Bethel University TN Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
12 reviews filtered by
2.5
CEO

1. I've been working part-time for the university.

I have been working at Bethel University TN part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great management
    - Extremely friendly and helpful co-workers and supervisor
    - Workload is not stressful

Cons

- No real opportunity for advancement
    - Did not receive per hour pay discussed in interview (I assume it is an issue with HR, not my supervisor)
    - Did not receive pay raise after my probation period because I could potentially leave for full-time employment. (Once again, I believe it is an HR issue)

Advice to Management

Do not be afraid to pay your employees. I would be more willing to stay if I was being paid what I was told in the beginning.

2. I worked with this school for 4 years. I taught ground and online courses. This position was a blessing to me!

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in McKenzie, TN
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in McKenzie, TN

I worked at Bethel University TN

Pros

One of the biggest pros was the ability to work from home. This allowed time for family and to build my law practice. Also, Bethel was one of the higher paying online schools I have worked with.

Cons

This con is common in most schools I have worked with: Frequent staff changes result in having at least 4 different immediate supervisors over a 4 year period.

Advice to Management

Reduce turnover of supervisors through increased retention efforts.

3. Good people on campus to work with and around. Well organized department and honest employees.

Former Employee - Security Officer in McKenzie, TN
    Former Employee - Security Officer in McKenzie, TN

I worked at Bethel University TN

Pros

Steady work - 40 hours, plus overtime.
    Job functions are not very demanding.
    Great upper management - flexible and willing to work with your schedule.
    Fun work environment.

Cons

The annual salary is lower than avaerage, but for the position and the demands of the position, I believe the annual wage to be fair.

Advice to Management

None.

Adjunct Facilitator

Current Contractor - Adjunct Facilitator in Jackson, TN
    Current Contractor - Adjunct Facilitator in Jackson, TN

I have been working at Bethel University TN as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with adult learners is very rewarding. The cohort format encourages learning from classmate experiences and knowledge. The administrative and advising staff are very helpful. The compensation is comparable to similar non-traditional degree programs.

Cons

Students sometimes lack the writing skills necessary for optimal learning. Faculty guides are somewhat outdated. Facilitators have to develop powerpoint presentations for classes.

Advice to Management

Communicate with students to find out which facilitators are most and least effective. Reward superior rated facilitators with more consistent scheduling. Upgrade outdated equipment and make sure all facilitators are knowledgeable in APA guidelines. Make unannounced visits to classes to review facilitator performance.

Run Away!!!

I have been working at Bethel University TN

Pros

Free parking.
    There are no other pros

Cons

Bethel University College of Professional Studies gives degrees to the dumbest of the dumb. If you can breathe you can get your degree from here. Leadership all received their degrees from here (that's the biggest problem)They all have extremely childish menatailty and if you make any of them mad your gone. Stay away from this place!!!!!

Advice to Management

Hire management who have degrees from reputable colleges.

Stay far away!! unprofessional and illegitimate!

Current Employee - Online Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Online Advisor in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Bethel University TN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

most weekends off, free parking

Cons

lack of training, accepts no feedback of any kind, poor salary with unmet promises of raises, terrible leadership with no communication skills, HIGHLY UNORGANIZED and unprofessional, insincere HR department, extremely negative work environment!

Advice to Management

Most of the Senior Management team graduated from Bethel University and it shows by how poor their leadership and communication skills are. This is an illegitimate school lead by a poorly educated management team. They will lie and be deceitful towards you and your students in order to get what they want. I agree with previous reviews- create a logical training system and fire your entire "leadership" staff. This "university" will not last much longer.

Bad Place to Work

I have been working at Bethel University TN

Pros

Employees receive a discount on their degrees, friendly coworkers

Cons

Leadership is a JOKE!!!! The only people being promoted are leadership. No jobs are ever posted; they do not care about students, the organization is often ran like an elementary school, decisions are based on emotions, promotions are given to unqualified people (a lot of them don't have degrees), recruiters do more marketing than actual recruiting while the marketing team come up with time consuming task that do not lead to recruiting students. A lot of inexperienced people are running this organization and is slowly bringing it down!!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of all Leadership throughout the entire organization, not just at the traditional campus!!! ALL OVER!!!! Organizations are as strong as their leadership and if this type of leadership stays in place Bethel will be closing its doors real soon!

Horrible place of work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at Bethel University TN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and location and parking

Cons

Not a family friendly workplace. Will Not Work With Your Schedule IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN. UNFAIR TREATMENT TO EMPLOYEES; CONSTANTLY LYING TO THE EMPLOYEES ABOUT IMPORTANT ISSUES. SENIOR LEADERSHIP REFUSES TO LISTEN TO EMPLOYEES. they only communicate among senior leadership. Horrible management in the all areas of the school, except MBA financial aid. Constant turn over ratio with recruitment. . senior leadership is rude to everyone. Refuse to give raises to employees no matter how long you have been there.

Advice to Management

Replace management with people whom care more about the students than themselves.

TERRIBLE WORK ENVIRONMENT--DISRESPECTFUL TO EMPLOYEES

Former Employee - Full-time Recruiter-Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Full-time Recruiter-Advisor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Bethel University TN full-time

Pros

Free parking and good location.

Cons

Employees are expected to work nights, weekend, or anytime they want, with days notice no matter what. Employees constantly talked down to and they only way to work your way up in the organization is to make friends with the righ people and kiss up. Hard work is not rewarded. I have seen them run off many great employees based on everything but their work ethics and effort. They like to fire people, so your job is never safe. If you don't get fired, they will "let you stay" for a paycut, some of which were 30%. DO NOT GO TO WORK HERE. Everyone there is unhappy and would love to move. For a christian univerisity, they are the most unchristian place I have ever encountered.

Advice to Management

There are too many ego problems in managment to let real leadership work in this organization.

11. An organizational program that is highly unorganized

I worked at Bethel University TN full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, I will mis the friendships I made while working there. I know a couple who will remain my friends, but I know that most will forget me.

Cons

Lack of proper training. Management has the high school mentality of "it wasn't my fault" finger pointing. Highly unorganized! Communication is very difficult. Management proudly uses intimidation to get their employees to do their job. This college has been around for many years yet they are just now establishing job descriptions. How is an employee supposed to know what is required of them if management doesn't even know themselves.

Advice to Management

Create a logical system of communication rather than several different venues. More is NOT better, only more confusing. Establish job requirements and communicate these requirements with your employees. Offer proper training, rather than sitting with another employee for a day or two.