Bethel University

3.6

CEO

Disorganized Environment

I have been working at Bethel University full-time

Pros

There are some wonderful people here that would give you the shirt off there back to help you. The benefits here are wonderful.

Cons

This is not a organized place to work. So many people have left in the past year either by layoff, forced out, or decided the place is not worth working for and left. A lot of long term people even in senior management have left. If the people on top are leaving what does that say to those under them. It has gone from a family environment to one that I think is not covered under the covenant which not everyone follows at all

There needs to be work on the environment of the organization and stick to the covenant you make everyone sign. If you walk away from the faith, Bethel has nothing to offer

great opportunities

Current Employee - Chef  in  Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Chef in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

leadership is experienced abd caring

Cons

stuck in a rut and need a fresh look

use strengths not emotional attachments

Bethel is a great University that sharpens students skills to be the most effective leaders of our day.

Former Employee - Delegate Team Member  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Delegate Team Member in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Christian environmnet, values, career connections, awesome faculty

Cons

Not everyone wants to abide by the covenant

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great support, benefits, and work-life balance

Former Employee - Student Writer  in  Arden Hills, MN
    Former Employee - Student Writer in Arden Hills, MN

I worked at Bethel University as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I was well-supported by my manager, there was a great work-life balance, and I held similar values as my fellow employees.

Cons

The salaries aren't great and there seems to be a lack of communication throughout several departments.

There needs to be more focus on efficiency and task.

Plus

I have been working at Bethel University

Pros

Good faculty. This is a very supportive environment to students. They seek to allow students to flourish.

Cons

It was extremely expensive. However, I had over half of my tuition and housing covered by scholarships and minimal loans.

Was a true joy to work with the Professor's, staff, and Faculty at BU. I raised close to 4 million for them in 4 years.

Former Employee - Senior Development Officer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Development Officer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Bethel University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The impact BU has on the training up men and Women is priceless.

Cons

Sadly they ran into financial problems and had to eliminate 55 job, very sad.

I'm praying that they can pull out of the hardship they are now in.

An average provider of higher education with major fiscal challenges

Current Employee - Professor  in  Arden Hills, MN
    Current Employee - Professor in Arden Hills, MN

I have been working at Bethel University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The mix of academic employees includes some true visionaries capable of advancing teaching and scholarship in ways that could benefit students. The atmosphere is friendly and feels mostly safe for students.

Cons

The institutional culture is such that, in response to major financial challenges, Bethel has shown in recent years that it prefers to cut academic teachers while leaving secondary campus services untouched. Students will increasingly realize that they are paying for an inordinate amount of fluff and that the institution is moving in the direction of for-profit education.

Bring in some advisers who understand education and listen to them.

I completed my MA in Organizational Leadership, as well as my Post-Secondary Teaching Certificate, at Bethel University.

I worked at Bethel University

Pros

Bethel has a high standard of education. The University also has excellent Professors, who engage and challenge students to think for themselves, against the backdrop of all theories, classic, as well as contemporary, while, at the same time, integrating faith and spirituality -- without which learning cannot occur. Bethel students leave the school with an excellent understanding of what they believe, why they believe it, and know what others believe -- and can engage individuals with diverse beliefs in calm understanding, tolerance, and serious discussion.

Cons

In the past few years, I have discovered that many universities hire individuals from within their organizations -- either recent graduates or friends and family. While hiring from within is commendable on one hand, the practice isolates the institution from more diverse and new ideas, and can eventually lead to unproductive nepotism -- and an institution's slow death. Change is difficult, and often challenging, but necessary for continued growth and success. I believe that Bethel has not been exempt from the problems associated with the practice of hiring too many people from within its immediate circle of influence.

While it is important for an organization to remain true to its vision and mission, it may be beneficial to diversify to "pool" from which new employees are hired. There are many individuals, who are qualified, have an excellent work ethic, will remain true to the institution's vision, but will bring fresh, new, ideas to the table. These individuals are often ignored,because they do not "fit" neatly into a job description. My advice would be to take a bit more time, and personally interview new-hire candidates, with an open mind.

Admissions Counselor

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University

Pros

Bethel is very good to their employees. Within the admissions office there were countless individuals who were positive, kind, encouraging, and hard working. I always felt appreciated and valued within the admissions team.

Cons

My main concern with Bethel, both in the admissions office and the University at large, was the mild ignorance and naivety. I feel like it was usually by default and not in a vindictive manner, rather, they are just that way because it is all they have ever known. I would have liked them to be more open minded.

I think the office needs to diversify a bit, not necessarily in ethnicity, but in world views.

I do not recommend working for Bethel University.

Former Employee - Faculty  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Faculty in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Bethel University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some great faculty, mission driven (mostly), good football team.

Cons

As a faculty (and most likely a staff member as well), you won't be hired by Bethel unless you meet their Christian faith requirements (which are very conservative). Very complicated (potentially impossible) place to work, especially if you are perceived as skeptical of leadership decisions. If you are a person of color, then this is a much, much more complicated (and potentially unfriendly) place to be.

Not worth the effort.

Worked for Bethel University? Contribute to the Community!