know the end, you always try to find people to hire again. You have a great company in your hands, help the company to grow and not to shrink!

EDS Analyst

Current Employee - EDS Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - EDS Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Environment,good people,fun events, television all over the company

Cons

bad management, less pay,long hours,inconsistent technology

Very long days the norm

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Betfair full-time

Pros

Exciting environment with a young staff who all have a deep love for sports.

Interesting and varied work in a challenging but rewarding environment.

Cons

Very steep learning curve which you are expected to pick up very quickly without the required support.

More realistic expectations of new hires otherwise you will continue to lose good people across the board and in key areas.

A good example of a once great company gone wrong

Former Employee - Operations  in  Mosta (Malta)
    Former Employee - Operations in Mosta (Malta)

I worked at Betfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Certainly a good place to learn a new role, with a variety available at starter level, all the way up to the top. Cross department moves are regular occurrence.

Cons

Massive lack of knowledge of the products at all levels within the company, especially middle management. Most of the management have never placed a bet in their lives and wouldn't know how to on the Betfair website.

Try learning about the product and company you work for and don't just treat it like every other bland mid management role. You're not working in a 9-5 accountancy firm! Stop spending millions of pounds on trendy adverts that nobody likes!

Prison would have been more enjoyable

Former Employee - Trading  in  Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Trading in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Betfair full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management team are so inept at Trading that you could tell them whatever you want and they'd believe you.

Cons

I think it was South Park that called someone a 'succubus' - a woman from hell sent to earth to suck the life out of you and spit you out. Something similar applies here to the Trading managers. Except you will get excreted on too. You will get run into the ground for little reward. If you show you are capable you are in trouble.

Leave

Crazy busy but fun and rewarding

Former Employee - Development Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Development Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Betfair full-time for more than a year

Pros

The role really built up my technical knowledge and leadership skills. Betfair is (was?) a fun place to work, with great benefits and a very competitive salary.

Cons

I got very tired of constantly being in meetings. It often felt like senior management didn't care about anything except revenue.

Stop constantly changing your mind about business priorities; let your fantastic teams get on with building great products.

Worked for Betfair? Contribute to the Community!