Betfair Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
5 reviews filtered by
  • Stevenage, England (UK)
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset
3.8
Betfair CEO Breon Corcoran
Breon Corcoran
1 Rating

Pros
  • Then you meet the great people who all share the thirst to take on the challenges and deliver (in 10 reviews)

• Good people up to Head of departments (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • A long hours and presenteeism culture still pervades even with the drive towards promoting work life balance and the need to work efficiently (in 5 reviews)

• Limited opportunity to move around and no clear career path or project management specific career development (in 5 reviews)

1. A vibrant place to work, where learning is at its centre.

Former Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Betfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Personal Improvement & Development is central to Betfair's employee engagement targets.

Cons

The staff is rather underpaid when considering the workload and skills involved.

Advice to Management

This is a corporate environment, but transparency in decision-making can still be improved.

2. Refreshing, especially for a customer service role!

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfair full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good level of pay, overtime is always available without being forced at all, the office vibe is brilliant, all the managers are one of the boys and the location of the office is handy for those who commute.

Cons

The only one that really springs to mind is that utilities such as the phone system, and the programme for viewing and distributing the rota seem to undergo dubious changes every-so-often, although, having said that, this is probably more down to contractual reasons than choice.

Advice to Management

Pick a system and stick with it! However, you are doing a brilliant job at glamming up a role that involves being shouted at down the phone a lot, and creating a fantastic atmosphere that makes you want to come in every day and argue with customers!

Good company, terrible management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bupa health care
    Nice office

Cons

Managers have no time for their staff, and undervalue them. Have to work a large number of weekends. To get a promotion you need to be very chummy with the boss, or you dont stand a chance.

Advice to Management

Look after your best staff, don't treat them as poorly as you have, or they will continue to leave and the high turnover of staff will continue.

5. Telebroker,on course market opps,Betfair education and customer recruiting at live events

Former Employee - Telebroker in Stevenage, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Telebroker in Stevenage, England (UK)

I worked at Betfair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed the variety working for other departments,even if it did mean doing 70+ hours a week. Fellow telebrokers were willing to swap shifts with me to enable me to carry out duties for other departments

Cons

The challenges were mainly having to cope with the majority of middle managers who were absolutely clueless,and in most cases useless. I encountered at least 10 in my time (mainly because of the different departments i worked for),MOST appeared to have been employed ONLY on who they knew rather than what they knew!! I was there in the pre-flotation days,and although Betfair made profits in those days,those profits were a LOT LESS than they should have been due to CLOWNS at the top. I was mainly in Stevenage where the director was about as much use as using a hockey stick to return a Nadal serve!! A departmental manager once told me 'We pulled the wool over her eyes left,right and centre' The result was the employment of more 'yes' people who were of little use in driving the company forward and were just an unnecessary expense. In my early working years (not in the betting industry) I was told by the oldboy of my department that a person at the top won't employ someone better than him/her because they will be a threat,so he employs someone not as good as him. That next person does the same and so one,resulting in a dilution of talent from the top downwards. That was Stevenage to a tee and from what I saw at Hammersmith it looked similar there. Those sort of frustrations were evident in at lest 3 very talented and knowlegdeable people leaving. As I am still in contact with ex colleagues I have learnt that a lot of those 'managers' I described were dispensed with,so it appears I was not the only person who saw them as a problem. Alas one of two managed to avoid the axe

Advice to Management

I can't really advise as it is 4 years since I left. The advice i would've given the day I left appears to have been carried out,namely getting rid of a lot of rubbish

The Boat Is Sinking

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Stevenage, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hard working and Intelligent People

Cons

Too many managers:Too much politics:No promotion prospects:

Advice to Management

You are dealing with people - not robots::

RSS Feed </> Embed