Betfred Reviews

1.4
Betfred Chairman Fred Done
Fred Done

1. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Betfred full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Able to progress quickly
    - great job security
    - flexible working hours
    - staff incentives
    - a good place to gain experience or for part time work

Cons

- poor career progression after you have reached store management
    - store management pay is not competitive
    - gambling industry is unethical, you will be increasing peoples addictions

Advice to Management

- delegate more responsibility to store management
    - identify top performers and provide extra training
    - allow managers to recruit their own staff
    - provide a staff council
    - do not force staff to carry out unethical promotions

Telephone Operator (tote/ Betfred)

Former Employee - Telephone Worker in Wigan, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Telephone Worker in Wigan, England (UK)

I worked at Betfred part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When we were tote it was a good place to work Colleges Now it is Betfred there is no staff moral as we no longer get holidays when we want them as there is no staff
    The only pro are the people we work with

Cons

An awful place to work, we take bets off customers over the phone, all staff try their best and have good sport and betting knowledge but the equipment and software is diabolical that makes us look incompetent, we are constantly bombarded with abuse and fowl language off the customers, if we report this to a supervisor they do not care , we are very short staffed and the company will not take on anyone else which means we cannot take days off or have holidays when we want! It is shift work but we are not allowed to swap shifts there is no compassion. In Betfred it went from a good company to work for when it was tote to one of the worst to work for..

Advice to Management

Review break time if we work an 8 hour shift a ten minute break every 3 hours is not acceptable

Improve computer software and health and safely as we have computer monitors propped up with cardboard boxes and loose wires everywhere
    Employe New staff or increase the hours of current staff who want them,

Betfred the minimal pay for increasingly more effort

Current Employee - Deputy Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Deputy Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfred

Pros

Relaxed working atmosphere most of the time, you can become shop manager from having no betting shop experience in 5 months. So in effect you still dont know much but your running a shop where people lose there money on a daily basis. Helps create arguments.

Cons

PAY = Abysmal. You start on miminum wage and don't expect to get any increase until you become an Deputy Sales Manager. Even then its a massive 50p per hour. That's £7 an hour to you and me. This is them showing you thanx for being able to run the shop on nearly everyone of your shifts. So in effect £7 an hour to manage a shop. Very few experienced staff left since a business reconstruction last year 2014 due to shop managers being expected to be happy with a 5 grand + pay cut. The only real change I've noticed is the motto having changed from "Betfred The Bonus King" to "you'll love a bit of Betfred". They expect you to understand made up words used only by the company, "thrillability". No attention is paid to its staff until the moment you make a mistake and then they'll jump down your throat like a pack of rabid hyena's. With an average of 5 staff members per shop team and shop being graded by 4 grades depending upon profitability just 10 per cent of shop staff employees earn a living wage and they are all shop managers, no differance in pay for lower grades even though you work in the same shop. It also means that you could work in a shop in a deprived area take 500 bets a day with most being roughly £1 or 50p bets and still be in the bottom half of the table, where as you could work in a quiet shop taking 100 bets a day in a wealthy area with an average stake of £20 - £50 and be in the top half of the table doing far less work. The company seems to be set up to make its staff fail. No love is shown to its staff members unless strangely enough for a Manchester United Supporting boss you work in Liverpool under the same company name where you are paid more than the rest of the country. You get endless amounts of paper work to fill out, procedures popping out of your eye balls and if you fail on one thats a disaplinary hearing on some poxy trumped up charge. Then what can we poor suckers do, not like we can afford a lawyer or something not when you paid paid hand to mouth wages. No sick pay either so if your sick you dont get paid just lose money, money most staff can ill afford.

Advice to Management

Your staff want to be able to live not just survive.

Diabolically awful company to work for

I have been working at Betfred

Pros

A job. Most of the customers were nice. Playing demo on machines. Some of my colleagues.

Cons

Low pay. Extremely high turn over of staff. Very cliche company. Not allowed to have any time off sick at all otherwise deemed an unacceptable level of attendance, even one day!!! Management neither listen or care about your opinions. Very unfair company. Forever understaffed. Wonder why?

Advice to Management

I would try but they dont listen or care.

Job okay, company isn't

Current Employee - Duty Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Duty Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Betfred full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work at the racecourse.
    Meet a lot of people; staff and customers alike.
    It is often enjoyable meeting people...

Cons

The pay is awful at Betfred in comparison to other Bookmakers. You are very often asked to work on your day off, or to travel miles to other shops- which you are not offered expenses for. You very rarely work your contracted hours- usually working many extra hours. The training program is unstructured; your manager trains you for everything (regardless of how competent they are at their job), and you are often asked to travel miles away for basic training exercises for new-starters, regardless of how long you yourself have been with the company for.

Advice to Management

A more professional presentation of cashier, DM, and manager exams would make people take the job more seriously. I have had new cashiers sat there correcting page after page of awful grammar and spelling on the promotion documents.

This company needs to have a long hard look at their attitude and treatment of staff

I worked at Betfred

Pros

I'm leaving so that's good

Cons

An arrogant ruthless attitude towards the very people lining their pockets. Breathtakingly dreadful in every way. I've resigned after years of service and the response I got was ..no response not an acknowledgement or a word about it! How they can still carry on is beyond me

Advice to Management

It's the culture. They all need to resign and better still dear old Fred needs to reflect a bit about humans before money after all you can't take it with you

Shockingly bad company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Betfred full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice offices and modern equipment

Cons

No staff benefits at all, no sick pay, no sense of staff feeling valued at all. Very unstable - they dismiss people with no warning and no communication.

Advice to Management

Sort yourselves out - the way you treat your staff is appalling and verging on illegal. Start valuing your staff and treating them like human beings instead of commodities to be cast aside when it suits you. You say you have that 'northern warmth' - start displaying it to your staff as well as your customers before its too late!

reasonably pleasant but downsides lead me to leave

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Milton Keynes, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at Betfred full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my co-workers and my customers

Cons

PAY! I was an assistant manager earning £7 an hour. for all that responsibility that is shocking. Managers dont seem to care about their staff. we do all the favours for our managers i.e. work in other shops miles away from our base shop and work on our days off but then get nothing back in return.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay as betfred pays the worst in the industry. Have better staff incentives rather than "roulette competition, shop with the most entries in the region will receive a £25 asda voucher" there are 300 shops in the region. we have a 299/1 chance to win £25 split 4-5 ways, not great motivation there.

Not allowed to use bad language, which is difficult to review this company without expletives

Current Employee - Not Sure Now But Was Called Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Not Sure Now But Was Called Shop Manager

I have been working at Betfred full-time

Pros

If you like living on the breadline then work for this company

Cons

Working on a low salary, the abuse, threats and constant lack of support

Advice to Management

Nothing I can say, as Management do not listen, whatever we say they will dismiss it, even if I idea's are good, they will be ignored, so I will continue to let the company go down on the spiral route they are taking

The worst company I have ever worked for!

Former Employee - Manager Grade4 in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager Grade4 in Caerphilly, Wales (UK)

I worked at Betfred full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The colleagues I worked with and the customers.

Cons

Low pay, low morale, no support, no sick pay, no bonus scheme, single manning constantly.

Advice to Management

Invest in your front line staff or lose your business.

RSS Feed </> Embed