Bethel University

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014
3.5

CEO

Bethel is a great University that sharpens students skills to be the most effective leaders of our day.

Former Employee - Delegate Team Member in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Delegate Team Member in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Christian environmnet, values, career connections, awesome faculty

Cons

Not everyone wants to abide by the covenant

Plus

I have been working at Bethel University

Pros

Good faculty. This is a very supportive environment to students. They seek to allow students to flourish.

Cons

It was extremely expensive. However, I had over half of my tuition and housing covered by scholarships and minimal loans.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University

Pros

Great Work-Life Balance
    Great People
    Not too much bureaucracy

Cons

Low Compensation
    Not Much Room For Career Growth

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Bethel University

Pros

The community is unbeatable - working at Bethel has provided me with a sense of belonging and life-long friendships. Working in an institution where Christian beliefs are incorporated into higher education has been beneficial to me on many levels.

Cons

In comparison to other academic institutions, the salary is much lower.

I have enjoyed working here!

great opportunities

Current Employee - Chef in Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Chef in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

leadership is experienced abd caring

Cons

stuck in a rut and need a fresh look

use strengths not emotional attachments

Great support, benefits, and work-life balance

Former Employee - Student Writer in Arden Hills, MN
    Former Employee - Student Writer in Arden Hills, MN

I worked at Bethel University as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

I was well-supported by my manager, there was a great work-life balance, and I held similar values as my fellow employees.

Cons

The salaries aren't great and there seems to be a lack of communication throughout several departments.

There needs to be more focus on efficiency and task.

Was a true joy to work with the Professor's, staff, and Faculty at BU. I raised close to 4 million for them in 4 years.

Former Employee - Senior Development Officer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Development Officer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bethel University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The impact BU has on the training up men and Women is priceless.

Cons

Sadly they ran into financial problems and had to eliminate 55 job, very sad.

I'm praying that they can pull out of the hardship they are now in.

I completed my MA in Organizational Leadership, as well as my Post-Secondary Teaching Certificate, at Bethel University.

I worked at Bethel University

Pros

Bethel has a high standard of education. The University also has excellent Professors, who engage and challenge students to think for themselves, against the backdrop of all theories, classic, as well as contemporary, while, at the same time, integrating faith and spirituality -- without which learning cannot occur. Bethel students leave the school with an excellent understanding of what they believe, why they believe it, and know what others believe -- and can engage individuals with diverse beliefs in calm understanding, tolerance, and serious discussion.

Cons

In the past few years, I have discovered that many universities hire individuals from within their organizations -- either recent graduates or friends and family. While hiring from within is commendable on one hand, the practice isolates the institution from more diverse and new ideas, and can eventually lead to unproductive nepotism -- and an institution's slow death. Change is difficult, and often challenging, but necessary for continued growth and success. I believe that Bethel has not been exempt from the problems associated with the practice of hiring too many people from within its immediate circle of influence.

While it is important for an organization to remain true to its vision and mission, it may be beneficial to diversify to "pool" from which new employees are hired. There are many individuals, who are qualified, have an excellent work ethic, will remain true to the institution's vision, but will bring fresh, new, ideas to the table. These individuals are often ignored,because they do not "fit" neatly into a job description. My advice would be to take a bit more time, and personally interview new-hire candidates, with an open mind.

Admissions Counselor

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University

Pros

Bethel is very good to their employees. Within the admissions office there were countless individuals who were positive, kind, encouraging, and hard working. I always felt appreciated and valued within the admissions team.

Cons

My main concern with Bethel, both in the admissions office and the University at large, was the mild ignorance and naivety. I feel like it was usually by default and not in a vindictive manner, rather, they are just that way because it is all they have ever known. I would have liked them to be more open minded.

I think the office needs to diversify a bit, not necessarily in ethnicity, but in world views.

Relaxed, friendly and fun place to spend every day

I have been working at Bethel University

Pros

Environment of students and employees with a Christian mindset; relaxed atmosphere; great dining options; casual; friendly workers

Cons

Can be noisy and crowded depending on the area, due to it being a university