Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.6

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center President & CEO Kevin Tabb, M.D.
Kevin Tabb, M.D.

Pros
  • Cheap Red Sox tickets for staff (in 8 reviews)

• Great educators and work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • okay place to work if you dont mind low pay (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management changes has resulted in an aloof, exclusive inner circle with poor communication (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Extremely positive

Current Employee - Classified in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Classified in Boston, MA

I have been working at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work, generally a very positive working environment

Cons

Trying to get paid at market rates is a disappointing process, even when supported by senior management. HR has their marching orders, and they know how to march.

Lighten up on the diversity, and start paying people based on merit, not based on gender and other non-performing attributes.

A professional, respectful atmosphere but no time for career development

Current Employee - Facilities Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Facilities Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are friendly and helpful.

Cons

If you are not a talented medical professional, you are not viewed as an important asset to the organization.

Encourage employees to take time to sharpen their skills, then support those efforts by funding training and certification as appropriate.

Good learning experience but not much room for growth

Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

Great life learning experience. BIDMC as a whole, and as a patient provider, is great (my own doctor was located there for years). My review is about my employment experience.

Cons

Salary is low, even when compared to comparable positions in nearby hospitals. Not much room for growth.
    I worked at an ARO within the hospital, the tried to act as its own entity, but was bound by BIDMC rules. Because there was a limited budget, we relied heavily on volunteer international fellows seeking US medical residency, so turnover was high and frequent. Even staff turnover was high and frequent. Environment at work was always tense and unnecessarily frantic and stressful. Management fostered an environment that pitted employees against fellows rather than a truly collaborative, learning environment. There was absolutely no work-life balance, and when you took time off, you were still expected to respond to emails/texts/calls immediately (even if you are at a relative's funeral).

Senior management troubled

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

Pros

Great clinical care despite dearth of resources and equipment.

Cons

Does anyone trust management? Leadership strife is evident and worries many of us.

Stop thinking "I" and work together for the sake of the patients and employees. It is obvious there is not a strong bond or trust amongst you. The CEO needs to be more engaged but is only interested in external activities while the place continues to slide downwards.

Nice place to work, but not much room for growth

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Harvard Affiliate, decent cafeteria, convenient location

Cons

HR controls salaries even in grant-funded positions, little-to-no morale-building activities (look for a new/tech company for any fun employer activities), very old-age dynamic. Making taking a "selfie" with one of the Red Sox World Series rings an event is laughable.

Buildings are older and benefits aren't spectacular. Administrative structure creates unnecessary obstacles for research teams, making you question whether research and innovation are a value or just the bottom line.

There is no structure for advancement in positions or salaries. If you want to move up or find new challenges, you're going to have to apply for a new position either in another department or elsewhere.

Make your employees feel like you appreciate them. Don't make researchers have to jump through hoops.

Researcher

Current Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA

Pros

The Harvard medical research and clinical network is immense and having a Harvard e-mail can open a lot of doors. Good insurance, $5 red sox tickets. Very multinational and ambitious collaborators.

Cons

Expensive to live near, expensive to park near. Commutes can be long and Boston drivers are tense. Environment can be demanding which produces an occasionally nasty/bitter co-worker.
      Research space in my group was tight and unorganized, which led to unnecessary tension exacerbated by a particularly nasty administrator

Would be nice if a minimal research space organization and cleanliness was mandated, this matters to me but not enough others cared to make a difference. Corporate America figured out that work space affects productivity a while ago.

Travel nursing assignment that lead to long term opportunity

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA

I have been working at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Professional nursing is highly regarded at BI. Staff is welcoming, supportive, considerate and innovative to providing nursing what it needs to best care for patients. After all, this is the official hospital of the Boston Red Sox!

Cons

Commute from outside of Boston was a challenge but the chance to work in one of the most well regarded hospitals in Boston and the country was worth the drive.

good place

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Boston, MA

I have been working at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

it is a friendly place to work

Cons

the benefits could be better

Human First.

Current Employee - Unit Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Unit Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is nice to work here because everyone is committed to working as a team to provide the best care for our patients.

Cons

Expensive parking for employees is a con.

Always keep up with yearly reviews.

I enjoy coming to work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA

I have been working at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, occasional incentive pay/opportunity for OT, teaching hospital, high acutiy = great opportunity to learn, self scheduling

Cons

Management poor, non-unionized. Could have better pay. Difficult to get time off/make use of earned time. Unsafe staffing at times.

Better scheduling/staffing to allow better use of earned time